Newcastle Don’t Complicate Things – Team Is On The Rise

Well at least Newcastle’s right back Daryl Janmaat is confident about the rest of the season at Newcastle,  and at least the next two games – at home to Stoke on Sunday afternoon and at Crystal Palace the following Wednesday night, where we will meet up with former manager Alan Pardew, are two games where all three points are possible.

elia beats janmaat

Daryl Janmaat in action against Southampton

With Newcastle being out of the FA Cup, another free weekend is lined up a week this weekend,  before we play at Manchester City on Saturday 21st February in the 5:30 pm kick off game.

This is what Daryl Janmaat has told the Chronicle today:

“We can put our minds at rest now. We know what we have here and who is the head coach.” “That’s better for the team.”

“We hope to put a run together now after Hull. A run like before Christmas is what we are hoping for. If we can get that we can finish in the season in good fashion.”

“The top 10 is the main target we have to reach. Stoke is a good game for us at home then Crystal Palace away. They are good games to take some points.”

“It was a good win. It was very important to get it because we’d had a few bad results so needed to stop the run.”  “We got more luck and we had some great keeper work from Tim.”

“But sometimes you need that over the season and we got it.” “It was a good goal from Cabella and a good performance. I’m happy for him.”

Things have settled down at Newcastle now after the January transfer window, when we could have lost Sissoko, Cisse or Tiote, so we didn’t weaken the side too much this time.

And we didn’t complicate things by bringing in any new players to strengthen the squad, like some other clubs had the cheek to do, so Newcastle we suppose are fairly settled and it’s true that good players are returning from injury.

Top ten is the minimum requirement for Newcastle as usual, read that as stay out of a relegation battle,  and that’s when players and coaches get their bonuses, so they will be motivated (we suppose) to finish in the top half of the table.

And John Carver should be on higher wages and an increased bonus now he is the head coach for the rest of the season, and there’s no doubt John is motivated to get as many points on the board as possible, so he has a chance of the job permanently in the summer.

We played quite well last Saturday afternoon against a poor side at Hull, and kept our first clean sheet since November,  but our defense still has to tighten up, if we are to continue to get wins on the board – which is really what we need.

We need wins to cheer up our depressed fans.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• firebug666

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:04 AM

hibbit

I have never disagreed with this line of thought mate, It makes sense that as a business if you want to keep current on what your customers are thinking you would become involved with or at the very least monitor the fans on line.

I noticed early last month when all the talk on here was about boycotts at the stadium, protests outside of SD tat shops and hacking the SD website, suddenly Charley and the treasonous Chronicle came out with that appalling statement and suddenly all talk of rebellion ceased, and arguments about the statement ensued. Job done!

• Average_Contents

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Hibbit

Much like your rationale and firebugs, my conclusions and suspicions are also the same. Why wouldn’t they. That was my point lastnight.

• banjax

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:13 AM

“..the team is on the rise..’ A misleading statement bearing mind just one win in the last five games and hardly an example of a team ‘on the rise’. Lack of ambition and investment in the team is the problem and until that changes, our beloved club will mostly attract mediocre footballer who are looking for a shop window to further their career. That does’nt sound like a team on the rise.. Does it ?

• cyprus

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:20 AM

First off,
    No offense from any comments. And I definitely may be wrong, though I must base my opinion on what I see and read, not what the fans say. I say it as I see it and I can’t be sure as I too don’t have the evidence.
    For instance, Fire, even ‘educating the fans’ (to be average) AP, often said he’d give it a go re cups and EL. In fact, although I think HE was decidedly average, he did do ok on some occasions (see EL and beating City).

For example, re City, when we shockingly won we said oh the players hadn’t been told that we were meant to throw the game. Isn’t that stretching it a bit?

On the business model: I may have given too pure an impression with my ‘balanced books’ post: would I be displeased if a crazy emir came in and threw petrodollars into the team, bought 30 mil.players, named the stadium Qatar Airlines, and rocketed my team to top status like City?

Tough one… not 🙂

• cyprus

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:25 AM

On plants,
    I’ve posted before that if they had younger marketers they’d know that it’s necessary. Thing is, I never spotted anyone who seems to really be in the know. Unless he’s so good he’s pretending he’s a dumbass!

