Derby Result Can Change Newcastle’s Season – Good Or Bad

Alan Pardew has talked about the derby game tomorrow, and we just hope that we don’t lose again to make it four defeats in a  row – in short – that would be unbearable.

alan pardew at tottenham 4-0

Alan Pardew – wants a win

Alan admitted in his press conference yesterday, that he didn’t get into the derby game and didn’t get too emotional about it like some of his coaches do (John Carver and Steve Stone no doubt), but maybe that’s even a disadvantage for the manager?

We have some difficult games coming up at Manchester United and at home to Everton, so if we are to do fairly well over the Christmas period of games, this is probably the best chance we have of getting all 3 points.

A win is what we need and a draw wouldn’t be good enough (but we’d take it).

This is what Alan has said about the game tomorrow:

“I’ve been lucky enough to play in cup finals and things like that but the electricity of this game is something you have to be at to appreciate, and I’m looking forward to experiencing that again.”

“The perception of the season could change. If Sunderland win then they’ve had a good first half of the season and if we win then we’ve had a really good first half.”

“Points-wise it’s still three points, and we must not get away from that. We are in a great position in the league and if we win then we can take ourselves right in amongst the top six again.”

“This is the period when top teams come through. There is no mystery to me that Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea are all picking up now as they have bigger squads and real quality and they are in the groove.”

“If you’re going to make an impact you have to do it in December. We have got tough games and we’ve got to try get the best results we can.” “If we can make it through to January in this position I would take it now and I think we could have a good second half to the season.”

“This is an occasion, like any big derby, where some players just don’t grasp the intensity.” “Some players freeze and are overawed by the size of the fixture. I’ll be watching out for that.”

“You are looking out for certain things but it is a great occasion and you know the best players respond.” “That’s the sort of atmosphere you want to play in and I think most of our players are looking forward to it in the best possible way.”

“I think with us being at home and with where we are in the league we must be favourites, but the derby is such as game that really and truly it all goes out the window.”

We haven’t won against Sunderland since August of 2011, and our last home win against the Black Cats was in October of 2010, when we hammered them 5-1 and Kevin Nolan got a hat-trick.

Chris Hughton was also fired less than five weeks after that game – which was amazing given that great result – maybe we should have won 7-1?

I don’t know who would score the goals for us (Cisse and Perez – I answered my own question),  but another 5-1 win would be good tomorrow.

In fact it would be absolutely great – come to think of it.

Bottom line – we need the points tomorrow.

Howay The Lads!!

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Graeme

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Win, Lose or draw – we will be bang on target to avoid both relegation places and European places – mission accomplished for the season.

Just have to make sure that pesky FA Cup doesn’t last too long or we will have more “tired” players than we can cope with!!!

• LGFUAD21

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Don’t get why people are recently calling for roberts to play.

What has anybody really seen of him other than one solo effort.

Sylvain ebanks Blake had one of those.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:15 PM

LGFUAD, I think it is based purely on frustration because Cabella and Gouffran have both been very poor on the wings

• LGFUAD21

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Well Gouffran is another issue.

But cabella needs time and patience from the fans. I think the board and coaching staff expected him to take a while to adapt.

Just been speaking to a mate who said cabella remind him of Ronaldo in his first system. Not in terms of style but in terms of needing to lean our game. Point is that the book is open and I think he just needs to be given time to do it.

• LGFUAD21

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:19 PM

There is an irony that the same people criticising cabella are the same people that “worry for the kids”.

Those with a lack of patience essentially asking for patience with youngsters.

• Jeff from Benwell

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM

What a goal from Benteke

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM

On the derby, I really think we should be winning it. Sunderland look pretty poor this season and tend to try and hit teams on the counter (which they’re not very good at).
    They seriously lack firepower, Altidore is completely useless (remember when some people wanted him?’ and they’re star man is Fletcher, who has the turning circle of a tugboat.
    I just hope Pards sets us up correctly. Gouffran and Williamson really deserve a rest I would say…
    I hope the strong geordie contingent in the team will help to give us the passion and drive we need!

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:24 PM

LGF,

I for one think Cabella will come good. He needs some good coaching, I hate the amount of shots he scuffs, that is just a lack of confidence. One good goal or performance and I think we will see a big improvement in the little fella.

