This Is Why Davide Santon Was Allowed To Leave Newcastle


John Carver was asked what the situation was with Davide Santon, and why he was allowed to leave Newcastle last Monday, and return to his former club Inter-Milan – initially on loan.

david santon new strip

Davide Santon – allowed to leave Newcastle

John talked yesterday with the press and said for the first time in many months, he would have to leave some good players out of the 18 man match day squad, because there are now a lot more to choose from, as players return from injury.

Carver was then asked specifically why Davide Santon was allowed to leave the club last Monday, and this is what he said:

“He’s not featured all season and he’s had this problem with his knee, but the emergence of Paul Dummett and Massadio Haidara are two guys at left back in particular who have done really well.”

“So he was finding it a problem to get into the team.” “I’ve always said if you get in the team and do well you will stay in the team, no matter whether you are a young player or a senior player.”

“I think Davide got a little frustrated himself because he wasn’t in the team and I can understand that because he wants to play. ”  

“The best option was to get him out on loan and that’s what we have done.”

It’s true that both Paul and Massadio have done well at left back this season, but we think the 22 year-old Frenchman now has a great chance to make the left-back position his own at Newcastle.

Massadio has played 16 times this season so far, and since joining us from Nancy a short two years ago, he has made a total of 36 appearances for Newcastle, and he’s looked a really good player who can put some excellent crosses over.

It will be interesting to see if Massadio keeps his place this week with Paul Dummett being fit again – Massadio was very good last Saturday at Hull.

Comments welcome.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

26 comments so far

  • Average_Contents

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:16 AM

    Comment #1

    From previous

    BandB

    Much more eloquently put and yes I agree with your sentiments regarding the human shield.

    It’s not distracted me from the main, it’s more disappointment in what he’s said. You know with him being a man of the people, a fan who invokes the spirit of Sir Bob n all that.

    0
  • Average_Contents

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:18 AM

    Comment #2

    Ed

    He also had this to say regarding Santon moving on.

    “We’ve got options, we’ve got flexibility,” said the coach who felt no need to ask the board for the striker and centre-half many observers believed Newcastle required last month

    “I didn’t ask because I know I’ve got a group of players who can get us through to the end of the season – before Monday we actually had too many players,” he said.

    0
  • Ibizatoon

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:20 AM

    Comment #3

    A/C nd BandB…Bless him, he’s giving it a real go.

    I agree that we need to keep some perspective and not allow JC to become the “human shield” as BandB put it.

    Is everyone still confident that a decent coach who is his own man will be arriving this summer? I just don’t see how anyone thinks it’s possible or would even work.

    0
  • Obertan's better than Messi

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:21 AM

    Comment #4

    Why Santon went … no chance of relegation … get his wages off the books. Simple.

    0
  • Ibizatoon

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:22 AM

    Comment #5

    A/C…Well, we can’t use anymore than 14 players in one match. Clearly when they decided each team was allowed a 25 man squad, someone messed up with their calculations.

    Someone who doesn’t mind throwing money away it seems. Silly people.

    “too many players” – 🙂 That’s a good way to start the weekend.

    0
  • BandB

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:28 AM

    Comment #6

    Ibiza,

    How many staff does a shop need?
    Four for the tills, six to stack the shelves and one to take the stock.
    Oh,..I forgot. We’re not a shop!
    Someone better tell Mike.

    0
  • croftus5678

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:28 AM

    Comment #7

    santons never been great anyways always full of promise but never improved ! its true hairdryer and dummett are more effective in both attack and defence than santon was.

    how many lads will have to have a squad number that have not this season anyone know ?

    lescalles/darlow not sure if vukic has a number or not tbh.
    guti will hopefully be off the books and not sure on marvaux and no idea if sammy needs a number or not tbh.

    0
  • Ibizatoon

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:29 AM

    Comment #8

    BandB…I’ve been searching for Ashleys Newcasltle player shop, can’t find it. Not even an ebay page. Seems he’s missing a trick.

    Anyway, what’s this about not being a shop? Did you have more than a couple last night?

    0
  • JDdubai

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:30 AM

    Comment #9

    Santon’s wage is more than Dummett and Haidara put together, once he wasnt going to be first choice then why keep him – with no real relegation fear and no cups/europa challenge then we will drift along til the summer fine without his wages on the books.

    Santon will make it permanent, think its 10 games and it becomes automatic like MYM.

