Nothing Spent In Transfer Window – Here’s What It Really Means

When the transfer window closed last night at 11:00 pm Newcastle time, we realized that’s the last time Newcastle could spend money on players coming into the club, either on loan or on a  permanent deal this financial year.

mike ashley 9876

Mike Ashley – Newcastle’s frugal owner

That’s not absolutely correct, because we can still sign somebody who is not under contract, but the point is that’s basically it through June 30th when this financial year ends.

The next transfer window opens up on July 1st,  when the next financial year begins, so it’s obvious that Mike Ashley did not want to spend any money in this transfer window for this financial year, and Lee Charnley in his interview with the Chronicle basically confirmed that.

We did bring players in last summer, but we also sold Mathieu Debuchy to Arsenal for £12M – so our profits for this current financial year should again be very good.

But they will not be as good on the profit side as in the previous year,  when we only spent money on two loan players – Loic Remy and Luuk de Jong – in those two transfer windows while Joe Kinnear was back at the club as Director of Football.

While there’s no doubt that Mike Ashley is a bit of a wizard with the finances, it’s not doing Newcastle much good at all, other than we will get high marks for having such great financial results year over year.

Some of the profits are also going into facilities improvement, such as the overhaul of the Benton Training Grounds to make them into a wold-class facility – and that’s very good – that’s where some of the money should be spent.

But it’s the playing squad where we need more investment from Ashley – and if we did that we could build a top side again.

That’s definitely possible given what our financial results will be in the years ahead – better by far than they have ever been in the past – mainly due to the massive Premier League TV money.

If Mike Ashley would only do that, then our results on the field would improve dramatically

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• optimistic prime

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:43 AM

A wizard? Con artist I’d say!

• TheToonKing

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Ashley is starting to make me hate NUFC and I loathe him for that.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:46 AM

Morning Ibiza!

…I am actually quite surprised they didn’t ship out Jonas in the last minute…but knowing them they probably did try 😉

• Transfer Sage

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:46 AM

OP

I never saw it earlier but seen the story before. I personally don’t like FFP. All it means is big clubs can spend the most as they make the most and in theory should pull away from smaller clubs even further.

Obviously doesn’t work like that as by spending and loaning well you can make progress but the theory is to protect big clubs.

I still find it weird, I think of an owner wants to chuck their own money in Thats fine. Most business take off with investment or loans from outside.

• Average_Contents

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:47 AM

The ultimate con artist

Fat fcuk out

• Ibizatoon

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Morning Jesper….My guess is either no one wanted him or Jonas went in to hiding after reading the tweets about Santon.

“They can’t make me leave if they can’t find me”

• optimistic prime

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:48 AM

TS

I’m not a fan, it’ll be booted out once this lad goes to court.

• optimistic prime

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:49 AM

Ibiza

Guiterez probably thought, 6 months left screw you fatty

• beermonkey

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:49 AM

well shouldn’t really be surprised by what Ashley does and over all I am not but 6 players to rangers I thought 3
    can the club put its hand on hart and say those players have gone there to better there career

I am sure a couple of them needed there arm twisted as well

• Mister Tuff

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:50 AM

I cannot believing that some folk are heralding the five to Rangers as a benefit to NUFC, or that it is clearing the way for a new manager in the summer thus benefitting NUFC or that it is a benefit to the players involved
    The benefits are one way – only benefitting Rangers (for Rangers read Mr Tubbs).
    Some stoicly defend the regime time after time -despite mounting evidence to the contrary. These folk probably can NEVER change their minds. One way thinkers.

• optimistic prime

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:52 AM

I can’t see any of our players advancing at Rangers, playing times all well and good but how much improvement are we likely to see? Very little IMO

Aren’t a few of thease lads out of contract in the summer? I’ll be surprised if even 2 come back I in summer!

• firebug666

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:53 AM

I think Carver should stick Jonas on for the last five minutes of the last game of the season, then he can say go on bonny lad tell fatty you want to sign your year extension.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Tuff

I can’t see it as a benefit. The standard is poor and some of those like bigi and vukic have played championship, premier league and European football…this doesn’t help at all.

