Sky Pundit Worried About Newcastle – They Get Beat Too Easily

Paul Merson at Sky Sports says he’s worried about the way Newcastle are losing these days – far too easily.

paul merson

Paul Merson – Sky Sports pundit – worried about Newcastle

We currently have about 10 first team players out injured, and as Alan Pardew said at his press conference for the game at home to Everton today, we’ve had them out for about two and a half months now.

And while we did well in October and November without them – we’ve gone back to losing again – and have lost the last four games in all competitions and conceded 12 goals in the process.

This is what Paul Merson wrote on Sky Sports today about Newcastle’s late game at St. James’ Park:

“It’s a real tough time for Everton at the moment. Everything seems to be going against them. Walters should definitely have been sent off on Boxing Day but he didn’t and the free-kick hits the wall and Stoke go up the other end, Everton concede the penalty and it’s 1-0.”

“They should have been playing against 10-men and who knows how the game might have turned out? That’s their luck at the moment.”

“But Newcastle have hit a bit of a brick wall of late. They won all those games but now they can’t buy a win. It’s the manner of the defeats that are worrying for me as they are getting beat pretty easily. I’m going for a 1-1 draw here.”

Former Newcastle player Michael Owen didn’t think there would be many goals in the Newcastle – Sunderland derby last weekend and he was right about that.

There was only one goal in the game coming in the 90th minute from Adam Johnson,  to give the Black Cats their fourth win in a row for the first time ever in over 120 years of this fixture. 🙁

And he doesn’t expect too many goals today from two sides who don’t score a lot of goals – with Newcastle scoring 19 goals and Everton 27 goals so far this season.

This is what Michael wrote on Betvictor.com:

“Both clubs have lost their two previous games over the Xmas period and I don’t expect to see many goals at St James’s Park.”

“The Blues have only won one of their last seven PL away games and four of the last five games at St James’s Park have been settled by the only goal of the game.”

Newcastle need to break their losing streak today at the very least against Everton, who are also hit by key injuries to Tim Howard and Phil Jagielka.

Confidence is waning again in Alan Pardew with the fans and in the press, and another defeat would not be good for either Newcastle or for the manager.

We’re hoping for all 3 points.

Note: Please see if you can help the Northumbria Police to find this missing person – thanks.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Lilongwe,Pardew said we need to get four points out of these two games to consolidate our position, not going all out for a couple of wins to put us back up there with the EL spots, it’s not rocket science to know which game he thinks the three points will come from so I think he’ll go for his new Über tactic and try and hit them on the break, like I said yesterday I think the 48K present today are in for a real Pardew lesson in football, gutted I’ve decided to stay away.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Jail,
    Yeah, I haven’t seen that quote, but had noticed a couple of posts mentioning it. Why we would look for 4 points instead of trying to win both is beyond me. Two home games against poor and struggling sides should be exactly the games we go after and attack from the off. But we know that isn’t Pardew’s style. Depressing really.

• beermonkey

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Lilongwe

think I read the otherday cisse is going after the burnley game

I don’t think we will bring in another striker even onloan
    this is why Armstrong has been playing right thing to do just wrong games lol but he will prob play a part today and I would be inclined to start him at burnley

chucky is an odd one the lack of communication from the club is a joke pards has normally said something about what the player needs to do to get in the team that normally gives us a clue as to whats going on but nothing its like we didn’t sign him

• Transfer Sage

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Jail

It wouldn’t be too bad if he said something like we need a minimum of 4 points from these games to keep pushing up the table. But everything he says is so negative.

Sutely the players see and respond to these comments. They must know they can get away with a draw and surely that must effect at least one of them subconsciously.

• beermonkey

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I do find it hard to read what pardew says all it does is send the blood pressure up and I am always left thinking the man is an utter buffoon

• Transfer Sage

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM

That’s the latest info I can see on Chucky, very little said.

Just wonder what we is actually doing. Had a reasonable record on his last two clubs and from highlights (I know they are misleading) he seems to have a solid shot on him.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Beer,
    If he is going after Burnley I’d start him in at least one of them. Who knows, if his knee isn’t in great shape after he has played for us, Senegal may cut him from the squad! Very selfish on my part, but it is ludicrous that he is only fit to play a bit part for us, but will head off to AFCON, and probably start regularly.

I don’t really have a problem with Arma starting. I think he should be out on loan rather than here, but if he isn’t going on loan then he needs to get sufficient game time or his development will stall. I haven’t seen anything from Rivi that encourages me for him, so I’d happily see Arma ahead of Rivi.

As you say with Chucky, it is a very odd situation. If he isn’t going to feature at all, he has barely even got a kick for the Under 21’s either, then what is he doing here?

As for Jan, I think if we don’t bring another striker in then we will be in real trouble for the rest of the season. Maybe De Jong will come in and get goals, but he is the only one other than Cisse who has a record of scoring regularly. I’m always doubtful of players who have scored in the Dutch league, the easiest league in Europe to score in. That is without even considering a settling in and adapting period.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM

TS,
    You can only assume that if he plays so many games, even for the U21s that we’ll have to pay X amount of money and they’ve decided he’s not worth it, it is just another reason that the club just oozes mistrust, what would be the harm in just letting the fans know how he’s getting on, there’s more to it than meets the eye.

• John Tudor

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM

want some points
    then come play nufc
    we give them up for free

• Transfer Sage

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Lil

I think arma can only get better with games as you say. Will improve his decision making too playing with the first team lads, he’ll get to know who makes runs where and when to pass it.

At youth football, especially with us, they can all be different levels so arma will be used I doing a bit more himself as he is a main player yet in the first team needs to get used to being one of the lesser/smaller fish in the pond.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Jail

Exactly, the lies we’ve ha before means that something which is a normal situation for a lot of clubs makes us treat it with suspicion.

Surely a simple comment like he isn’t as good as we thought or he is struggling to adapt, would be good to just know.

• Don

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:27 AM

10 1st team players injured ????

• beermonkey

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Lilongwe

funny how we have to manage cisse I thinks its to do with the pins they put in there that are the prob I bet he goes to the acon and starts 2 games a week like you say

I would rather Armstrong went out on loan and played each week rather than a bit part he has with us but atleast he has got and gonna get some time

on rivi I wont judge the lad till he has played as part of a front 3 the role he played at Monaco from what I have read I certainly wont judge the lad on pards trying to make him a target man and leaving him more isolated than a leper
    I would like to see him start the burnley game in a 433 he took his 2 goals at palace well when he actually had some support

• GEORDIE69

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Wow Merson is some boy! I think just about every man and his dog know that we are easy to beat.

• ToonMatt

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Jail, Staying away is what’s best for the club and it’s future, Going to the games is whats best for Mike Ashley and is of no benefit to the club at all, We are going down and need new ownership.

• Carl819

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Who care what odious owen thinks, he is as bad a commentator as he was a forward for us, if that’s possible.

• Lynny

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Merson should stick to what he’s good at! Getting pissed oot his brains. Toon Toon