We have Spirit, Quality And Intensity To Win This Game

Newcastle have not beaten Sunderland in our last five encounters with them,  and we have lost three in  a row, and Alan Pardew is in danger of being the first Newcastle manager ever to lose four games in a row against the old enemy.

Alan Pardew burnley

How Alan Pardew will look today id we lose – again?

Alan Pardew does not have a good record against Sunderland having only won once – at the Stadium of Light in August, 2011, in seven attempts since taking over the reigns at Newcastle four years ago.

These last two fixtures at Newcastle have ended up in 3-0 defeats for the Magpies, and we wont even mention we have conceded four goals in each of our last two games over the last week.

This is what Alan Pardew has said about the game today:

“I think, this time around, we are much better set for this game than in the previous two here in terms of the spirit, quality and intensity in the group.”

“Those things are very important in this game. Spirit, quality and intensity – that wins you games.”

“There aren’t many managers who were here longer than me, although Bobby Robson was one.”

“But certainly, there have been many managers here who have not been lucky enough to be involved in as many derby fixtures. Hopefully this will be my turn again.”

We really need a win today, but we’ll even take a draw – anything but another embarrassing defeat which would be very hard to take for Newcastle fans.

One of our key players today will be young Jak Alnwick in goal, and it will be another test for the local lad, after he made one or two mistakes in the 4-0 hammering at Tottenham on Wednesday night.

Newcastle fans don’t seem too confident about the result, with almost 60% thinking we will not win this game.

How Will Newcastle fare Against Sunderland?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

How do you think the game will go today?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:51 AM

We might have spirit, quality and intensity, but the management, tactically approve and understanding is still below average!

…anything can happen I suppose but as I have come to realize it’s still not worth watching (for the most parts)

• spitfire_

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:58 AM

What was the point to say that there isn’t many managers who are be longer than him at Newcastle?

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:59 AM

On Sissoko, he’s definitely not leaving because bills said so, Mashers wouldn’t do that to us, bills also said Mashley would leave us all with egg on our faces and make some stellar signings last January…….
    Sissoko staying or going has nothing to do with the clubs ambition or planned direction, it will rest solely on someone coming up with a set valuation, or close to it.

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Yay Jesper!

Why did you abandon us to the trolls? It’s a bit of a nightmare in here, start some decent discussions and the ruiners start popping up causing needless trouble.

Yesterday Sitc said roughly the same as Pards, we’re a better team now, plus they are rubbish, but this means nothing at all seeing as it was arguably a worse s*#derland team that thrashed us the last two times.

it’s all down to what shape Pardew plays, and if he insists on that ‘come into my parlour’ nonsense well be 3 down in 20 minutes.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM

What the slimy fcuker is saying is that he’s lodt so many because he’s played more than most.

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:03 AM

from previous thread

cheers beermonkey and Tsunki

but don’t worry though because when my little ass kicker gets older Pardew and Mashley will be gone 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:04 AM

This is the least confident going into a derby I have felt in a long time. A combination of Pardew and the goalkeeper situation I guess. It might be a good thing, cause I have felt we were more then good enough last few times, and still failed to triumph. Hopefully the lads will surprise me again today(just in a good way this time).

I’m not entirely sure who is and isn’t fit. Is Sammy available? Is Abeid? Saylor, Sissoko, Tiote and Cisse all appear to be available, but I haven’t seen anything on the other 2.

I wouldn’t start Cisse. He has his ongoing knee problem and I’d let someone else run O’Shea and co ragged to start with. Bring Cisse on when they retiring and he can find those pockets of space in the box.

If Sammy is available, I’d start with him. Perez has to start, then I’m not really sure what to do as the 3rd of the attacking group. My heart tells me to give Arma a starting spot, but my head says if we were to do that he should have started on Weds. At the same time, I’d not want to see Goofy in, or Riviere, although as long as he played as the wider man and Perez through the middle he may do okay. I’d worry about Cabella going missing today. Lots of talent, but I have my doubts over him in this pressure cooker situation.

Midfield should be straight forward, depending on the fitness of Abeid, Colback, Sissoko and Tiote/Abeid. I don’t think there would be many arguments on that.

At the back, Janmaat and Colo have to start. Then I think Pardew will play Saylor with Colo and Dummet at left back. I don’t like Dummet at left back, but I think a bit more defensive solidity on that side could be useful against Johnson who normally does well against us.

Anyway, despite my misgivings, my money is down on us to win, a red card in the game, and over 2.5 goals. 2-1 Newcastle.

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Sissoko has been a good player for us, but no badge kisser. Like Cabaye, Debuchy, he has remained suitably detached so he can go to another club without pressure. Ever since he came here, his bags have stayed packed by the front door, so to speak. Might not be January, but he will go sooner rather than later.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Wow, sorry, that turned into more of an essay then I had originally planned….