I understood the likes of Roberts having a month at Gateshead, one month of tough senior football is good, but 5/6 months of sub standard garbage helps nobody (but ashley).

• the white tino

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:55 AM

So we now a club that will be raped and pillaged for all this fat slug can get loaning players to rangers and still paying their wages??? What’s in that for nufc surely more sense loaned to championship clubs who’d pay for the privilege We need to cut this cancer from the club now however it has to be done Fat slug out and all of his F##king trail lockers piss off with him

• magscar

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:55 AM

TheToonKing

That’s a shame but try to keep the faith and read the SBR comments which Ed proudly reproduces above.

It is all we have that Ashley can’t sell and many of the 50000 who still go demonstrate that perhaps resignedly but they won’t be driven out.

His regime will end as Pardew’s did and the club itself and fans will still be here fulfilling their duty of love if not their dreams just as it ever was.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:57 AM

I wonder what the demand for tickets will be for the first game post Ashley…it will be one hell of an atmosphere.

• Klam3r

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Can someone please remind me why we’re suppose to attend matches? I’ve cancelled my trip to Newcastle with my son, again.

I’, actually backing the decision to hire Carver as head coach until summer. I still hope for a good coach and our targets wasn’t ready to jump this ship now. Let’s see what happens in the summer.
    Loved the setup against Hull. Even though the match could tilt both ways in the first half we were set up to win. That is a luxary I’ve missed under Pardew.

That said I’m not ready to use my money on Newcastle United(even the name is comedy) until I feel my money will be spent within the club.

Come on… United? We’re more like Newcastle Devided.

• Ben3arfa

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:59 AM

The only positive we can get out of this is that the team can go on a slump and that Carver doesnt get appointed as permanent head coach.

If Carver gets the job, then that would be it, we would have missed the biggest opportunity to have some proper direction for this club.

All we would be left with is a club of yes-men, who will do nothing to challenge Fatty’s corrupt way of running things. In the end, that is how people like Charnley made it to the top, brown-nosing Ashley in every way imaginable.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:59 AM

OP…The club actually may well have deemed that he was worth keeping, given Jonas’ versatility.

What am I saying, that would require thought.

On the loans, I think it’s now been well covered. The players who have gone (other than Santon and MBiwa) weren’t going to play, so on one side, it’s good.

But Rangers aren’t the team they were, nor are they in a good league and it’s clear as day that this is just to benefit them, not us.

Did I read Leeds made a loan approach for one of the lads? Surely that would have been more beneficial for our player and our club than sending him to Rangers?

That just isn’t important though these days.

• beermonkey

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:59 AM

mr tuff

people are putting a positive spin on this how is that possible

• Ibizatoon

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:01 AM

I’m not sure I can handle 5-6 months of blog arguements about whether Ashley intends to get in a new manager and players this summer.

Oh it’s going to be painful.

• Average_Contents

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Exactly

It’s for the sole benefit of rangers and by extension the fat slug.

Ibiza

Unfortunately the virus spread exponentially and infected the masses.

I believe the only cure is death.

The die hard regime backers are that focused on trying to see good where there is none that their arguments in it’s defence are beginning to look like the desperate last throws of a dying man. See above for virus.

• beermonkey

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Ibiza

I think leeds wanted streete

• Transfer Sage

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Ibiza

I’m staying out of that now as we simply don’t know, depends on the circumstances and who’s available for what bargain price.

If carver does a great job and gets the role I won’t be upset. If he doesn’t do well and doesn’t get it then let’s see who we get.

What needs to be done is some strong campaign against ashley. No more focusing on the manager or players, they are all symptoms of the disease that flows through our club.

• Klam3r

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Ibizatoon

Ashley will most likely extend Carvers contract with 8 years…

• Ibizatoon

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:04 AM

AC…I haven’t given up on the idea of a mass vaccine.

beermonkey…Cheers. Nah, he’ll definitely be better playing Scottish 2nd tier football than playing at Leeds.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:05 AM

For those to lazy to click on the link, here is the quote from Keegan.

