Former Player – Frank de Boer Perfect For Newcastle

Peter Lovenkrands knows Frank de Boer well, and when Peter mysteriously ended up at Rangers in 2000, after Newcastle manager Bobby Robson thought he was on his way to sign for Newcastle, Frank became part of the playing staff four years later for a short while from January, 2004 through the end of that season, after joining his brother Ronald at the Scottish powerhouse.

Peter Lovenkrands rangers-formerl-001

Peter Lovenkrands while at Rangers – circa 2002

In fact Ronald has told Sky Sports News that Newcastle have already contacted his brother about the head coach position at Newcastle – so maybe there’s a chance we can get him in the summer.

Peter Lovenkrands thinks Frank de Boer would be almost perfect for Newcastle, and this is what Peter has said in today’s Chronicle:

“I’ve always said that Newcastle should get Frank. Before he even answered the question about Newcastle, I said: ‘Go and get him’. He’s the right man for the job for me.”

“I know Frank and his brother Ronald and the way they work. I will be seeing Ronald tomorrow for the testimonial for Fernando Ricksen so I will have a talk with him there.”

“Frank was a leader when I was at Rangers. He was only there for half a season but he was unbelievable,  and he was management material even then.”

“The job he’s done with Ajax as well is fantastic. They are a Champions League club and he’s brought young talented players through.” “The way he plays football and adapts training sessions is great.”

“He gets young players through the system and the way he plays football and the tactics he uses is spot on.” “For a club like Newcastle will need that. He would be a perfect fit for Newcastle.”

“We want to see the young players coming through and getting a chance.” “The young ones need to be good enough.” “You need somebody who has been producing young players.”

“That’s what they do at Ajax at the training schools.” “The young players love it. They have produced young talent for decades.” “I’ve played with most of them. I think he’d be a great fit for Newcastle.

“Newcastle should make the effort to try to get him. Even though Ajax are a Champions League club and he is a high-profile coach, they should try to get him.”

Amen to that.

Frank de Boer is the favorite in our poll of who Newcastle fans want as the new head coach – but the question has to be whether Frank would be willing to put up with the many constraints that would be placed on him at Newcastle.

Would Frank be willing to let players be sold at any time if the right bid comes in for them, which Lee Charnley stated was still Newcastle’s transfer policy earlier this week, and Lee added he would never say never about selling Newcatsle players.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Reyantoon

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:27 AM

I think this charn guy has limited knowledge about football.Sometimes people say quiet guy has good knowledge inside but in Lee’s case here,it’s doubtful,
    but let’s wait and see what he does..

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Nice one, Peter. Keep fuelling his enthusiasm with good words to him and his brother.

• Reyantoon

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:32 AM

Fdb was good defender in his days, then managed a club in poor league,won titles in low standard league, nothing else.He gets to struggle when other teams tend to change their playing style.But I am afraid we will end up in him,congratulation!!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Maybe
    The powers at large are lining up De Boer to take over at Rangers ????

• nut meg

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:40 AM

Offer him some kind of involvement in the academy…..might just sway him.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Peter seems to be a bit pally with the regime and wonder if this would have anything to do with persuading people to keep on to those tickets !

• stuart no9

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Reyantoon FdB has won 3 titles with Ajax in 3 years . whats wrong with that ?

• optimistic prime

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:52 AM

JFA

Just a bit, wasn’t Peter calling the slug a great guy who he’d had a few beers with not long ago.

• AncientC

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:54 AM

I just read ‘P’s’ earlier comment about the club not being in Debt…

Isn’t it strange how ‘The Telegraph,’ ‘The BBC,’ ‘ The Guardian,’ and ‘The Financial Times’ all refer to Newcastle United F.C. as owing a debt to Mike Ashley, as opposed to a bank. (Ultimate difference, once makes their interest rates very clear, the other grabs free advertising and uses control to take other revenue streams as part of a non-transparent policy of getting their interest)

Why not take it from the horses mouth. This is from Mike Ashley’s statement in 2008, notice his usage of the word “debt.”

Mike Ashley “Like any business with assets the club has debts. I paid £134 million out of my own pocket for the club. I then poured another £110 million into the club not to pay off the debt but just to reduce it. The club is still in debt.”

“I have put Newcastle on a sound financial footing. It is reducing its debt.” (Before relegation so void)

It is perhaps best we got that cleared up, so as to avoid any confusion in the future.

• lesh

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:03 AM

AncientC

The debt is an inter-company debt – NUFC probably owes MASH Holdings the money.

