This Man Is A Big Cog In Newcastle Wheel

It was good  to get a question and answer session from Managing Director Lee Charnley on Tuesday  and Lee did his best to explain the current  situation at Newcastle with the search for a new head coach, and it turns out that Alan Pardew’s departure was something of a complete shock to the club.

graham carr

Graham Carr – very important to Newcastle

What did come out of the interview is that the Managing Director, Chief Scout and Head Coach act as a kind of triumvirate and need to be in very good communication with each other.

Lee was asked whether Graham Carr’s role has changed at the club and this was the answer:

On the football side we look at it as a triangle. That’s me, the head coach and Graham.

Graham’s role won’t change. In terms of this process he will be heavily involved and will support me with his knowledge, his feedback and his contacts to get some background information on the people we’re speaking to.

This will support other research and feedback we have sought and will seek on our preferred candidates. It’s a joined-up process we’re in.

Clearly he will continue to be an important part of what we do in order to move forward on the field and his relationship with the head coach is something that needs to be strong.

What is fairly obvious is that Graham’s role is more prominent and important now than it used to be, and it’s more than that of a Chief Scout and it’s closer to being a Director of Football position – but with Lee Charnley the top executive at the club, it’s probably best to keep Graham’s title as Chief Scout.

But if you remember what Dennis Wise’s job description was when he was at Newcastle as Director of Football in 2008 through early 2009,  Graham does very much the same thing, although Lee will continue to do most of the negotiations on the transfer side of things.

What Lee laid out was that the club is very structured and he went out of his way to say the new position of head coach is not like the former manager position.

His job is to coach the players he has, and bring the youngsters through to the first team,  in addition to communicating with the press.

It’s still a very important role at the club of course, and Lee will almost certainly wait until the summer to appoint a new coach.

That will mean that many more candidates can now be considered, including coaches like Frank de Boer, Christophe Galtier, Remi Garde, Michael Laufrup and Thomas Tuchel,

Waiting until the summer does enhance the chances of us getting a top coach into the club.

Here are the full questions and answers from Lee Charnley.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• 70TWO

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:08 AM

…..forever waiting.

• optimistic prime

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:09 AM

Never say never.

What he means is, I’m not sure who to sell yet, I’m just waiting for a conference call between JFK and Lloyds bank.

• Blofal

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:20 AM

So what we know is Carver will be managing until the end of the season. I think Charnley was softening everyone up for that in his comments. His comments also told me that Carver won’t be given the job at the end of the season (unless some miracle happens regarding results).

I liked this bit though. At least it shows some kind of vision which seams to be transforming Newcastle into an Ajax/Southampton type club…

“His job is to coach the players and implement and oversee a philosophy that goes through the first team, the reserves and down through the Academy to improve the players and to ensure we get the best out of them.”

• Blofal

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:21 AM

And I liked the emphasis on playing young kids. Something Pardew refused to do until injuries forced his hand.

• kingkong

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:26 AM

this club suuuuuuuks….

• magoo

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:34 AM

“First and foremost, they have to be a good coach and with a track record of developing players and giving young players a chance is important.”

out of the candidate names being bandied around, anyone know who fits this description best ?

• wynsleap

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:41 AM

What he REALLY means is that we’ll soldier on with Carver and his motley crew until the end of the season in the hope he’ll manage (somehow) to retain the famous top ten target then we’ll give the job to him as he’s “done well”.
    Can read this shower like an open book.

• KevinHann

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:44 AM

A quick question, if you had to choose between Steve Bruce now, keeping the squad together and adding a CB; and Frank de Boer in the summer but no new players plus potentially selling 1 or 2 in January, what would you pick?

• KevinHann

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:52 AM

Addendum on choice 1, Steve Bruce knowing we’d be stuck with him over the next 4-5 years unless we get relegated, in which case he may or may not choose to do the honorable thing and resign from his 8 year deal.

• Sgt. Heagerty

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:07 AM

What charnley didn’t say was our GOALS? what are the goals for this football club… Relegation bait? Midtable mopes, or European contenders… All I heard was a lot of what we called in Iraq “circle talk”

• jimmysmith

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:07 AM

Well, I think Newcastle are slow and deliberate. I don’t think its a sham, it’s just not competitive in terms of trophies at this stage and possibly never at this rate, and his ownership Newcastle certainly appears of more benifit to SD, than it is to us.

