We’re Pleased To Have Him Back – It’s Now Up To Him

Newcastle’s Argentine winger  Jonas Gutierrez is back in training at Newcastle, and according to manager Alan Pardew he looks quite fit.

jonas gutierrez short hair

Jonas Gutierrez – photographed last month in Buenos Aries

The 31-year-old  has been fighting testicular cancer for the last eighteen months or so, and he has shown great courage in his adversity, but he has recently been given the all clear as cancer free, and has been allowed to resume his football career on Tyneside by his doctors in Argentina.

Jonas is in the last year of his contract at Newcastle, and although some reports are stating that Pardew has said Jonas still has a future at Newcastle, the manager doesn’t actually say that.

This is what Alan Pardew has said about Jonas today to Sky Sports:

“We’re pleased to have him back.”  “Jonas is one of those people who livens up the training ground just with his personality, and obviously his illness has magnified that fact.”

“He hasn’t been around much but he’s in pretty good shape and we are hoping that in two or three weeks he could be back in and around the first-team.”

“He’s keen to earn his right to play but, like any player here, I have to give him an even keel in terms of access to the first team.”  “It’s now up to Jonas but it will certainly be emotional for us and for him when he returns, and we will look forward to it.”

Jonas has been at the club since the summer of 2008, when Kevin Keegan was manager, and fellow Argentine Fabricio Coloccini also  joined Newcastle in August of that year.

Gutierrez has played 194 times for Newcastle with 11 goals, and we wouldn’t be surprised if he is loaned out to another club in January.

But if Jonas plays well in training,  he will also be given his chance in the first team, but the odds have to be slim that he will get a contract extension on Tyneside.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• optimistic prime

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:22 PM

So Jonas will be cover whilst Tiote and Abeid are at ACON

• 70TWO

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I have a feeling we are going to get a repeat of the night time 0-4 home drubbing we got last season off of Spurs tomorrow night. They will cut through us like butter, scoring for fun and Newcastle players will look like they do not have a clue.

• Graeme

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:27 PM

If the rumour about his Contract situation is correct, he has already played his last game for NUFC.

Yes, he’s a great bloke, had a tough time, but his days at NUFC are over which is why he went to Norwich. We all wish him well and hope he makes a full recovery and enjoys many, many, happy years in front of him.

• John Tudor

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

they will be set up to lose
    incompetence abounds just like the arsenal game

• barkel

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:29 PM

@2 great to see the positive thinking!

I’m glad Jonas is back even if it is just until the summer, I’ve always liked him. He’s not as good as he was but he might actually be useful when we are playing ball and not just defending for 75mins!

• Ibizatoon

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:30 PM

70TWO…But apart from that, you’re full of confidence? 🙂

Graeme…Are you referring to the story about his contract being extended if he played a certain amount of games…or some such tale?

I recall something along those lines anyway, can’t remember if it was ever confirmed / clarified.

Still, i’m pleased Jonas is in a position to return. Whether he plays for us again or not, he’s been a loyal player throughout and I’m made up that he’s recovered this quickly. What a battler!

• optimistic prime

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:30 PM

70 two

I felt confident about December as a whole up until the team selection and performance Saturday.

I’m trying not to lose faith, until I see his team sheet and formation I’m going to hang fire and keep the faith.

I’ve been taking my mind off the match trying to decide who’d be best to get in semi then final, a daft game but stops me thinking doom and gloom.

• Graeme

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:31 PM

70TWO – but P45DUE has confirmed that the lessons from Saturday’s abject performance have been learned (once again) and it will be put right for tomorrow and Sunday!!

So probably only 2-1 although I seriously hope for a serious performance from us and a 1 – 0 win. I dont care if its a richochet of the outside of Saylors left bollock, as long as it goes in!!

• jayphoto

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Wouldn’t be surprised to hear Jonas had waived his contract extension right! He knows how stubborn the club is and will want to play himself into the shop window for a move! Hes a very fit lad who could easily be developed into a defensive midfielder! Always plays played well left side of a middle 3 when we went 4-3-3! A fit jonas used correctly is an asset for the squad

• 70TWO

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Winning Manager of the month has been scientifically proven to have a detrimental effect on performances, which is undoubtedly magnified in the case of Pardew. I think I have resisted posting until now after the Arsenal debarcle, but I am still seething. It was a game I predicted we would loose but the manner of the defeat alongside the Managers decisions only point in one direction…..Hopefully I am wrong.

• Graeme

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Ibiza @ 6 – yes, exactly. His playing time with us is over, his pace etc was long gone, when he went to Norwich. I heard he had already been told to find another club before he went there.

• jayphoto

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Saying that, just imagine that 4-2-3-1 with Gouffran right, Jonas left, Tiote in midfield, Willo at centrehalf. Pardew dream team 🙂 *shudders*

• Graeme

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:37 PM

70TWO – is that in any way connected to the research which proves beyond all doubt that winning a cup will get us relegated??

The club did extensive research on that one!! They told us so.

• 70TWO

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:45 PM

A small complaint also directed to those posters who have been saying we should have attacked Arsenal more from the outset. I had the ‘pleasure’ of only seeing the highlights on MOTD and with 4 forwards on the pitch I can not imagine a more attacking starting eleven. We woefully lacked any quality in comparison to them and were unable to provide the attackers with much of an opportunity because Pardew completely under estimated their midfield, for which they are renowned. It had all the hallmarks of “We missed Cabaye”, how this manager repeatedly builds a team that is totally dependent on one player is outstandingly bad.

• Ibizatoon

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Graeme…Jayphoto makes a valid point. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jonas waived such a right, just so that he can get some games.

Jayphoto….That 4-2-3-1 with Obertan involved will be what dreams are made of mate.