Mike Ashley Now Exerts Complete Control Of Rangers

Now we know why the five Newcastle players who were sent on loan to Rangers FC were very happy to go north of the border – they are assured of playing games for the Scottish club  through the end of the season.

Kenny McDowall -008

Rangers manager Kenny McDowall

Rangers manager Kenny McDowall, had this to say about the five loan players from Newcastle:

“On Monday night I got a call from Derek Llambias saying he had secured five players on loan.”  “Three of them arrived and two of them will be coming the next three or four weeks – they are injured.”\

“When I was given the job I was told players incoming and outgoing wouldn’t be my responsibility.” “I take the team and coach the team and I am more than happy to get on with it.”

Kenny was then asked if he had to play the Newcastle players, to which he answered “yes.”

It’s not surprising  the Rangers’ manager has been told his duty is to coach the players he is given, and will not be involved in any of the transfers.

That’s the way Mike Ashley runs Newcastle, and why it will be very difficult for us to get a top coach into the club in the summer, with the restrictions placed on them by the owner.

The five players are Remie Streete, Gael Bigirimana, Haris Vuckic who are at Rangers now – and Kevin Mbabu and Shane Ferguson who presumably are the two who will be arriving in the next few weeks.

Mike Ashley owns less than 10% of Rangers FC,  but this is even more proof that he is completely in control of the club, because of the loans he has given the cash-strapped Scottish club

And if the Scottish FA are troubled by his control of the club up to this point – they should be even more concerned now – because it seems obvious he is in complete control – even telling the manager which players he must play.

There’s something very wrong with what Mike Ashley is doing at Rangers FC.

Maybe the solution is for him to buy Rangers and sell Newcastle? 😀

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• BandB

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:02 PM

Pardew should spill the beans on whether this kind of thing was also part of his job description.

• Lindisfarne

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:03 PM

Am I wrong to think this interview with the Rangers ‘Head Coach’ could simply be a twist in meaning?

Applying the filter that ‘Newcastle reserve players are far better than anything in the current squad’, it makes sense that they will no doubt play whatever the circumstances, no priority will be given to existing players and the team is more important than the origin of individuals. Any phone conversation would have just emphasised this obvious matter of course.

• BandB

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Lindisfarne,

Why shouldn’t we just take it on face value? That it is just exactly as he says?

• hibbit

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:07 PM

BandB carver is the one who should spill the beans did it happen with the leicester game did charnley pick the team

• Graeme

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Rangers? Are they not a different club, in a different countries Football League?? Why should I have the slightest interest in what FCB is doing outside NUFC?

He is doing such a fantastic job keeping us in limbo to worry all of us without worrying about Rangers being screwed as well. Given the practise and experience he has developed, if I was a Rangers fan, I would be horrified, but I’m sure the Rangers fans will have their own ideas how to deal with their situation.

• firebug666

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:09 PM

BandB

I don’t really think he needs to:

Before the FA Cup game we have a set of player playing every week no problem.

FA Cup game, six players are suffering from knocks and injuries, and one is exhausted and need a rest. So seven changes are made.

After the FA Cup game all those injured & tired players are fully fit again and raring to go in the league.

Pretty much speaks for itself.

• BandB

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:11 PM

hibbit,

Carver might have a prob with that.

• Lindisfarne

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:12 PM

BandB

As it is a secondary anecdotal source very liable to manipulation and not a primary statement.

• BandB

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Lindsisfarne,

In my experience, journalists do not put things in quotation marks that are not direct quotes. It isn’t done. Ever.

• Average_Contents

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:14 PM

It was a direct question with a direct answer. Provided by Sky. All that’s happened to make it second hand is other media outlets have published the story.

• hibbit

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:16 PM

lindisfarne maybe you should read the bbc a lot fuller story

• Ibizatoon

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Not really sure this is the biggest issue here, isn’t this often common practice with loan deals? I.E the parent club want their players to get playing time, hence the reason behind loaning them to another club?

