Mike Ashley Encouraged To Cash In And Sell Newcastle

58 year-old former Arsenal and Ireland International Liam Brady has told BT Sport that no proper manager would want the Newcastle head coach position.

Brady rushed to hospital

Liam Brady – 58 year-old former Ireland midfielder

Liam has been fairly outspoken to BT Sport today, and he also suggests it would be good if Mike Ashley left Newcastle United.

This is what Liam told BT Sport:

“It’s a job that no proper manager would want, I think, because he would know that he would be alienating the fan base straightaway by aligning himself to the Chairman,”

“I think the best thing that could happen for Newcastle is maybe for Ashley to cash in and go elsewhere.”

Liam has a point there, because coaches want to be successful, and they will have seen that it’s very difficult to build a strong team at Newcastle.

Mike Ashley is unwilling to spend the money on good players and he also sells out best player about once a year, with Moussa Sissoko likely to leave this month if a club bids £16M for him.

liam brady at arsenal

Liam Brady as we remember him when he was at Arsenal

And there was news yesterday that Manchester United and Arsenal are preparing bids for Ayoze Perez this month.

We’ll just have to wait and see who Lee Charnley appoints – and when he appoints them

We are hoping that will be this week or even next week, but in truth we have little idea who it may be and when they will be appointed.

Steve McClaren (7/2), Remi Garde (5/1), Tim Sherwood(9/1), Glenn Hoddle (10/1) and John Carver (10/1) are at the head of the betting on SkyBet.

All but Steve McClaren are currently available to take the job – and four of the top five are English..

Note: Please see if you can help the Northumbria Police to find this missing person – thanks.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Thump

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:39 AM

I think Mr. Brady has a fundamental misunderstanding of this club. If a manager comes in and says “here’s the restrictions placed on me, here’s what I can do, and here’s what I will do” and sticks by his word, the whole ‘aligning himself with the chairman’ thing is null and void.

• optimistic prime

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:40 AM

Ibiza

One or two more than Byker I’d expect

• optimistic prime

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:43 AM

I can’t see the coach/manager situation being sorted for a few weeks.

We have Chelsea then Southampton then a gap of two weeks without a game, I’d be surprised If anythings sorted by then.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Thump,
    Do you think a manager/coach will be allowed to speak outside of the script, or do we get another puppet.

• Average_Contents

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Ibiza/OP

That’s also why I’m interested and tend to read up on gers.

I Find it purely coincidental that an offer from sarver of £18m was made public a couple of days ago then another Ashley leech (how apt his name happens to be leach) is appointed to the board as finance director. Next thing we know the buyouts been rejected. Not coincidental really is it.

He’s been there since October as a consultant and since fatty loaned them £3m he’s had the opportunity to appoint him anytime, only when an offer was made was he appointed. Probably to shoot it down. Perfect.

Even after king and the three bears blindsided him by buying shares, he still controls the boardroom it seems.

• davetoon

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:47 AM

If the club sell Perez there should be a public lynching of Ashley and Charnley

• GenralHez

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Steve McClaren (7/2), Not worth the space to print his name
    Remi Garde (5/1), Good potential, go for it
    Tim Sherwood(9/1), Glenn Hoddle (10/1) Both a waste of space
    and John Carver (10/1) The worst possible choice.

• sweendog

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:49 AM

On the transfer front surely we should be looking at kramaric and van dijk, and a right wonger,.

• Average_Contents

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:51 AM

That sarver said before Robertson informed him about rangers he was looking at premier league clubs as a potential investment. Any of our American readers fancy tracking Robertson down and giving him a good kicking lol.

Why doesn’t fatty point him in our direction at a decent price on the premise he leaves rangers all to fatty?

• Ibizatoon

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:51 AM

OP…I don’t see a quick resolution for our new manager / coach either. Just doesn’t’ seem the way the club go about things…you know, being prepared.

AC…It’s depressing. Not only am I interested in our clubs finances, but I’ve now had to take an interest in Rangers too!

Weren’t Rangers and Ashley supposed to be explaining themselves to the SFA? Has that happened yet? I wonder how long he can keep the control he wants without buying more shares.

Seems he has it tightened enough for now.

• curlywatts

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:51 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!CARLES PUYOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Howay The Lads!

• optimistic prime

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Ac

When I saw leech appointed I just though, spy in place for Ashley in the perfect position.

