This Man Still Hopeful Of Getting Head Coach Job

Caretaker manager John Carver will meet with Managing Director Lee Charnley after Newcastle’s game against Southampton on Saturday and before the squad leaves for their warm weather training in Dubai.

john carver on sideline in blue

John Carver – still hopeful he’ll get head coach job

There’s no doubt that John Carver wants the job, but there are questions about his experience to take over at Newcastle as the head man, after he has spent almost four years as assistant manager to the unpopular Alan Pardew.

This is what John Carver has said today:

“I will get an update about my position after the match. I’ll have a conversation with Lee before we go away.”

“I haven’t spoken to Mike but I had a good conversation with Lee. It hasn’t changed. The club has a process and you can appreciate this is a massive football club.”

“When I was managing in Toronto, one of the reasons why I came back was because I was trying to do it my way as in I was head coach looking after the football side of it, trying to progress the technical side and the match analysis.”

“Unfortunately they weren’t moving as quickly as I wanted them to and I got very frustrated.” “I will do it my way because I think that’s best.”

“I can understand why people may think I’m like the previous manager, because I’ve been working with Alan. But I’ve set the team up slightly different on the pitch, certainly against Chelsea you saw a slightly different performance.”

“I’ve done some things different on the team meetings, how I’ve worked with the players is slightly different. I am my own man. This is how I look at it is you live by the sword, you die by the sword.”

“If I don’t do it my way and I don’t get the job, then I’ll think ‘why didn’t I do it like that?” “I’m going to do it my way, and if I don’t do the job then at least I know I’ve done it my way.”

“I have had two of the best weeks of my life, because I’ve been able to get on with the football and not worry about anything else. I’ve been able to work with a group of players who have been absolutely outstanding.”

“They’ve listened to what I’ve said and they’ve bought into what I’ve tried to do.” “When you’ve had two weeks like I’ve had, it gives you that hunger to want to do it for the rest of your life.”

“It has absolutely whetted my appetite for it. “

In our poll there’s not too many Newcastle fans want John Carver to be the new head coach.

Should John Carver Be The Head Coach At Newcastle?

Loading ... Loading ...

But John said today in his press conference that he thought the head coach position would be filled before the end of the month, and that would be good.

We’d be very surprised if John gets the job, but we’d like him to stay on as a coach at Newcastle, if that’s possible.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Dingo†®

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:26 PM

no comment

• stuart no9

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:29 PM

stuart no9 // Jan 15, 2015 at 11:22 PM

have we got nowt on tubbs so we can take him to court just like the jocks are doing??

• Average_Contents

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:31 PM

You still haven’t spoken to fatty? Near 3 weeks and he hasn’t rang you once? What was someone saying the other day….oh yeah that’s it! He attends games because he cares and has an interest. So much so that he hasn’t even bothered to speak to the man in charge of first team affairs, who’s effectively striving to keep us in the division yet the fat kunt has been in contact with the king now in his palace back darn sarth to say well done. Obviously I have entirely different view of what caring means. Disgraceful but not entirely surprised.

Fat slug out.

• stuart no9

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:37 PM

carver expects a decision on the new manager b the end of the month . thays about right then isint it ??

• Average_Contents

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:37 PM

There was something else carve-up mentioned regarding the city and football club.

Something like we know how much it means and how it’s so important to the fan’s and the city.

We know? Who’s we?

Your certainly not suggesting the regime give two flying fcuks are you john?

I think it’s evident that they clearly do not.

• Average_Contents

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:43 PM

He was suggesting a new manager would find it tough because the club is ingrained into the area but by using “we understand this” clearly meaning the regime, then it gives his statement very little credence imo.

The only thing fatty and his co-conspirators understand and try to drill into us at every possible opportunity is we are a small club with a limited budget who sells it’s best players at the expense of the team as a whole and making money money money.

Wow. Sorry about the little rants.

• stuart no9

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:43 PM

average — i dont think carver knows what it mea ns to the fans and the city — and i dont give a f”k if hes a local lad or not.

• Average_Contents

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Third paragraph. Who’s we? Anyway I’m off to work. It was nice chatting to….well myself.

Carver said whoever takes the post must accept there is no escape from the fanaticism that occurs day to day on Tyneside and not just match days.

