Who Do You Want As Newcastle’s Head Coach – Poll

Let us know who you would want Newcastle to hire as the next head coach at Newcastle United.

lee charnley and mike ashley before wba game

Lee Charnley and Mike Ashley

We have included coaches who we have been linked with – whether that’s true or not, and we have included nine coaches in the poll.

Dick Advocaat – unattached
Christophe Galtier – St. Etienne
Lucien Favre – Borussia Monchengladbach coach
Thomas Tuchel – former Mainz coach
Remi Garde – former Lyon coach
John Carver – caretaker manager at Newcastle
Steve McClaren – Derby County coach
Aitor Karanka – Middlesbrough coach
Tim Sherwood – former Tottenham coach

Don’t worry whether they are available right now – just vote on who you think would be the best head coach for Newcastle.

It’s one vote per reader.

Who Do You Want As The Next Newcastle Head Coach?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Note: Please see if you can help the Northumbria Police to find this missing person – thanks.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Transfer Sage

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Karanka for me.

Can’t say he is the best option as don’t know how some of these managers set up and their style. From everyone I do know karanka is my pick. Seen boro live a few times at the riverside and they look very organised but also expansive.

• cyprus

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Where’s Kets then

• Toon-Barmy

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Got to be Tuchel from that list but I’d rather go all out for Frank De Boer or even Jurgen Klopp.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:13 AM

I was waiting for us to be linked with Remi garde.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Barmy

Klopp wouldn’t come here at all.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Jesper/Sage,
    I didn’t even listen to the game so I can’t make a judgement. It was just what I had read in several media reports and from fan posts on other platforms.

I decided to watch Gateshead instead, who looked good up until the first goal went in. Conceding the second just before half time was a killer and they collapsed from there. Mills has them playing some good football though, just once the goals went in the gulf in class told.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:18 AM

I can’t believe Sherwood has votes.

• hibbit

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:20 AM

cabella was not in the game for long periods gave the ball away a lot had 2 half chance sunlucky with offside was not the worst but no were near motm ……..we could have been beaten 3 or 4 nil…. best game anlwick has played should have been motm

• Obertan's better than Messi

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Can we have an “I don’t give a s***e” option?

While Ashley’s owner I really don’t give a s…

How can you support Ashley’s NUFC getting knocked out of cups on purpose year after year?

That isn’t what a sports club is about.

• Bambams

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:21 AM

We are in dream land if we think ash will bring in a decent manager.

ash picks who he wants, not who the club needs or fans want.

carver until the end of the season….ash will expect him to get to the 40 points. After that I genuinely think ash will sell up.

I agree with Shearer…ash gave pards the heads up.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Hibbit,
    Yeah, those are similar sentiments I’ve seen echoed on other sites as well. That is why I queried it when Jesper said Cabella did well.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Lilongwe

I caught the gateshead highlights, was good game like you say until the 40 minute mark then WBA took over.

Seen pulis is reported to be willing to sell Berahino in order to find moves for players like Peter Crouch and Aaron Lennon. Two average players who are ageing…exactly why palace didn’t give him control of transfers and why stoke let him go.

• estechco

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Needs FDB at very least adding and possibly Klopp to make it a worthwhile poll?

• Transfer Sage

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Bam bams

I personally think pardew left for a few reasons, move back to his Surrey home he built for his family, double/triple his wages and to go to a club where fans love him.

People say why leave a big club like newcastle in the media and don’t get it. Well we won’t win the league and ashley tells him to get out of the cups, so realistically won’t be any different.

• Ron Knee

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM

We focus on Fatty for obvious reasons, but isn’t the key man here Charnley? He’s paid to do all the donkey work: draw up the shortlist, negotiate the contracts; etc. I’ve seen posts saying Carver is an “easy solution” for Ashley, as if it required a great deal of effort on Fatso’s part, but in the end, it’s up to Charnley to “make things happen” for his master.

• newcs

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM

What prat voted Carver

• Transfer Sage

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Why do people keep thinking we can get klopp?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:25 AM

BamBams,
    Is that what Shearer has said? I think a lot will depend on what happens with the SFA meeting and Rangers. If they stick to their guns then we could see a sale, although it doesn’t make financial sense for Ashley, unless he gets huge money for the club.

Rangers offer him far less exposure and revenue streams than Newcastle, so I’m not quite sure what his end game is there. Unless it is trophies and Europe which leads to making his money when selling up his share.

• JDdubai

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Why isnt everyone focussing their efforts on removing Ashley like they did for Pardew?

Build up the same level of protest, get the publicity, make up whatever banners you want but get it done.

Until he goes nothing else matters, we will go nowhere, try to win noting and succeed in both.

Ashley out.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Cyprus…the club is nuts my friend, but I do think it’s unbelievable the things we where reading when last season ended comparing to what we where reading on here back when we were on our 5 or 6 games wining streak.

Think about it and the blog these days. It’s unbelievable. Yes, fair enough there are always some tossers (always have been and always will be)

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Brilliant interview on radio BBC 5 live with Sir John Hall and why he left/sell and Ashley and intentions.

• newcs

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:27 AM

Make that prats

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:27 AM

Transfer, I very much agree with your post on the last thread. Making a small rotation frequently is good as it keeps players used to the playing system without disrupting the fluency of the core team.