I for one have not been calling for Roberts. Mind you I did call for him to come on at HT against spurs because we were really struggling and our options on the bench were so limited.

• LGFUAD21

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:28 PM

7Tinman

Oh yeah. R the patience thing. I wasn’t calling you out. Just a general statement not aimed at any one in particular.

I feel the same with cabella. His first goal could be the spark to ignite him. He always shows flashes but he’s a long way of a consistent performance.

• toon kk

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Tinman
    we are very poor at the moment too.
    With all our injuries and Pards reverting back to his old negative tactics Sunderland will be the better side.
    I predict another loss is on the cards,

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Don’t worry mate I knew you weren’t! I’m in Korea at the moment so hardly get a chance to post anymore, nobody is ever online!

Cabella has some brilliant skills. Pardew keeps talking about bulking him up, I’m not sure it is necc
    essary to a large extent. Look at Hazard, Silva etc, the type of players he should be trying to emulate.

• davidon

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Hows about this for a typical Ashley scenario, aarons signs a new contract in January and Pardew hails this as like making a new signing and you can guess the rest.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:32 PM

toon,

It is true. We have had a lucky run and owe a lot of our points to a certain Ayoze Perez. Who I already worry about, Pardew shifting him around all these positions.

Versatility seems to be a bad trait to have when Pardew is manager…

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Tinman,
    What you doing in Korea

• LGFUAD21

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I think hazard is very strong on the ball which is against type for a player like him. Always knew when I watched him at Lille he’d be perfect for the prem.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I think to get a win we should get Haidara in at LB, I really rate him, his workrate is fantastic, his defending is pretty good and his attacking is great. I also here he has the best long rage shot in our squad, but have yet to see it.
    That means you have the option of shifting Dummet into the centre. To everyones surprise he has done really well in there and we have looked more solid with him there. Even Collo has appeared more confident alongside Dummet.
    The next decision is Tiote or Abeid? I think based on recent performances Abeid should get the nod. I also think he is less likely to lose his head in what could be a heated game.
    Then we have to choose wingers. Sammy seems nailed on for the left, so you have to choose between Cabella, Gouffran and Perez for the right. I would go for Cabella, he might have the spark to win what will be a tight fixture. That means Perez can start as CF where he deserves his chance.
    If Cabella is struggling then at HT move Perez to the right and bring on Cisse.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Jail,
    I’m studying here for a year. Coming home for christmas and New Year! Sick of getting up at 04:00am to watch this dross which Pards serves up!

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM

LGF,
    All small guys have that low centre of gravity, so can make themselves very difficult to get off the ball without that much power. He just needs it coached into him. I do feel Cabella looks to go down rather than stay on his feet. He would be difficult to get off the ball if he stood his ground a bit more.

• Bambams

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Would be happier playing
    Janmaat Dummet Colo Haidara.
    Taylor can be rather rash at times.
    Middle of the park….
    Moussa – Colback – Cabella
    Up front….
    Perez- Cisse-Sammy/Arma
    Perez could drop back to four across the middle if under the cosh…..
    Arma needs some playing time and we need to be offensive. Feel sad for Alnwick thrown in at deep end. Why or why we do not have a recall clause for the two Forest lads !!!!!
    Tiote has not done it for me this season and I think he is away in January.
    Too many worries about this game, best one to win – worst one to lose !

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Bambams,
    It is simply crazy that there is no recall.
    Personally I think Perez has earned his right to be the main man up front. Suggesting he could drop all the way back into a midfield 4 is simply madness to me.
    Moussa has been fantastic as the CAM in recent games, it seems mad to drop him further back as well.
    Not sure how Armstrong would do on the wing. Think he is an out and out CF. He should have been sent on loan at the start of the season.

• Go toon gooooo

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Sunderland would never be the team with losers Larsson and Katermouth..
    But Poyet vs Pardew is one directional thing up until now.Pardew is so so inferior.Poyet is Pardew Slayer in the true sense of the word.Draw there would be good result.Some things must go through transition.Lose then draw then win.