I would’ve loved it if there were such a person, because then I’d be able to tease out real information right from the source. Instead of basing most stuff on hearsay.

Pro-Ashleys are probably just that. Not spies.

• firebug666

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:27 AM

cyprus

Right now I would take anyone over what we have at this club, All I really want is to see the team playing good football, and competing on the pitch regardless of what the competition is.

A little bit of ambition mixed in with a prudent bank balance is not a lot to ask for, and is achievable even under this regime.

The simple fact of the matter is Ashley only wants the money.

• BoyDoneGood

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Somebody asked what I meant by “aging striker”.
    Happy birthday, Carlos.
    Tevez was born exactly 30 years ago. He’ll do as an example. In his last year at Man City – still in his 20’s – press reports indicate that he depreciated in value by £9M. Since they were paying him £9M a year, that was an extra year’s superstar salary the club had to fund. According to the press, that was depreciation in just that year. Forget how much they paid for him for a moment – too many posters here think you can buy or sell a player (or a manager), as if transfer fees were the main costs for a club – and accept that in one year he cost them £18M.
    Now I’m not a businessman, although my Great Uncle Arthur did have a bike shop in the 1950’s. I used to teach maths, but I retired from teaching during the Freddie Shephard days. (Oh crap – blown my cover – I’m not Mike Ashley after all…) So I look at a football match or campaign or season and I do the sums. NUFC get £3.5M from Palace for Pardew’s contract. Should it be spent? It’s pennies. It’s less than 20% of what Man City had to find for Carlos Tevez in one year – a player they already “owned”.
    If you think that’s got to be “plou[ghe]d back” you are making a big mistake. My Great Incle Arthur used to say “Look after the pence and the pounds will look after themselves” which – even though he was a miserly git – happens to be true. Look after the millions and the billions will look after themselves. Over 50 years ago I lived on beans on toast in a little flat until I’d saved enough to put down a deposit on my first house. It took a few years.
    In a few years this club will be rich enough to play in the Chamion’s league. Or we can plough every penny straight back. A player’s annual salary is typically something like – I dunno, you guess different if you like – 25% of his transfer fee. so for the Pardew windfall you could get a £700,000 player for a four year contract. If your scouts are brilliant, you might pick up an overlooked Seamus Coleman, but if you’re looking at established players, especially proven goal scorers…
    Anyway, happy birthday Carlos. I wish we could have afforded you, or Eden Hazard, or Silva, or Yaya Toure (all three on similar slaries to Tevez). We can’t. Not yet.

• sickandtired

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:18 AM

@Boy – nice ramble, mate. Unfortunately your synopsis seems to be missing one key point. Ashley does not appear to want to spend the sort of money which would build a PLchallenging side let alone a CL team.
    Lets face it, we can’t even win an FA Cup tie. He’s had 8 years of looking after the pennies and we are further away from top flight competition than we were when he came in.
    Finishing 5th once is tempered by the fact we have otherwise only been tenth once before and also relegated.
    Ashley therefore very much resembles a parent who makes the kids eat beans on toast, gives his missus 20 quid housekeeping and tells them they need to live withing their means -while he goes out and buys himself a Ferrari.

• Malta Mag

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Stand by for me to get slaughtered by the hard core but I’m either missing the point or just a natural positive thinker but why are we so dismayed at not having spent in the transfer window? Of course we could have gone out and bought a good solid centre back but maybe none were available or the prices were simply outrageous? Fullbacks are well covered both sides with Anita and Jaanmat on the right and Dummett and Haidara the left. Midfield, we’re over loaded with quality and remember we’ve kept both Sisokko and Tiote which has to be a bonus. Wide players when fully fit, they’re are four with Obertan, Aarons, Sammy and Goofy and I still believe we’ve enough up front if we give them a chance with Rivière, Armstrong, Perez and SDJ back. So if I was Mr Ashley I would have been looking only for a centre back. Of course he can be criticized for lack of ambition but in the circumstances he was probably right not to spend silly money. We will not get relegated regardless of the scaremongering and will finish top ten and be stable financially. The question then is, “What about next season?” In the meantime 50,000 will still turn out on Saturday v Stoke because boycotting the games is simply not an option. My question to Mr Ashley is ” please talk to us and if you have a long term plan then let’s hear it”