Pardew Admits It Started To Hurt At Newcastle

Alan Pardew has talked at length today about his four years at Newcastle, and he has refrained from criticizing the setup at Newcastle or the fans.

alan pardew rubbing brow

Alan Pardew – while at Newcastle

Alan Talked about the two good teams he had,  but he was disappointed about the one we have twelve months ago, which was kind of torn apart when Cabaye moved to PSG.

This is how Pardew described the two teams:

“I can think of two really good sides I had at Newcastle.” “The one that finished fifth – in a way you’ve kind of won the league for a team like Newcastle when you do that.”

“But then I thought we actually had an even better team than that only 12 months ago when we had Loic Remy, Cabaye, Moussa Sissoko, Cheick Tiote, Fabricio Coloccini, Tim Krul – that team was a really, really strong team.”

“I was really hurt that we never got back to that team.” “Cabaye leaving was out of our control, he didn’t give us any movement on that, and Remy got injured and we couldn’t secure the position.”

“We never got back to that and when that has happened before, it starts to hurt.” “They were ninth when I left, it’s a really good, stable club and it’s a good position for a different manager to take it forward and I hope they do.

“You have to show a depth of character at Newcastle and a resilience.” “At times, under difficult circumstances, you have to show you’re brave enough with your decisions to win games and I like to think that I proved that there.”

“I’d be foolish to say everything was hunky-dory and I was happy-go-lucky about it all.” “It’s a serious business for the Newcastle fans. You have to produce, you have to deliver.”

“I got used to that pressure after a while, like you do at any big club I guess, but it doesn’t mean it goes away.” “Defeats hurt, particularly big defeats.”

The Newcastle fans never took to Pardew, even though he is the only Newcastle manager ever to win the Premier League Manager of the Season Award and he won the Barclay’s award and the LMA award in 2012.

Pardew came under extremely heavy pressure from Newcastle fans earlier this season, when we had a poor start to the season, the sack pardew brigade got going.

What we think happened is that’s when Pardew decided it just wasn’t worth all the pain at Newcastle, but he stayed through the hard times early in the season, and even managed to put together a six game winning streak.

But there are easier and more enjoyable ways of earning your money in management than at Newcastle, when the fans are against you, and he took the first opportunity to leave, when the Palace job became open.

In the end Alan Pardew left on his own terms, and he is even being talked of as being quite successful at Newcastle, given the restrictions placed on him by Mike Ashley.

This news may not be helpful in our efforts to get in a  top coach to replace the 53 year-old Londoner.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• WestOzMag

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:53 PM

We need to move on from this guy now. Wash our hands clean and get on with securing a position in the league.

• jimmysmith

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:55 PM

“For me personally and professionally, it was the right time [to move] and the right time for Newcastle, to be honest. I think that four years under that type of monetary situation, the fact that they are trying to push, the history, everything else – it is difficult for the manager.

“……..the fact they are trying to push.” I think that is exactly how I view Newcastle. Skeptically, but not cynically. Trying to push and struggling to achieve because of the financial restrictions. Ashley did say he would support the club to the tune of 20 million a year though didn’t he. I suppose that’s chump change to him really, and hardly flushing it down the pan either, but I guess the difficult relationship with the fans, might have contributed to coal boxing that notion. Bruised ego?

• lesh

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:57 PM

…..and he is even being talked of as being quite successful at Newcastle, given the restrictions placed on him by Mike Ashley.

Given the circumstances he worked under I agree that he did a good job – albeit and especially in the light of some of his decisions and tactics.

Buy then and as many of you will know, when working under great pressures we’re prone to make mistakes or errors of judgement.

• toonbrother

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:58 PM

he was a terrible coach
    good riddance bad rubbish

• lesh

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:00 AM

WestOzMag

Move on from Pardew? What?

He’s a hero and his picture ought to be on the wall at SJP along the other greats – Bill McGarry, Richard Dinnis, Joe Kinnear et al!!!!

• WestOzMag

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:17 AM

Yeh lesh move on from him and get someone else in. I don’t belive carver will do any good. By all means, you have points of view about Pardew and working under strict budgets etc.. but my points of view in regards to head butting an opponent, blatently lying to the supporters etc.. is not needed in this club by a manager who you put your trust into to lead this team. With the players he had at his disposal I expected better results tbh. I know we beat chelsea, city, spurs but consistancy against the lower teams was hard to come by.

• banjax

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Basically Pardew could’nt handle the expectation of the paying supporters to see the kind of slick, fast attacking football that we love here and unless M A lightens up, our next manager will struggle as well. Next !

• dalton7675

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:47 PM

I was a fan of pardew, not at first I thourt chris hughton 2as doing a good job but when we finished 5th I was won over as edd says he won numerous awards for that the guy needs some credit from the haters for that allown but when your not in full control it makes your life hard and I read a comment on another post saying that pardew has done nearly as well as bredon rodgers who had an obscene amout of money to spend I rate rodgers but that alone makes pardew look good and we only have a mid table squad so he has over achieved in my opinion, match of the day pundits said the same and I wish him the best of look he loved our club and it showed but theres only so much a man can take.
    MA is the problem I like the way he has got us debt free and the that the club now makes a profit but them profits should go on repaying his loan and players its assimple as that if he did that he would be a toon hero and a sensible owner but no the profit goes in his pocket