It was a game today when Newcastle definitely needed all 3 points – and we got them. In the second half the lads even made it look fairly easy, and 3-0 was our biggest win of the season – so far – and it was the second successive time we have won the game by three goals at Hull City’s KC Stadium.
Remy Cabella – terrific goal from Cabella today
From our Man of the Match poll, here are the top five Newcastle players today.
- Remy Cabella – 49% – has been given starts since John Carver took over coaching the side, and we are finally starting to see the man we signed from Montpellier – it always takes a while to settle down in English football. It was a great goal from Cabella just before the break – his very first for Newcastle – and he was barged off the ball got up (he’s been told to do that by the coaches) and he won the ball back moved to his left a little, but at lightening speed, and then rifled the ball into the back of the net with his left foot – a great goal from Remy.
That will now give him the confidence to hopefully keep scoring goals for us – and the Newcastle fans have remained right behind the 24 year-old.
- Massadio Haidara – 21% – the young Frenchman had another very good game for Newcastle today, and he was good both defensively and on the attack, and put some very good crosses in, One of them saw Ayoze Perez get his head to the ball, but it went straight at the goalkeeper. This lad is starting to look like a good player for Newcastle, since he was signed two years ago – and he’s only just turned 22. He will keep his place next week against Stoke City on this performance.
- Vurnon Anita – 13% – as we mentioned in our article when the team was announced today, we expected Mehdi Abeid to be in the starting line-up in defensive midfield, because Vurnon has not been in good form much this season. Well, the 25 year-old Dutchman worked his socks off today for the side – and even managed to head the ball off the line after a wild Fab Coloccini attempted clearance.
Vurnon worked well in central midfield with Jack Colback. It’s hard to see why he wouldn’t keep his starting position ar home to Stoke next Sunday.
- Ayoze Perez – 6% – it looked like Ayoze had a fairly quiet game today – but he still went close two or three times, and with a little bit of luck could have scored when it didn’t look like he even had a chance. This youngster continues to improve, and with Papiss Cisse coming back and playing the last eight minutes today, it wouldn’t surprise us too much if John Carver starts to play a 4-4-2 formation at home with Perez and Cisse up front.
- Sammy Ameobi – 3% – if somebody like Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi had scored the goal that Sammy scored after 50 minutes today, it would have been shown around the world – it was a magnificent strike. I swear I was getting sea-sick watching the ball go in as it moved around in the air – up and down. I was a goalkeeper when I was young – many moons ago – and the ball never moved around like that. Sammy had a decent game today but we all know he has the class and skills galore, and now he needs to get that consistency into his game, and if he can do that, he should earn a new deal at his home town club.
With so many players returning from injury, the subs bench looked strong today – and we should soon have Siem de Jong back and Rolando Aarons fit again, and they will both be looking for a starting position on the team.
Let’s hope we can make it two wins in a row against Stoke a week tomorrow.
You can see the poll results here.
Howay The Lads!!
You can follow us on our three social media sites below: