Goalkeeper Needs To Know – Geordie Fans Right Behind Him

It will be a challenge for Newcastle manager Alan Pardew to get third choice Newcastle goalkeeper Jak Alnwick mentally ready for the game against Sunderland on Sunday, after the 21 year-old made a couple of critical errors in the game at Tottenham on Thursday night.

jak alnwick chelsea

Jak Alnwick – challenge for the goalkeeper on Sunday

This is what Alan Pardew has said about the situation with Jak in today’s press conference:

“The game is going to be pressurised for Jak because of the error that got punished, and I’ve seen many better goalies than Jak make a similar error and not get punished because there’s a defender there.”

“Unfortunately for him it ended up in the back of the net, so there’s pressure on him for that mistake, and the fact that he’s third choice here. I think he will deal with it – I think he’s a strong enough character to do that.”

“I think it’s important to talk to players, particularly young players, and I would have been speaking to Jak whether he had made the mistake or not,” he said. “So for sure, yes, I’ll be talking to him.”

It was very difficult for Jak on Wednesday night,  and he looked devastated after the game, and the truth is he’s been thrown in at the deep end – to use Rob Lee’s words in the Chronicle today.

But Jak is also a much better goalkeeper than he showed last time out – and he was very unlucky – and it’s right what Alan Pardew says – better goalkeepers have made similar mistakes.

Jak needs to know the faithful Newcastle fans will be right behind him on Sunday afternoon from the first whistle – and they will give Jak their full backing to get through the game.

Here’s Jak’s Twitter account – if you want to send him a note of support and tell him to forget about Wednesday night – it’s really not his fault.

And Jak can be the hero on Sunday, just as he was in the second half against Chelsea.

Howay The Lads!!

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• 70TWO

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Alnwick is unlucky to be playing behind a dodgy defence and a midfield that is not set up to cover the defence. Any descent manager would have it as a top priority to protect the keeper, but no AP does the opposite and tries to attack without any organisation around gaining possession and applying pressure around the oppositions penalty box.

• bladeuser

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Whats so hard about catching a ball when there is nobody near u who gives a toss if he is young no experiance what of catching a ball he like the rest of them are payed fortunes i would expect him to catch a simple cross or get another job

• Transfer Sage

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Yes he should have caught it but he’s just come into the team, shipped 4 goals in the last match (none his fault) and he might be nervous.

I know at 21 is be nervous knowing everyone was relying on me in a cup quarter final, hell I know a lot get like that in subday league football, nervous on big days.

I’ve been like that myself playing my sport, stepping up a level with added pressure sometimes makes you slip up on routine stuff you could normally do with your eyes shut.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:44 PM

At the end of the day the cub, players, fans and even himself know he isn’t going to be a long term keeper at newcastle. Just got to back him during the match (ok to discuss his mistakes here though) and hope he rises to the occasion until the main two are back.

• Average_Contents

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:45 PM

The king has called for “more sense” in rolando’s contract negotiations.

Maybe the star were actually on to something. I just hope his money grabbing agents ain’t taking the piss asking for silly money for let’s face it, a player who hasn’t really played much and shown the club he can be consistent in his performances. Like I said earlier the contract could be amended if he does perform over a period of say a year.

Far too early to be dishing out 30-40k a week which is what I’m imagining his slimy agents saying he’s worth. I’m with the club on this one and I never thought I’d say that lol, although I’d push up from 6k (if true) maybe 10-15k. Sounds fair to me.

• 70TWO

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:46 PM

bladeuser

Have you ever pissed and missed the toilet, stubbed your toe, caught your elbow, dropped a plate, knocked your car, swore at someone when its your fault or missed your Mums birthday?

Your not payed to do ordinary every day things but sh#t still happens.

• 70TWO

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Stephen Harper ?@steveharper37
    Get behind the young lad by singing his name to pick him up & watch him grow in response to it.. #toonarmy

• Wayayman

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Cabella and Riviere both missed the ball a yard from the goal with the net gaping after Perez’s hard work down the right. If one of them had made any sort of decent contact on the ball we would have been 2-1 down with about 35 minutes left. No one here mentions that, instead jumps on the bandwagon criticizing a young lad making his 2nd appearance behind a terrible defence with only 1 decent player (Collo)

Let’s not get carried away here, Alnwick didn’t have a great game, but neither did he have the shocker some are making out. He’s been thrown in at the deep end, get behind him and give him full support and see what happens.

How do you think negativity from HIS OWN SUPPORTERS will affect his performance, make him play better or worse? It’s not rocket science.

• Average_Contents

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:55 PM

And to add, by him being consistant, I’m not saying he’s not been. I mean a prolonged run in the side delivering the goods. Obviously he’d need to be fit to do this. A situation not helped by being played against expert advice. The king knows best. Short term gain, long term loss. Thanks.

• 70TWO

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:59 PM

The boyhood Newcastle United fan still dreams of taking charge at St James’ Park or leading his native Northern Ireland out. “Nothing would make me prouder, my heart would be beating out of my chest for both those opportunities at some stage in my career.”
    Watch the full interview with Johnny McKinstry – Football Focus, BBC One on Saturday 20 December at 12:10 GMT.

