Newcastle Must Be Resulute – It Will Be Very Tough At Chelsea

John Carver and the Newcastle players were booed by Newcastle fans after the game at Leicester City last Saturday, when we were again eliminated at the first hurdle of the FA Cup.

john carver on touchline burnley

John Carver – in charge again today as caretaker manager

John Carver made seven changes to the side that could only draw with Burnley at home a week last Thursday, and he has insisted all the players except Ayoze Perez were left out because of injury, and Perez was rested.

We beat Chelsea 2-1 in a dramatic game at Sr. James’ Park in early December, the third time in a row we had beaten them in the fixture, and now Chelsea will be all ready for us today.

On physioroom.com we still have 14 players out through injury, although those who missed the game last week are all magically expected to be fit today.

Daryl Janmaat (groin), Fab Coloccini (gluteal injury), Jack Colback (hamstring) and Moussa Sissoko (hamstring) all had injuries but we expect them to start today.

There were over 4200 loyal fans who made the trip to Leicester City last Saturday, and the display and the result were pitiful – to say the least – and the same inept performance cannot happen again today.

If it does Chelsea will take us to the cleaners.

The good news is it’s a Premier Legate game, which is the (only) priority for Newcastle, so we will likely see our strongest team put out.

We’ll have a difficult job to get much out of this game today, but we should put in a fully committed performance and hopefully our defense can stop shipping too many goals.

We’ve leaked 18 goals in the last seven games, although Tim Krul is back in goal today, and that should help.

Young Jak Alnwick has probably played his last game for the first team, and will likely leave the club in the summer, when 24 year-old Karl Darlow will join the first team squad, after being on loan at Nottingham Forest all season.

Karl looks a very accomplished goalkeeper from his displays at Forest this season.

We are not expecting much this afternoon, but we are still open to a surprise on the upside.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• hibbit

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:42 AM

re post will he bring in his own staff other wise same old one man trying to change staff and playerse post

• Harley

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Nufc 11

I see sherwood as the gamble. He only has a few games experience in the premier league and his form was pretty erratic.
    Whenever he was interviewed on TV afterwards he always seemed a bit emotional and uptight and I didnt like the way he kept slamming his players.

I don’t necessarily see garde as a guarantee to succeed but I think he’s a safer bet than Sherwood.

• cyprus

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Ed,
    I don’t think these people are ‘in talks’ for the job. I think they are, more, being interviewed. Of course, not sure if some of the big names (or heads) will accept that. They’ll be more of a ‘come and get me’ style. Which will disqualify them. They may be ‘invited’ to an interview, though.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:55 AM

Hibbit…I agree it’s not enough just changing the manager – of course it doesn’t mean there is room for any of the old staff.

…Laudrup brought with at Swansea an assistant and a chef scout. That was it. There needs to be a link to club when the manager leaves.

• cyprus

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:56 AM

I thought Sherwood’s honesty, emotion and style were refreshing. I agree that he’s a massive risk. Wouldn’t mind a short term wait and see contract, though not sure he’d accept that.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:58 AM

*there isn’t

• scout

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:59 AM

If any of you think we will get skinned today Chelsea are 5/2 to score 4 or more.
    Not for me im keeping the faith

• Obertan's better than Messi

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Is this match today a priority game?
    I need to know so I can alter my level of support.
    Do I wear the replica shirt and cheer full volume?
    Or do I wear my classy Primark gear, save my weakened voice and just clap politely?

• firebug666

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:05 AM

If Chelsea get it into their heads to day that this is going to be an easy ride for them, that might work to our advantage.

The press the pundits and even the fans are telling them how easy it will be today for them, lets hope that leads to complacency and we might snatch this game away from them.