It Could Be An Unhappy Xmas For Newcastle

Sammy Ameobi didn’t have a particularly good game in the derby game against Sunderland on Sunday, and manager Alan Pardew has pointed out since the 1-0 defeat, that a number of our players were carried away by the occasion, especially in the first half.

Sammy Ameobi Sunderland 1-0

Sammy Ameobi in action on Sunday

And if truth be told Sunday was our best chance to get 3 points in a game over the Christmas period, and we face Manchester United away, Everton and Burnley at home in the next three games.

We are then at Leicester City in the 3rd round of the FA cup and those four games are all played by January 3rd – 11 days time – a week on Saturday.

Sammy Ameobi has talked about Newcastle’s current situation:

“Christmas is massive for us now.” “As a team we could fall by the wayside and it would be easy for that to happen. That’s not what we need to do, we need to fight back.”

“We have got two tough fixtures in a short period of time. We need to regroup and go from here.”

“It’s not going to be easy. I will just have to keep my head down, work hard in training and make sure we go on from here.”

“The manager was disappointed like the rest of us were, but you have to put it behind you and move on somehow.”

It could be difficult to get any points out of our next two games against the Red Devils and the Toffees, and we could see Newcastle start slipping down the league table.

The home game against Burnley is shaping up to be crucial on New Years Day, but Burnley are also starting to pick up points and they were only narrowly beaten 2-1 at Spurs on Saturday.

The last thing we want this season is to go into a second half slump like we did last season.

We just haven’t got the points we had last season at this time,  when we had 30 points from the first 17 games – 7 more than we have today.

And after beating Stoke 5-1 on Boxing Day we had 33 points from 18 games.

We still have 9 players out injured and we are still top of the Injury League with two injuries more than Arsenal and Manchester United – who have much bigger squads than we do.

It would be a confidence booster if we can get something out of the game at Old Trafford on Friday.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Gaz44,
    I was the one who brought up the Harry Kane comparison mate. I wasn’t using it to beat AArma with, I was pointing out that Kane didn’t even make his Spurs debut until 20, and that given how people are writing Arma off now they would have probably booted out Kane from the club years ago.

Arma should be out on loan this season, but the club left the squad short in terms of proven striker or even ones who can cut it at this level. Cisse is injured and will struggle to get regular starts due to his knee issue. Rivi is woeful. Ferreyra hasn’t got a kick yet, something must be really wrong on that one. Then we have Perez who was only meant to be for the development.

I think if Cisse had been fully fit then Arma may have gone on loan, but with his problems, and then the failure of Rivi and Chucky then we have had no choice but to keep him here. Unless we get a centre forward in Jan, unlikely imo, then he still won’t go on loan – particularly with Cisse off to AFCON.

Much prefer to see Arma and Perez do the striker role then Rivi though while Cisse is away. Arma has shown so much more as a centre forward in his brief appearances then Rivi has done all season in the league.

• cyprus

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I hope Arm comes good but right now he’s no Perez (an HE’s developing too), let’s face it. My frustration was that we couldn’t throw on a bigger threat, in our MOST important game. We put on someone who has never scored in the PL. Someone who may, or may not come good.

20cyprus // Dec 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM

I see one point from our next two games…

• cyprus

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Talking of potential, I see a lot in the player featured here. Good feet, speed, hard to handle. If he can build his physique (this doesn’t mean you lose speed as sprinters will tell you) he’ll be a monster of a player!

• Sazzer

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Siem de Jong to NOS radio, “I can train with the group in three weeks. It will be late January before i am really fit again.”

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM

As for the next 2 games, I don’t expect much from the trip to Old Trafford. Man U could get a hatful, given their firepower, and the return of Di Maria.

As always, our chances will be limited, and against De Gea we are probably up against the form keeper in the Prem. We will have to make each and every one count.

Everton on the other hand aren’t in great shape. No consistency, and have been struggling a bit this season. I think we can beat them without too much difficulty if we perform, but as we all know, there is no guarantee which Newcastle will turn up.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Cyprus,
    Again though, similar to Kane, Perez was allowed to develop at a lower level. He also has a few years on Arma, and only broke in to a Spanish second tier side last year.

Arma is breaking into a Prem team in one of the most competitive leagues in the world.

On Ameobi, he has the same issues as his brother though, lacks consistency, struggles with niggling injuries and when he doesn’t perform, he is awful.

• cyprus

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Lil,
    As I mentioned elsewhere, on Arm I just don’t know, I haven’w seen enough. My gut feeling is he’s heading Bigi’s way but I will be thrilled if we have a gem on our hands.
    On Ameobi, I was biased against him (see name), but I love the way he just ghosts past players… that defender knew he was going that way yet he took him, and crossed every time. The commentator said that he had the beating of him as well. I think he needs to build up those spindly legs, but I guess look at Crouch doing the job week in week out.

• bladeuser

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Harry kane is better but one reason for that is he has better players around him who provide him with the chances we do not.the jury is out thouugh on arma cisse is not the answer his knee could be worse than nufc are letting on and he is in the main a waste of space for much of the game.riviere is what the monoco fans were saying not worth it and were estatic when we took him off there hands chucky whats all this about who knows.other forwards ameobi if we are honest people bits of skill no end product consistently.gouffy what has happened to him. Perez a shining light but the kid cannot do this on his own and away from home has no help whatsoever when will a top spanish club come a calling and mark my words they surely will so as of now this is my opinion and u repeat this is MY opinion on our strikers so to sum MY opinion up we are F@@@@@
    AND FINALLY PARDEW OUT!

• stuart no9

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM

We have all banged on about a CF for years now, we are still waiting .untill we get one we will struggle .
    For at least 2 years the club knew we needed one , we have always had a no 9 as far as tradition goes and that’s where I think Ashley has proven again that goals are not something he’s really concerned about , after all even now at xmas we are in the perfect position for him , why will he buy one when he knew we wanted one years ago and never bothered also sitting pretty perched at mid table won’t really trigger a panic buy in January that’s why I think if we do buy anyone it will be a defender .
    They can’t rely on Williamson sailor is prone a bit to injuries , the back four as a group are suspect . We need cover . I feel Ashly’s preference will be in that area or we go down . The goals are not important to him they win games and I believe he has a target of how many games he ants to win each season , exeed that target and it may put us or pardew in a awkward position as far as Europe is concerned which will never happen as long as Ashley is here , so avoiding relegation is key . To do that we need to stablise the defence . That is the ares they will be looking to strengthen . It will become all too clear in the next 2 years his intensions when he starts to build a team in Glasgow with CL in mind . Coz I believe that is why he has bought it , I believe CL will be their priority or else why buy into it . Just note in time the quality heading to Scotland . One thing is for sure , pardew will have nothing to do with it . He’s not good enough – Ashley knows that .

• Munster Mag

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Very disappointed with Pardew and tactics v Mackems. I hathe the stupid pointless abuse he gets from some of the knuckleheads on this site, but claiming that we were so brave in trying to win the game and his attacking front foot philosophy makes a mockery of the two defensive midfielders and isolating Perez up front. For his system to work, we badly need pacey wingers :

1. To broaden the pitch for Sissoko and a playmaker
    2. To allow him to play the defensive approach that he likes.

He needs to be supported financially to get these players and a striker / centre half etc. My real concern is that we will flog Sissoko and go into decline just like we did after Cabaye. We know this team doesnt have a lot of mental fortitude and they showed that in spades when Cabaye left. I would be quite concerned re this. The sooner we get the Algerian back the better.