Head Coach Search Well Underway – Appointment By End Of Month

John Carver has given his press conference for the Newcastle home game against Southampton on Saturday today, and it wasn’t surprising that he was asked about the search ongoing for the new head coach at Newcastle.

john carver laughing

John Carver – update on new coach search

The Newcastle caretaker manager said something which will be taken as encouraging by Newcastle fans – and John said that the search was well underway, and that a new head coach could be announced before the Hull City game on 31st January, which is two weeks on Saturday.

That also coincides with the end of the January transfer window which will be Monday 2nd February,  because the 31st falls on a weekend (we think that’s true).

This is what John said today:

“We are quite a way down the line in the process, and they are doing it properly and thoroughly, which I agree with.” “But by the time we play Hull, it will be almost a month and I am almost certain that it should be resolved by then.”

“I will plan for the game against a strong Southampton team, get my head together after that and see where we go from there.” “I’ve got to be honest – my sole concentration has been on preparing the team.”

“I’ve not got involved in anybody coming in or out. I’ve been concentrating on just Southampton.” “It hasn’t changed. I haven’t spoken to Mike but I had a good conversation with Lee.”

“The club has a process and you can appreciate this is a massive football club.” “So they have to do their due diligence on everybody.” “There’s a process and I am involved in that.”

“When the time is right they will announce the new head coach.”

It seems that the search is being done very methodically and that’s typical Lee Charnley, who is not only a hard worker but he gets things done, and of course this appointment could be a critical one for the club.

The due diligence will include looking at the records of the candidates, which are said to be four on the short-list,  and what each coach has done to get the best out of teams they have coached – and how they have brought youngsters through the clubs they have managed.

John’s comments are in line with Lee Charnley only asking John to be in charge of the side through the game against Southampton, and the response from John Carver suggests he is still in the running.

But on the other side of things, John Carver, Steve Stone and Andy Woodman could well lose their jobs if the new coach brings in their own coaching staff, as rumours have suggested is what the current favorite Remi Garde wants to do.

But it could be better if the current coaches stay in place at Newcastle, since they can quickly bring the new coach on board with the players, and the history and background of Newcastle United – should they need it.

John and Steve are also Geordies, and it would be good to keep them on the coaching staff – if that is possible.

We’d love a for a new coach to be appointed before the end of the month – but we do not have high expectations that many players will be brought in during this January transfer window.

We really need a good center-back and a good striker,  but we cannot see that happening, but we also hope we are wrong on that.

On SkyBet the two favorites for the job at Newcastle are Remi Garde at 5/4 and John Carver at 2/1, with the third favorite being Steve McClaren at 8/1.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Average_Contents

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:44 PM

70two or for anyone who’s arsed. Obviously not you Jesper 😉

Like I mentioned earlier. He now has his stranglehold so tightly gripped around the rangers throat that he can do what he likes. If he’s undervalued the stadium and training grounds then there’s definitely something in it for him like they go bust and they are his assets to do with how he sees fit ie sell and make much much more than £10m for both, however if they remain solvent then he has them over a barrel. Win win for fatty.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:49 PM

TS…I just think Citeh fans seems to detached from their club…where is the enjoyment?

…I just don’t want it to be like that.

midweek weekend…be careful what you wish for!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:53 PM

I read this earlier and it does go well in line with Lineker’s tweet 😉

…ohh about the appointment of a new Head Coach – well Ed…I think it will go something like this:

“We tried to get a new Head Coach over the line, but we couldn’t find someone who was better than what we already had”. John will take over until the end of the season.

We will then hear the same song at the end of the season and John boy will become the new Head Coach.

• Average_Contents

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Jesper

That’s exactly how it will be. Joke club.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:57 PM

AC…I think it’s quite obvious!

…I am open though to be surprised…so NUFC feel free to surprise me! 😉

• usmagpie

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:58 PM

I am in complete shock that they managed to find someone so quickly, and how wonderful it is to read that due to the end of month signing that Newcastle will not be wasting more money on players we need. I’m thankful that we are in such a great financial position and the club finances are good. I mean think about it, how bad would it be to get a central defender and a striker with proven ability, we would be mad as a club to do something so wreck less to help our club stay in the premiership. Thank god maybe next year Newcastle fans would not have to travel so far like Southampton for a game and most clubs we may face next year in the championship are a lot closer. And you fans think Mike Ashely never thinks of you, now you understand he cares about the long traveling time and burden on fans going to places like Southampton. Thanks Mike you do really care!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Markaccus

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:02 PM

It’s worse than that, lads!

Appatently, according to OP i have talked myself into the job by saying “they’ll be like new signings” a few articles back re the injuries.

• Keith in France

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:04 PM

I think Carver will be appointed . If he wasn’t going to be ,then I think he would have said (or been told to say) that there is no news to report.

Otherwise it’s a bit like telling everyone ‘ I haven’t got it’ – even Carver wouldn’t want to be put in that position.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:06 PM

To all of you ST-holders – just promise when you go to SJP to turn all the attention to the Fat-one and not to Carver!

…regardless, it’s not his fault.