• Sgt. Heagerty

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:07 AM

I want to like lee charnley, he seems like a smart, quiet, professional lad who isn’t a glory hound and thinks he can build a winner playing his own version of moneyball. Building a winner on the cheap. The problem is “moneyball” is a term used for the Oakland A’s American baseball team and they use new age stats and analytics to identify cheap targets that they can win with but they do it out of necessity due to their small market, run down stadium in a run down city, and an owner who doesn’t have the extra cash to inject in the club. So it’s hard to get good players to want to play there and they don’t have the money to pay em….Newcastle United does not have any of these problems. We have a beautiful 50 k state of the art stadium with history, we have a city that is football mad and to a man would sacrifice an arm, leg, or at least a couple digits (fingers) for some real success in the league and of cups, besides the local support the Toon enjoys a huge global fanbase equally as rabid as the locals case in point, me. I became a newcastle united fan as a young 19 year old american kid on patrol in a nasty neighborhood on the westside of Baghdad in 2004 when I became friends with a young Iraqi kid who always wore a shearer Jersey. That’s insane to comprehend for a local Geordie surely that an American becomes a supporter of their club in a war zone courtesy of an Iraqi kid who is a huge fan of the great Alan shearer. But it just adds to my next point, unlike the Oakland A’s, Newcastle is bringing in boatloads of money now with tv deal and fans who continue to fork over money for kits and games and our owner is filthy rich and has more then enough cash to make newcastle a champions league club 10 times over he just won’t do it. So I guess what I’m trying to say is as much as I want to like charnley and believe in his football success on a budget it’s utter shite… More smoke and mirrors, clean em out, all of the bastards who have hijacked our club and shattered any dreams of restoring NUFC to where it belongs in the top 4. My 5 year old son has picked up with supporting the toon watching the matches with me every Saturday morning here stateside (poor unlucky lad gets a dad who fell in love with newcastle and he follows me right off the cliff) started crying when we got beat by Southampton and he said daddy this isn’t fun anymore cuz we never win!!!! KIDS ARE BRILLIANT AREN’T THEY!!!! Oh well unfortunately my son and I are loyal to a fault like all Toon supporters and even though we aren’t having fun anymore like so many of y’all we will continue to put on the game every Saturday and expect to win and hope for something to change at the club and get to have fun again one day. Just my humble view and my son wants me to tell y’all, Howay the Lads!!!

• KevinHann

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:15 AM

Such a young age to get familiar with masochism 🙁

• p

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:30 AM

I think the next 3 results my determine for him whether he waits until the end of the season or potentially takes a second but satisfactory choice

• Mister Tuff

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:30 AM

Weird day.
    1.Bizarre interview of Charles Green from his hospital bed -bigging up Mr Tubbs and owl heed.
    2. Unexpected (staged) Q +A’s from Penfold -not really giving much away and a nice PR job to delay -whatever.
    Is it a delay to get the right man or a delay to allow Mr Tubbs more time with his grab for Rangers.
    3. Probably only decided to say something BECAUSE of Linekers comments.
    Don’t trust any of them – snakeoil salesmen.

• Sgt. Heagerty

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:54 AM

Kevin hilarious mate!!!

• Thump

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:54 AM

That’s a bit kind, Tuff. Even with snakeoil salesmen, you still get something for your money, as opposed to being shafted at every possible corner.

• Sgt. Heagerty

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:58 AM

Is there any hope at all anymore? I mean is there anyone out there who will buy newcastle united? I would take Vince McMahon at this point

• Thump

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:02 AM

@Sgt: I doubt it. I was reading what Freddy Shepherd had to say about Arabs or a ‘Geordie Abramovich’ coming to Toon, and I honestly think he’s right.

It’s a shame. Had any one of them come to the area on a match day, they’d have seen how fantastic the place can be — or rather, how desperately we need their money — in order to find our voices again.

Christ, at this stage I think I’d even take the Fat Controller back!

• 2_goal_tino

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:21 AM

I love how everyone gets so excited about statements saying we’ll give young players a chance. There is a reason why they aren’t given a chance… they simply aren’t good enough. It doesn’t matter about age, you can tell instantly whether a player has something about them. Look at Perez and Aarons – it was obvious from their very first games they had something about them which set them apart.

Last season everyone was saying give Campbell a chance, he’s the new Shearer. he was given a chance and never produced anything, was loaned to St Mirren, Fleetwood and Hartlepool and never produced anything… he’s now at Gateshead.