• jimmysmith

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Is that the last time Ashley spoke publically about Newcastle? It’s as fascinating now as it was then. I don’t think you can categorically say he has or hasn’t been disingenuous, even after all this time. Makes you wonder if obfuscation isnt his greatest achievement.

• Reyantoon

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:04 AM

stuart – I didn’t say he won titles and has something wrong in that.He is untested in other leagues.You know how poor Dutch league is compared to other leagues.
    He won 4 Dutch league title,not 3..

• Go toon gooooo

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Frank De Boer perfect for Newcastle? Why?Because he has zero experience in the Premier League,maybe?

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Ajax hadn’t won a title in 7 years prior to the 4 years in a row I think it was.

No new managers are guaranteed to do well, but taking a chance on a former quality player and now forward thinking title winning coach is a lot better than employing someone who was sacked from, say, a League 1 club, and has a history of underachieving.

I hope De Boer does come. Pressing 433 is a favourite of mine.

• Ian Toon

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:10 AM

8Ian Toon // Jan 24, 2015 at 10:03 AM- on Communication. – previous

Jail – For those of us who do read what Peter Fanning of the NUST has to say on Ashley . “One of his main strategies seems to be buying well-known brands to stick on the shelf as though it’s the quality brand. He seems to have seen Newcastle United thinking ‘I could buy that club, use the brand.’ etc. Many of your paraphrased posts add nothing and in fact probably achieve the opposite of what your intending.
    The Fanning alternative of:
    “He’s not bothered what happens with the club not competing in the cups as long as we stay in the Premier League and he’s got the worldwide coverage he needs. His heart is in what it brings to Sports Direct rather than what it brings the club.” You get the message!

You could revert to your ” too good for ” line which did have some traction in MYHO. Introducing humour as opposed to a rant which calls for a fast forward – IMHO. You need to up your game and stop the loss of your market share of readers. Otherwise your in danger of being regarded as a dinosaur – like Catchy and RH .

Returning to the subject of Ashley – The fact is that in excess of £100m interest-free loans are on the balance sheet which ensures he gets his money back but also is likely to deter unwelcome purchasers until the timing is right for him. Newcastle’s accounts since the acquisition show a club run in pretty much the same manner as Ashley’s empire of sports shops. Lilywhites (in Leicester Square) was bought as a distressed asset along with Dunlop, Slazenger, Karrimor etc. Having bought a pair of Nike running shoes for £ 70 around three years ago in in Lilywhitesin I noticed this past week that they are now selling (post acquisition ) for £ 45. Economies of scale cutting out the middleman.

Ashley has run the toon in pretty much the same way. He has cut HO costs, reduced the wage bill, taken a business that was badly run, and made it profitable. Buying or investing in players and growing his own replacements through the academy/ development , or at least planning for the process. Abeid for Tiote!! I hear the wee small voice of Jail – and not always replacing them!

But let’s not forget that things were not always better before Ashley. There were massively profligate times with Douggie Hall and Shepherd. However, first and foremost were football fans and proud ones – whether the wages to revenue ratio has remained at a sensible level is for the accountants.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Ian Toon,
    More often than not I’m left scratching my head after reading your inane and attempted intellect, I’ve quite happily blogged for five years with my fair share of detractors and believers alike, I certainly won’t be taking advice from a guy who has to invent aliases to back himself up, claims he hears voices and is Alan Pardews number one optical fashion advisor.

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Ian, have you used Google Translate for long, or…?

• hibbit

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:26 AM

bullshit baffles brains what a load of krap were a football club

• hibbit

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:27 AM

jail i don’r know why you bother with the WUM

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:36 AM

I wonder what the reaction will be when we don’t get De Boer, and we get McLaren or someone. Even though De Boer is the ideal fit and is available.

I hope it’s massive and there’s a big backlash as it would obvious that the reason was simply money, which we have an abundance of.

• Ian Toon

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Jail- What are you currently reading?
    I don’t apologise for being well educated and I did say it was just my opinion – feel free to carry on as you are. I was trying to preserve your market share which given you spend so many hours daily on here …… Just because you endlessly repeat something doesn’t make it true! It just makes you sound like Gordon Brown and – know more boom and bust, just before the economy tanked.
    Laurent – I am not a linguist but do have some skills. You shouldn’t believe everything you read – I hope your going to be a regular blogger which will signal a return to better times for the toon. I am nervously awaiting the Hull game because I am hoping we can start picking up points. Carver in charge is cause for concern .

