Newcastle’s Poor Run Could Bring Some Very Good News

Maybe one of the good things that will come out our poor league form of late – for the second time this season we’ve picked up only 4 points in our last seven games – is that Mike Ashley will be less inclined to sell either Papiss Cisse or Moussa Sissoko this month – because we are not yet safe from relegation, and could still be sucked into a fight for survival.

John Carver Southampton+hbOzBdgW6fzl

John Carver – during yesterday’s defeat – our third in last four games

All it takes is to keep losing games, and we’ve lost five of our last seven league games, and we have no head coach.

If you believe the Sunday People today – none will arrive until the summer.

We have 27 points from our first 22 games, and still need around 13 points from the remaining games to be safe.

In our relegation season seven years ago at this point in the season (my arm just started to ache again),  we were four points worse off on 23 points.

Last season we had just beaten West Ham 3-1 with two goals from Yohan Cabaye in his very last game for Newcastle before we sold him to PSG, and we had 36 points after 22 games.

If we had 36 points today we’d be 6th top of the league.

But as we know in the final 10 games of the season, after Alan Pardew was suspended after the 3-1 win at Hull, we picked up only two wins and lost eight – that’s 6 points from the 30 played for. 🙁

So let’s hope we don’t go on such a run this year – because with 9 points less than we had last season at this point, we could still be dragged into another relegation battle.

Remember that anything can happen in the Premier League and anything can happen at Newcastle – which we are only too well aware of.

In fact our poor form of late could even make Mike Ashley bring in some replacements in this transfer window – like a striker and a center-back?

No – that’s not going to happen – we’re getting carried away again. 😀

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• sing in the corner

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:16 AM

on the contrary…if I was a ‘foreign’ player with no emotional connection to the club, given the poor run, lack of a full time manager or prospect of one coming, the spectre of the possibility of relegation looming, I would be edging towards the door. Wouldn’t you?

• expatmag

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:20 AM

I wonder who Carver will stick the nut on at Hull…..lol

• sing in the corner

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:23 AM

I don’t think we will be relegated by the way. But its going to be a long, tense and slow grind til the end of the season if JC has to hold it together til then.
    I would say penny for your thoughts Mike, but he’d mug me for it and do a runner

• sing in the corner

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:26 AM

expat

Ha ha yeah, don’t know what it is but JC strikes me as the type of bloke who always seems close to the edge in some way. Like he could lose it and do or say something really embarrasasing at any moment.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:29 AM

Sing…I think there are plenty of Remy’s out there both in the playing world and the coaching world who would come here…

…but first of all the club need to approach them. At this point I don’t think we have approached anyone.

• sing in the corner

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:29 AM

Wow expat

I bet its warm and sultry down under. Here I am in the north east…the toon have been drop kicked again, its sunday morning and I’m off TO WORK. And there’s a hard frost with a light covering of snow on top of it. Come on man, cheer me up?

• sing in the corner

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:32 AM

jesper

I’m desperate now. I’d take Garde, Mc Claren, or Hoddle even with no clear plan but to give us a stat dose of adrenalin if I could get hold of them on the phone. As long as they could start tomorrow morning

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:33 AM

I didn’t think there was much between the teams yesterday just cannot take our cahnces when they come to us and two mistakes at the back two goals.
    Goufron and Dummett should of scored from headers.
    I would like us to start with Perez and Riviere up front next game as when Riviere came on his link up play and understanding with Perez was excellent. Sammy also played well when he came on.
    I gave MOM to Goufron not outstanding but he covered every yard of the pitch and scored if a little lucky but at least he kept on running at the pass and got his reward but I gave it to him for the first half when twice he got back to deny Southampton a scoring chance.
    Krul at fault for first goal
    Hiadara – good going forward but his defending was poor along with Dummett – poor game should of scored from corner
    Colocinni – did OK
    Jammaat – OK but got caught or their second.
    Colback and Sissoko – both had a off day until they scored their second which seem to kick them into life.
    Anta – tidy but to easily knocked off the ball
    Cabella – as above – came to life after their second goal
    Goufron – my MOM
    Perez – Again did OK but NOT A LONE STRIKER- a lot better when Riviere came on
    Riviere – did well when came on gave their defence problems maybe should of had a penalty
    Saammy – did well – like to see him Riviere given a start at Hull
    Williamson – did OK

Talking about relegation – could be a reality unless we take our chances.

Playing not bad I think, creating more chances than under Pardew need a bit of his luck. Odds are that Palace will be above us by the time we play them and a cast iron certainty they will beat us.
    Going to be a long winter spring.

PS. If we go down – could Allerdyce, Carroll and Nolan put the final nail in our coffin – play them last game of season!!!

• Go toon gooooo

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:44 AM

If Sissoko plays up front relegation is not unbeleivable.The guy is poor there.Like someone said headless chicken.Carver is heavily Pardew dependant still.Dummet CB,Sissoko up front,Anita DM etc.Nothing new except Haidara and Cabella playing in the first 11(our best players).

• SA Toon

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:45 AM

#Charlie in the Gallowgate I agree. We didn’t play badly and the game looked fairly even. The difference (as usual) is the conversion rate at both ends of the park. They had less visits into the goal area but made them count, while we had wave after wave of attack which we couldn’t convert. Our defense is way to fragile and needs a complete overhaul.

• lochinvar

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Maybe the holiday in Dubai will be a good chance for the team to meet up with the new Manager flying in from France or East Midlands airport. If lucky a passing Sheik and his Company might call over and like to invest as new owners and sponsors. As a parting gesture Ashley flies all season ticket holders over for a mid season break, believe me we need it !

• The overrated Frenchman

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Decent summation Charlie. Krul’s effort for their first goal was pathetic and you see that too often from him in my view. Capable of the spectacular but pretty soft overall. I’ve got time for Anita and Gouffran because I think they are honest but really should only be squad players. Perez, Cabella, Sissoko, Haidara and Rivière all have talent and would thrive under a regime with decent coaching and management. Probably throw Aarons in that category too. It’s a pity.

• lee-toon

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:49 AM

I can’t take our club being run like this anymore! I watch every Newcastle game thats broadcast online (i wont line ashleys pockets anymore!) and I have supported my club since i can remember back to. This whole letting Pardew leave and not immediately replacing him in order to make the excuse of being too wrapped up in getting a new head coach to concentrate on strengthening our just above poor squad is the penultimate straw! Newcastle utd is now starting to drop down the premier league and with not many more obviously winnable games left! I can’t watch us in the championship again! I hope the board and Ashley prove us all wrong and get a good new head coach and some more descent players in because if we are relegated I’m not going to bother with the toon until Ashley is gone! Been a fan for 30 years and it’s killing me now to put up with being repeatedly mugged off by Ashley and his board that its come to this unheard ultimatum!

• The overrated Frenchman

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Here’s a question (or two). What legal rights do season-ticket holders have? Would there be grounds to take a class-action against Ashley? Is he guilty of taking money under false pretences? Do season-ticket holders have a legally defensible case that he is not providing “a reasonable service” for the money they are paying? If they were shareholders he would be out of the club and possibly facing criminal proceedings by now. There have been more far fetched legal cases succeed, believe me..

• G peart 83

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:21 PM

No good news until the day this vulture sells up

• magicbus

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:19 PM

What does his current CV bring to the table. Assistant to Mo Johnson in the Canadian League WOW