Carver Shares Sir Bobby’s Ambitions – Wants Champions League

I’ve just watched John Carver’s press conference he gave today, and John did very well – it’s a pity it’s not available on YouTube – but if you have a subscription to nufcTV take a look at what John says – he’s very down to earth and we thought he did extremely well all through his press conference – he’s a breath of fresh air.

john carver smiling

John Carver – like a breath of fresh air

Of course Sir Bobby Robson had John as his assistant manager, and in the last three years of Bobby’s five year reign on Tyneside, we finished in 4th, 3rd and 5th place in the Premier League.

John Carver has talked today about the great one and that he shares Sir Bobby’s ambitions for Newcastle – the best football club in the world:

“I never stop thinking about Sir Bobby and I started reading his autobiography last night,” “There was a message from him on the front of the book – ‘Thanks for a fantastic, successful five years, it should have been a lot longer, cheers, Bobby.’”

“When he gave me that book Sir Bobby said to me: ‘You do realise how big this football club is and, if you ever get an opportunity to manage it, don’t be scared of it, enjoy it and take it with both hands.”

“He definitely saw me as a future Newcastle manager, so I’m going to take it with both hands.” “I think this is the best football club in the world.”

“Whether it’s the most successful or the biggest doesn’t matter but, in my eyes, it’s the best. For me to be in this position as a local lad is an absolute honor. It’s not something which frightens me.”

“Any player would snap your hand off to play in the Champions League. If a player leaves, it’s usually because they can’t get Champions League football so, if we haven’t got that ambition to get there, then we’re all wasting our time, in my opinion.”

“It’s no good just turning up thinking mediocrity is good enough. Let’s go and win every game if we can.”

“I haven’t had a great deal to do with Mike in the past,” . “On the few occasions I’ve met him, he’s always been really pleasant though. I actually did spend a little time in his Sports Direct factory a few weeks ago.”

“I was visiting a friend in Mansfield. He took me for a few clothes because I was looking like a tramp and I was quite surprised how big it was. I never bought anything though.”

“My ambition is definitely still the same as Sir Bobby’s, without a shadow of a doubt,”

John said in his press conference today that he hasn’t had much time to think about things too much – he got a brief call from Managing Director Lee Charnley saying they had agreed compensation with Palace for Pardew to leave the club, and asked him to prepare the team for the Burnley and Leicester games.

John’s been too busy preparing for the upcoming two games and he’s moved Peter Beardsley up to the first team coaching staff – so Steve Stone and Peter are assisting John now.

And the players have been in good spirits and training well over the last couple of days – – and of course John is the one who took  all the training when Pardew was manager – and he’s very popular with the players.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and John will be judged – like all coaches are – on the results he gets.

Let’s hope John gets off to a winning start tomorrow.

Howay The Lads!!

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Graeme

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Great sentiments from JC, but cant see CL ever happening under this owner. Mores the pity!!

• welshgeordie9

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:46 PM

i hope carver get a good run going, starting from tomorrow.

• beefman13

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:49 PM

I want to be toon manager, I believe we can get that champs league dot, av got my pro badge, am shit hot, let’s do this, Mike, I’m your man, fekn Carver, he’s rough as a badgers arse!

• jazzyp

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Anyways im off to bring in the newyear with the family. I wish you all the best for 2015 and may it bring us all hope re Nufc for the upcoming calender year.
    Once again i wish you all health and hapiness lads

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Happy New Year to all bloggers except welshgeordie9, welsheagle9, welshblue9, welshbaggie9, welshclaret9, etc

• Graeme

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Happy New Year to all on the blog. Peace and best wishes for 2015

• dexter53

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Hope you all have a toontastic new year.Never forget……We are the Geordies.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Graeme,
    No bother, didn’t agree with what was being said so had to say my piece, all the best

• Graeme

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Jail, happy New Year mate, to you and your family – Hope its an awesome year for you all

• clinath@ed

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Happy New. Year fellow bloggers and Toon fans. Thanks for all the fun reading, informative discussions and pathetic arguments….wouldn’t have missed it for the world.
    Here’s looking forward to a prosperous 2015 for ourselves in every aspect of our lives.
    Keep it up.

• croftus5678

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:58 PM

very good interview !

great for the fans to hear and we hope it comes true carver.

happy new year all and all the best for 2015.

• The one and Ayoze 17

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:02 AM

Sounds very passionate about taking us forward if given the chance, just hope his tactics match his enthusiasm, hopefully we’ll smash Burnley today. Happy new year all!!

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:14 AM

A Pardew free year for 2015 sounds a great start.

• Goofy

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:19 AM

Happy new year all!! Hump Burnley tomorrow and have great start to 2015 🙂

• Goofy

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:20 AM

Today even 😀

• expatmag

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:26 AM

Graeme

So Steve Bruce is nailed on, is he.

