Jak Is Calm And Laid Back – He’s Very Very Confident

Alan Pardew is doing his best – like any good manager – to give young Jak Alnwick the  confidence will need as Newcastle’s goalkeeper for the next seven or eight important games.

Jak Alnwick Arsenal

Jak Alnwick – confident lad

That’s if Jak needs it, since he has lots of confidence in his own ability, but our defense didn’t help Jak on Saturday and he was exposed by some poor defending in front of him at the Emirates.

This is what Alan Pardew has said about Jak tonight:

“His personality sort of works as a goalie. He is a calm and kind of laid-back. He isn’t unlike Steve Harper in terms of his manner really.”

“If I’m a defender I prefer that type of goalie than a jumpy around one, he’s been very, very confident.” “I felt a little bit for him on Saturday when he got exposed a bit too much.”

There was a  good example of how calm Steve Harper was at Newcastle when we had that game at QPR a year last May in our second last game of the season, when Rob Elliot was sent off after 82 minutes.

Newcastle were hanging on 2-1 for what was a vital game for the club fighting relegation.

Alan was trying to organize things on the field, and Steve came up beside him on the sideline all set to go on, and Steve gave the manager a look – and Alan started to laugh.

It was almost like Steve’s look was  “now look at the mess we’ve got ourselves into.” 😀

And Steve came on and he was great and calmed everybody down and we won the game 2-1.

Jak will do very well in the Newcastle goal if he shows the same calmness that Steve exhibited that day, and it looks like his manager thinks he can do just that.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Brutooon

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:52 PM

He is not.

Arsenal make 4 shots and then 4 goals conceded.

• jimmysmith

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:59 PM

It’s a ridiculous introduction to the first team. Chelsea at St James’, Arsenal at the Emirates, Tottenham at White Hart Lane, and The Derby at home, coming off, what is it, three straight is it, home losses against them. It’s more a fuggen crucible, than a baptism of fire.

• midweek weekend

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Bit harsh Brutoon

Debut from hell really, we didn’t really protect him well poor defending, first goal a running power header, the t font post one was harsh and the penalty was just out of order, I guess the goal he kinda flapped at was poor but either way we need him there’s no one else woodman ain’t ready, i think we will win tomorrow i just know it!

• Canny in Canberra

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Possession being given away cheaply in midfield led to at least 3 of those goals. I use the term midfield loosely as it appeared non existent for large spells.
    so lay off the lad.

• Shadow_Shearer

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:53 AM

woody/alwick
    Anita colo s.taylor haidara/dummet
    Tioti sissoko colback
    Perez Riviere Roberts

This is the team I would like to see. I would give woody the nod, but happy either way.
    Haidara left back to give him a bit of experience.
    Riviere already has two cup goals, hopefully he will get more. Plus his job will also be to hold up the ball and feed Roberts and Perez. It would be great experience for Roberts aswel.

• Canny in Canberra

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:06 AM

As usual some great ideas as per line ups and tactics but you lot over there need to befriend Pards down the pub or something. Get in his ear and get him to take some of this on board!!

• Canny in Canberra

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Pards feels like a trip to the funfair! Lets hope it’s not more like a house of horrors cos sometimes I feel like i’m on the Ghost Train

• toonincheek

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:45 AM

Canny –

Exactly. The midfield. They didn’t control the
    midfield they way we have been doing during
    our good run.
    Hence, less protection for the back four and less
    chances created.

I don’t blame the selection as such – missing Ssoks
    and Abeid was huge, Tiote didn’t have one of his
    better games and Colback was left to do it all.

• expatmag

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:59 AM

Unfortunately, I think we will lose.

• expatmag

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:01 AM

Canny

Maybe you should go over there and woo Pards. I have heard he likes a bit of extra marital curiculae…..lol

• WestOzMag

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:06 AM

Let’s be frank. No matter what team we had or would have had out against arsenal we always bottle it at the Emirates and at the old Highbury. Can remember just 1 victory at Arsenal in the 33yrs ive followed NUFC

• WestOzMag

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:08 AM

Course we will loose expat. Back to back games in North London followed by the Derby. No way spurs will want to loose to us twice at their home ground.

• Canny in Canberra

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:22 AM

Expat,
    Good for him! Not my thing though. Anyone other than my lad would be trading down so thanks but no thanks 🙂

West
    Arsenal always have been a bit of a bogey team for us. Still think we can nick it at Spurs though. Reverse phycology it’s in their heads that they can’t loose to us twice distraction and pressure for them = opportunity for us!

