Newcastle Need To Decide Future Of This Full-Back Soon


Davide Santon has been out eight months with two different injuries – he was out for a couple of months with a hamstring injury, and then he had problems with his knee and he’s been out for six months with that –  and the Italian now is focused on getting his left-back position back at Newcastle.

david santon new strip

Davide Santon – fit again – at last

In his absence local lad Paul Dummett has deputized well and when Paul went to center-back for a while Massadio Haidara came in and the young Frenchman also did well.

Davide has said this has been the hardest eight months in his career and he is anxious to get back and he did play on Monday night for the Newcastle U21 side against Bolton.

This is what Davide has said today:

“I played last April, and was out two months with my hamstring,” “After that it was six months with my knee, so it’s eight months.”  “It’s been a long, really difficult period for me. But I’m feeling better and better, and feeling really happy about that.”

“It’s difficult. My family helped me a lot – my fiance and my baby and my mum and my dad.” “All the people around me helped me a lot. If you are by yourself, it’s difficult. It’s a long time.”

“I’ve come back stronger,” said Santon, signed from Inter Milan three and a half years ago.” “I’ve been training hard for six months. I’ve been finishing at 4pm or 5pm.”

“That’s making me stronger, but I need to keep going and I need to play football. If I don’t play, my fitness level will go low again.” “I just want to play – for my fitness and for myself. I’m 24 years old.”

“There’s always been competition for me,” added Santon. “I don’t have a problem with that – I’m used to it.” “I just came out of the game for the last five minutes because I felt my hamstring when I sprinted,”

“It felt a little bit tight, so I came off.” “I feel OK. Maybe I’m not ready to play 90 minutes, but I’m starting to feel better.” “I will be fine to be on the bench or play on Saturday.”

There has been some news recently out of Italy, that Newcastle may be willing to offer Davide Santon in  a player exchange plus cash we would get from AC Milan for their 20 year-old winger M’Baye Niang.

Maybe a good deal would be that Newcastle would get Niang plus £5M for Santon, but we would be very surprised if Newcastle let Davide go this month.

However, with only eighteen months left on his five year contract at Newcastle, the Magpies will need to decide whether they will offer him a contract extension soon, and if not he could even be sold in the summer, so we don’t lose him for nothing next year.

It will be good to see Davide Santon back playing in the first team again, although we expect Paul Dummett to continue at left back for the important home game against Southampton on Saturday.

We need all three points against the Saints on Saturday – let’s hope we can get them.

Comments welcome.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

16 comments so far

  • Thump

    Jan 14, 2015 at 2:15 PM

    Comment #1

    He hasn’t really been missed, so if he were to go for a good price I’d probably say it would be a decent deal (especially if it’s the swap deal suggested in the past week)

    From last: @OP: Not a chance. The SFA would never allow it (the FA probably would), and both Geordies and the blue half of Glasgow teaming up to go against him? Nah, can’t see it.

    Even then, he doesn’t have a controlling stake in Rangers. He owns just under 20%, the SFA aren’t going to allow him to increase that while he’s still owner of NUFC, so he simply doesn’t have that power.

    0
  • optimistic prime

    Jan 14, 2015 at 2:18 PM

    Comment #2

    Thump

    Just another crazy day at the toon.

    I’d agree on Santon and the £8mil plus Niang suggested would do me.

    0
  • G

    Jan 14, 2015 at 2:20 PM

    Comment #3

    Just to add to Thumps comment, MA does not own SJP, the City Council do, and there is no way they will let it happen.

    0
  • Slank

    Jan 14, 2015 at 2:21 PM

    Comment #4

    Santon could be the only ‘top’ player at the club who could be sold for good money and not be missed with Haidara and Dummitt more than capable of filling his shoes as both are left footers.

    0
  • Thump

    Jan 14, 2015 at 2:22 PM

    Comment #5

    @G: I thought that the council owned the actual ground but not the brick and mortar?

    Also from last post: @Ibiza: It’s been discussed before with the dual tiered PL (ala the football league), but I doubt they’d waltz straight into the league unless Rangers came to us (won’t happen).

    Also, with Rangers in the financial position they’re in… how the fsck would they be able to travel down to Southampton for an away day?

    0
  • hibbit

    Jan 14, 2015 at 2:24 PM

    Comment #6

    thump he own’s just under 10%

    0
  • Thump

    Jan 14, 2015 at 2:26 PM

    Comment #7

    Come to think of it, with club mergers wouldn’t it need to be a case of a NewCo?

    0
  • Thump

    Jan 14, 2015 at 2:26 PM

    Comment #8

    @hibbit: Ah, right, he wanted to increase his stake to 20%. Cheers for clearing that up, mate.

    0
  • Slank

    Jan 14, 2015 at 2:27 PM

    Comment #9

    Thump

    That article in The Mag I believe has been released early.

    It was probably intended for April the first.

    0
  • G

    Jan 14, 2015 at 2:28 PM

    Comment #10

    What value do the bricks and mortar have withou permission to carry out activity on the pitch? Bit of scrap metal value in the structure, but very little else mate.

    0
  • Ibizatoon

    Jan 14, 2015 at 2:29 PM

    Comment #11

    Thump…That last line gave me a laugh 🙂

    Yeah, I really don’t see how that could work or be allowed.

    It’d also mean he would effectively have to take a £200m+ loss on us, just to get Rangers in to the PL? I don’t see it for a minute.

    Back to the drawing board. At least we got a few minutes break.

    As for Santon, as many others have said, if someone has to go, it’s probably best it’s him – although I do quite like him as a player, defensive frailties and all.

    0
  • Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

    Jan 14, 2015 at 2:30 PM

    Comment #12

    Santon for me has been the most disappointing player of the Pardew era. Signed as a huge coup with a lot of promise and he’s never ever shown it. I can count on one hand the number of good games he’s had. Aside from those he’s been bang average at best and poor at worst.

    I think he’s suffered from poor coaching, lack of playing identity and injuries of course. Unfortunately for him it seems the bad factors have combined and targeted him. Id sell him. Unless he’s going to be used and retrained as a RB or RW then we don’t need him.

    0
  • BeeGuy

    Jan 14, 2015 at 2:40 PM

    Comment #13

    Santon has more sense on the pitch than Dummit ever will. Santon is also faster and passes better. I like Haidara, but think he needs to move forward to wing. He would give Sammi a good run for who gets the start.

    0
  • grem1983

    Jan 14, 2015 at 3:04 PM

    Comment #14

    @G

    The club do own the stadium, the council owns the land the stadium stands on

    0
  • G

    Jan 14, 2015 at 3:16 PM

    Comment #15

    @14, covered that at post 10 mate.

    0
  • lesh

    Jan 14, 2015 at 3:23 PM

    Comment #16

    G/ Thump

    The land that SJP’s built on is owned by the Freeman of the City. I would assume that the structure is owned by NUFC.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.