De Boer Hints At Newcastle Job – I’m Honored By The Interest

Frank de Boer has said that he feels honored to be linked with the Newcastle head coach job, and he’s always talked in lyrical terms about Newcastle United who he thinks are a sleeping giant in the English game.

frank de boer

Frank de Boer – honored by Newcastle interest

Newcastle are trying to fill the vacancy left when Alan Pardew left Newcastle last week to manager his former club Crystal Palace.

This is what he has told the Algemeen Dagblad today:

“I am honoured by the interest from Newcastle United.” “But for the next six months I am only focusing on Ajax.”

Of course Newcastle have a number of Dutchmen now at the club in Siem de Jong, Vurnon Anita, Daryl Janmaat and Tim Krul in the playing squad, os they would help him to settle in quickly – if he should get the job.

Frank de Boer is also the favorite among Newcastle fans if a continental coach is appointed.

Who Do You Want As New Newcastle Head Coach?

• Frank de Boer (58%, 6,784 Votes)
  • Remi Garde (21%, 2,465 Votes)
  • Thomas Tuchel (9%, 1,025 Votes)
  • Temuri Ketsbaia (4%, 477 Votes)
  • Paul Clement (3%, 321 Votes)
  • Christophe Galtier (3%, 311 Votes)
  • Aitor Karanka (2%, 290 Votes)

Total Voters: 11,673

Loading ... Loading ...

He said basically the same thing just less than a year ago when Tottenham were interested in hiring him, but eventually the London club appointed Southampton coach Mauricio Pochettino, who is starting to have Spurs play some exciting football.

We saw some headlines yesterday that basically said that Frank de Boer would never take the job at Newcastle, and our fans were being delusional.

But the Dutchman has always talked about Newcastle fondly and with great respect, and just less than a year ago he said that Newcastle and Tottenham and to a lesser extent Liverpool were sleeping giants in the English game.

These are the words Frank used last April:

“I would like to add something to a club like Brendan Rodgers did at Liverpool. I see a perspective at Tottenham Hotspur, just as Liverpool and Newcastle United sometimes are, they are sleeping giants.”

If he got the job maybe he could wake Newcastle up and take us back to greatness, – but he’d have to stop Mike Ashley feeding the club all those sleeping tablets as one first step.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Come on, Frank.

• midweek weekend

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:24 PM

He would only ever come at the end of the season, problem is with carver in charge for 6 months we would get relegated so we need a new manager now, quite like the look of this remi garde, I know a few wanted Steve maclaran but be wont leave derby, twitter sources seem to think remi garde is holding talks, have to wait and see now

• davetoon

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:28 PM

actually sounds positive.

just cant see him agreeing to Ashley’s terms

• toon kk

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Rotonda, from a couple of threads ago.
    Are you blind to the regime? Most of the players brought in were chancers, with future resale in mind. Unfortunately some are injured or simply not good enough.
    Perez is a class player but you can guarantee MA will cash in when the price is right, weakening an future managers squad.

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:35 PM

When McClaren was in charge of Boro I used to listen to the Legends show a fair bit and one of the main things I can recall was people saying on the phone how boring the football was. It seemed to be a common occurrence by the callers. They got a few results which was mentioned and appreciated, but the football was particularly drab and boring I remember them saying.

He has experience of managing outside this country which is a really good thing, but there would be at least half a dozen names in front of him for me. In other words, he wouldn’t get the job.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:39 PM

manxpie,
    It’s not like Rotonda to massage a few figures.
    Rotonda,
    How can you possibly blame Pardew for Ferryaya or whatever he’s called, the guy was obviously a duff bought purely because of the fact that Ukranian clubs are in trouble, sometimes with this regime players are bought solely because a quick profit is in mind, if Cisse had of been valued at 9M do you think they would have bought him that January.

• Markaccus

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Lr32

Agree about there being at least half a dozen candidates ahead of McClaren, but there there is probably a similar number BEHIND too 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:42 PM

toon kk,
    Marveaux was brought in purely because he was free, I don’t know where the hype about him came from but he was crocked when we got him, he his now struggling bwith a mid table club in his homeland, how can Pardew be blamed for that, Rotonda would blame him for Sholas efforts if it wasn’t for the fact he’s been sh1te so long.

• Markaccus

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:42 PM

Ferry is only here on loan, though. No profit in him for Mash. Probably why he doesnt play, Mash wont want another club profiting from any development in the player!

• davetoon

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:45 PM

JFA – are you suggesting that history will be a lot kinder to Pardew?

• Markaccus

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:47 PM

I dont blame the unnamed one for HBA or Marv. HBA was a problem in waiting and Marv never cut it imo.

I DO blame him for Jonas and Goofy. I think they were made to play too defensively and it caused their attacking skills to wane. Still think goofy could be a better player in a more positive set up.

• BandB

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Ed,

Could it be that this is a “how sweet of you to think of me, but I’m washing my hair” (sorry Frank) response from de Boer rather than an indication that he’s hot to trot?

• Ibizatoon

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Well, for all the ridicule the man has had, at least he has eventually sought a truce with the Cardiff fans.

This was the same man who said he’d walk if he didn’t get his own way.

Fan power people.

