Senegal Eliminated – Newcastle Striker On Way Home

Algeria beat Senegal 2-0 tonight to qualify from Group C for the knockout rounds of the African Cup of Nations,  and with one win, one draw and one defeat, Senegal finish in 3rd place.

papiss cisse senegal

Papiss Cisse in Senegal colors

That means they don’t qualify for the knockout rounds so Papiss Cisse will be on his way back home,  and hopefully the 29 year-old will be able to play for us on Saturday at Hull City.

Papiss played his first minutes tonight in the competition when he came on as a substitute after 54 minutes, but couldn’t do anything to help his country.

Goals from Mahrez after 11 minutes and Bentaleb after 82 minute gave Algeria the win.

Cisse has been in good goal-scoring form for Newcastle this season, and has 9 goals in 14 appearances and his last appearance for Newcastle was the last time we won – in Alan Pardew’s last game in charge of Newcastle  – the 3-2 home win against Everton in late December.

Papiss has scored 39 goals in 99 appearances for Newcastle in the three years he’s been on Tyneside, since joining us from SC Freiburg for around £9M.

We need his goals to help us get a win at Hull on Saturday.

In Group D all four teams have drawn their two games games so far and are level on 2 points each with a zero goal difference.

The Ivory Coast and Cheick Tiote take on Cameroon tomorrow night in Group D, and a defeat would see them out of the tournament.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• optimistic prime

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:54 PM

Can’t see why he can’t be back in time for sat?

• beermonkey

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:55 PM

I think this counts as good news

• Sazzer

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:56 PM

McClaren lost against Tuchel while in Germany. Despite having Dzeko and Mandzuckic as his strikers.

• Sazzer

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Wolfsburg finished in 15th place that season and Mainz in 5th.

Wolfsburg finished higher than Mainz season before that.

• Brutooon

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:02 AM

Even if he is back, still keep him as impact sub.

His first touch is horrible and he always give the ball to the opposition

• Sazzer

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:03 AM

And Wolfsburg won Bundesliga the year before that.

• Jeff from Benwell

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Obviously Steve Gibson is the main architect but McLaren was the driving force behind its most successful period

• Moonraker15

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:06 AM

He’ll probably be injured! By the way what’s the latest on Aaron’s ? The futile win against Man City was very costly! It must’ve been one heck of snow effort playing 45 mins ! Ha what a joke and all for no avail !!

• awaydays

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:12 AM

This is ashleys version of a signing cisse coming home early haha

• Our Toon

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:15 AM

This is good news, think it’s quite sad fans berate the lad because of his lack of ability outside the box (unless he’s scoring a worldy) in the time he’s been away can someone tell me just how many goals we’ve scored?

• BoyDoneGood

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:18 AM

See previous thread:

Wolfsburg/Maclaren lost the home match to Mainz/Tuchel early in the season. Mainz/Tuchel lost at home to Wolfsburg/Maclaren on Jan 11. Dzeko was sold to Man City on Jan 7th. Maclaren was sacked in Feb. Wolfsburg continued to tumble. A few late results saved them from relegation. Maclaren’s 47% win rate includes Wolfsburg – i.e. the poor seasons and the good all contribute to the %.

• BoyDoneGood

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:34 AM

[Mandzuckic played only 15 matches that season, and never scored under Maclaren. Only after Dzeko left was he played as main striker, and his goals (under Felix Magath) probably kept Wolfsburg up – just. Blame the player or the coach? Who knows. Personalities matter – remember Gullit and Shearer…]

• Sazzer

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:41 AM

Fair enough Boy. I only found 1 game with Tuchel.

Can you get McClarens results againts De Boer?

Twente finished 6th and De Boer won the league.

De Boer stats in Europe are only around 29 % but in league 66 %.

• Sazzer

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:48 AM

Both Garde vs De Boer games ended 0-0.

• Our Toon

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:48 AM

Do the stats really matter that much? The premier league is a tough place to manage, look at big Phil scolari and Ancellotti, look at Christian Gross, Ole Gunnar Solksjaer. Probably many more I could add to that list, bottom line is we need a young and upcoming manager who is open to new ideas and understands the new modern way rather than a relic

• Dulcinera

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:49 AM

hate to say but i tod you so

• Canny in Canberra

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:19 AM

Our Toon
    Sadly what we need doesn’t exist.
    Some one who can work within the limits set by our regime and basically turn scraps into a 3 course meal.

• expatmag

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:04 AM

Canny

What we need is impossible at present.

