Santon Joins Inter-Milan – Thanks Newcastle Fans

The 24 year-old Italian International defender Davide Santon has just confirmed on his Facebook page that he is set to leave Newcastle to join Inter-Milan, on loan for the rest of the season.

Davide Santon Southampton+v+Newcastle+United+97Tej-dCIU_l

Davide Santon – moving to Inter

Santon has just said this on his Facebook page, with the defender having traveled to Italy yesterday to have his medical:

“Life is strange… I never expected to return,”

“Thanks Newcastle and thanks to all the fans for these 3 and a half years together… we’ve spent many good times…. This city and this team will always remain in my heart.”

“I start a new adventure…. I’m happy to return to Inter… There I started my career and there I lived so many important moments…. I will give my best to repay the faith.”

As we reported earlier today the deal is for an initial loan spell with the move likely to be made permanent in the summer.

But notice that Davide doesn’t even mention a loan deal,  with the expectation that he has already played his last game for Newcastle in the 1-0 defeat at Leicester in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

Davide played 94 times for Newcastle with one goal.

Santon’s contract runs out in the summer of next year when he would become a free agent, and could leave for nothing – so this is the Newcastle clearing house in action.

Nothing official on this from Newcastle yet.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Sazzer

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:48 AM

Soccer sauce
    Understand that #NUFC are working on a number of defensive targets today

and everyone goes yeah right…I’m Newcastle fan so just like the club I’m not buying anything on deadline day.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:51 AM

That’s what I can’t understand this incentive scheme, how can a manager/ coach be happy relying on a bonus scheme when you have players sold and not replaced, MYM and now Santon have gone on deadline day. This is not coincidence.

• Slank

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Our Toon

‘..He should be first choice LB..’

I think your view may be in the minority.

• Our Toon

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Ahh yes working on defensive targets, doesn’t say whether that’s incoming or outgoing

• beermonkey

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:52 AM

slank

I agree but as it stands now if he goes we have no1 available in the squad that has played there

satka has played there but is he ready for the prem

if we pick up an injury to willo colo or dummet and then lose one of the fullbacks for a week or 2 who is there to fill in

I know the club want to get rid as next season he is out of contract but to do it now makes no sense its only to save a few quid in wages

• the white tino

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Need to do everything in our power to get rid of the slug from this club yet more evidence today of running the club on empty!!! And can someone tell me what teams we can actually compete with in the transfer market cos I don’t think there’s any in premier league sad but true because of one man the slug

• Our Toon

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Slank

Quite possibly mate, however time will reveal all, I remember when people thought Dummett was better yet he was found out after a run in the team. For me it’s very close between Haidara and Santon for the LB position!! Or was anyway

• Reyantoon

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Yeah me too,like I said it though, the papers are trying to make false stories!

• JAMSHA(CARVER SLAYER)

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:55 AM

FAT man will sell every player if a big bid comes today..so he can make a big profit… an then take the the PL money n summer n sell us

• Slank

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Jail

MYM couldn’t hack it in the Premiership. He admitted it. His transfer was a win-win situation for him and the club.

Santon who to his credit has not as far as I can tell come out with the old ‘Champions League’ card like so many Frenchmen is returning to the club he obviously loves and doesn’t leave us short in the left back position.

Both players have been honourable in their own way.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Would have been nice to see what him and Mbiwa would be like under a better manager as both performed well at previous clubs but we will never know now.

If it’s to free up room for an incoming player then great but that’s more than wishful thinking

• Our Toon

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Slank

He does leave us short in the FB positions though, no cover at RB, Dummett as LB and CB cover….excellent!!

• dexter53

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Official denial from club announced on sky

• toon kk

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:00 AM

What a badly run, greedy club we support.
    There’s a lot of unsettled players at Newcastle if the truth be known.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:00 AM

What’s this then? Carver wins a game so we deem ourselves too strong? 🙂

Should have kept it at 1-0 John mate.

• Our Toon

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:01 AM

TS

Has that space not been created with the injury to Saylor?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Slank,
    We were desperate for a CB before MYM was signed and nothings changed, we have ONE recognised RB at the club, the fact that both players have left on deadline day is a massive two fingers up at us and yet another move in the deceit and propaganda they constantly devise.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Slank,
    I understand your point, but that doesn’t mean the club should allow it without bringing in core/replacements. I have no issue with players leaving but we should be bringing players in to strengthen.