I get it shows that Ashley clearly has control…but that was clear already.

Anyway, all been having fun? As a quick synopsis from what I’ve read, am I right in thinking that basically peoples arguement for the regime is that we’re just about to see the benefits of the plan?

Are we jumping the gun again and should we be waiting to see what his real intentions are for NUFC this summer?

It’s funny how that line comes about every season.

• Rozzy

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:20 PM

I think MA will be gone after next season when Rangers are back in the SPL. He will milk us dry then be off to Scotland so he can get them into the CL and advertise SD to the world and Rangers been in a poor league won’t need a lot put into them to get them there. All we can do is wait and hope we can finish mid table this season and next then a new owner comes in and pushes us forward to where we belong. Trophy hunting and back in Europe. Lets hope 🙂

• BandB

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:22 PM

Ibizatoon,

Pardew made slow and steady progress from eleventh when he joined to 11th when he left. Are you suggesting that isn’t progress?

• Lindisfarne

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:25 PM

I am not denying that a phone call took place, only the interpretation that he was told directly to select the NUFC players did not come across as being a problem in footballing terms to the Coach. He was told better quality players were going to be made available to him which would undoubtedly lead to the teams greater success; was he told to play them? – Yes. Was he told they ‘must’ play? Yes (he would be stupid not to).

• Ibizatoon

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:26 PM

BandB…Can I have an easier first question? 🙂

I guess you know my answer already – No it’s not progress.

If I felt inclined to do so, I could lean to the other side of the fence and say that he managed to maintain an overall level whilst the club went through a stage of re-building….

Therefore, this summer is the next phase! 🙂 Yipee, good times are here again, it’s been worth the wait folks, Mikey was right all along.

Don’t you all feel foolish?

• Lindisfarne

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:27 PM

BandB

In my experience as a reader, journalist are very known to change the context of an answer for a more sensational headline.

• Jenny Honey

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Mike Ashley wont leave a a business were you receive free monie`s at a staggering amount, who would, he has skin as thick as a dinasaur, he is not bothered what folk think of him.

• BoyDoneGood

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:29 PM

There is no doubt that MacDowall was correctly quoted, and meant precisely what Ed says. We don’t know that MacDowall was not twisting the truth. If he favours the anti-Ashley faction, he may be tempted to exaggerate the pressure. Expect his career to take a new turn soon…

• Lindisfarne

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:32 PM

A comment elsewhere says the real question is which 6 other players will he be able to select that will compliment those from NUFC; and that is saying it in more formal terms.

• hibbit

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:32 PM

lindisfarne what has swayed me is they have not denial its been out there 12 hours

• BandB

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Lindisfarne,

If it’s in quotation marks it HAS to be a direct quote.
    People on here deny things people have been FILMED saying.

• mikeashleyisamackem

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:39 PM

What’s the big deal
    Fergie started loaning players to clubs with the instruction if you want them on loan they must play or what is the point of them going out on loan
    People will jump on anything to dos shelve ashley its a joke
    He is saving there club for gods sake
    Do Rangers fans want to see there club folded up
    No so what they do is they toe the line
    What benefit is it to newcastle if they don’t play
    Least this way we get to see if there up to the challenge
    People just go on and on about trivial crap
    They loaned them for a reason to strengthing there side
    Am sure they need them there not bad players
    Ashley can’t win either way
    They spent 12 million on cabbella and under pardew he couldn’t get a game
    Is it ironic that now carver has the job he plays every week
    Do you think ashley said to carver right you want this job show me cabbella was not a waste of money
    Do you think Ashley instructed pards to play him but he refused but Pards contract stated he picked the chosen 11 so he was powerless
    Then carver gets job because he is the only one to agree to the boards demands,
    Probably most likely
    But hey Carr must have rated him and isn’t it funny how he got man of match and scored his first goal
    Pardew hates flair players that is obvious ask Ben Arfa
    So cabbella didn’t fit into Pardews style
    that is obvious
    Let’s see how the season pans out before we all cast judgement we could easily get that top ten finish

• Slank

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Graeme @ 5

In many respects you are right to say …’Why should I have the slightest interest in what FCB is doing outside NUFC…’ if there was no connection between the two clubs other than the fact he owns one and is the money lender to the other.

