Newcastle After Senegal International Defender

Newcastle have already been linked with Racing Genk center-back Kara Mbodj already this month, and he  plays for Senegal, so we suppose Papiss Cisse knows him well.

Kara Mbodj Olympics Senegal

Kara Mbodj on the left at the London Olympics in 2012

The Herald in Scotland is reporting today that Celtic are also interested in a possible January move for the 12 times capped Senegal International center-back, who can also play in defensive midfield.

West Ham United and Crystal Palace are also said to be interested in signing the 6’4″ player.

Former Birmingham and Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish is the Genk manager,  and he wants a cool £7M for his player, and that fee may scare off Newcastle, who like to get bargain buys in the transfer market.

Kara is a powerful player and an excellent header of the ball,  and since he joined Genk he’s made 75 appearances for them with four goals and two assists.

Mbodj started his career in Norway with Tromso back in 2010, before moving to Belgian club Racing Genk in January of 2013 for €2M, on an initial three and a half year contract.

But that contract has since been extended and runs out at the end of June, 2018, so he will not be cheap in the transfer market.

He played 83 times for Tromso with 10 goals and two assists, and he is quite versatile and has been known to play in attacking central midfield too.

Kara could possibly be the replacement for Cheick Tiote should Cheick leave the club in January for big bucks and join a club like Arsenal.

But the 25 year-old has been playing center-back for his Belgian club this season, and as you may expect he plays a physical type of game.

Mbodj played in both of Senegal’s recent African Cup of Nations qualifying games against Egypt and Botswana – both wins.

He scored the International first goal in the 3-0 home win against Botswana, which was enough to qualify Senegal for the finals starting next month in Equatorial Guinea.

We’ll just have to wait and see if Newcastle bring in any players over the January transfer window, and maybe if we have a bad December in terms of results, that may entice Mike Ashley to spend some money next month?

The last thing Ashley wants is to have Newcastle relegated (again) from the money making Premier League – that seems to be his vision for Newcastle United – to keep us in England’s top league.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• cyprus

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Lil,
    As I mentioned elsewhere, on Arm I just don’t know, I haven’w seen enough. My gut feeling is he’s heading Bigi’s way but I will be thrilled if we have a gem on our hands.
    On Ameobi, I was biased against him (see name), but I love the way he just ghosts past players… that defender knew he was going that way yet he took him, and crossed every time. The commentator said that he had the beating of him as well. I think he needs to build up those spindly legs, but I guess look at Crouch doing the job week in week out.

• Thump

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Silly season is well and truly underway.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Cyprus,
    Bigi is a really strange one. I have spoken to people who have watched the Under 21’s regularly and said he has been superb for them this season. I’m beginning to think there is a more personal element to Bigi’s disappearance from the first team squad. Surely with both Tiote and Abeid out he should have come into contention against Spurs? Another goal for him yesterday as well.

On Arma I think he has been doing all the right things when given the chance, his link up play is good, and his movement is far better than Rivi and Cisse. I still feel he should be on loan, but at the minute he would be third choice for me after Perez and Cisse.

Ameobi has to demonstrate he can do it consistently, so far he hasn’t managed, although this is by far his best spell. He is playing for a new contract though so has that added motivation to perform at the minute.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM

What are people’s opinions on the atmosphere shifting back to a firmly Pardew out stance? A loss vs United and Everton and everything done to turn the season around earlier this year will be hanging by a thread and the season could end up another white wash.

If that happens I think Pardew is gone in the summer. He will have had a woeful 3 years then, well and truly countering the 5th place for good.

• Jeff from Benwell

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:09 AM

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:10 AM

On the other hand it will be interesting if the players really vouch for him and that forces Ashley to think twice about the recruitment policy.

I’m of the opinion that we need to overhaul both. Pardew has consistently crumbled at vital times and for long periods regardless of the personnel he’s had, the records speak for themselves and are becoming increasingly indefensible. But we desperately need to start buying players for positions we need and not just who’s cheap and has resale value. It’s vital or every season we will see injuries kill any momentum.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM

GPLF,
    I think the really important game is the Leicester cup match. If we lose that then I think there will be some recriminations from fans. Lose that one, and at best, the season is probably over in January again, at worst we could go on a slide and be battling to stay up.

• beermonkey

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:14 AM

GPLF

still don’t think he will get the sack unless were in real danger of going down

Lilongwe

I think its a personal think with bigi pards has used the press to players like Sammy what they need to do

it seems he has no interest in using anita either yet does not mention either

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM

CB or DM, perfect for a player we’d pay money for, it’s well known that such versatile players can be converted to LBs as well, the 7M price tag makes the story about as believable as “woman gives birth ton 8lb trout”

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM

*to a 8lb trout

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Lilongwe

Good call, I completely missed that fixture. As you say that’s vital. It buys Pardew time if we go through and it’ll be interesting.

The gamble for him is; does he play his strongest team at the risk of injuries/suspension without the guarantee of a win? If he loses it still does him no good in the fans eyes. Or does he risk our wrath by fielding a weaker team and praying for the victory that will of course be harder to come by. Very difficult situation for him. His popularity in a vocal sense is riding on it.

• 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM

dont think its anything personal with bigi just that last season he played poorly for the u21 , giving the ball away on a number of occaisons and a lot of goals against were down to him. if he has improved i could not think of a better time to come into squad ,cant be a worse bet than anita imo.

• beermonkey

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM

jail

pards loves and odd job man that can play anywhere

I fear for dummett can play at left back looks like he could be a good cb he was thrown to the wolves at right back next up for him is dm and we can call him the new perch

when really what he needs to be doing is playing cb and sticking to it

• JP...from The Rock

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Just back from Newcatle and seeing the derby from the Gallowgate and loved every minute..well except for the last one when they scored. What an atmosphere!! I was buzzing! Look for a Gibraltar flag behind the goal and you’ll see me there.

I even got the Golden Ticket from the match day programme so got to meet Gouffran and a few of the other players! I’ll be on the next matchday programme holding the signed shirt 🙂

What a shame about the result though..but the fun I had softened the blow.

Great memories and wishing I was still there and now working right now.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Beermonkey

You’re probably right, but there has to be a snapping point somewhere and I believe it will be when Ashley deems his player values are depreciating (the odd one such as Sissoko will stand out of course) in a general sense.

If we continue to crumble for long periods this will certainly happen. That said, it’s more within Ashley’s play book to leave that as long as possible which could be well into next season or beyond.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM

GPLF,
    He has to play the strongest team available for me. However his idea of the strongest team and mine are often different… Any hint of a weakened team will be instantly greeted with disdain by fans.

I don’t see any danger of relegation, there are plenty of poor teams around, so even if we picked up an injury or suspension by fielding our strongest team it shouldn’t be an issue.