“Don’t ever give up on your club, keep supporting it, it’s your club and trust me one day you will get it back and it will be everything you wanted it to be.

Newcastle United is bigger than anyone. It hurts I know, but just keep going, he is only one man, we are a city, a whole population. Trust me.”

• optimistic prime

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Ibiza

To save the arguments I’ll answer now

• Ibizatoon

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:07 AM

TS…Symptoms you say, sure i’ve read that before 🙂

I’ve been mulling it over for a little while now. As a fan base we need something to believe in again. It’s a little hippy trippy, but surely it has to be ourselves as a fan base?

Klam…If he can get a few more points in the next few games then the club will have no choice but to give him 8 years.

Weakened squad and still meeting targets? Make him manager for life! I mean head coach for life!

• beermonkey

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:07 AM

does any1 have any proof of land and other assets Ashley has flogged off, I don’t think he sold the land that’s rented to the council

• Transfer Sage

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Lilongwe

I think there needs to be some serious campaigns. Research done into canvassing fan support and consortiums to try to raise funds. Obviously fans can’t put stupid money in but even just 1% would be significant as it shows the fans want to handle it.

But ultimately it is a waiting game until somebody or a group come up with the cash.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:10 AM

OP…Thanks. Are you sure that’s the end of it then? Do you promise there will be no talk of it until the end of the season? 🙂

Lil…Do you think that’s the best way forward? I would say many fans fall in to that Keegan quote. He wont be here forever, we’ll just sit it out and one day all will be good again. I’m really not sure what is possible, but just sitting and waiting doesn’t seem to be the answer for me.

• TheDrewid

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Why is it that so many people on this blog continue to be surprised and upset by our January transfer activity? Have you learned nothing over the past few years? Take a tip from me – expect nothing at all, then if something does occur for the good it can be a genuine surprise. A bit like xmas.

Look at this logically. We have absolutely f-all to play for, so why spend any money to that end? What would it achieve? Yes, it may give the fans some excitement and pleasure, but Ashley has a guaranteed captive audience whatever he does. As for the lads going to Rangers, we’re any of them remotely first team material? We’ll have all the sicknotes returning soon, plus our African contingent will be returning, so any chance of first team action is severely limited by those alone. They may as well go and get competitive game time somewhere. Yes, we’ve been crying out for reinforcements at cf and cb for a while now and yet we’ve managed to limp this far without either and no doubt as long as we continue to limp on to mid table mediocrity, why bother spending to improve either position.

People really need to start getting it into their heads that this club is now run as a business and not for entertainment. From a business point of view, it is being run magnificently. If only I could bring myself to be excited by balance sheets.

• Average_Contents

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Ibiza

I think it was streete that was rumoured leeds were looking at. As if that was EVER going to happen when he could be sent to rangers for the benefit of the slug whilst we pay his and the other 4’s wages.

• firebug666

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Sage

First and foremost leaders need to step forward, then a viable (and legal) plan needs to be put in place to gather the fans together, cost need to be worked out and published as targets for donations. Only then will we have some sort of fan base that can take Jabba and his henchmen to task.

• optimistic prime

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Ibiza

I’ll take a Charnley there

• tequilamag

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Well this makes sense as to why Pardew jumped ship. I suspect he was told there would be no signings in the window and we would be shipping a few out. Pardew knew he would be the lightening rod for the fans unhappiness and thought screw this for a game of soldiers.
    Perhaps this will finally put to bed the notion that we only needed a new manager to put the world to rights. Whoever gets the job be it Carver or anyone else will always be managing with one hand tied.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Dreiwd,
    Why is there fcuk all to play for Leicester are in the fifth round of the FA cup.

• Tsunki

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:19 AM

Well I suppose a positive we can all take out of this is that the helicopter won’t need servicing for a few months yet.