He’s Brilliant On And Off The Pitch – A Great Personality

The Newcastle U21 side beat West Ham United 4-1 in the Premier League U21 Cup yesterday afternoon at Whitley Park, with goals from Gael Bigirimana, Adam Campbell, Callum Roberts and Liam Gibson.

But it was a very special occasion, as Jonas Gutierrez made his return to football after successfully fighting testicular cancer.

Jonas-Gutierrez 4

Jonas Gutierrez in action yesterday afternoon

After the game the Newcastle U21 coach and Development Manager Peter Beardsley paid tribute to the 31 year-old Argentine International:

“He’s a perfect example to the young lads,”  “He’s played in the World Cup, and is different class. “It’s great for him to be here.”

“He’s brilliant with the lads – brilliant on and off the pitch – and a great personality. It was an honor to be part of his first game back.”

“I made him captain and, it sounds stupid, but he said thanks when I gave him the armband.” “The reaction of the crowd was brilliant, and they were all here for him.”

“He got a great response from them at the end.” “He was knackered at the end, and he’s going to be a bit sore tomorrow. It’s a massive bonus to have him back.”

“He’s always been the sort of player who runs around and never stops, but I don’t know.” “It’s the manager’s call as far as the first team, but I would be delighted to have him with us for ever.”

“I’m being selfish about getting senior players with us.” “It was brilliant for us. It’s a special game for us, for him it was normal.”

“It’s not my call. Without being negative, I don’t know what stage Jonas is at.”  ” It’s nice to see him looking so well.”

Jonas certainly looked fine,  and exactly like he looked before he went through all that very difficult chemotherapy treatment, but the cancer is now thankfully in remission.

After the game, Jonas thanked the Newcastle fans for their support during his tough times with his cancer.

This is what Gutierrez tweeted:

“Thanks to all the fans for the support that you give through my illness, I am proud to be back. “Good game and really happy. Thanks.”

We should see Jonas challenging for a first team place within the next few weeks at Newcastle.

The game was attended by a number of Newcastle players, including Fabricio Coloccini, Paul Dummett, Adam Armstrong and Gabriel Obertan, as well as two of the Newcastle coaches Steve Stone and Andy Woodman.

And Sunderland manager Gus Poyet was at the game, and he was there to watch his son Diego, who was playing for the West Ham U21 side.

We reported on the game with photos of Jonas yesterday – Jonas looks in good shape.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Toonacious T

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:25 AM

Well done Jonas. A true warrior. We need more players with your heart and spirit in our first team squad.

• Toonacious T

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:51 AM

Catchy’s pet lip is hoping John Tudor posts next to prove we are apparently the same person because it is impossible for two different people to share the same viewpoint if it is different from his own. Beefman13 is going to make an impassioned plea that Ashley’s five year plan is just a wee bit behind schedule and will soon come to fruition. Meanwhile back in the real world Cashley makes another million whilst the Toon Army sleeps!!

• Thump

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:07 AM

Have to say, for a lad who has just gone through what he has, he’s looking strong.

Need his hair back, though.

• cyprus

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:51 AM

Welcome back Jonas. You are an inspiration.

Also, Beardsley seems to be a really nice fella. Apart from being one of the top 3 players to ever wear an NUFC shirt. Keep up the good work mate.

• John Tudor

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:03 AM

just goes to prove what a nobber
    i no longer give a ff for who we are looking at as they will be a waste of time coming here

• John Tudor

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:06 AM

well done jonas that takes some bottle

• Reyantoon

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:33 AM

If we get Lacazatte and Grenier, whoop!
    We are set, and I’ll be over heavens moon..

• martoon

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Toonacious T @1 – You’re obviously not John Tudor – there are no spelling or grammar errors 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Reyantoo,
    Prepare yourself to be earhbound on Feb 1st then.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:10 AM

We’re the only PL club to have conceded four goals three times this season. Well done Alan and Mike.

• valle

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:14 AM

I dont know what it is, but I have lost some passion for the club. Earlier in my life, it would make or break my day whether Newcastle lost, but not anymore. I know I will get stoned off this blog for writing this, but this mediority is getting to me. No ambitions and disapointment after disapointment. Are we just happy for midtable now and a quarterfinal place in a cup? And im not just talking about Ashley and Pardew, but us as fans too? I hear allot of fans defending the regime by pointing out that we arent any better than our place in the league, but is that as far as our ambition goes?. In my view we should be the mostly likely club to chrash the top 4 and a decent bet for the cup, but we dont have the players, the manager or the ambition to do that at all, and we are probably light years from doing it aswell. It seems like we are close, just a couple of signings away and improvement on the squad players, but its always like that it seems, and once we get to the transfer window, we get one of those players, but we sell another to buy him.