• expatmag

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:14 AM

And draw in the derby……they are bound to score and we dont have goals in us…. . 1-1

• Brutooon

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:36 AM

Sorry to say, with the current GK we will lose until January 2015.

We will lose at both cups, and we will be around 15-17 places by January 2015

• Canny in Canberra

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:41 AM

Seems to me like some on here are looking for an easy scapegoat to blame our recent loss on.
    Overlooking perhaps the lack of cohesion in defence, sloppy passes in midfield and complete lack of service to who ever happens to be posing as a forward.
    Very little to do with Jak seeing as most of that shit should be being stopped well before it gets to him.

• JAMSHA(PARDEW SLAYER)

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:19 AM

we need a keeper thats all

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:28 AM

Our squad is already pretty big. That is why we have been able to cope. As someone else said on the previous, we need to get to the root cause of these problems.

A cold, fair enough can’t really do much about that. But the amount of muscle strains and injuries has been ludicrous this season, even by our amateurish standards of player fitness. Pards has admitted that players have come/been brought back too early in the past, but there must be issues in training as well.

If we improve the squad it has to be in terms of quality, not quantity.

As for Jak, the only goal that he definitely should have done better with was Cazorla’s first. The rest he had little chance with.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:32 AM

Great result for Sheffield United. A one off game can go anyway, but it will be much harder for them whoever they draw in the next round. Over 2 legs you would expect the cream to rise to the top. Wheels falling off at Southampton, 5 defeats on the spin.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:48 AM

played a game and a half and people are writing Jak off – give him a bloody chance – did well against Chelsea
    against Arsenal had no cover for a lot of the game Arsenal just ran through past our midfield what he did he did ok.
    He will learn a lot/and we will from these games playing against class players.
    Take DeGea at Man Utd started shakily for a season or two but now playing out his skin

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:56 AM

Charlie,
    The same happened with Fraser Forster. A couple of errors in pre season, and he wasn’t good enough. The same people who knocked him then were probably the ones complaining that we sold him for too little once his confidence was up and he was shining against Barca in the Champions League.

• Go toon gooooo

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:07 AM

Drop Sammy Ameobi from that winger position ffs.

• JamesToon

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:13 AM

The game tonight and the Derby are two crucial games and we simply have to win BOTH.

COME ON LADS WE CAN DO THIS!

• firebug666

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:23 AM

I think that I would go 4-4-2 tonight.

Alwick

Anita – Coloccini – Dummit – Haidara

Cabella – Sissoko – Colback – Gouffran

Riviere – Perez

Gouffran back on the left where he looks more comfortable with Riviere in just behind Perez. I think it’s the best we can do for tonight.

• JamesToon

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Chronicle saying that Adam Armstrong may have a big role tonight

• LGFUAD21

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:34 AM

What worries me about the last article is it kind of sounds like Willo is a starter.

Also I have been defending tiote a lot on here and I’m not doing a complete 180 but I do agree with whoever yesterday said he holds on to the ball and invites pressure.

I used to think “he keeps possession and protects the ball” but at arsenal I completely saw him not releasing it quick enough.

• LGFUAD21

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Charlie and lg.

It’s ridiculous.

The lads 21 for Christs sake. That’s the goalkeeping equivalent of a 17 year old defender.

He was also given no protection whatsoever against arsenal. And in all fairness all of arsenals finishes were top draw.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:44 AM

LGF,
    Tiote does hold onto the ball too long on occasions, but on Saturday it was amplified because Goofy and Sammi were not giving him options for a pass. Without Sissoko – and in the past Cabaye – Tiote has always tried to do too much with the ball. He looks at his best when he wins it and keeps it simple, but I think he tries to take on too much when other more established offensive players are absent.

Firebug,
    I wouldn’t want to see Goofy or Riviere start. Out of interest, what is it you see in Riviere? Having watched him and read various reports on him I just don’t see what people see in him. His goal record in France was average at best. I’d be happier giving him a chance out wide left as part of the attack, but don’t see the point in continuing with him as a centre forward.

• firebug666

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Lil,

Riviere is best suited to the left I agree, my reason for dropping him in with Perez is simply to give Perez someone to run off. and I always thought that Riviere and Perez have both been isolated in their forward positions, putting them both in their may be just what they need to get going.

With Goofy, When he first came to us he was played on the left and looked pretty good, He got forward, even when the strikers did not, and got crosses in, shots at goal and even scored a few, he also got back in defence. For me he is much more suited to the left.