When asked if there was any escape from the city’s love with Newcastle United Football Club, Carver said: “There’s not but that’s part of it. That’s not a bad thing.

“We all know how much it means to people around here. It’s their lives. You have to be able to deal with that. We have talked about players and managers in the past.

“If they can’t handle the environment or the fans or how intense it is, they will never survive here.

• stuart no9

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:46 PM

the trouble with carver is when a new manager comes in , hes gone . so say something nice and get the fans on his side ?? f”k him,

• nufc 11

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:47 PM

Its all a delaying tactic so they wnt be signing anyone this month why don’t they just say they arent in the market this month and get the new manager in now.

• WestOzMag

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:48 PM

Ashley out, Carver out, Stone out, Woodman out and that shit medical team out.

• West Lancs Geordie

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:49 PM

MA has his usual January plan in place.When he let Pards go he had another ready made Pinochio in Carver in the wings. End of the month he sells Sissoko & pockets the profit & announces (the old chestnut) we tried to get a replacement over the line but just came up short. He will also announce Carver in charge till end of season hoping we now have enough points in the bag to stay up. Come on Mr Ashley I challenge you to prove me wrong

• West Lancs Geordie

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:52 PM

To move the Club forward as a minimum we need to keep ALL our best players, sign a 20+ goal per season striker & at least one creditable CB. Willo the weak needs to go together with Saylor the sicknote.
    But that is common sense something that’s been lacking at our club for too many years

• Average_Contents

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:53 PM

Sorry had to post this before I go lol. Go on David, take the ole kunt out. Needs freshening up. He gets my vote. That is if I was actually allowed to vote.

And it’s from SSN by the way.

GINOLA TO RUN FOR FIFA PRESIDENCY

Former Newcastle and Tottenham star David Ginola is expected to announce in a news conference tomorrow that he wants to take on Sepp Blatter for the role of FIFA president…

• West Lancs Geordie

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:56 PM

I think Cashley would love to be in a position to sell the Club & sink his cash into Rangers in the long term.
    Hopefully he will get the chance to do it in the short term. Like tomorrow!

• WestOzMag

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:58 PM

Imagine Ginola as Fifa president. Knickers will be off all over the world!!

• nightfa11

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:06 AM

its interesting that all of a sudden we’re not linked to any players 😀

anyway…im glad rangers fans are making a stand..

• spitfire_

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:09 AM

“But I’ve set the team up slightly different on the pitch, certainly against Chelsea you saw a slightly different performance.”

At a boy, Carver. Tell us. Because under pardew the team never have a good half followed by poor one… or the other way. Doh.

• toonicle

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:18 AM

No, he shouldn’t get the job but those were good words from him and it did make me think twice. He is just not quite what we need now but would hope he stays on at the club when Garde comes in.

• Chris

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:35 AM

“You still haven’t spoken to fatty? Near 3 weeks and he hasn’t rang you once?………..”

Just because Ashley doesn’t communicate directly with Carver it doesn’t mean that he doesn’t care about the club. He’s left Charnley and Carr in charge of things and will have made it perfectly clear to them what he expects them to do. That’s what being a boss is all about – you delegate responsibility to senior management and leave it up to them to carry out your instructions. Carver isn’t part of that senior group so there wouldn’t be any need for Ashley to speak to him directly. Whether you agree with it or not, our interim head coach is only going to be told as much as his superiors decide that he needs to know, which, by the looks of things, isn’t very much!

• jimmysmith

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:42 AM

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the way Carver has set up the team in the league. He’s had two league games, with little time to get his head round it and given us great halves, one decent one and one poor one. The Southampton game is tough but will tell us more. I think he’ll set us up to win and that’s essentially Carver, or at least Carver trying to get the job.

• beefman13

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:50 AM

Jinky , if Carver really has a go for it, we can win this game, him personally has nowt to loose imo, we can definitely surprise Southampton if we get off and stay on the front foot.

• 70TWO

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:59 AM

We know someone who has heard from MA but who is no longer at NUFC.

Particularly from the above quotation and my impression of Carver is that he is quite emotional, lacks clarity and emphasis. Allowing the listener to fill in more information than should be necessary from an articulate leader who requires others to follow his instructions.

