It Could Be Very Good Or Very Bad For John Carver

The first thing we thought about when it became obvious that Alan Pardew wanted to get out of Newcastle and go manage his former club Crystal Palace , was how insecure it is being an assistant manager at Newcastle .

john carver in black

John Carver – caretaker manager at Newcastle

What will happen to Geordie John Carver?

Since then it’s been revealed that Alan wanted Carver to join him at Crystal Palace as his assistant manager,  but John turned that down – although we don’t know if that’s actually true.

It really depends on who Newcastle appoint as head coach, as to whether that means coaches like John Carver and Steve Stone stay at Newcastle, but that seems unlikely.

When some clubs appoint a new head coach, they sometimes insist that they use the coaches already at the club, but top coaches like to bring in their own people.

It looks like Newcastle are going to let it be known that the job available at Newcastle is that of head coach and not manager, since that’s really what it is rather than an English style manager.

And that’s why some English managers like Tony Pulis, Steve Bruce and others who want total control of transfers will not want to come to Newcastle, and that could mean Newcastle could appoint their first foreign coach in the Mike Ashley era.

A committee at Newcastle decides which players come in and which ones leave the club, and that committee is headed by Mike Ashley and includes Chief Scout Graham Carr, Managing Director Lee Charnley and the head coach.

And of course John could even get the head coach’s job at Newcastle, and today he has said that would be a dream job for him.

This is some of what John has said today in his press conference:

“Officially, the manager Alan Pardew is still the manager of the football club until it’s in black and white.” “I have not really had a lot of time to think about it.”

“I think you always have those ambitions, don’t you.” “But you’ve got to wait for the right opportunity. Now the manager looks like going, what’s my situation?”

“Only time will tell. My head’s going 100 miles an hour here, as you can imagine.” “I think that every coach who goes into football wants to be a manager, and there will be a day when I want to be a manager again, there’s no doubt about that.”

“Of course it is a dream job.” “I’m a local lad and it’s a dream job for anybody, but the manager’s still the manager at the moment.”

John has been assistant manager with Alan Pardew for almost four years,  and he was Sir Bobby Robson’s assistant manager for five years, so he’s been assistant manager at Newcastle for nine years of the last fifteen.

Whether John Carver will be staying at Newcastle we don’t know, and he will be  concentrating on winning games for Newcastle for at least the next couple of games.

What happens after that we’ll just have to wait and see, and of course we wish John and Steve Stone all the very best in their new (short-term?) roles.

Did I say a win tomorrow would be great?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Burnley?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• toonbrother

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:28 PM

if carver has the guts to drop colocinni he deserves the job fulltime.

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:28 PM

remember relegation season?

seems like again history is repeating itself

• tequilamag

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Black and White 2 days ago you were moon walking.
    Getting cold feet now you understand the implications ?

• Bambams

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:34 PM

We will hire a weak, yes man type of manager

no doubt about it

• Munster Mag

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Crazy to drop colo. No organisation without him. re pardew personality,the players liked him and he never lost the dressing room contrary to what some of the know nowts on this site claim. Glad he’s going but concerned re successor…

• Graeme

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:35 PM

• santonthenewmaldini

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Everton at home was some of the best football we have played for a while we were pressing them high up the pitch even when we went 3 – 1 up and could have scored more could it have been because the players knew Pardew was on the way out?

I honestly hope we go all out guns blazing tomorrow Tiote is out so no playing 2 defensive midfielders at home Cabella in no 10 with Sammy Perez and Riviere up front and Sissoko and Colback behind them

We dont have fit wingers but we have attacking full backs who should be providing the width any manager could see that apart from Pardew its a chance for Carver to prove himself that he was not to blame will be interesting thats for sure

• Laurent Robert 32

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Ronaldo, some of the players have high work rates as their general style of play, not some kind of mysterious bonding which Pardew has instilled in them.

I go from what I’ve seen on the pitch as well. Clueless cohesion, living off individual ability, awful use of players in their positions and breaking abysmal records left right and centre and fearful, stumbling football.

Harley I know your affections for Alan run high, but you can believe what you want and keeps those green eyes starry.

Look at his shameful actions in in front of the cameras where he can’t help leaking his ego. That didn’t come from nowhere.

Anyone can be polite from time to time, but how much can they limit themselves from being an imbecile…

• tequilamag

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Santon did not go well last time when Pardew had the stadium ban but now he has complete control who knows he could surprise us.
    I hope he does well at least till the end of the season when we will have better options for a permanent manager

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:38 PM

tequilamag

I’m still moonwalking mate :), but I believe if MA signs an English manager we will go down and this time we won’t come back up.

I also believe Carver will have the same style as Pardew, lets face it he’s been praising him to much and giving fans sh!t for shouting our views.

but I guess we will never know until Burnley and LC games crop up.

• Mag52

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:39 PM

LR 32.

Absolutely no reason why anyone should take you seriously.
    You cleared off from this site the very week our good run started, and didn’t dare to show again until you were sure it had finished.
    Now, once, again you’re full of it. Full of bile and sh/t.

• tequilamag

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Black and White I dont have an issue with Carver being passionate sometimes a bit too passionate but better than not caring nor is it surprising he backed his boss. It would be a pretty poor assistant who slagged his boss off in public and not a person fit to be a senior manager.
    As far as the football is concerned I will hold judgement till I see how he sets the team up for a game we should be confident of getting 3 points from

• Harley

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:42 PM

LR32

No they don’t say he’s polite now and then they say he’s polite every day with everyone and that everyone thinks he’s ok.

We will all be begging for pardew to come back in 6 months. Not my affection for him saying that, rather my distrust of who Ashley will replace him with.

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:42 PM

4 seasons working with Pardew is about to rub off on Carver unless he’s the next KK in the making ( which I highly doubt )

• Laurent Robert 32

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Jeff from Rainbow, he was a professional player who has played under him and I don’t care where he comes from.

Just another in a list of people who detest his slimy character.

Funny how Pardew had demonstrations to get him out of Charlton and West Ham and Newcastle.

Good riddance.

• Mickey G

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I haven’t been on this blog for a few years, family problems .
    But I’ve got to say I am so pleased to be rid of Pardew, he was an absolute embarrassment for this club .
    I appreciate some people being nervous about who Ashley may employ but lets face it gary glitter would be an improvement on the slimeball that is pardew.
    Myself I will be having a little bet on Mcoist as the next manager not that I’m keen but things seem to be ready made for him.

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:44 PM

tequilamag

I fully understand your point mate it’s just them 8 games he was in charged with that scare me, but then again Pardew was the string holder for him.

• Harley

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I’m sure carver is a lovely bloke but manager of a club our size he definitely isn’t.

Our expectations have been dampened so much now that we are disappointed pulis has become unavailable.

I mean can you imagine saying that a few years ago?

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Right guys I’m off to pick up my mother for the New year so all the best guys for the New Year and try not to get to smashed because we have a match tomorrow 😉

HAPPY NEW YEAR 🙂

• santonthenewmaldini

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I honestly think this time around will be different for hiring a manager Graham Carr is trusted to buy players I dare say Ashley will be asking who could work best under these circumstances and I am pretty sure Carr will have a list of managers probably ones we will have had dealings with

Love it how all the “managers” who are British have ruled themselves out like Pulis and Bruce before Ashley came to Newcastle they would have been lucky to be asked about a job cleaning the reserve teams kits !!! Our stock has fallen in football but this is an ideal opportunity for a manager to make a name for himself because after the other top 7 teams in the premiership we are the next big club prove yourself here and get a job at Man Utd , Chelsea or Arsenal in 3 or 4 years time

• the truth will out

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Harley,you are having a laugh suggesting we will want him back.

• Munster Mag

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Laurent were there demonstrations against pardew at other clubs. Not sure about that at all. Can anyone else verify?