One way or another it will affect NUFC

• beermonkey

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:54 AM

average

this sarver chap has a bigger stake than Ashley
    from what I gather rangers is split into chunks no1 seems to have like a 51% stake (I might be wrong )
    so if sarver just keep buying shares he will get to a point when he can force a sale in his favour
    so on that basis Ashley still has to bring his plans forward I hope although he has a bit of time

• Slank

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Thump

Virtually all the pundits and journalists have said that there will be lots of interest because it is a Premiership club, one of the big clubs in England, massive loyal fan base, some very exciting players, financially secure and has huge potential waiting to be unlocked.

But Brady thinks otherwise. He should know as he was a manager of Brighton in 1995.

• Ibizatoon

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Slank…What you say is true, however, your final and overall point for me is questionable.

“Huge potential waiting to be unlocked”

I agree we do have that potential and I also agree that Ashley has done a lot of the work to get us to that point*, however, have you seen or heard anything that suggests he wants to do that? All I’ve read are statements that would suggest it’s near on impossible, no way, forget it – basically, be happy with what you’ve got.

Much like with players, I don’t see how we get a good manager, other than one using us as a stepping stone to a team with actual footballing ambitions.

Negative view point for sure, but some times reality is negative.

• Slank

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:00 AM

AC

Apart from Newcastle my other club was Glasgow Rangers as my dad was Scottish.

What I’m really puzzled about is how low the amounts being mentioned are. I would have thought that Rangers being potentially the biggest club in Scotland (Celtic fans would disagree) would be talking about sums nearer the EPL level and not the Conference or so it seems.

• Average_Contents

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Ibiza

It’s a sad state of affairs when the only thing we’re good at is making profit. Wouldn’t be so bad if we spent it when needed and in the correct positions on the field. Sadly we never do so it’s pointless.

Rangers and fatty have a hearing on 27th January about his “interest”

• Obertan's better than Messi

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:02 AM

I agree with Brady.

Look at Carver after playing the weakened team.
    He’s Ashley’s puppet.

Anyone appointed is Ashley’s puppet because of the terms.
    Weakened team in the cups – Ashley’s puppet and quite rightly.

This weakened teams in the cups is disgusting.
    Carver you are a disgrace.
    SBR looking down on him as he wrote out the team sheet and he sold his Geordie soul … again.

Anone

• optimistic prime

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Up until seven years ago my only Intrest in NUFC finance was how much it was for a ticket a beer and a pint.

Now the sums are more interesting than the football served up, you might have nothing to brag to your kids about NUFC but they’ll be 5hit hot at math.

• optimistic prime

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Ticket beer and pie pie pie, I’ve got drink on the brain.

• expatmag

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:06 AM

They will drag this appointment out till the end of january so the new bloke, whoever he may be, will have no time to buy players.

• Slank

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Ibizatoon @ 15

I’m only repeating what has been said by football pundits and journalists who admit, as I do myself having supported the club for nearly 60 years, to be being puzzled as to why we have never won a domestic trophy for nearly as long as I have been supporting the team.

It’s me, I’m cursed. Perhaps an evil Sunderland witch put a curse on me as a child. All remedies welcome to release me !

• beermonkey

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Ibiza

look at last jan forget the fact we sold cabs but we still need a defender and or striker same in that summer and we found out we had 10mill profit in the bank or behind the sofa

look at this year we bought with what we sold yet we are still short players yet we all know if you take out the 20 mill for training facilities we still have around 20 mill

so I think its clear that the clubs statement we can spend what we make is wrong

if we were allowed to spend what we make over the next couple of years we could a pretty good squad capable of Europe most seasons its all there with in the club and wont cost Ashley a bean so why not do it

• Average_Contents

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Beermonkey

He hasn’t invested anything yet or bought any shares from anyone by all accounts and yes he could buy shares but as the press have mentioned this is a lengthy process to get enough required to be the majority shareholder and although fatty has under 10% he effectively controls the boardroom so he still controls all the cards.

Slank.

My uncle is a rangers supporter and I’ve always kept a lookout for their results but that’s where the interest ended.
    I agree on the lowly amounts mentioned but I suppose with them being a “new company” after being ripped to shreds, decimated and the fact their only in the Scottish second tier it’s understandable.

