I Know Newcastle Fans Expect A Lot From Me

Newcastle have 16 games to play this season – about a game each weekend, and one of the things we are looking forward to is seeing Siem de Jong play for Newcastle, and he should be available for the first team in a few weeks time.

siem de jong - good shot of him in training

Good shot of Siem de Jong in training

We signed Siem from Ajax in the summer for £6M, and he’s not only a good footballer but also a leader both on and off the field, so he’s probably a future Newcastle captain.

The 25-year-old looked good in pre-season, but has only made two substitute appearances for Newcastle so far this season.

This is what Siem had to say about his long term injury:

“It’s a big difference to me just being able to train with the group,” “It feels good. I still have to get more training sessions and some minutes with the U-21s in the coming weeks.

“I need to get up to full strength – especially if I want to play long parts of a game.”  “I need some conditioning work but also games.”

“So it’s probably going to be a couple of games with the U-21s – but also just training sessions, 11 against 11 and those kinds of things.”

“It’s been a long recovery. After the operation I was out for six weeks but after that I started back pretty quick and trained for two-and-a-half months by myself, so it’s been a long time.”

“It’s difficult sometimes because you’re not really in the group and you’re not really with the team, but most of the time I was at the Training Center so I’d see the guys a lot and still felt part of the team.”

“But it difficult when you’ve just come here and you’re out for such a long time, so I’m glad to be back training.” “I can understand that people expect quite a lot from you when you arrive as a new player and then you get injured for four months.”

“So of course I want to be back in the team as soon as possible.” “But I have to be a little bit sensible about it,” “It’s always nice to have a little pressure. In games where you have pressure, I think you can do a little extra.”

“I’ve been important in the past in important games so I hope to be here too – but first I just want to get back into the game and start playing again.”

Siem’s right that a lot is expected of him, but he’s played at the highest level in the Champions league with Ajax, so he shouldn’t need too much time to adjust to the Premier League – hopefully.

And who knows next season we have his former manager Frank de Boer at Newcastle as our new head coach.

Hope so.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• dazzler

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:01 PM

We could really use this kid meeting/exceeding the expectations of JC / Pardew when he’s finally fully fit.

• MacToon

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:06 PM

You have to cancel season tickets by the 3rd of February. Paying by direct debit means that this season is already covered and paid for.
    It is also being said that NUFC can’t really hold you to a deal for a service or product you haven’t yet received. But be safe and cancel before the club’s dead-line to avoid any pleasantries.

• Markaccus

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Daz

Agreed. Having said that, what do you reckon the best system would be to fit him in?

• MacToon

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:07 PM

lol unpleasantries*

• Markaccus

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:11 PM

I am thinking of….

Rb Cb Cb Lb
    ……..DMF
    ..Sko……SdJ
    Pez..Ciss..arns

I left names out in def and at DMF because its not relevant to the question, and also those places are very debatable 😀

• Markaccus

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Mactoon

You were right the first time, i am sure we should avoid any pleasantries 😀

Its how Mash would want it!

• dazzler

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Mark it’s hard to say all I’ve ever seen of him was in Pardews god awful 4231 and he was pants.

I think maybe as part of a front three in the middle with cabella and perez, or as a withdrawn striker in a 442 / 4411. But without seeing him play a few matches it’s impossible to say really.

• Sazzer

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Hull City have failed in an ambitious bid to sign Alexandre Pato on loan. Pato’s wages of around £60,000 a week were stumbling block.

• geordie157

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:14 PM

Something like this when de jong is ready to start

Krul
    Janmaat, Colo, dummett, santon
    Sissoko, abeid
    Cabella, de jong, Aarons
    Perez

As Aarons isn’t fit maybe Sammy, riviere or gouffran to start. Obertan isn’t far off either so finally some competition for places

• geordie157

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:15 PM

I left out colback but think in sissoko and abeid that’s two box to box powerhouses in the middle if carver gives them license to get forward

• Markaccus

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Daz/G157

Ah well. Lots of differing thoughts there. Lets just hope Carver has some clue as to how to use him best. I am not optomistic as it stands.