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Go toon,

I absolutely hate Clattermole. And having met him I can tell you he is a complete @re$hole! But to be fair to the bloke he has been playing pretty well this season.

Larsson offers very little to be honest except the deadball. Saying that I can’t remember his last FK goal.

• beefman13

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Alnwick
    Janmatt
    Dummett
    Colocinni
    Saylor
    Colback
    Sissoko
    Perez
    Cisse
    Ameobi

Subs Woodman, Williamson, Haidara, Cabella, Goffran, Armstrong,Riviere.

Nailed on certain starting lineup (famous last words)

i would love to see young Callum Roberts involved but it wont happen as Pardew wont drop a senior out of the squad for a youngin if the senior is fit. i would not be bothered or afraid one bit if any youngins were involved especially local lads as i have watched certain senior pros fcuk up so many times that they hardly fill me with confidence.

• beefman13

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Ooops missed a player out, hope he picks Armstrong but Riviere will prob get the call, i dont think Gouffy deserves his spot at all, naff since last Xmas.

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Looks pretty close to spot on what he will play beefman

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Beefman,
    I’ve got an ‘orrible feeling Gouffran is going to be in that starting eleven.

• John Tudor

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM

look at soton they dare

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Charlie Austin, what a performance. England call up beckons.

• beefman13

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Tin, i would be happy with that starting line up, love him to play Arma but even coming on as sub he can shake things up, young Roberts has skill in abundance watched the lad all through his time at the toon, not afraid to take anyone on and defiantly will get us out of our seats in time if given the chance.

Thing is im not sure at all if Pardew will give the lad a chance, the other youngins who have came through only got the chance because of injury’s, i think Pardew sees it as an act of desperation if he plays a youngin over a senior, imo.

• geordie157

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Nice to see Good is back in training. Just hope Pards doesn’t play him at right back if he makes the 1st team.

• beefman13

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Jail, i certainly would not put it past Pardew to involve Gouffran from the start, i personally do not think the lad deserves a start, he is just our new Jonas, hard graft and not much else, shame because before last Xmas he was a shoe in for us.

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:54 PM

beefman,

The future looks seriously bright for our youngsters. Surely Roberts should be looking to get loaned? I know nothing of the lad to be quite honest. But if he is the flying winger he is made out to be then him on the right and Aarons on the left looks mouthwatering.

I have been saying Pardew out for a long long time now. He has passion, but so does half the football fans in the country.

Hopefully Ashley will head north soon and Pardew the puppet will follow.

• Go toon gooooo

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Tinman

Superficially they are both good players.But the team can only lose with that kind of characters.Same with Nolan and Barton for us.For me personally Sunderland is one of the teams ready for relegation.And the reason for that would be exactly these two players.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Beefman,
    I remember seeing him at the Chelsea game on his debut, i thought he was Obertan on performance enhancing drugs at first.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:57 PM

It’ll be interesting to see how Gosling performs in the PL with Bournemouth next year.

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Go toon,

I don’t think they will go down, but they could be mighty close. I think the bottom half of the Premier League is particularly poor this season.

• beefman13

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Tin, yea Roberts may well get loaned out, with him and Arma and Aarons along with young Streete, we have quite a bit of real quality coming through, i did champion Adam Campbell so i have to hold my hands up on that one for now, he has everything apart from height, he just seems frozen out of the picture, and he has not done well while out on loan, still mystified by the situation involving him.

• JamesToon

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I think tomorrow we need players who can bring flair, pace and energy and can cause problems right from the off.
    front 3 of Cabella-perez-Ameobi.

ABEID has to start, alongside Sissoko and Colback.

Haidara would certainly help us attacking wise, links up really well with ameobi like Cabella and perez link up each other.
    However dummett may be a more safe option and left back.

Need Saylor and colo at the back to deal with the height of fletcher

• beefman13

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Jeez, forgot about Tiote and Abeid, Pardew will play Tiote if he is fit, rather Abeid for me though.

• stestickle

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Janmaat— Dummet—- Colo—— Haidara.

——————- tiote————————-

moussa——–colback

——————cabella———————–

perez arma

442 diamond fullbacks bombing forward
    dont see cisse more than super sub as his all round
    game is poor