But now the linkage between the two clubs has changed with the arrival in Glasgow of five Newcastle employees (for better or worse).

Whilst Mash Holdings included House of Fraser, Debenhams and Sports Direct in its portfolio it didn’t really affect Newcastle as they operate in a quite different business sector but now, I assume, Glasgow Rangers has been added to the portfolio

What I don’t know is whether there are rules and regulations that prevent the profits from Newcastle subsidizing Rangers. There is a UEFA investigation into the corporate structure of Man City as there have ‘connections’ with other clubs in other countries.

• Lindisfarne

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:47 PM

I have no wish to be seen somehow trying to protect MA and his underlings and I am not denying that what the Rangers Coach is reported to have said is not accurate. I am merely questioning the nuance that has provoked a negative back lash…..or maybe I am questioning the back lash itself, I don’t know and I can not carry on trying to make myself clearer. To only find that more and more people miss understand and in fact it becomes murkier. Or even more sinister and then we are back to where we started.

• ToonMatt

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:10 PM

The cancer is well and truly spreading, Ashley is a filthy, disgusting, rotten disease.

• sickandtired

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:53 PM

@ Lindisfarne – you can look up McDowalls comments given on camera. Straight from the hoses mouth with no need to doubt it’s accuracy.
    As discussed on another page, the real story here is that Ashley dictated who left NUFC and also who plays at Rangers. Neither Coach had a say in things, nor anyone else.

• chuck

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:43 PM

I’m amazed at how many apologist’s there are for Ashley on this blog.
    Especially Lindisfarne, who following indisputable evidence continues to defend Ashley and his policies.
    Were he some stranger other than a NUFC fan this wouldn’t cause me to comment, but he being a local fan of the club and aware of what has gone on throughout Ashleys ownership, is he seriously suggesting that whatever McDowell stated, he has been misinterpreted
    by everyone but himself ?
    FFS man !

• Dingo†®

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:23 PM

some extra quotes from the Times.

Mike Ashley’s influence at Rangers appears to be on the rise. The Newcastle United owner, who owns just 9 per cent of the Scottish Championship club, seems to be using it as a kind of feeder after Kenny McDowall, the caretaker manager, revealed that he has been told he must play the five Newcastle players that were added to his squad on transfer deadline day.
    Haris Vuckic, Remie Streete, Gaël Bigirimana, Kevin Mbabu and Shane Ferguson have all moved to Ibrox until the end of the season.
    McDowall said: “On Monday night I got a call from Derek [Llambias, the Rangers chief executive] saying he had secured five players on loan. Three of them arrived and two of them will be coming the next three or four weeks – they are injured.”
    Asked if he was duty-bound to play them, McDowall replied “yes”, adding that he had been told to guarantee the loan players a match each week by Lambias and Sandy Easdale, the Rangers football board chairman.
    “They are obviously good players – they play for Newcastle – but I will carry on and do what I am told to do,” he said. “That’s the nature of being at a big club. There are always new players arriving at big clubs and it is something the players will have to deal with.
    “It is competition and it is up to them to work hard at training and look after their own standards. I would like to think the players would be professional and do their jobs. We will take it from there.
    “I have been told what to do and I have told them I am more than happy to carry out what they have told me, so I don’t have a problem with it at all.”
    Asked how he could be comfortable with the situation, McDowall added: “I have handed in my notice and have told the guys I am happy to take the team.
    “So I am not going to complain. I will carry out the instructions that they give me and do my best. I have a job to do and I am happy to do it.
    “The boys have come up to play and they will play. That’s just how it is … the lads are just here to play football. They are nice lads and look good players. It is not their doing. They are a welcome addition to our squad.”