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:43 AM

GPLF,
    From what I gather the new coach will be picked because of his willingness to toe the line rather than ability. Unless there is a lot of concessions on our behalf I think we’ll struggle to get anyone but the managerial dregs.

• Go toon gooooo

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:49 AM

As long as I can remember Steve McLaren was stable manager of average players’ Middlesbrough team and serious manager of England National Team and one stupid ,grass’mistake by Robert Green cost him a lot.But the National Team was serious at his time.Now that is not the case.Steve McLaren is not a bad manager.Frank De Boer is huge risk in this relegation fight situation because he has zero experience here and that guarantees nothing.That was proven with Alan Shearer.Newcastle United vs Peterborouh United-not again.

• IrishGeordie9

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Maybe de boer is using us to try and get bigger clubs to go after him quicker? Barca perhaps?…

Just a thought.

• JAMSHA(CARVER SLAYER)

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:50 AM

LOVER BOY AS ASSISTANT FOR DE BOER

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Ian Toon,
    Don Quixote by a guy called Cervantes. Have you heard of him ?

• beermonkey

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:54 AM

I don’t see why deboer cant do well for us chances are he could do better for Ashley

Thomas Vermaelen Arsenal
    Luis Suarez Liverpool
    Jan Vertonghen Tottenham
    Vernon anita Newcastle
    Christian Eriksen Tottenham
    Toby Alderweireld Southampton
    Siem de Jong Newcastle

that lot from one club have come to the prem and all done well so I think deboer can coach players to prem standard he will also be able to get our academy run better
    won the league where he is and sprung the odd surprise in the champions league against barca and city

looks to be a great fit for us and even if it pans out that he isn’t I bet were in a lot better shape when he leaves from an academy and youth point of view

does the club want him time will we all know we can afford him

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Go toon,
    You simply cannot compare a guy who has won four titles in management and has managed in the CL to a guy who managed eight ill fated games in the PL just because neither had previous PL experience.

• Ian Toon

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Wasn’t it the “Wally with the brolly”. Tactically McLaren would tick all the boxes. But the chemistry with Ashley! He also is currently doing well in the Championship – Nottm F aside- Why leave a harmonious environment for a vipers nest.!

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Irish, that may well be the case. Nobody will know until the end of the season though.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:59 AM

That’s a good book (but it was a bit long)

…always end up not having the time when I read long book (ends up being a burden)

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:02 AM

The Club Dumas by Reverte is a great book…

…maybe you have seen the movie based on the book (the ninth gate)

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Who is it that is actually going to sit this new manager down and say to him you will have no final say in transfers and you have to trust us in finding replacements. He’s immediately going to say “like Alan Pardew did, look at the sh1t he got, thanks but….”

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Beermonkey…there are a few current players at Ajax I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on as well…

…wouldn’t be a bad appointment if possible

• jimmysmith

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:11 AM

“The Club Dumas”, never heard of it. Have heard of “The Three Muskateers” by Alexander Dumas though. Or as our American friends would say, Alexander Dumbass.

• Ian Toon

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Jail – I know the restaurant in Kingsway – used to get student discount there. I got a number of books for Christmas and currently reading Private Island – James Meek – why Britain belongs to someone else.
    Not dissimilar from Ashley takeover of NUFC and the implications for fans and us all.
    I am into biographies and the Churchill Factor from your mate Boris.

• beermonkey

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:13 AM

jesper

he has lost 4 5 players each season and maybe replaced one
    who would you take I just had a quick look no names I recognise

jail makes a good point but as long as all is laid out and both sides know where they stand and there is some leeway on each side there is no reason why some1 wont take the job

pardew was in such a weak position it wont be like this (I hope ) with the new appointment

• Fostino

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:14 AM

I just read in a comment below that siem De Jong and Anita have done well in the premier league. I find that very hard to believe. I think siem has managed only half a game and Anita is marvelous for passing short square balls and chasing shadows…i shudder when I see his name on the team sheet. ..A very average player who’s not capable of moving play forward. I would love to see a statistic with the amount of games we’ve won with him starting. ..i bet you any money it will make for dire reading…Both have Defently not done well so far.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Ian,
    Will you be recommending some books to Mr Pardew, I bet he likes nothing better to sit with a book in his hand to bring the best out of those fashion glasses.

• lesh

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Gawd lummy, we’ve a real literary circle for our delectation today.

It beats Radio 4 which I’ve switched off!

What time does the Blog’s version of A Book at Bedtime start?