This Could Be Newcastle’s Best Team Against Sunderland

We will hope to stop the rot against Sunderland at home tomorrow, and hopefully get only our second win against the Black Cats since Newcastle have been managed by Alan Pardew.

Moussa Sissoko PR goal

Moussa Sissoko – key player tomorrow

Alan’s record is not good against Sunderland and in 7 matches played we have won only one and lost the last three.

The manager went into some detail yesterday why we have lost the last three, and some of that was because Sunderland out fought us in those games.

That’s completely unacceptable and one way we can fix that tomorrow is have a number of Geordies starting in the side.

Steven Taylor will come back into the side tomorrow for Mike Williamson, and the starting eleven will also include local lads Jak Alnwick, Paul Dummett, Jack Colback and Sammy Ameobi.

Nine Newcastle players – Tim Krul, Rob Elliot, Mehdi Abeid, Ryan Taylor, Rolando Aarons, Gabby Obertan, Siem de Jong, Davide Santon and Curtis Good – are all out injured for this game, and not many of them will be returning before next year.

The good news is next year is less than two weeks away. 😀

With Moussa Sissoko being back in the side, he will be an important player for us tomorrow, and Daryl Janmaat will return at right back from his one game suspension.

We expect this to be the starting eleven tomorrow with the team playing in an attacking 4-3-3 formation.

Alnwick
Janmaat Taylor (S) Coloccini (c) Dummett
Tiote  Sissoko Colback
Perez Cisse Ameobi
Subs: Woodman Haidara Williamson Gouffran Armstrong Cabella Riviere

That’s five changes to the side that were beaten 4-0 at Tottenham in midweek.

The difficulty with the above team is who plays on the right wing, and it could be Pardew again starts Gouffran and Perez up front (with Sammy on the left) and brings in Papiss Cisse in the second half.

The still frail Cabella would be too much of a risk, having never experienced the passion of a Newcastle Sunderland derby.

But we wanted to start the most attacking side we can, which is why we have Cisse and Perez both starting this game up front, and if both start Alan could even play in a 4-4-2 formation to accommodate the two strikers.

And we have another Geordie – Adam Armstrong – on the bench, and Adam could get some playing time in the second half.

Adam looked good at Tottenham and he must be given his chance again very soon.

What would your team be for tomorrow, and what formation would you play?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• beermonkey

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

come on ed it will be 4231 willo and goofy will be in the team

• Transfer Sage

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I’d be willing to go with Eds team, think it is one of the best we can manage.

Only possible changes to that for me would be to play dummet and colo as CB with haidara left back but with them putting good balls in the box to fletcher and wickham might need to use taylor as Ed says.

The other change could be to play perez through the middle with cabella but cabella has yet to show enough for me (although I think he needs a central role).

• Slank

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I think the backline would be more effective if it was:

Janmaat – Colo – Dummitt – Haidara

Dummitt is a better centre half than a left back.
    Colo is better on the right as he is right footed.
    Haidara is the best left back we have.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:14 AM

If the team Ed has said starts I think we will win, if we use the likes of willo and gouff I think we will be in for a long game, we won’t offer much of a threat and they will out do us on set plays so would back them to nick it.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM

slank

I’d go along with that, but I think taylor is a better CB than dummet, although makes more obvious mistakes but not more mistakes than others (if that makes sense written down).

• beermonkey

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM

sage

cabella perez Sammy for me up front I don’t think cisse got 90 mins in him and we have had a lot of goals from him in the second half

• Transfer Sage

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM

beer

I’d start cisse, rather gte a good 50 mins than just have him for the last 20/30 minutes.

Cabella has offered nothing out wide, doesn’t have the pace to get at fullbacks, even when he beats them they get back at him, he needs a central role but can’t with sissoko, colback and tiote there.

I think our only option for the wide right is perez, or could try armstrong, he has pace and would run in behind well, make good runs ‘out to in’ I think. (Armstrong is streets ahead of gouff and riviere for me).

• N1CK06

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Agree on the players. Sissoko is going to be key player for us especially going forward and creating chances. For this reason I’d put him as more of a CAM behind 2 strikers Perez and Cisse.

Colback – Tiote – Sammy
    Sissoko
    Perez – Cisse

• N1CK06

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I’d like to see Armstrong get a run being subbed on for Perez. He looked good during has chance in the Arsenal game. Also being a local lad he knows very well how important this game to the fans and is going to give 110%

• ryno62474

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I agree with Ed’s front 6, but also agree as otheres suggested with Colo and Dummett in the center. Haidara has given us good defensive work on the left and is better going forward than Dummett.

To solve the problem on the right wing I believe it is time to let Perez have an extended tryout there. He is much better facing goal than having his back to it and he can always overload the high right slots for an extra attacking punch. At this point there is no breaking up the central mid triangle of Tiote/Colback/Sissoko for my money. Big day today!

• AmericanGeordie

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:40 PM

I agree with Ed’s starting XI.

Of course, Pardew will set them up in a 4-2-3-1, as would I. (Tiote & Colback behind Sissoko in the center of the park.)