Newcastle Are A Fantastic Club – I’m Very Flattered – But …..

It’s not surprising that some coaches are saying they do not want to become Newcastle’s new head coach and it usually means it’s those coaches who have not made the short list and haven’t been interviewed.

paul clement

Paul Clement seems to  withdraw from Newcastle head coach race

Paul Clement seems the latest candidate to realize he wont be offered the job – and this is what Paul told talkSport:

“Newcastle are a fantastic football club and I’m very flattered to be linked with them, as well as other great clubs in England.”

“But I’m enjoying my experience in Madrid and I think it’s best for me to stay here in the near future, to gain more experience working with these great players at this great club.”

“I’d very much like to come home at some point and try to cut my cloth as a manager.”

It seems that when players and coaches are linked with another club they do two things – one is to say what a fantastic club it is that are after them, and that they are flattered by the interest – that’s for the consumption of the club that are after them.

But then they say how happy they are in their current job – and that’s politically addressed to their current employees.

But Paul says he wants to stay at Real Madrid in the near future – through the end of the season would put him in the same boat as some of the other candidates said to be on the short list, other than John Carver.

From what we can tell it seems to be down to candidates like Remi Garde, Cristophe Galtier, Thomas Tuchel and John Carver, with the Chronicle reporting today they have information that Tim Sherwood is not on the shortlist.

And with Newcastle saying that former Stuttgart head coach Bruno Labbadia is not a candidate,  his odds have fallen from 8-1 to 14-1 on SkyBet in the last six hours.

It’s really difficult to know exactly what the status is of Newcastle’s pursuit of a new coach, and whether  a  coach will be appointed in the next week or so, because Newcastle keeping their cards very close to their chest.

But the club should be making a statement  one way or the other within the next week – either to say John Carver will take over for the rest of the season, or else a new head coach will be announced.

Bottom line is we need to start picking up some points against Southampton on Saturday at St. James’ Park.

And while we have to pick up as many points as we can in the final 17 games of the season, we need at least 13 to guarantee survival in the Premier League.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• welshgeordie9

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:58 PM

See that’s what we are going to get all this month, from trying to get a manager to getting a player.

Thanks but no thanks.

It’s going to be a long 2nd half of the season.

• jimmysmith

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Bigger problem with Carver, I think, isn’t him keeping us up, from what we’ve seen from him so far. It’s him doing well enough and then being offered the job permanently. Which I could see Ashley doing by way of opting for a safe pair of hands and showing some misguided loyalty, when it would appear we really need an injection of guile, dynamism and leadership that you can’t see John bringing in a month of Sundays. Carver til the summer, then looking at a larger pool of managers is I suspect no better guarantee of landing the right man at all. Sorry JC.

• firebug666

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:02 PM

Welshie

It won’t be that bad mate, we have always got Carver……

AAAAAArrrrggggguuuuuuuuue.

I was sticking up for you Welshie @ post 235 on the previous thread.

• Sliema

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:20 PM

Welsh

What’s new mate? It’s always a long 2nd half of re season under MA. Unless of course we are relegation threatened, then he just buys a few players which we should have signed the previous summer anyway.

• 70TWO

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:20 PM

To all those saying that they would take Carver until the end of the season in anticipation of a better man in summer. Would the same apply if it was until the end of next season 2016 and MA sold the club?

Both just as unlikely, other than Jzee be the man in the firing line, taking the flak for MA.

• welshgeordie9

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Sliema

What’s new, nothing to be honest mate apart from have a go welshie night every night, but i love it.

• Jeff from Benwell

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:29 PM

The last asst manager Ashley appointed to the top job, won the fizzy pop league with a record number of points, beat Arsenal away , and the Village of the Damned 5-1 Both then and now the players were onside

• Sliema

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:30 PM

Welsh

Have a go at Welshie night? I got bored of that a while ago mate. You do give as good as you get though in fairness, and you enjoy it too imo! 😀

• firebug666

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Weshie

C’mon mate I wasn’t having a go at you, it’s was just a bit of banter to break up the monotony of arguing with toonbrother all night.

I did try to involve you in some football chat & debate but find it difficult to debate one sentence answers.

• jimmysmith

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Newcastle still have 10 players out injured, and have had that number or more out basically all season, when the average number is generally about 5. We’ve essentially been without, DeJong, Santon, Obertan and Aarons all season, and Krul for 6 or so crucial games. It’s surprising we are still in the top ten particularly after the start we had and does suggest we should climb again as they now start to return. Six or seventh still on the cards.

• BandB

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:28 AM

Do you know what I dream about Sliema?
    I dream about sitting on my Dad’s knee, watching Muhammed Ali.
    In the dream, I’m a boxer:, tall and lean.
    A perfect synergy of mind and muscle, easily slipping the punch, moving left and right and setting up my counter-attack.
    What doesn’t happen is that I’m caught flat-footed with my gob open by a crude lunge, that hits me right in the middle of the face.
    It blacks both my eyes at once, and splits the bridge of my nose, sending blood and snot and tears everywhere, no matter how defiantly I clench my teeth.
    I am aware that I am sliding down a wall, and that my knickers are riding up my crack.
    I scrunch my fists into my eyes and cry for my Dad, though I will never tell him.
    Done in the name of guys sticking together and taking no sh*t from no-one.
    By a man who thought he was defending the honour of his club and a mate I’d asked an innocent question.
    And off they went, having done nothing to be ashamed of.
    Smiling and putting their arms round each other.
    A couple of heroes.

• Sav

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:33 AM

He’s been in Spain so long he’s forgotten the difference between cutting cloth and cutting teeth – although if Clement ever gets the Toon, he’ll certainly have to cut his cloth according to his measure under Mashley.

• musomag

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:28 PM

I agree lads….business as usual under Ashley

Smoke, mirrors, shock sales/appointments and BS are all part of normal white knuckle ride Januarys at our club.