Newcastle Winger Fighting For His Newcastle Career

Sammy Ameobi has had some good games for Newcastle this season,  and he has only just returned from a knee injury, and he may be in the starting eleven against Southampton at St. James’ Park.

We really need a win in that game tomorrow.

Sammy Ameobi Sunderland 1-0

Sammy Ameobi – in action against Sunderland

Sammy’s contract at Newcastle runs out in the summer, and it’s by no means certain that he will get a new deal at Newcastle,  so the 17 games left this season in the league are vital for the 22 year-old younger brother of Shola Ameobi.

This is what Sammy has said today:

“When the next manager comes in, if there is one, there will a clean slate for everyone, so I need to prove myself again.”

“But it’s something I’m looking forward to – I’m confident in my own ability.” “I have every opportunity to start for Newcastle every week. Hopefully, I can do that.”

“I’m obviously playing for my career. I’m just looking forward to each game and to try and prove myself to whoever comes in.” “The ultimate aim is to get a new deal and stay here.”

“It’s my home town – I’m happy here. It’s just a privilege to play for Newcastle United – it’s my dream club.” “I don’t take it for granted and it’s a real blessing to be playing here.”

“I think I did prove I was worth my place.” “It’s my last season here, so I need to prove myself if I want to stay and get a new contract.”

“That’s what I did, but there’s still a long way to go.” “John Carver’s always looked after me.” “So hopefully he can get me a new contract!”

It will be important for Sammy to keep fit through the end of the season,  because he’s missed quite a few games  over the last few seasons, much like his brother Shola did throughout his long career on Tyneside.

And Sammy cannot necessarily rely on John Carter,  because if  a new head coach is appointed soon and he brings in his own coaching staff,  it’s not clear what happens to the current first team coaching staff of John Carver, Steve Stone and Andy Woodman.

Of course there’s also a decent possibility that John Carver could get the job through the end of the season, if Newcastle decide their top choice for head coach is not available until the summer.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• optimistic prime

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:26 PM

Stuart

I wonder how this will affect season ticket sales and will anything be done like a manager or signings to compensate.

If no manager and no players that’s a blatant two fingers to the fans.

• optimistic prime

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:28 PM

There’s a few players in next 18months who’s contacts need looking at or moved on, and not a peep from the club on any.

• stuart no9

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:33 PM

James because we are too soft mate .. If we had protestedlong enough a coiuple of years ago ashley might be gone by now . but if 52,000 keep flooding in every 2 weeks , we get what we deserve . people couldnt see that then and i doubt they can see it now , or they can see that now but because they have already paid for their seat , they refuse to be out of pocket and miss a few games . and this is the outcome of it

• stuart no9

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:39 PM

optimistic——-IMO Ashley has this habbit of dangling a carrot at the start of every season to convince people to part with their hard earned cash to watch rubbish football every week . people fall for it year in year out. we will see what houdini has up his sleeve this year,

• Transfer Sage

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:39 PM

163Transfer Sage // Jan 16, 2015 at 11:38 PM

If attendance numbers didn’t matter at all why has ashley cut ticket prices to get more people to attend? If he want bothered then surely he would have left them as they were and had 40,000 there most weeks.

The reality is it does matter. TV won’t put empty stadiums on telly (especially for a mid table side) half as much, and as 25% of the TV deal is shared based on TV time that will have an impact.

Work it out on the basis of 52,000 at an average of £30 a ticket (tickets range from 15-90 depending on seat and category of game) so that’s 30 x 52,000 x 19 = 29mil.

When the club only made a 10 mil profit the year before (expected to be 50 this time purely as we sold cabaye for 20 and bought none in that time) it’s still a huge chunk of the profits.

They club would still survive but ashley might need to put his hand in his pocket to finance some of it, not what he wants, he wants a profit so he doesn’t spend a penny of his own money.

And as others say, we’d be less attractive to players of the ground was empty, they might look elsewhere making it harder for him to get the players to keep us up.

None of this is nice for us fans short term, but long term it would be nice.

• toonbrother

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:11 AM

in a fair worl ssammy would have a huge contract and colocinni would be far as possible away from the club