Revealed – How Sir Bobby Dealt With A Problem Player

John Carver is giving us little nuggets of information about the way the great Sir Bobby Robson dealt with players while he was at Newcastle, and in yesterday’s media briefing John told a little story of how the great man once dealt with Craig Bellamy – who was one of the problem players when he was at Newcastle.

john carver bobby robson

A young John Carver with Sir Bobby Robson

The conversation was centered on man-management and the fact that former full-back Andy Griffin would be at the game in his commentary duties.

This is a little story John told about man-management and his time with Sir Bobby:

“It’s probably one of the most important things in how you deal with and handle players.”

“I remember one day Sir Bob was looking for Craig Bellamy, and he said come on I want you to come into the meeting room with me.”

“And we went into the room and I thought he was going to tear a strip off him, and he just sat him down and was so nice and pleasant with him.”

“I was sitting there thinking Bob what are you doing,  and I thought he was going to give him a right telling off and he didn’t, and that’s how he dealt with situations.”

“I’m not saying that’s the way I deal with every situation, but he certainly turned my head,  and I’m definitely  a lot more sensible when I’m dealing with man management situations.”

We’ve heard players who played for Sir Bobby Robson say that they gave their all for Bobby because he was such a great man – very fair – and was always renowned for getting the best out of what he had available – which is a good definition of what a coach is.

He did that at Ipswich Town from 1969 until he took over the England side in 1982 and he coached England for the next eight years.

We often think the tactics get way over-rated in today’s game, and what’s more important than anything else is how the head coach can keep getting the very best out of his players.

Sir Bobby Robson was one of the very best at doing that, and one reason why he was loved, revered  and admired throughout the world of football.

If only we had Sir Bobby at the club now – with the good players we have – we’d again be flying high in the Premier League.

Bobby Robson remains a great inspiration to me as both a coach and a man, and also the way he bravely handled the cancer he had – which eventually killed him in July, 2009.

In his last three seasons as the Newcastle manager (2002-2004) we finished in 4th, 3rd and 5th position in the league table.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Average_Contents

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Sir Bobby again? Surely not.

• scout

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:46 AM

just offers fans out its easier haha

• sing in the corner

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:47 AM

Why didn’t he call on that experience when he was lambasting fans with expletives and threatsfor having a go at the regime? Please lay off the SBR references JC, it makes you look dense

• Average_Contents

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:55 AM

From previous thread

Why would a player who has played most of the season so far and then stays in January be “like a new signing” why john? lol. That’s clutching at straws.

He also mentioned he didn’t ask for any new players because “we’ve got enough to see us through until the end of the season” really john?
    What you mean is you never asked because you didn’t want to shake the apple cart and you’ve accepted no fcukers coming in because they’ve told you so.

“The squad was full so we had to let some go”

I don’t think I need to say anything about that last quote.

• Average_Contents

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:01 AM

Here’s another nugget just incase people thought I was joking from my last post. Yes he really did say we had too many players. Talk about towing the line and being compliant, Jesus. He then says I’m no yes man lmfao.

There are concerns Santon’s departure leaves Carver light on defensive cover but he demurs. “We’ve got options, we’ve got flexibility,” said the coach who felt no need to ask the board for the striker and centre-half many observers believed Newcastle required last month

“I didn’t ask because I know I’ve got a group of players who can get us through to the end of the season – before Monday we actually had too many players,” he said.

• croftus5678

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:01 AM

we need a main striker and a cb imo.

yes we have cisse atm who is arguably our main striker and perez who is atm a secondary striker worth 10-12 goals per season as he’s still learning the game but its the main striker when cisse is out we need cover for and river just isnt that man i’m afraid as atm he wouldnt even make the subs bench as a striker for me.

cb we arguably have lescalles and streete who may be ready for next season depending on how he develops which may have put them off recruiting a cb and i def see dummett as a cb not a lb

• Average_Contents

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:06 AM

It’s almost parduesque in it’s bullshit. Is that what 4 years does to you underneath a professional liar? Disappointed johnny boy. Mightily.

• BandB

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Pardew often came out after barren transfer windows to pronounce himself well-satisfied with the squad, even when he’d previously been dropping heavy hints about needing new players.
    The point was, he too smart to mangle it into the plainly ridiculous statement Carver just made.
    It would be wrong though to turn Carver into a new hate figure and direct our ire at him. We shouldn’t hand Ashley another human shield.
    Carver has no talent for spin, even though he is attempting it.
    We’ll get club policy from Carver with all his plain-speaking in-over-his-head cringeworthiness.

• Average_Contents

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:11 AM

I thought the days of waking up to a complete load of yes man tripe had disappeared once the king left for “is palice” clearly not.

I shall not be on much as I’ve got decking to rip up so you won’t have to listen to me much more lol

• Average_Contents

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:14 AM

BandB

Much more eloquently put and yes I agree with your sentiments regarding the human shield.

It’s not distracted me from the main, it’s more disappointment in what he’s said. You know with him being a man of the people, a fan who invokes the spirit of Sir Bob n all that.

• Obertan's better than Messi

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Out of the cup … tick
    No new signings … tick
    Happy with squad … tick

Helicopter landing … where’s the KY ooch tick

Sell your soul to the devil …

• Obertan's better than Messi

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:18 AM

Out of the cup … tick
    No new signings … tick
    Happy with squad … tick

Helicopter landing … where’s the KY ooch … tick

• magscar

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:19 AM

Mister Tuff@13 previous thread

Find myself in agreement with you seems pretty clear Pardew and Carr were rarely on same page perhaps Carver might be. Trouble is as we both know Carr works to a fairly restrictive brief anyway.

Still think Summer is first time Ashley has an opportunity to do something really different – could upgrade Coach and be less restrictive with transfer budget given expected profits in new a/c’s. But will he????
    Most think answer is obvious and so it may be but it is in my view his last and best chance to have club begin to fly before he does sell. As usual nowt we can do but wait , season ticket renewal has come and gone I believe crowd turning on Carver at some stage will no doubt have some effect but good or bad who knows?

• BandB

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:19 AM

I’m pretty sure there’s a script dedicating a win to Mike somewhere in Carver’s in-tray.
    In John’s mouth it will be relayed as “having Mike is just like a dozen new signings.”

• croftus5678

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:19 AM

i’m not going to jump on the managers back and pull every little comment he does apart !

fair enough we did with pards but pards had served his time and was getting no where fast playing mostly dull football which is not what i wanted to pay money to see.

carver is playing good football even though the defence is still dire with mistakes and he’s been fair in saying he has nothing to do with transfers so his job is simply get the best out of the players he has and tbf thats what he’s doing.

as long as he’s getting the best out of the lads i cant see what there is to be unhappy about him ! surely every issue other that that is ashley’s and the higher ups fault not carvers.

• Phil K

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Yeah, and Kieron Dyers disgusting behaviour shows if the player is a total arsehole, it’s NOT going to work