Newcastle Watching Lacazette For Possible January Transfer

There’s news that Newcastle scouts were at the game at the Bordeaux – Lyon game last night and according to the reports the player we were supposed to be watching was Bordeaux defensive midfielder, 27 year-old Ludovic Sané, who we first were linked with more than 18 months ago.

alexandre lacazette at bordeax 5-0

Alexandre Lacazette in action last night – two goals

When there are reports like this it’s always questionable about who Newcastle scouts were really watching,  and maybe we were watching Lacazette, who was a target of Newcastle last summer.

Lacazette has had a great season with 19 goals in 24 appearances in all competitions for Lyon so far this season, and Lyon are now in second place in Ligue One.

They moved ahead of PSG who could only draw 0-0 at home to Montpellier, after losing last weekend 1-0 at Guingamp.

Maybe they need to spend more money on their players?

If Newcastle were interested in the summer in Alexandre, then we should certainly be interested in him now since Lacazette is having his best season in France, and the lad is still only 23.

So it wouldn’t be that surprising if it was the striker we were checking up on last night – and he would be a great buy for us, but we’d have to pay out big money for him.

However, Liverpool have also become very interested in the player, which is hardly surprising given their lack of goal scoring prowess this season.

Lyon coach Hubert Fournier is aware of the interest of Premier League clubs in his star striker, and he has tried to warn off clubs who may be thinking of putting in a bid for him next month.

This is what Fournier told RMC after the game last night:

“I’m not the best person to speak about it. If it was only up to me, of course I would like him to stay.”

“But the President has rather reassured me, and above all, I don’t get the impression Alexandre wants to leave during the January transfer window.”

It seems Liverpool are really interested in the player, so if that’s the case, then it may put a damper on Newcastle’s ability to attract the French International striker to Tyneside.

But we hope we are watching Lacazette because it looks like he’s improving this season, and could certainly do a job for us up front at Newcastle.

We’ve scored a low 18 goals in our 17 games in the Premier League this season, and stats don’t lie.

In his five seasons at Lyon Alexandre Lacazette has scored 57 goals in 170 appearances, and has 5 full caps for France.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I’m laying my cards down on the table, there won’t be any first team players signed in January !

• jimmysmith

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:23 PM

That boat has already sailed along with his 19 goals in 24 games. He was a player, along with Remy, they should have gone out more aggressively for in the close season. I tend to believe that Newcastle will tinker and adjust its attitude to transfers and eventually get it closer to right with an aim of a consistently competitive side, and of course I’m also aware that’s exactly what I want to believe.

• Sav

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Regarding competing with Liverpool, lets not sell ourselves short without a scrap, Ed. Look at the table and the current ground capacity. The main difference is the ambition of the respective owners. And at least ours is achieving his.

• jimmysmith

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:51 PM

We go to Old Trafford which should be good fun to watch because they have so many attacking outlets and we will have to set up to counter attack, which tends to suit us. I’m quite certain we’ll get beat unfortunately, in no small part because Alnwick will undoubtedly be tested all afternoon and Tiote is missing, and no obvious replacement with Abeid also out, best option perhaps Gouffran under strict instruction, even so, if we play a front line of Sammi, Ayose, and Cabella and chuck on Cisse with 30 mins to go we can contribute to a good game. I want Haidarra in the team too. It’s pointless persevering with Dummett at fullback, sit him on the bench ahead of Willo.

• Brutooon

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Or

maybe Man Utd will have a 10 goals attempt and all go inside the net?

10-0

• wolfshead@toon

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:09 AM

double hat tricks for rvp and rooney

• IrishGeordie9

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Hey folks! I know its late but I had work at 9 in the morning and when I got back I went straight to the pub to drown in my sorrows. What a dreadful week it has been, three successive losses which include a derby and a cup match. We have relied to much on our youngsters to the extent that there performances are getting worse. Dummett and Sammy in particular. I wonder how long this streak is going to last? You just dont know with this heirarchy and team. I doubt we will be able to beat this rejuvenated man utd team and then everton afterwards, perhaps we could nick a draw for something to build on, but we MUST stop this run now.

On a side note- Perez is going to be great, our most consistent performer this season who always seems to create chances out of nothing. What a buy!

• gazzaforever

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:35 AM

I can guarantee you that Lacazette will NEVER come to Newcastle. he s the French league top goal scorers and will leave for the like of a top ten world club at the end of the season.

• usmagpie

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:40 AM

I have been watching games on TV for over one month now and I have my transfer kitty ready to sign F.A.
    The scouts are at so many games, this means nothing and the only thing that means anything whe it comes to transfers at our club is Rick Ashley saying live on T.V. Here is 100 million go get at least two world class strikers, if you have any left over cover some other positions. Now for me to kick myself in the face and wake up.

• robertsleftfoot

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I wouldnt buy him, hes hardly been prolific in the french league.

How much would he cost £10 mill?? I would rather we showed some ambition and bought Mitrovic for around £15 mill which should appeal more to Ashley as the lads young and will have a sell on value.

Buying another french lad who only piss off and leave to sit on a big clubs bench is not my idea of the way forward

• ToonMatt

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM

There will be no signings in January The only transfer activity will be the sale of Sissoko to Arsenal and Ashley will pocket the money and 52,000 will cheer him on for doing so.

• Albertan_J

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM

A relegation battle is the only thing FMA will be funding this year.

• gazzaforever

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Robertsleftfoot what the fck are you talking about, he s top scorer in thefrench league

• AndyMac

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:55 PM

If you seriously believe this club, that we both love, would shell out big money for a striker then I’m sorry to say you need some more, but stronger, meds.

The Fat Tart will always get by with a “make do and mend” strategy not a “build for the future” plan. He spends as little of his own money as possible while garnering the maximum benefit for his rapidly expanding company.

If you want development as a club then go look at Southampton or Swansea. Both clubs form a major part of their local community and both (with little investment) continue to punch above their weight in the PL.