• hibbit

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:11 AM

expat even if it’s sooner he won’t be allowed to spend only sell

• curlywatts

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Carles Puyol quits Barcelona for Newcastle United!!!!!

• Slank

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Expat mag @ 21

You are assuming that the new fella, under the European style football management at the club, buys the players.

I have a feeling it’s Carr (primarily) and Charnley who do that.

• beermonkey

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:15 AM

prime

that made me smile what a dick he is

• Ibizatoon

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:16 AM

AC…27th….That’ll be interesting. Seems general interest is gathering momentum, not sure the situation can drag on endlessly, so time to sh*t or get off the pot for Senor Ash…hopefully.

Slank…I didn’t realise it was about cup wins, thought it was about what type of manager we could attract.

I’d say curse is the only answer 🙂

Beermonkey…Which just further backs up my stance. We could do more and push on, but it is Ashleys view that the reward it not worth the risk.

Financially he may have a point, but this is supposed to be a competitive sport – what exactly are we playing for.

To be clear, being financially smart is great,but we seem to discount everything else that is important in a football club. It’s such a waste of great potential.

Man Mike, we could have had something beautiful.

• EllaGuru

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:21 AM

If we are looking for a Head Coach, to work the way that coaches do on the continent, then surely there is no justification in not bringing in any new signings due to the fact that we are coach/managerless. My understanding is that the Head Coach has little or no say in who is brought in or sent out, therefore it doesn’t really matter if we have one or not.
    Time for Carr to get the finger out, Cashley to get the wallet out and get the CB and CF in. Who knows, it could even entice a decent coach to come, but that’s just being optimistic

• Obertan's better than Messi

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:21 AM

I have no idea what Ashley is doing with Rangers but I hope the vile creature gets out of my club in 2015.
    Then I can start supporting the club again 24/7 and not just the eleven on the pitch for 90 minutes.

It’s like having fleas and hoping they jump onto someone else …

• beermonkey

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Ibiza

how much more would it cost if you look at our squad ok were down on quality but on numbers we have enough in numbers to play in Europe we have 2 players for each position more or less
    so it is with in the clubs means to go for it

but the benefits to club as a brand would be huge and that’s what I think he doesn’t want I don’t know why for me it would seem to benefit sd and us

• kevymartins

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:32 AM

@ibiza we did have something beautiful even though we made some mistakes like Michael Owen they did not matter because the club was full of passion until Ashley came in and stripped us of our Milners nzogibas Givens and left us with nothing except a head full of hope

• Ibizatoon

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Beermonkey…I don’t feel prestige is something that Ashley really seems interested in tbh.

Financially it wouldn’t take much to get us competing for EL, but the issue is the return (financially) has no real incentive to go for it.

Plus there would be the issue of fan expectations rising and then wanting to push on further….we can’t be having that.

From Ashleys perspective, I imagine he has us where he wants / needs us – I don’t see why that is going to change anytime soon.

• expatmag

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Slank

I am sure that any head coach worth his salt at any club at home or abroad would have some sort of input in what players should be brought into the club.

No wonder the majority of decent coaches/managers treat us like a bad smell.

• Ibizatoon

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Kevy…The hope was beautiful 🙂

To some extent, I can see how the old model wasn’t sustainable and as a club we needed change. I just think we’ve gone too far the other way.

Surely there can be a decent mix between the business and footballing sides to the club.

• Catchy's Pet Lip

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Can’t wait for our one and only signing of January – Ched Evans – it’s gonna happen ladies and gents.

• mindshaft

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:50 AM

I’m sure Ashley would love to cash in, trouble is that he’s 200+ million in the hole and nobody wil pay anything like that for the toon.

I’d be surprised if we sold Perez now for 10 million when he could be worth 20 million if he carries on as he is doing

• expatmag

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Just for the record, here in Australia, the administration of our clubs are run by executive committees and the Head coach looks after the playing side. A manager is the gopher. He organises the strips, balls, equipment, travel arrangements etc.

I have coached at a high level here. Have all my coaching certificates and at every club that employed me, I would be in charge of player recruitment.

I would approach the executive committee to ask them whether I was able to sign a particular player. Their role was to advise me if the finances were there or not. In some cases, the committee went out of their way to find additional funding to allow me to sign a player I really wanted.

I cannot see why this would be any different elsewhere in the organised football world.