• 70TWO

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Average_Contents

It is down to the SFA and what they judge to be in the best interests of the Leagues. Ie. has lack of the old firm derbies depleted the TV and sponsorship money so much that they need to cowtail to MA in order to keep their own paying jobs. Or face high level of expenditure in court actions, it is not difficult to see which way things are going to go.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:08 PM

if it’s a head coach as opposed to a manager they have no input in transfers so not a big deal if he comes in the window or not.

• lesh

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:15 PM

So it’s gonna have taken about six weeks to appoint Carver is it?

What a conniving set of gits they are!

• Transfer Sage

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:15 PM

jesper

I think city fans are quite good. They are grateful for what they have, they never hounded mancini out as they respected the work he had done in getting their first title….opposite to man utd fans really who had no time for moyes (regardless of what we think of him).

But I know what you mean, if winning becomes the norm then you either get what you expect (a win) or disappointment when you lose….I kind of like not knowing.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:18 PM

I hate the idea that a head coach should have no say in transfers.

Anyone running the team’s opinion should be considered as they are the ones who knows what works and what doesn’t work. Obviously they shouldn’t have final say unless they have a proven and continued record of success (like Alex Ferguson) but they should definitely be listened to,

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:22 PM

Surely they can’t be so brazen as to wait until the window is shut then announce Carver as the coach, cann they ?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Rotonda/TS…I know there is no way one can generalize when talking about the continental system and the British system, but I believe it’s a misconception to state coaches on the continent have to say in how comes in or even leaves.

…they don’t buy the players, but actually quite alot have finale say!

…maybe Mr. Fatty didn’t get that memo (what do I know). We have been told that AP had a say in our transfers – maybe not all (which will explain alot actually 😉 )

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:25 PM

*to = no and how = who

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Jail…sure they can! …and they most likely will!

• JAMSHA(CARVER SLAYER)

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:28 PM

sure carver is the new head coach…wait untill its official…the clubs gona give a excuse.. that no manager wanted to leave thier club..oh an NO players comeng in and probly 1-2 players LEAVING

• Transfer Sage

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:29 PM

jesper

Oh i know what you mean, I was just referring to the way the media here describe it.

If Pardew is to be believed he had say in some transfers, total say in some such as Ba, so a manager will surely be given input as part of a group.

And likewise no manager ever has had total say, they must stick to what the club can afford/be willing to loan

• optimistic prime

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:29 PM

Double bubble lads double bubble.

No manager to pay and compo that’s a win win win win in Ashley’s books

• 70TWO

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:31 PM

The employment of a Head Coach, who does not have the overall authority to buy players at NUFC, does not preclude the transfer of players in from happening as it is beyond the remit of the role. Therefore if the club, yet again, do not bring in any new players they are saying (without saying) that there are enough players of quality to see us through to the end of the season. Either that or “We are not spending any of the clubs turnover”, “We have no aspiration” and “Local pride means nothing to us”.

If the judgement is that the club has sufficient player resources, then whoever is appointed as Head Coach will have to ensure that the team performs cohesively and not repeat the fractured, clueless displays that have become common place. As always the fans await to see and have little information or involvement; only the colour of their money is of any interest and a begrudging acceptance of emotional expression.

• 70TWO

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Jail for Ashley

Brazen to you and me, intently hard working and no avenue not explored to them.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Well I have to run for a while…keep up the good chat!

…and don’t let Ibiza ruin it when he comes on 😉

• Markaccus

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:41 PM

My first acts as head coach… Colo is going to be my assistant while still being my first choice CB. (Just for you, Toonbrother). Santon will be janmaats understudy at RB (just for you, ketsy). I am bringing mbiwa back to play regularly. Finally (for now) i am drawing going to draw Riviere a map to the goal.

• optimistic prime

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:44 PM

Mark

Good shout, saw your potential early on.

• stan anderson

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:44 PM

Well would you believe it.No appointment before the end of the month,totally surprised by that,HaHa.
    And you will still pay for tickets and feed the fatman what he craves.Money Money Money.

• Our Toon

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Was it Slank who said no one in the city can 2nd guess MA because he’s such an astute businessman!! Well I think 90% of this blog called carver till the end of the season when pards left!!

• Rafael

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Remi Garde in please. Keep Beardsley and Woodman on the coaching staff but rid Carver and Stone, Geordies yes but mediocre on a good day and can’t push the club far up the table. New coach is better having an assistant he is comfortable with and if he is a good tactician that means someone better. Carver swore at the crowd only a few months ago, get rid and we all move on. All the best to them

• GeordieInSunderland

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:40 PM

If Carver gets the job that’s me finished and will give the notice on the 10 year ticket. I cant continue to watch a very important part of my life become what it is lifeless and no ambition.

If it was a marriage you would only put up with this torture for so long. If its Garde I will give it one more season.

• lesh

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:06 PM

I see a problem with this due diligence malarkey.

If they get the candidate they want now, fine or if they pre-contract with someone to join in the summer, then fine and Carver’s there ’til the new guy comes in.

But, If say they decide not to offer the job to any of the shortlisted candidates now, then one would expect them to be uninterested in the job in future – especially if we sell key players, fail to buy as necessary or skirmish with relegation!

Pi$$ up brewery comes to mind!