This season everyone is saying give Armstrong a chance, he’s the new Shearer. He’s been given a chance and hasn’t done anything besides make up the numbers. Next year he’ll get loaned out to St Mirren no doubt.

Next year everyone will say play Roberts, he’s the new Shearer. By 2016, he’ll be at St Mirren or Gateshead.

I agree with giving youth a chance if they are good, but the matter of fact is that the vast majority of our youth players really aren’t up to scratch and or ready for the step up.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:24 AM

Thump – don’t trust any of them -they’ve probably not “interviewed” anyone. Probably a few cursory telephone calls have been made – but not to the point of “formal interviews”.
    When they talk about communication you damn well know they are telling lies -based on what has gone on before.

• rowly

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:27 AM

After lee charnleys interview I’m happy that we have a good man running the club. Before him we had ridiculous appointments such as JFK and ap and now if we have to wait until summer to get the right man then so be it. If he messes it up then I take it back but he is making all the right noises. He also explained the vision of our club very well and has given me more confidence in the long term view of the club. I prefer him making the big decisions than ma and between him Carr and (hopefully) the right manager we could be onto some decent times. Also despite fans protests the patience given to Pardew will only encourage more managers to see us as an attractive proposition. Job security is a rare thing in football.

• Thump

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:27 AM

I haven’t trusted them for a long time. If we have to wait until the end of the season, I sincerely hope it’s for a manager like (Frank) De Boer.

That being said, it wouldn’t surprise me if Hoddle’s contract was up in the summer so they had to wait until them so we don’t give QPR any money.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:28 AM

2-goal – definitely right about Aarons and Perez -you can spot straightaway that they were a bit special – that is in direct contrast to others we hoped were going to make it.
    The difference is clear for all to see -well those who want to see.

• Canny in Canberra

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:30 AM

Regardless of this back stage debacle we need to get back to winning games. 17 points clear of the drop zone and 14 left to play. That ain’t safe by a long way.

• Thump

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:30 AM

@rowly: Charnley has been at the club for years, mate; he’s practically part of the furniture. More importantly, he’s also been cushied up to the big boys for some time, so I wouldn’t trust the bloke as far as I could throw him.

Having said that — and as the NUFC motto goes (that pretty much sums up Ashley’s reign of terror) — I hope he proves me wrong.

• Sgt. Heagerty

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:37 AM

It seems about twice a year like clockwork for sever years now when the shite gets to a critical level the fat man will march out a cronie to deliver some sort of speech that sounds encouraging, (of course it’s never implemented or if it is doesn’t work from a football results point) and keeps the spirits at just above suicidal on tyneside. The fans swallow their pride and do what they have done for generations,go to the Cathedral Of St James and sing to the heavens for a miracle. But last Saturday I noticed something during the match I’ve never noticed at the Hollowed ground on tyneside. Even the announcers calling the match here stateside noticed it, the crowd still packed the Holy House to the rafters but it felt like a funeral. The atmosphere was something I’ve never seen or heard before and if it was noticeable through the tv, it had to have been unbearable in person. no protests or banners that I saw, just a feeling of a man on death row whose fate is sealed. If I was Ashley I would be very worried and looking to sell because even when we were relegated, protests, sack pardew, etc i have never seen the Historical St James Park and the toon army like that before. Or maybe that’s exactly what he wants, mindless broken drones going through the turnstiles who knows. I just don’t understand why he has done this. Did a well endowed Geordie Lad take his lass for a ride when he was younger or did he get beat up by a Newcastle supporters when he was rocking a spud strip as a fat pimple faced youth. So many questions no answers, just wish he would sell up, anyone has to be better then him, even if the club was bought by someone who was broke and couldn’t afford to buy players to get us over the hump at least we would know that it was t a case of havig the money and just not wanting to spend it…. I don’t know…. Broken in Little Rock, Arkansas…. But at least I’m not a Mackem…. Hwtl

• Sgt. Heagerty

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:41 AM

Rowly,
    Read my post on “moneyball” above

• Sav

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:41 AM

Triumvirate ?? Don’t make me laugh. That’s another way of saying, when we lose a match under the new coach, there will be no-one to carry the can. Chinless is clueless. 80 candidates my arse. about 75 applications from Curbs more like.
    John Carver is calling now for a firm appointment so everyone : players, fans, coach knows where they stand and instead we get this…

• Sav

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:43 AM

This shambles will get us Championship football double quick. Your 3 million for Pards won’t seem quite such great business then.