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Oh, and congratulations on the bairn B&W with a lol.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Tsunki,
    I agree, if we sit back and let them come to us we will most likely lose, and could also be in for a very boring match, as I doubt they will be overly adventurous.

We need to kick off the match all guns blazing. Put them under immediate pressure and lift the crowd. I don’t remember a Pardew side ever doing that though so…

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I fear that the Mackems will be on fire today whilst Pardew will set us up to counter and play long ball like the other times we got our ass kick.

Just remember lads Pardew got his manager of the month award only a couple of weeks ago – remember last season when he won it? after that we were the sh!t and as long as I remember Pardew has the habit of repeating history.

• catchy in norway

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Alan Pardew – wants Sunderland to stay up

This is what the Newcastle manager has said in the Chronicle today:

“If Sunderland are in the same position in 10 games time, then it would disappoint me.” “But it wouldn’t disappoint me on Sunday, because I want to win so badly, not just for the team but for our fans, who we know we owe from the last game.”

“But in ten games time, I would like to think Sunderland’s position will improve. Hopefully it will.” “Last time we faced Sunderland, circumstances worked against us, with us playing a Europa League quarter-final against Benfica on the Thursday.” (so that’s the excuse).

“Gus is a good manager and I like the way he does things. He likes to bring a passing game and he will install that.” “Whether he can do that for Sunday, I’m not sure.”

“But that’s what he will be working towards. I think that’s good for Sunderland and the North East. Fans love to see the game played that way.”

“I want Sunderland to stay up. It’s important for everyone involved, the media, the fans and both clubs. We want to be strong up here.” “If you have two Premier League clubs, it encourages kids to play and we want more kids coming through.”

“In the two performances against him as Newcastle manager, I’ve been disappointed with the selection I had for the team.” “This team is a lot better than the one he has faced before.”

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

cheers mate, Iv;e got his little kit ready for the match today and according to my little ass kicker we will win 5-0 today 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:13 AM

B&W,
    Congratulations on the new addition, ten weeks off the blog though ! I was blogging in the maternity room a few weeks ago 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Catchy,
    Is that worse than wanting us to go down !

• tequilamag

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Hardly controversial Catchy most people like having the derbies.
    At least he does not want us to lose.like some crackpots

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:16 AM

B&W,
    Ha, 5-0!! Let’s hope so. I hope he is better at predicting results then I am!!

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:17 AM

catchy in norway

if only Pardew knew how to play a passing game lol

Passing play VS long ball = there’s only 1 outcome

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Errr, is this interview from last season? We certainly didn’t play Benfica last year….

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM

That was from Catchy’s post, not Ed’s article interview…

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Nice treatise, lilongwe 😉

Good summation, I also think the weakness is Dummett at lb but it would be nigh on impossible for Pardew to start with Haidara there, who I think has better pace to deal with Johnson who is a perennial no show who seems to turn it on against us. Dummet would have to go cb which is unthinkable with a fit Saylor, plus Pardew is obviously going to play the ‘ team of Geordies’ card today (yawn)

• Go toon gooooo

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:19 AM

After three bad loses vs.Poyet draw would be realistic success today for Pardew.For the fans win is a MUST.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Tsunki,
    When I breifly spoke to Sissoko in the airport back in April and asked him whether he’d still be here next season, he gave a nonchalant laugh ans said ‘yeah’. Of course I am were going to win things would have been a better answer. Unfortunately we never had time to discuss his optical requirements as I was about to advise him that spec savers had a great deal on coloured contact lenses, he said he ask me next time.

• jimmysmith

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Trying to find my bright side. If Sissoko goes then we at least have a ready made replacement in De Jong, although we’d then have to play a more open game, which sounds reasonable in theory, even if we have tried it before in with shall we say patchy results, and you’d also then have Cabella to compete with DeJong as a genuine number 10 and the cash to spend on reinforcements, which ideally would have already been lined up, including a 15 -20 goal a season striker with the gravitas to hold the ball up, lead the line and bring others into the game.

That last part of course being ludicrously wishful thinking.

• tequilamag

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Black and White, the derbies are not exactly known for beautiful carpet football.

• IrishGeordie9

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Agree with people who are saying that inviting pressure will only result in a loss. In my opinion we cant afford to do that with Jak in the net because he will be the main target for Sunderland. In addition, they will pile crosses into the box living on the hope that he nervously fumbles it out of his grasp, they will take numerous shots thoughout the game regardless of position because unfortunately for us he is a huge weak link. Therefore, we cannot afford to sit back, we dont have a reliable keeper which will always play on our defenders minds. Attacking from the outset us key, otherwise, I cant see us winning this game.

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Jail for Ashley

cheers mate, the reception on my mobile even outside of the hospital was very very poor

All the pain, the stress, staying awake for 64 hours, it was a bad time.

But my partner had it easy though 😉

• lToonl

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Hawayy the lads.
    Decent line up bar gouffran, hopefully it’s enough