• 70TWO

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Surprised to see no mention of Cisse at the game in the report, is it an oversight or was he unable to make such a landmark event?

• martoon

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Valle – I know exactly what you mean. On Sunday after the match I was absolutely gutted but a few hours later I was thinking never mind it will soon be Xmas whereas a few years ago it would have taken me at least a few days to cheer up. I don’t if it’s because I’m older or this regime has brainwashed us into expecting mediocrity!

• gaz 44

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:31 AM

I know this is probably a day or two late but I like to give the blog a miss after defeat. Too many people seem happy that they can come on here and moan yet dont appear when we win.
    The one thing I can’t understand is our toon slating Armstrong and comparing him to harry Kane, there’s a 5 year age gap. It may be that Armstrong doesnt make the step up but give him time he’s only 17

• gaz 44

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:39 AM

The problem we had on Sunday is we didn’t have enough premiership players out there
    Alnwick not there yet- probably never will that pass to collocini was awful
    Sammy ameobi crap
    Gouffran crap, although he played well for a 15min spell

Our centre backs for next year should be Taylor and dummet, I love collocini for the service he’s gave the club but his legs aren’t there no more,
    Clear tiote out and let abeid have his spot,
    We’ve no striker who can hold the ball up so it gets pinged into strikers then straight back to them, cisses touch is disgraceful, never thought I’d say this but when is obertan back we need some pace on the wings.
    I wouldn’t mind if we had someone average like matt Jarvis rather than gamble on another flop like cabella, people can blame it on being pardewed but he just doesn’t seem to grasp the pace and intensity of the premiership.
    Pardew is a second rate manager and he’s a squad with a lot of second rate players, we are in a downward sutuation…..what ever happened with chucky..

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Yeah the slating of Armstrong was pathetic by a number of posters on the day. I felt embarrassed and ashamed reading them.

Saying that I’m sure a lot of it was just pent up frustration at Pardew’s complete inability to win that fixture and how all the good work done in October and November is steadily being undone as we just knew it would. It’s Pardew all over.

Like said below, Armstrong is 17 and looks to be growing in confidence and involvement in each passing game. In a year or two he would have slotted that ball across and got a good assist, and vs Spurs that shot that just pinged wide would have gone in.

He just needs time and the runs he makes and he ability to link up play has a good foundation for one so young. We were all hoping for a Rooney scenario but in today’s game it’s more and more unrealistic to expect. Remember Rooney burst onto the season over 10 years ago now and the premier league has improved in quality since then.

• sing in the corner

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Valle …Martoon

For me its slightly different. I’ve got mackems all around me ripping it out of me – which is ok you have to take that in Derby disasters. But the thing that really gets me is they’re laughing at us now.And this from a poor team in SAFC. I love this club as much as anyone else but what I see now is players playing with fear. They were bricking it at times against SAFC, who looked calm and in control in comparison. Whether its the record against them continuing to get worse, the pressure of the home crowd, the anti pardew / ashley general feeling of emnity around the club, or whatever excuse, I don’t know. But it has to change. The very least you expect from the team is to turn up and have a go but this last 2 weeks has been awful in terms of us putting up the white flag. The one thing we don’t need right now is a trip to Old Trafford. Our French contingent will be turning their tails and retreating if we get a chasing against Man U and then against Everton it’s into the bunker for Pardew I think

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:52 AM

I also think we’ll struggle to replace Colo. He’s an excellent ball playing CB and one of our few top quality players in terms of calibre and technicality. He’s easily the most skillful CB in the league.

Unfortuantely he’s never had a player of his calibre play alongside him. Taylor and Williamson have never been up to par and he’s had to carry them at times and to the detriment of his own game. We’ve been crying out for a player of Shawcross or Lescott (of old)’s quality to play alongside him since we were promoted and it’s never happened.

• cyprus

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I hope Arm comes good but right now he’s no Perez (an HE’s developing too), let’s face it. My frustration was that we couldn’t throw on a bigger threat, in our MOST important game. We put on someone who has never scored in the PL. Someone who may, or may not come good.

• cyprus

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM

I see one point from our next two games…