The team is just my opinion of who I would play and where out of what is available. But I think it could work.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Firebug,
    Goofy has been ineffective wherever he has played for nearly a year now. Even this season most of his appearances have been on the left. I think he over performed when he first arrived, and we are now seeing a player much more like the one who appeared for Bordeaux, a lot of huff and puff but little product. I see him as an okay squad player, but not a player that should be in our starting 11.

I don’t see anything in Rivi’s game that makes me think he will cut it in the Prem. If we do get Ings or Mitrovic in Jan, then I fully expect Rivi to drift out of any sort of contention. However, I think Rivi probably will get the nod tonight, but partly because I think Perez will be rested by Pards. I’d be happy for Rivi to prove me wrong.

I think Pards will look at tonight as the easier of the 2 to lose for him, so will keep back a few for Sunday. A spirited defeat away from home to Spurs isn’t a bad result in reality, whereas a defeat on Sunday will be a disaster for Pards, spirited or not. I reckon that will play on his mind, given his conservative attitude, hence thinking Perez could be rested.

• 70TWO

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:15 AM

We have enough defenders to NOT need to put Anita back there, he should be in a four man midfield with Cabella amd Riviere up front.

• firebug666

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Gouffran has been poor of late I have to say, but he has played on the right most of his time this season, and to be fair to both him and Riviere, the team has not performed well either.

I’m still for giving both a chance, and if the team starts to perform well, we might see the best of them.

You are right about the inept one, part of his mindset will be on Sunday no matter what he says to the media. On ITV this morning he was saying we are going out to win this game tonight, but will his team selection reflect that?

On Sunday the Makems will arrive full of hope after the past 3 meetings, and they will be up for this game and firing on all cylinders. Our players have looked poor in the past against them seemingly having no idea of what the derby is about. It’s a must win game for the Toon and that has to be drummed into our players.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Firebug,
    Of Goofy’s 15 appearances this season, 10 have been on the left. It isn’t a coincidence we improved and looked more dangerous after he got injured in my opinion. I like Goofy, I just don’t think he is good enough to warrant a starting position given the emergence of others.

I agree Rivi has been isolated, but he also doesn’t make the movement that a lone centre forward needs to make. He is far too static. The team has been poor, but again our improvement in form coincided with him being out. Our goals have been scored without him on the pitch. It isn’t like he pulled up trees in an average French league.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one mate.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:35 AM

70Two,
    Who would you put at right back then? Saylor or Dummet or someone else altogether? Anita has played there for Ajax on a number of occasions and has the added mobility to offer going forward and match the pace and movement of whichever sideman Pocchettino goes with. It isn’t his best or a natural position for him, but I think he is probably the best fit with Janmaat out.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Anyway, need to actually get some work done for a bit. Will catch up later.

• LGFUAD21

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Lg

True on riv. He was never a lone striker at Monaco. Looking at him you’d think he’s built for that role. I think he needs to play in a front two as his finishing is below par and that’s based on his Monaco time.

He’s a clumsy player but at Monaco he was always positionally good and very supportive of his strikers.

• firebug666

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Lil

Agreed. But to be fair on Riviere, When he started for us our team was terrible, he was played as the lone striker in the inept one’s 4-2-3-1, he is not suited to that role, I think he played on the left of a front three in France. To me a player who is played in an unfamiliar position in an under performing team that he has just joined is going to look very poor. This is why I would still give him a chance. I will concede the point on Goofy, but still including him in my team as we have no one else, as I’m sure I read somewhere that Sammy has a knock.

• jimmysmith

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I agree that Anita should be fourth choice if we play two defensive mids, maybe even fifth, as Ryan Taylor has looked very good when he’s played, but I hope Vurnon is still considered a big part of the squad, and he knows it. I can think of half a dozen players I’d rather see turned over before him.

• LGFUAD21

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Lg

Also agree on Anita. Any of our cbs at right back would be suicidal. And Dummet is very one footed.

Anita has the pace and the read of the game to do it even if he lacks the strength.

If we were a bit more positive in the midfield it would protect our back four a lot more.

• 70TWO

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Lilongwe Geord,e

RB options are,in order of preference, Saylor Dummett Streete Satka.
    The only times Anita has been used at RB was in a 5 man defence, which limited the width of the team as there was no flanker higher up the pitch. Then as a substitute against Crystal Palace where he was targeted for the free kick which drew the game.
    There are more natural players for that position and I would like to see him in midfield where Anita is more productive.