Even offering Forest a bit more cash to do the Lascelles deal now would be better than doing nothing.

Santon leaving means that only Janmaat, Colo, Willo, and Haidara are fit and available defenders with top flight experience. Surely you can admit that is an embarrassing and potentially ruinous situation for the club?

• Reyantoon

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Going back to the hull game,,,
    I know we were not “the best”,but our finishing were sublime, that we rarely seen it before.That is one part of improving in terms of scoring goals.I see some fans also tried to critisize Sammy on the game.He was very good to me.I haven’t seen any wrong doing in him,
    He has some weaknesses like luck of consistency but the lad is still 22, he should get a new deal personally..

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Not sure how I managed to fit core/ into that. Shouldn’t be there.

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Every time the club sells a player (btw Santon is on loan , the Geordie mother of his child may not like Milan) This blog goes into overdrive on the doom mongering . It would be funny if it weren’t so pitiful.
    The reality is that a squad place has been freed up by shipping out a redundant player .Better for NUFC and better for the player.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Jeff,
    What is the benefit of a squad lace being freed up if nobody comes in to fill it.

Santon leaving is fine with me IF it means that someone comes in. Given the history of last day January sales (and even early and mid January sales) a replacement isn’t assured.

Until a new replacement that takes his place in the squad arrives, I will view this as poor business by the club.

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Lilongwe Geordie
    Have we sold Dummett like?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:10 AM

*place

• JAMSHA(CARVER SLAYER)

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:10 AM

wait untill sissoko leaves with 5 min remaing

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Jeff,
    Dummett isn’t fit. Which is why he was in the crowd, and not playing against Hull.

• Slank

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Jail & Our Toon

We shouldn’t be short of cover for Janmaat. You don’t keep an experienced left back, who may not always get a game in that position, so he can be backup at right back.

The regular Under 21/Reserve right back (Kevin Mbabu ?) should be the understudy. Why else have a Under 21/Reserve squad ?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:11 AM

So to those of you who think it’s wise to send Santon out on loan in January what will you be saying if Janmaat or Haidara picks up a serious injury?

…was it wise to send Mbiwa out on loan ad well and even sell him this month with the injuries and selection problems we have.

Any outgoing players should be in the summer and players should be replaced.

We won’t even make money on Santon, just worsened our situation!

Like I said “stupid is what stupid does”

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Dummett is pans sorry to say it!

• Slank

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Jeff @ 21

Well said.

• Our Toon

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Jeff

Is Saylor out for the season not freed up a space in the squad for the season.

I bet we are counting on Raylor as cover for the fullbacks.

• beermonkey

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:13 AM

I feel for all the none playing staff at the club they all ended up with this bonus related pay scheme then Ashley and co do everything they can to sabotage our finishing position so they don’t have to pay it

• optimistic prime

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:14 AM

It’s never quiet at NUFC

I’m not a massive santon fan but I can’t understand this decision.

Were happy to weaken in jan but it takes a miracle or disaster to strengthen.

Another window another slap in the face.

• Ketsbaia9

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Santon for me is the best left back in the league. It’s madness selling him. Hopefully he’ll return if we get a new manager. Don’t rate Dummett. Haidara is a squad player for me. Are we trying to get relegated?

• hibbit

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:16 AM

dummett out for 2 weeks do sky know something we don’t why have a reporter at benton

• Slank

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Jesper

Of course it was wise to send Mbiwa out on loan as he couldn’t hack it in the Premiership. He was like a rabbit in the headlights whenever he played for us. The bloke, to his credit, admitted that he couldn’t hack it.

• Ketsbaia9

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:19 AM

We can’t get a better left back than Santon for £10m

• optimistic prime

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Hibbit

Because they like to see our fans suffer and will take great delight in the misery the can cause.

• Sazzer

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Jonas linked with Rangers.

• toon kk

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:20 AM

It’s not just selling to make money, loaning out will save Mash a few quid in wages. Every decision the club makes revolves around saving money.

1 2 3 7