As you say, when injuries do come round it minimises the negative effect of them overall team. It’s logical and effective when used in a far better tactically drilled group. That is not our group, at the moment. Hopefully an intelligent head coach comes in to rectify that.

• Marty-Toon

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:28 AM

I think Carver did the right thing in leaving those players out,they needed a rest.
    All well thinking that they’d have a week off after the game but if some of them got injured we’d really be down the crapper.
    Every other club plays young lads,we should give players a chance in the cups and our young lads should be at a certain standard that they could come in.
    Vuckic isn’t a young fella anymore,he should either be in the first team or shipped out..
    Ashley needs to take a big few thoughts about what he wants to do with the club.
    I for one think we should empty the stadium on match day,not just once and not just a thousand supporters

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Sage,
    I think Berahinho would be off even if Pulis didn’t want him to be. He looks like a player wanting a move. Talk of £20 odd million for the lad is incredible mind. Everton look to be planning the same to allow Martinez, another awful in the transfer market, to fund a spending spree. Talk of £45million for Barkley. Another ludicrous figure. Barkley is a good player and has great potential, but that amount? And we are supposedly talking £15-20million for Sissoko?

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:31 AM

From NUFC.com
    ”That already undermines Carver’s position as he called the side his strongest possible selection and it suggests to us that he is immediately being dictated to from above.”

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:32 AM

Hibbit/Lilongwe…take TS’s comment from his wife and take my comment from the radio feed!

Toss in everything we discussion on here on a daily basis and you’ll will come to the conclusion “beauty is in the eyes of the beholder”.

I thought Cabella did good yesterday from listening to the radio feed it seems the pundits thought the same and so did TS’s wife 😉

• Transfer Sage

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM

Lilongwe

Exactly. Don’t let him leave unless 30mil comes in, he’s on alog contract and don’t need to sell. Let him go on strike like cabaye if he wants, no club would touch him unless he is playing well and regularly (something cabaye soon realised).

The figures for those are crazy. I get £20mil for Berahino as he looks good, strikers costs money too so fair enough. Barkley figure is crazy, for me this year he seems a bit big time, wants to do it on his own, not bringing his team mates into the game like he did last year.

If these players are dumb enough to follow the money to a big club then they get what they deserve. If they spent more time developing themselves at lesser clubs where they get game time they could become even better and make more money in the future.

• Toon-Barmy

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:36 AM

These rumours about Mike Ashley ordering John Carver to leave out our five best players so that they aren’t cup-tied is very worrying.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Jesper

My apologies, when I said Mrs I meant girlfriend not wife….can’t be giving her ideas yet 😉

• catchy in norway

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:37 AM

it would be a choice of 2 for me ,

I voted Steve Mac , but Karanka is just as good IMO,

this Tomas T guy , don’t know anything about him, and all I have read pouts to very defensive coach ,

seems stupid IMO to go for a French guy , to many French at the club could cause a problem

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Jesper,
    From the Chronicle reporter at the match on Cabella;

“He was slightly unfortunate that his goal was taken away from him by a linesman’s flag. But he did nothing. Again.

Cabella never looked like he was going to do anything. Even when Newcastle won a free-kick late on, it was Haris Vukic that took it.

Shouldn’t that be the job of the £12million man?”

All about opinions, but I’ve read more saying he was poor then I have saying he was good. As I say, I didn’t watch the match, so I am not making a comment either way. I think Hibbit went to the game.

• Obertan's better than Messi

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Barkley : Ludicrous or ambitious?

Clever move. Nailed on to improve.

Wish it was us.

ASHLEY OUT! Time for more focussed protesting?
    GET OUT OF OUR CLUB!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:40 AM

Marty
    agree with you – feel sorry for fans that travelled but a lot of the TOON players were/are running on empty espec, Perez.

If they had knocks we need to rest them if possible and people have been bleating on bring in the young ones, Armstrong, Satka, Roberts et al so Carver did and is getting slated – can’t win can he.
    Still don’t think he is the right man.

Reason Hall got out is when Abramovich came in at Chelsea he knew he could not compete with his billions and would loose the families fortune trying to keep a pace.

• toon kk

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:41 AM

One thing for certain who ever gets the job will have to be a yes man.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:43 AM

Lilo
    Strange report from the Chron
    Most of the punditry on the Radio and fan phone ins had him nailed on as MOTM

• Slank

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:44 AM

TS @ 1

I have a mate who is a Boro fan and he rates Karanka (or Kanaka when they lose which is quite rare) very highly. He has transformed the team with help from Chelsea.

Foreign coach who knows the English game and is probably more aware of North East football than any other potential foreigner.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Lucien Favre excites me the most. He has a good few years under his belt making him more attractive than galtier or Katanga and isn’t a has been like advocaat

• Slank

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Ron Knee @ 15

I would say that Carr is the key man. With his years of scouting in Europe he must have accumulated a detailed knowledge of managers operating in Europe.

Charnley will not have the knowledge. He will listen to and question Carr and together they will make recommendations to Ashley who will accept their choice as he trusts their judgement.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Slang

My mates who support boro love him, transformed the whole style of the club within months of taking over, the players all bought into it and he used his connections with mourinho and madrid well.

For me he’s one I want. Been to the riverside a couple times this year and the football is great, always attacking and on the front foot, with our players I think he’d have us like Southampton or swanaea in style, not top top class but good, effective, nice to watch football.

1 2 3 6