• hibbit

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:22 PM

pedro or peter the the great is one of few world class players newcastle have had there books a truly great player BUT a very poor coach no better then carver

• dazzler

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:27 PM

Sazzer,

60,000 isn’t that great amount compared to some others in the EPL. Whatever happened to Pato, at one point he was the next big thing?

• Sazzer

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:38 PM

It depends not compared with top player
    wages these days. I think we paid 80.000 with Remy. Or at least that was his reported wage at QPR.

• Gerard Depardew

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Zut Alors…..

C’est juste comme having un nouvel signing, n’est pas?

• BeeGuy

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:03 PM

Let’s hope in the rehab he has put on some muscle to give him the strength to bang about with the big boys. Or at least to not breakdown if overworked by JC (which I hope is a thing of the past with AP gone).

• sickandtired

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:15 PM

FDB here next season? Come on guys, I expect better from this Blog. No way on earth a manager at the top of his game and highly thought of is going to waste that by joining the Ashley/Charnely circus where he has no input at all.

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:38 PM

Ouis ouis Gerard Depardew. Allez nous au le pub!

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:42 PM

Can we please get serious about planning for the last 16 games? Harrumph. There’s a lot of work to do lads. We’ve got to sharpen up Willo’s attacking skills on set pieces. We’ve got to arrange an empty goal for Riviere to shoot at. We’ve got to dig trenches and put in machine gun nests around our goal. Come on lads, get to work!!!

• fray bentos

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:44 PM

How is wanting a geordie manager xenophobic?

Newcastle United is a Geordie club is it not? therefore there is no reason why someone shouldn’t want that, i mean you could argue what’s the point of supporting a team if it has no relevance to the place it’s from

Now I don’t think there are any geordie managers currently fit for the job but the desire to want one is by no means xenophobic, having said, that the more geordie players, the better in my opinion

• Average_Contents

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:47 PM

What’s happening to the blog? The last article has been deleted! Is this thread still active? Anyone?

• Average_Contents

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:48 PM

It came up with that “404 error” Wtf?

• awaydays

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:48 PM

What happened to the other thread ?

• Average_Contents

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Even above it doesn’t say next article whereas it usually would. Loads of comments on it too. Hello lol.

• Average_Contents

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:50 PM

Awayday

I thought I was going mad! Or been barred or something lol.

• Average_Contents

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Here’s the newest thread but it can’t be accessed. It’s like it’s been taken down by ed. You get threatened ed lol. Be nice to know know.

• Tsunki

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Gérard – ah mais est-il encore dans le bâtiment?

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:53 PM

AC mate I was just building up a nice train of thought on that thread and away it went. Very odd. Now where was I? Harrumph!!!

• Tsunki

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:54 PM

What was the last article? I take it it wasn’t the one with blobby Quinn in it?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Well if that’s the case I better pack my suitcase and leave… 😉

…should it really matter where the coach is from in this day and age? Isn’t it about getting the right man for the job regardless of where you are from?

If not xenophobia might be the problem!

• Tsunki

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Was somebody trading in illicit budgies for the kitchen trade? I’d really like to know…

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:56 PM

We’re also approaching Hannibal Lecter to be our next Head of Public Relations.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:57 PM

illicit budgies? That most be a job for GT

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Imagine him being wheeled up to the microphone with that mask on to announce that Sissoko had been sold. 😯

• Tsunki

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Or maybe Ed max’d out on his thong reference allowance. I told you G2 but you just wouldn’t listen.

• Average_Contents

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Tsunki

No lol. It was about two young Spanish lads we are apparently close to signing then loaning back to their respective teams, sporting gijon and racing santander.

Perhaps ed got threatened by the club to take it down like the papers got threatened for printing/producing rumours? Would anyone be surprised lol.

G2

• optimistic prime

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:59 PM

M’biwa has aparantly left permanently today, does this mean we’ll get that CB we’ve needed for around 5 years?

Haha my ar5e

• Tsunki

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:59 PM

G2 – you’d need a pretty heavy duty sack truck to wheel that lad out on though.

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:00 PM

I’ve also got some advance copies of Mike Ashley’s new book How to Make Millions Out of Football Without Ever Spending a Penny. Fascinating reading I’m sure. Anyone want one?