Happy new year to you anyway

• lochinvar

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:30 AM

“Lang may your lum reeks”

• Graeme

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:31 AM

Expat – all I posted was info given to me. I took it in good faith, I posted it in good faith. I’m sorry it caused you such upset, but, then again, I’m not perfect.
    Thanky you for you New Years wishes, which I gratefully accept and reciprocate – May you and yours have a most fantastic 2015. Best wishes fellow fan

• stan anderson

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:32 AM

Anyone other than a proven top class coach/manager will show us the fatmans ambition for our club.H.N.Year.

• geordie157

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:38 AM

Happy New year you moaning, grumpy lot! Hopefully we get some decent football in 2015

• jimmysmith

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:39 AM

His first side will ofcourse be interesting. Will he play Gouffran and Willo after talking about going for wins, playing good stuff and evoking the memory of Sir Bob. I think Bobby would pick something like……….

…………………………..Alnwick

Janmaat……….Tayls……..Collocini………Santon

…………………..Tiote………Colback….
    …………………………Sissoko
    ….Cabella……………………………………Sammi
    ……………………………Perez..

and of course take the game to them, and any other side at St James’.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:44 AM

expat,
    In the past, I have said there will be no signings this summer or winter, I am not in the know. But I know !

• Munster Mag

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:46 AM

I like this fella…:)

• Munster Mag

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:47 AM

Happy new year to all. Howay the lads!

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:55 AM

Munster
    bhliain nua sásta x

• Munster Mag

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:01 AM

Nice one Jail 🙂 . Looks like carver is distancing himself from pardews conservative style and ashleys mid table ethos. Would be nice if he wowed us with some verve and continued aggressive closing down. I love a man who speaks with passion and means it. He really is going for it 🙂

• Jeff from Benwell

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:02 AM

Welshie – blwyddyn newydd dda

• yo-yo

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:04 AM

JfA

Tyll dyn pob sais (except Geordies)

• ITUNDERASHELL

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:06 AM

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.
    Champions League.
    another gogshite.

• jimmysmith

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:08 AM

Obviously DeBoer would be very exciting, and probably every fans first choice, although you don’t know how a relatively inexperienced manager would handle such a pressure cooker of a job. Good luck to Carver, obviously in love with the club, but for the same reason you would surely doubt his credentials and capability. McClaren I think is a decent shout, a genuine coach, hugely experienced by now, had his ups and downs and always bounced back, and who likes to play football, which if reports are true, Ashley wants.

• Average_Contents

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:08 AM

Happy new year blog residents. Hope you all have a good one.

Haven’t watched the presser yet but by the sounds of it he’s like a breath of fresh air,well as fresh as could possibly be for carver. Don’t think fatty will like him mentioning champs league though lol.

• Munster Mag

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:36 AM

Underashell…only one gobshite here. Let the man, and us, believe , or at least aspire. The corner the corner the corner !

• sparky55

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:41 AM

Really looking forward to the game today…I think there’ll be a very special atmosphere now that the cockney nonce has gone and we’ll murder Burnley tooboot.

Can’t wait :-):-):-)

• p

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:05 AM

Sky sports web site has a carver interview, not sure if it is the same one or not.

Came across quite well but he is not the answer to the manager question

• 123 Dummet Time

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:10 AM

a 2015 of newcastle players will no longer be pardew’d

Happy New year
    Howay the Lads

• bladeuser

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:24 AM

Of course he is bigging it all up quoting robson talking champions league but did not have the bottle to talk about it when he should of its all bollox to get his foot on the top rung its like an mp telling u what he is going to do and when he is in office does f@@@ all fall for it if u like as u usually do u forget he had a go at our away fans protecting the man who could not give a rats arse about europe short memories eh
    CARVER OUT

• Spreadthetoon

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:44 AM

Long live the toon! United we stand together forever! Whatever the regime, manager we stand one. Our club, our world, our style, our invincibles. Long live the club,fans,Plyrs, fcuk the owner and let’s bless the new mgr whoever that be!

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:44 AM

lets see if john plays Gouffran and Williamson

• scout

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:23 AM

breath of fresh air – John Carver haha

Do me a favour……

• Reyantoon

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:27 AM

Happy exciting 2015..
    Hope Mike will surprise us with new experienced foreign mgr,that will settle the players and backroom staff.He should learn by now that with British-based mgrs,we won’t go anywhere.Thank God Pulis is set for wba.
    Hope Bruce is stick with where he is now as well.Galtier is perfect for me,followed by Ralf Ragnick then De Boer brothers.This is also perfect time to hire new coach,new year,new transfer window & fresh half season.
    If by somehow Mike hires another British-based mgr,he really has no ambition and it will be officially known by us & others.
    Finally,I have no confidence in carver’s coaching abilities but let’s support him and wish him success for the upcoming 2 games.
    Hoping to see major difference in NU in 2015..
    Hwtl!!