I’m not sure if that makes sense!

• lesh

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:59 AM

Carver’s really selling himself. Those quotes of his sound as though they’re answers he might give in interview for the post.

• usmagpie

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:02 AM

Ed Honestly close the blog down!!!!!!!!!!! Lets start it new when he sells the club and this will then give us something new to talk about, this storyline has not changed since Ashley starting screwing the fans and club over years ago. Its like groundhog day every time I open this blog. Lol

• lesh

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:04 AM

Come on Average, you’re a bit scathing about their understanding of what NUFC means.

Does it not occur that the ‘we’ you’ve taken exception to might just refer to him, Stone and Beardsley?

• Canny in Canberra

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:18 AM

Carver is playing on the only card he has to play. Being local. It’s clear he hasn’t the type of experience or knowledge required to get the club to where the people who do care, ie not the regime, want the club to be.
    that said I agree he is well worth keeping about for his local knowledge and club experience alone.
    If he stays though, how loyal and helpful will he be to the new guy. His loyalties would remain with the powers that be.

• The overrated Frenchman

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:53 AM

Carver would be the most exciting managerial appointment since Glenn Roeder…

• Average_Contents

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:12 AM

Chris

Yeah on a need to know basis I get you. I’m not saying ring him and divulge any information or spill your guts.

But not one message of support for our interim head coach from our beloved leader who clearly loves us very much yet he gets in contact with our ex manager after a win and who, whether rightly or wrongly was indeed hated by most fans?

Sorry, not for me. Shows how much he thinks of us and how much class the slug possesses. Not very much.

Lesh

Shhhh. I’m the suspicious type lol. Leave me to stew in the rank remains of the dissection please.

• Average_Contents

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:25 AM

Carver talks of the club in endearing ways like he understands the fan’s frustrations and wants us to be back “up there” giving the top 6 a run for their money yet he clearly backs the regime. Not sure what I expect him to do as it’s a job for him isn’t it.

Lesh

In all seriousness, I wasn’t really questioning his or any of beardo or stones definition of what the club means, more who is this we. I’m entirely presuming he means the head honchos aswell as him. Clearly that isn’t the case as fatty couldn’t give a toss. If he did mean just him and the formentioned two then ok, yeah I get it.

• stuart no9

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:16 AM

the manager leaves , the owner dosnt get in touch with his no2 at all ?? disgusting , but thats ashley the cretin , a good look might have been a nice touch ,
    To me that means ashley has no time for carver and would like to see him and stone gone .

• stuart no9

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:17 AM

good luck * i meant .

• Reyantoon

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:25 AM

So they are to give it to carver,ffs…
    we are fxxd.very surprising.They took this much time to name carver?
    It doesn’t make sense.what s shock.. !

• Reyantoon

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:53 AM

we are far away from relegation..
    how is 8pts difference,makes u think we are far away, when still 17games to play ed? & when they preparing to appoint JC?
    ffs.., give me a break!

• Go toon gooooo

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:50 AM

Carver’s football is heavily Pardew’s way.And no doubt about that.Yes,couple of changes made but the core stays the same.Only plus is playing Cabella and huge minus bringing Sissoko even more up front.That is bad sign for the quality of this manager.But I will say 1000 times that he is surely better manager than Pardew and that is good.

• Go toon gooooo

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:53 AM

Over time he will surely distance MORE from Pardew’s style of football and players selection on the pitch.

• Novocastrian66

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:57 AM

The whole due diligence process is a charade. Carver will get the job, the press release will state they looked at other candidates and Carver was the best candidate. We’re being mislead. Again.

• toonbrother

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:07 AM

buzz off carver nobody wants you

• catchy in norway

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:19 AM

I hope and prey he dosnt get the job , he said he did things slightly different , it needs to be a lot different

both goofy and willo started,

nuff said

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:28 AM

Chris,
    I will just reiterate what A_C said in your post about how much Mashers cares or doesn’t.
    So who are these journos asking Carver questions, nothing about transfers. Apparently it was too late to buy a CB after MYM left.Ok. Yet five months later despite STaylor being injured and out for the season, not a sniff of even attempting to bring someone in.