One to watch out for: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30472392

• IrishGeordie9

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Can we all shutup about Alnwick now? Thanks.

• optimistic prime

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Someone should tell him the goals behind him

• 70TWO

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM

optimistic prime – oh no it isn’t!

• bladeuser

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:25 PM

70two
    i think everbody knows shit happens that does not mean he cannot b critisised for dropping a simple catch which he is payed bloody good money to do so thats life he is in a profession where your every move is scrutinised he took the plaudits after chelsea like any job if your no good take the high road

• mag92

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Pardew’s, going to have a word with him, so that’s good.

• IrishGeordie9

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Bladeuser

For once I agree with your post. Well done sir. Great post. 😀

• mag92

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:35 PM

16, patronising!

• Thump

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM

I get it. He’s our third choice keeper, he’s not ready, we’re pretty much at our worst case scenario with young Alnwick taking the sticks for the derby but are all of these articles really helping? If I were him, I’d be bricking it just because people are coming out and saying that he isn’t ready. The lad’ll probably be sitting there going “christ, they’re right, I’m not ready!”

Let’s just accept that he’s the best we have and move on with it. Start Saylor in the back, let him organise and protect Alnwick and let’s at the very least give the Mackem’s a bloody game!

• toon kk

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Everyone must remember Jak is just a kid who wouldn’t be in goal if we hadn’t injuries, but for me our team aren’t doing enough to protect him. We are in that mode where we’re not even turning up at the moment. In fact we are sh.t!
    Prepare yourselves for a good thumping off Sunderland.

• matt1973

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Totally agree with wayayman.
    Cabella and Rivière missed two sitters and not a mention on here. Cabella and Rivière are falling well short of the standard required. French league must be pretty poor if these guys were shining lights last year.

• Thump

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM

@bladeuser (14): I agree, but let’s be honest, we’ve seen worse howlers before – Green’s fumble against the Yanks, almost every goal Higuita ever conceded, and my personal favourite – Wor Shay learning where Dublin is.

Let’s just support the kid, eh?

• mag92

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Shay Given, was 21 years old, when Newcastle, signed him.

• Thump

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM

@matt: I think Rivvy missing a sitter is expected at this stage. I was hoping his offside attempt would at least be on target so that he’d get his confidence up a bit. Fat bloody chance of that happening.

• Gaelictoon

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Thump
    A couple of goals could change things for Rivière but to honest I’d play Armstrong before him. Armstrong is going to be some player in a few years.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Jak Alnwick asked to go out on loan to get first team experience and was denied in case we needed him. They (the regime) are reaping what they sow. It will not matter one jot to Ashley if we lose four in a row to the mackems, we will be reminded for the rest of our lives.

• mag92

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM

How many sitters does Soldado, or Balottelli, miss; the difference is they get plenty of chances, whilst our strikers get one chance!

• optimistic prime

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I’ve just got a early Xmas present…

A ticket for the Derby 🙂

Think my sister knew not going was killing me, happy as a dog with two dicks.

• 70TWO

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:11 PM

bladeuser

My point is that if he had never caught a cross in his entire life he would certainly not be in the position he is in now. Criticism could equally be leveled elsewhere and is not helpful in this case as he will be in goal for the foreseeable future. Nothing can be done about it and any negativity from the crowd will only make the matter worse, or is that what you want?

I’m off for Pizza and Pint(s); and i’m late already.

• toon kk

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Optimistic
    you’ll wish you hadn’t got the tickets when we’re getting a good thumping off a better side. We have to many injuries to compete.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:16 PM

toon kk,
    Wash your mouth out with that old green nana soap.

• mag92

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Newcastle, should hammer the Mackems, their midfield is chronic and we’re at home. 3-1! Especially if Wes Brown’s, playing

• mag92

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:22 PM

29, Carbolic soap!

• Average_Contents

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Anyone heard what O’shea said about colback? Haha the immature tit. I’m not shaking his hand before the match. Really are bitter aren’t they!

• toonbrother

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:28 PM

I’ll tweet him now
    He needs to know with colocinni in the mix he never stood a chance of getting a clean sheet

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I suppose that’s the price of social media, those players that use twitter leave them selves open to hear the thoughts of idiots like toonbrother.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Good Evening ladies, are we in a good mood.

• Thump

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:45 PM

@mga92 (25): This has been our problem for a lot of Pardew’s reign, and a huge problem with his style of football. When you’re sitting back and playing on the break, every shot needs to count (see: Chelsea vs. Bayern in the ECL – 9 shots, 3 on target, 1 goal).

Dunno what it is about Pardew, he just can’t break down defences… or organise defences… or… yeah.

• Jeff from Benwell

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I hope the refs are well aware of the Colback bad feeling Hes going to need protecting on Sunday

• jayphoto

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:52 PM

@70two – nice interview that! Cheers for posting

• jayphoto

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Anyone seen the programme for sunday? Stirring it up a bit