On thread…Come on Frank mate, we need you now, not in 6 months. If you want the job, come get it!

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:58 PM

Mark, yes, I’d agree that there are even more behind.

• goommy

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Ok Frank, so we just have to stay in PML next season. See you 🙂

• davetoon

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:01 PM

I bet Ashley’s people haven’t even engaged FDBs people

• Sliema

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Davetoon

I absolutely guarantee it mate.

• nightfa11

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:08 PM

it was colo who recomended ferryaya to pardew.. i dont now what went wrong tho.. he clearly knows how to score..

• Sazzer

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:12 PM

MS 7 ?@ms_sissoko
    Je suis un joueur professionnel et je reste concentré sur mon équipe de NUFC #NecoutezPasLesRumeurs

• Sazzer

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:13 PM

I am a professional player and remain focused with my team NUFC

• Ibizatoon

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:13 PM

Sazzer…Does that translate to – “Damn you FFP rules, now I’m stuck @ NUFC”? 🙂

• Sazzer

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Do not Listen to Rumors

• nightfa11

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:14 PM

davetoon – probably, but maybe cos he was never in the frame for the job? would ashley let pardew leave without having a slightest idea of who our next manager will be? im sure he talked to carr before he sold pardew..

• Sazzer

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:15 PM

=) Ibizatoon

• BandB

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Frank de Boer’s longer quote.

“Newcastle are a sleeping giant, with a great stadium and most loyal fans, but what else can I say?

“I’ll be with Ajax for the remainder of the season anyway.

“I will consider a move, if any, in the summer, but only when a great club shows an interest.”

• davetoon

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:19 PM

imagine a world where Ashley was forced to tell the truth Jim Carrey style

• Rotonda heights

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:20 PM

Ok so looking at the 40+M spent on cabella (12M), Riviere (6M), De Jong (6M), Anita (6M), MYM (8.5M) Ferryra (2M)

So 2 French internationals and 2 dutch internationals all now deemed sh–e and that’s why Carr recommended them !!! And this is not backing the manager?….who incidentally thanked himself for buying them.

I would say Carr has got it right a lot of times but these players aren’t pardew type players who will always achieve lower -midtable mediocrity.

Whether you think they are sh–e or not, 40M’s not buttons. So we can’t blame pardew for these players not making it, so do we blame Ashley or Carr?

The next manager if he was of the same ilk as SBR and KK I would give all the tme in the world to.

For a very long tme I have advocated a modern, progressive technical continental manager and I would support them all the way.as they would be the right people of the right quality from the outset and possibly wouldn’t have a go at their own fans for urging the team to score a goal.

Which manager would mind working with Krul, Perez, Aarons, Sissoko, Janmatt, De Jong, Tiote, Colback, Santon, Anita, Cisse etc, etc, etc.

• Ibizatoon

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Sazzer…Where’s the fun in not listening to rumours? 🙂

BandB…I’m sure the same would still apply, but weren’t those quotes from last season?

The next question is, by being a sleeping giant with a great stadium and fanbase…does that qualify as a “great club”?

• Sazzer

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Here’s is his own translation:
    MS 7 @ms_sissoko
    I’m a professional player and I stay focused on my team NUFC #DontListenToRumours

• toon kk

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:23 PM

I think we all can agree we can do a lot better than Pardew and let’s hope we do.
    But we will have to remember who ever our future coach/ manager is he’s going to be under MA rule, just like Pardew he’ll want better player’s brought in but it won’t happen and occasionally our best players will be sold whether they like it or not.
    Unfortunately who ever takes the job will have to be a muppet just like Pards.

• Ibizatoon

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:24 PM

I appreciate this is all rather pointless as the club would still need to want to get in De Boer.

• Sazzer

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Ibizatoon: Ask Sissoko. It was part of the translation.

• BandB

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Ibiztoon,

It’s from today’s Chronicle, published a few minutes ago, and they are similar to last year’s quotes.
    Apart from the “I will only go to a great club” bit.
    Which brings us to your second question.
    Now, there’s the rub.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:27 PM

To Jail Reyantoon, Manxpie and others.

I’m so sorry I’ve clearly been totally wrong about Pardew all along. Please forgive me, I bow to your superior intellect and knowledge of all matters NUFC and to you in particular Jail for never ever changing your mind and remaining so solid in your unending support of Pardew. It’s really admirable.

• Ibizatoon

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Rotonda…Before I jump in, can I clarify what the debate here is?

1) whether Pardew has been backed?
    2) Whether Pardew got the best out of the players he had?
    3) Whether those players are flops and if so, who’s responsible?

I suppose I should add a fourth, all of the above?

• Ibizatoon

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:29 PM

BandB…Yeah, back to the drawing board.

I think I read you’re currently nursing an injury. I wish you a speedy recovery.

• BandB

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:29 PM

Rotonda,

I think we all want to see a modern, technical, attacking manager.
    But that’s Ashley’s job. Not Pardew’s.
    Watch you don’t get trampled in the rush, now!

• firebug666

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:30 PM

By referring to us as a “Sleeping Giant” does that not qualify us as a great club?

Maybe he feels he could wake us up and make us the Great club he desires.

1 2 3 5