• Sgt. Heagerty

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:48 AM

Sav,
    Very elegantly put, I like your style and agree 100%… Until we get rid of this disgrace to NUFC it’s gonna be nothing but tough days ahead… I’ve tried to have Faith in years past but like SJP last Saturday I’m resigned to my fate

• Canny in Canberra

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:56 AM

I love how everyone talks about getting rid of Ashley. Don’t get me wrong it has to happen for us to get the club we yearn for NUFC to be but pople on here talk like there is something we can do as fans to make it happen and there really isn’t. Any shananigans of boycotting SD and pies at matches or the unthinkable of not going to games will ultimately just hurt the club. Short of a hit squad but he’d still have the last laugh cos I bet he’s got ownership willed to Dennis Wise. Lol

• JDdubai

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:01 AM

Really cant see FDB coming to us, even in the summer.

Yes he talks about us as a sleeping giant(more like in a coma with this regime) but he hasnt talked to LC or MA before. I would imagine he still has this fairtytale picture of us from Sir Bobby’s time in charge, being ambitious and trying to win things.

When/If he does speak with LC he will realise he will be going nowhere coming to us, no honours, no glory.

And considering he has effectively put himself in the shop window in the summer and the amount of offers he will get, I cannot think of any reason why he will choose us over another team who will promise him a shot at the title or cups or even just Europe.

Come on Frank, ignore those CL teams wanting you to take them over, come to us. no cups, No title, definitely no Europa league, sell your best players yearly, give us 4 years of mid table safety.

Aint gonna happen.

• Santon03

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:02 AM

I rather wait for new head coach in summer with one reason only, so the new guy can bring in his own staffs. If possible hire Roeder for temporary head coach with hope that he could do another miracle again.
    With Carver, it seems that we played good football but no luck at all. Maybe Roeder is good lucky charm for us.

• Reyantoon

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:04 AM

Well,atleast we know something on what’s going on inside the club.Those interviews look good from Lee..
    But can we do good under JC for the rest of the season? Not sure, but I hope we are
    with the help of sdj, Aarons & obertan..
    I will be happy now if we finish 17th lol..

AFCON is going well and is exciting.
    All the games have been excellent so far.
    But Senegal v Ghana game was cracker,which Senegal won 2-1.Cisse have not played or even considered.Stoke striker Mame b.Djuf was in good form,may be that’s why cisse didn’t get the chance.
    But Tiote and ivory coast struggled yes’y.
    They nearly got beaten but thanks to our former target Doumbia, they snatched a 1-1 draw.Tiote played the whole 90min.Good game between Algeria and south Africa as well.No Abeid ofcourse but Algeria rallied to win 3-1 comfortably.
    Overall, anyone miss our two players?
    I personally hope they knocked out early so that they can return to our club soon.
    Because our situation is threatening,with john carver..
    The only sensible scenario at the moment is the perfect timing departure of
    El Zorro Plata…
    May be I should have gone with him lol !

on another note,the possible arrival of Garde with his own coaching staff is perfect shout.We have to change our entire coaching staff,particularly the fitness coach.He did nothing better but ruined players progress, hence ruined our season since he came here back in july.Bringing his own young players coach will also be acceptable.Surely we gonna see some difference there…
    But after reading Lee’s interview,I started dreaming Tuchel and Galtier now..
    Difficult to hold my breath till summer though.ffs!!

• Santon03

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:05 AM

JDubai

I have to agree about FDB seems to be far fetch for us especially with so many big clubs want him. The chance of getting FDB is very slim but hopefully we could get lucky.

• Santon03

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:08 AM

Whoever comes in will be able to get the best of youngsters, I like that.
    We nolonger buying excellent players but producing them.

• Santon03

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:10 AM

Imagining a lot of Geordies in England team in the future.

• Pottz

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:12 AM

Sav

Totally agree. Carver in charge till the end of the season is suicide.

His win ratio as a caretaker/ manager is 28%

Goal Diff is -23

All from 50 something games in charge.

• Pottz

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:20 AM

In fact Charnley should do Carver a favour and bring someone else in till the end of the season.

Carver is a timebomb waiting to explode under the pressure. A few more dodgy results, the more he will crack.

My prediction will be that Carver will knock someone’s lights out in the dressing room before the seasons out.

Not dissimilar to the Bellamy incident.