Ashley to piss off

• biganita

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:46 AM

The longer we wait for a manger the more disappointed we’re likely to get. We’ll be expecting Garde or De Boer and get Mcclaren or some league 1 manager. http://www.thewrittenlyre.com/the-lyre/john-carver-as-caretaker

• Canny in Canberra

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:20 AM

Pat – Not impossible just very unlikely.
    Maybe if we had an idea of his agenda we could perceive how long we will have to put up with this but that is only known to the big man himself we’ve really just got to ride it out or start making serious, viable plans to bring about his demise!!In a football sense, not talking about bumping the dude off here.

• Sgt. Heagerty

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:44 AM

I find it interesting that cisse didn’t have a sniff of the pitch down in Africa when there was talk of him leaving the toon and then when all the doors seemed to close on him he plays tonight…. Maybe being a newcastle supporter for over a decade has left me truly jaded and paranoid but it seems to me that when he thought he might be sold he prob didn’t wanna risk injury and then when he saw he wasn’t gonna make enough money for Ashley to get sold he decided to play…. So tired of the fat man and the “can’t win” mafia… Only billionaire I know who wouldn’t want to at least try to win for prides sake. No matter what I do be it playing play station or board games with my son I wanna win but this piece of trash just seems to want destroy newcastle united and the toon army’s spirit and make fat stacks in the process…Ashley out there is no plan other then to keep killing the club and making money we will never be the club we were and should be until he is gone!!!!

• Our Toon

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:06 AM

Sgt Heagerty

Do you really think Cisse has the power to pick and choose when he can play for Senegal? There manager will probably now get the sack. I think you are being disingenuous toward the player and toward Senegal as a nation, they needed to win today that’s why Cisse played

• Reyantoon

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:18 AM

So Mbiwa gone, wish him well there,he never settled inside our team.We get very good fee on him though.But it will be awesome if we able to replace him now.I said “if we able”
    because I am not sure how 25 man squad registration works.And If u want someone in,u have to kick someone out..

Now,we are trying to sign some promising youngsters.Sign of ambition is still there.
    Remember we were following Arsenal’s model in recruiting players since 2011.
    (buy talented potential players on cheap)
    and it’s still working well..
    So why the hell we still interested in British mgrs(McLaren)?
    Haven’t we told they are not looking for local mgrs but foreigners ,who are able to work & develop the youngsters?
    I mean this is big opportunity for Mike and co. to show that they still love this football club and still wants to take the club to the next level.so why one step forward one step back? Excellent continental mgrs are still out there who able to work with our youngsters as well as the possible incomers.This is huge opportunity to slot the right man.why trying to mess it up?.I still don’t get what the hell Lee doing and thinking??
    B/c we have seen that we’ll never progress under British-based manager..

• Sgt. Heagerty

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:25 AM

Our toon, you made my point for me, “they needed a win today that’s why they played him”….. So they didn’t need a win the other two games and if he is the guy they go to in a do or die match shouldn’t he have played prior to that if not to win but to at less stay on form.

Furthermore I’m not saying anything about senagal to be disrespectful or anything like that, stars have Power in alot of international squads especially weaker sides… Cisse is in form and I would wager the best striker they have and he played a grand total of 37 minutes????

Now I could be wrong and if so I apologize to anyone I offended but with NUFC where it is today nothing is unbelievable or Inpossjble save for us winning anything under this regime

• Sgt. Heagerty

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:28 AM

Players have all kinds of away and power over their international clubs, there is no contract, if they don’t wanna play they don’t play. That comment you made our toon doesn’t hold water, none of it. Now I’m not saying that I’m def right cuz I could most certainly be wrong on this cisse thing but your defense of him and senagal was not sound at all mate, no disrespect, other then you accusing me of everything short of attacking senagal personally as a nation!!! Lol

• Canny in Canberra

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:29 AM

Reyan

“Still Love” that would imply that they did at some point which there is no evidence to support except the promising spiel they gave on first taking over that all came to nothing. Those excellent foreign managers wouldn’t be able to work there magic under the conditions at our club. Actually lets scap the hunt for a manager and find us a magician. What’s Copperfield up to these days? If he can vanish the statue of liberty he’ll make short work of MA and crew!1

• Sgt. Heagerty

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:34 AM

Our toon,

The more times a read your comment the more it slightly aggravates me, you act like things like this haven’t happened before… You assume I don’t like cisse… You would be wrong on both counts… Cisse is world class and unplayable when healthy and on form. I don’t want to lose cisse by any means unless he doesn’t want to be here. I would rather be relegated with lads who fought tooth and nail for the black and white then linger mid table with a few premodanas that don’t want to be here and don’t respect the shirt and the club. Sissoko is another of my favorite players and again he is world class but if he doesn’t wanna be here ship em out for a crazy fee or for nothing doesn’t matter the money won’t go back into club either way… I through a possible scenario out there and admitted it was simply possible and you made me out to be someone who hates senagal or something. Get real!!!!