• Rotonda heights

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:49 PM

why are people panicking about being left in the lurch by pardew. No manager at all would be an improvement.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I for one am not getting cold feet but very interested to see what Mashleys next move is and does Carver have what it takes, being a local lad and supporter to tell us how great Mikey is after a barren window and top player exits, I suppose Peter the Great can so the answer would be yes, whether he has what it takes to be the front man for Mashers insidious running of the club AND keep us in mid table is a different matter.

• Mag52

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Tequilamag.

It’s not just Black and White who have been on another planet, it’s most of the pie in the sky brigade who are expecting an exhilarating new brand of attacking football at SJP now that the only brake on this style has left the club.
    With our brilliant squad (so the story has been) we should be up there challenging the big hitters in this league, were it not for the malign influence of AP.
    Well, we’ll see won’t we.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:50 PM

yes munster at charlton and west ham. do the old wise trick and youtube it. i think some are still on there.

• tequilamag

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:51 PM

RH well that theory is about to be put to the test.
    My worry is the team always seem so fragile to knocks other teams brush off. It only took the loss of one player for the wheels to come off last season

• Laurent Robert 32

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Mag52 haha.

I’d given up looking anywhere apart from watching 90mins of football for a couple of months because that’s how much I detest what the fat man and his puppet have been doing. I actually stopped before the ‘run’ started, so you’re dreaming on that one. I was only going to start reading again only when Pardew had gone, but after ANOTHER derby loss I decided to see how others were feeling on here.

We still relied on individual ability in those run of games as well. Leicester was atrocious and he risked Cisse at the end to once again save his bacon. Didn’t even have a shot on goal first half against Tottenham. Everyone defend and let Sissoko run with it, hopefully him or Perez can nick something. That is his general tactics. Abysmal.

Plus, I didn’t come on after we twice conceded 4 goals after that run, which you forgot to include. Why is that?

It’s hardly a dare not to come on, that’s some childish way of thinking. I shall come and go as I please.

• Harley

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:56 PM

The truth will out

• ronaldo aarons

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Santon

I hope that’s the case as before he probably would have been taking advice from llambias lol. But I’m not holding my breath.

Regarding pulis and Bruce, I personally don’t think they’ve been approached whatsoever. Just media talk and ruling themselves out before an offer has been made. Similar to when the England manager position was vacant, pardew felt the need to rule himself out lol before hodgson was appointed.

• hibbit

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:56 PM

munster mag very true the one’s at charlton got very fired up……..also had bother at reading

• Rotonda heights

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:58 PM

So who is to blame for the failure of anita 6M, cabella 12M, rivi 6M, MYM 8.5m, De Jong 6M. ferryra 2M etc etc.

Ash is a cnut of the highest order but is it all down to him that none of those mentioned have perfomed since they rocked up here. Circa 45M + on 6 players is hardly loose change. Indeed pardew even thanked himself for signing them.

• the truth will out

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Harley thats what you wrote, are you backtracking or just being ambivalent

• Laurent Robert 32

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Munster, I’m not pulling up all videos, but here is one: http://youtu.be/GeOnJOwE35U

• toonicle

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:00 PM

His team selection against Burnley will be very important in trying to either set himself apart from Alan, or show that they were on the same page in terms or players. If he continues with playing Pards favorites and a 4-2-3-1 then all I can say is he better not be staying in charge for long.

• Marty-Toon

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:02 PM

What have Pardew and Tiote in common?
    They both use so much time to make things happen.

• hibbit

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:02 PM

de jong needs to top that list as pardue played him when he had a slight injury against med advice and we know what happened next

• tequilamag

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Anita can`t really be called a failure he has played a lot of games he was never meant to be a super goalscorer more a water carrier. He ca`nt get in the team now as we have bought better players.
    Cabella is improving and him and Rivi have only been here half a season. Still plenty of time to adjust. How long did Sissoko take to hate this form.
    SDJ is injured that is hardly a failure.
    Ferry was a gamble nothing ventured but at least we can send him back

• Rotonda heights

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:03 PM

tequila

tbh i don’t have a lot of faith in carver or stone

however, it may just be that the players will be freer, goofy and willo may not be automatic choices, we may go 433.

i think a lot of people are in a state of excited linbo at the moment

• tequilamag