Lee Charnley On The Phone All The Time With John Carver

In any other club it would be a little strange that the new caretaker manager in charge of the club for the rest of the season, has not talked once to the owner, but at Newcastle, it’s almost par for the course and hardly surprising that John Carver has not talked to Mike Ashley, and doesn’t expect to do so anytime soon.

Mike Ashley at Stoke

Mike Ashley – no dialogue with John Carver

But the good news is that it seems John has had many conversations with Managing Director Lee Charnley, who he reports to – so that’s good.

I’ll not belabor the point but good communications is vital in any organization.

This is what John Carver told the press yesterday:

“I’ve definitely not had a conversation with Mike – that is 100%. There is no need for me to have a conversation with Mike because Mike entrusted in Lee to make the conversation.”

“What I have had is more conversations with Lee Charnley than I have with any of my family. He is on the phone every minute of the day talking about other types of issues. There is a good dialogue, good communication and I am happy with that.”

“I was a little bit frustrated and you could tell. But when he actually said it to me (you have the job for the rest of the season), the relief was ‘Thank goodness because now the players can really get focused’.”

“There are going to be people out there who are going to have a go at me and they are entitled to that. But when you get to know me and you see me working on the training ground and you understand what I’m all about, then you’ll understand.”

Of course Mike Ashley is very busy doing stuff with Rangers at the moment, and the only problem is that nobody really knows exactly what he’s up to.

And in particular, what is his end game with Rangers FC, and how could that affect his ownership of Newcastle United?

Picky, picky.

Is it just me  – or does John Carver seem to treat most press interviews as a (potential) job interview for the head coach position st Newcastle?

And if John is really creating  a good working relationship with Lee Charnley and Graham Carr as the triumvirate that runs Newcastle, he will have a much better chance of getting the job permanently in the summer.

But results take precedence over everything else, and John must start getting some wins on the board, starting at Hull City this afternoon.

Howay The Lads!!

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Slank

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:22 AM

If the club was owned by a consortium or a family (like the Arabs) would the manager be talking to them every day ? Of course not.

Palace have four owners. Can’t see Pardew ringing all of them everyday.

Owners of clubs entrust the management of their asset to a CEO. Newcastle are no different to virtually all the other Premiership clubs.

• firebug666

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Slank

All true mate, but you would expect Ashley to give Carver a call to congratulate him on his appointment and wish him luck.

But then again civility, good manners and decorum just don’t seem to fit with Ashley’s profile.

• JAMSHA(CARVER SLAYER)

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:33 AM

australia playng so well…i want ange postecoglou insted of this shlthead carver

• Mister Tuff

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:35 AM

slank – you mention aspiration. There is no aspiration to win anything at the Toon these days.
    In years gone by fans hoped they would win things – they aspired to win things.
    One thing I’ve learnt in life is to never ever take hope away from people.
    Since first going to SJP in the early 60’s up to today there have been lots of disappointments – but there was hope we could win something -however unrealistic that may sound.

• stuart no9

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:40 AM

”“I have got an opportunity here that millions of people would love to have. And I have got it because of what people think of me – people who have worked with me, people who have played with me and understand me. And all those people who say all the nice things I listen to.”——–no you havnt carver , you got the job because your cheap and will not rock the boat – stop kidding yourself.

• Average_Contents

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:43 AM

So the club not striving to win something is good for the fans because it doesn’t set them up for disappointment? No, just NO.

And the people who have decided to make some sort of stand against the fat slug by not turning up are a disgrace? I beg to differ.

They are quite possibly two of the most idiotic statements I’ve ever had the displeasure to read. Anywhere. Ever.

• lesh

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:44 AM

So Charnley’s never off the phone to Carver? Has Charnley got nowt better to do – like arranging incoming transfers?

Of course it all depends on who’s ringing whom. Judging by Carver’s cringe-worthy canvassing of his credentials for the Head Coach role, I suspect it’s Carver calling Charnley and reporting the minutiae of what he’s doing or had planned, seeking agreement to go ahead. If that is the case and Charnley’s taking all those calls, then has Charnley nothing better to do. As MD, he really ought to be telling Carver to get on with things and not bother him.

Meanwhile, while Charnley’s lovey-doveying with Carver, young Dele Alli’s liable to go elsewhere and the fact that we desperately need CB and striker is not being given the attention it should have.

And, if Ashley was interested in taking the Club forward, he ought to be telling Charnley to make better use of his time. If Charnley thinks he’s got nothing better to do than have a telephone love-in with Carver, the owner should be looking for a replacement Chief Exec – or does the current mess suit his purposes? Probably.

Now if we are relegated, then responsibility must lay four-square with Ashley and if there’s a need to inject cash into the Club, it should be gifted from Ashley. Adding more debt onto the Club would be morally unacceptable as it would be the result of his own irresponsibility and negligence.

• stuart no9

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Mister T —– exactly .. If theres no hope , then why bother ?? i really dont understand 50,000 people going to a game , WHY .. what are they expecting ? coz it aint going to happen ! weird 50,000 people must go just because they want to watch a game of football REGARDLESS who wins

• stuart no9

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:47 AM

the reasson why ashly is still here is because of those fans who still attend every game NOT because of the fans who decided to stay away , we are not his customers.

• ToonMatt

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:56 AM

Stuart no9 Spot on mate, People need to stay away if they don’t this fat, greedy pig will never leave.

• wishful thinker

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Charny to caver… ok as you cant read an idiots guide to football chapter one… would that be why he is on the phone all the time i wonder???

• firebug666

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:05 AM

stuart no9 & ToonMatt

I agree whole heartedly but the problem is for every fan that gives up a ticket and stays away, there are three more who have never been to the hallowed ground ready to snap it up.

It’s unfortunate but true hence 50,000 + turning up every home game.

• lochinvar

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:15 AM

If I had a boss who constantly hassled me on the phone and didn’t let me do the job I was paid for I would be well p*ssed.
    That reeks of people in ivory towers who have never worked at the coal face telling miners how to dig. Doesn’t work. Never did, never will.

• wynsleap

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Quite frankly Carver’s interviews are becoming toe curlingly embarrassing. He may as well crawl on his knees to the management, put both hands together and beg for the job.
    Has the man got no dignity?
    There again neither did Pardew so he probably knows it makes no difference to the situation here and is actually a plus point. We may as well accept he’s going to get the job in the summer.
    I hope we lose every game this season and escape relegation by the skin of our teeth thus giving Ashley heart palpitations for a few weeks. Let’s see if they’d have the cojones to give the job to our creeping Geordie genius then.