• Reyantoon

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:59 AM

canny
    I hope u don’t mind if I ask u r “she” ?
    I’m not sure I understand what u mean there but…
    I know what u mean regarding the regime that runs nu ATM.But if they show that kind of ambition, signing promising youngs,looking for continental mgrs,developing new training complex,expanding youth academy etc etc
    Then why going back? appointing British mgrs is like going steps back.Like I said, with local mgrs,we will not progress..
    and change will never come…

• expatmag

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:13 AM

Canny

Send him to North Korea pet. He would be a natural successor to their fat boy

• Reyantoon

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:19 AM

Ha ha ha…

• Reyantoon

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:24 AM

If we’re going to appoint British mgrs like Bruce,Hoddle,McLaren etc..
    I’m done,good luck to you guys!!

• Canny in Canberra

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:35 AM

Reyan
    Don’t mind at all, Yes it is She :). Not sure how the David Copperfield (Magician Reference) gave that away and it’s been common knowledge for a while now.
    Hoddle I would be happy with. England side never looked better than at France 98. Even after Beckham was sent off the cheating Argies struggled to get the better of us. I read Hodds book about that whole episode not a bad read. Stick it out till end of the season Reyan there’s surprises in store I just know it.

• Reyantoon

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:08 AM

Canny
    How is the grand tennis going there?
    I like it a lot,esp the grand slams like Australia open,Wimbledon etc..
    I see it is going well in Australia ATM.Roger and Nadal were hammered early on
    Novak is my favorite player and I expect him to win again for the 5th time.It’s very exciting to watch grand slam tennis.
    Your country Australia advanced to Asia cup final as well.U must be excited. I expect Aus to win but will not be easy,agt s.Korea who never conceed a single goal lately in the tournament..

• 70TWO

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:09 AM

I have been known to suggest this method of defending the goal, as it removes the guiding element of a wall (10 yards). I wonder how well it would work long term and also against corners?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:16 AM

Cisse didn’t play much at AFCON, firstly because Diouf is their number 1 striker. The team isn’t good enough to rely on an out and out poacher, so Diouf and N’Doye are the preferred partnership. The younger pair are being given the chance to shine as Ba and Cisse are being moved to the sidelines.

Secondly, he isn’t fully fit, as we have seen all season, and would not have been able to play all the time. He wasn’t needed in the opening game as they beat Ghana, maybe he could have come on against South Africa, but they had started with Sow and Diouf that game, so he brought on N’doye who he prefers.

He played in the final match as a final throw of the dice by Giresse, but did very little that would have made anybody think Giresse was wrong not to play him. No conspiracy at all.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:54 AM

Someone was talking about Pardew’s win percentage last night and comparing him to SBR (44%) and KK (43%) – regardless of win percentage that comparison should never be made.

Now that we got that clear lets just add that Pardew’s win percentage before him went to Palace was something like 37% and not 43% as mentioned last night.

If we disregard the season we finish 5th it would be 33% 😉

• Marty-Toon

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:57 AM

It’s like we can’t even get excited by Saturday coming up anymore.
    I don’t expect the best anymore when it comes to the club playing games.
    I used to at least think,oh it’d be great to beat them and think if we won those next three then we’d be only a few points behind the leading group and could attack them.
    Now we just get to think that “can we steal a point there and avoid a drubbing there”
    Pathetic really.
    Great that we can buy these young lads of top quality for the future but the team is so lacking right now.
    Of course it’d help if Obertan,Abeid and de Jong had been fit this year and we’d have been a different team.

• Reyantoon

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:03 AM

Lil
    Senegal were brilliant in their opening game agt Ghana,but couldn’t retain their momentum.I am not sure cisse had been their saviour had he played him but the likes of Djuf and sow look better than him in terms of pace and fitness.
    I don’t mind if cisse sold to china or Swansea but his coming back is good for nu in the hunt for survival along with Tiote
    If bigger clubs come after sissoko in the final moments of the transfer window, we will be in big trouble as we will not have much time for replacement just like the case with cabaye..
    I am not too confident on JC but I accept JC to be given chance now,no choice but like I said if they come after one of our key players,he is doomed!!

• firebug666

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:06 AM

jesper

Win percentages mean nothing really, it’s the dross defensive football, wrong formations losses in the derbies, the amount of 3+ nil defeats. Poor coaching, poor management. In other words it’s what we watch on the pitch.

Morning marra, hows the missus and the bump?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:21 AM

firebug…I just wanted to achieve two things:

1) make the point Pardew is not in the same league as SBR and KK