    0
  • Jeff from Benwell

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:30 AM

    Comment #10

    In the Italian press Santon is saying he joined Inter to catch the eye of Antonio Conte .
    Santon thinks he may still have a chance of playing for the Azzuri

    0
  • JDdubai

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:31 AM

    Comment #11

    Not saying my above post is the right way to look at it, just the way the club did.

    0
  • magscar

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:32 AM

    Comment #12

    AC and BandB
    Club might have managed to get in temp safe pair of hands , we’ll see but whatever kind of Coach he is he isn’t going to cut it in press briefings. In honeymoon period at present and already clear he won’ t be able to work them as Pardew did. Club with their lack of a public spokesman (Charnley doesn’t want the gig and couldn’t hack it anyway) are going to have to hope that next 15-16 weeks pass without trouble off the field as well as on it as Carver is limited to the ghost of SBR for inspiration in press briefings. OK now and again but is already growing stale.

    0
  • Ibizatoon

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:32 AM

    Comment #13

    Croftus…It is quite funny though. A few weeks ago it was considered good news by the club that Santon was coming back.

    Most of us thought that was to add to our sporting efforts.

    As always, getting rid of players who aren’t going to contribute is smart business. It’s just that it stops there. Still, I’m sure this summer it’ll be rectified.

    0
  • Ibizatoon

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:34 AM

    Comment #14

    JDDubai…That’s exactly why he left, you’re not wrong.

    Let’s hope we don’t get an injury or good forbid two.

    0
  • Jeff from Benwell

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:34 AM

    Comment #15
  • BandB

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:36 AM

    Comment #16

    Ibiza,

    I have always said the ideal would be 11-14 first-teamers, most capable of playing in a range of positions and about six youngsters hyped to the teeth as if they were all future internationals. The rest will be schoolboys…sorry, it’s scholars isn’t it?
    The purples plan is alive and kicking as far as I can see.

    0
  • Ibizatoon

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:39 AM

    Comment #17

    BandB…I lost my colour chart last season, so I’m totally lost now with regards to how many we have. 14 sounds extremely expensive mind – do we really need 3 purples on the bench, when would the scholars get a look in?

    Despite having a horrendous injury record we seem to think we’ve had our fair share for this season and all will be fine.

    Well, off to work for me. Have a fun day one and all.

    0
  • croftus5678

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:40 AM

    Comment #18

    from the looks of it if my math’s are correct what i can find out is that if we choose to keep them and play them then these players will need numbers next season;

    good
    streete
    satka
    fergie
    bigi
    campbell

    0
  • Jeff from Benwell

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:41 AM

    Comment #19
  • Laurent Robert 32

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:42 AM

    Comment #20

    Champions League winner couldn’t get in ahead of Paul ‘panic in possession’ Dummett… I do like Haidara though.

    0
  • sickandtired

    Feb 7, 2015 at 10:02 AM

    Comment #21

    A squad of 21 players left (we have no room for signings said Charnley only weeks earlier), and for some reason that includes the invisible man Ferryra (and a crocked Saylor who won’t play the rest of the season).
    Anyone arguing about good business needs explain to me WhyTF Ferryra is still here?

    0
  • KevinLee

    Feb 7, 2015 at 10:13 AM

    Comment #22

    Dummett is championship player

    0
  • one fine day

    Feb 7, 2015 at 11:06 AM

    Comment #23

    Croftus
    From that list I think Campbell and fergie need to go they have struggled on loan,bigi is a poss if he does well at rangers/ tiote is off loaded in the summer.i think jury’s out on other three but the cynic in me thinks maybe they will be kept on if only to fill the squad on low wages so penfold can use the ” our squad has a full quota” card

    0
  • one fine day

    Feb 7, 2015 at 11:15 AM

    Comment #24

    Dumnet is a competent centre half no more than that .he offers nothing at left back . The only real reason I think santon has gone rather than dumnet is that someone wanted him .When we have Aaron’s and obetan out why wasn’t he given a chance on the wings even off the bench for a few games .

    0
  • NEWEXPATMAGPIE

    Feb 7, 2015 at 11:23 AM

    Comment #25

    Santon has only been Loaned out with an Option to buy?

    If he is surplus to requirements then why is he just not been sold !

    Plus, if he is as bad a Player as some of you people on here seem to think why are Internationale wanting to take him off our hands ! He is an Italian International for crying out LOUD ! He is probably frustrated coz at the moment he can,t get in the Team, having just come back from a bad knee injury, the best solution and to get him games is to loan him out, and his best option was Inter !

    He is not, as far as i know off our Wage bill until he,s sold to them. Maybe there will be a Geordie Lass emigrating if he is sold but then i would not sell him !

    0
  • jimnufc

    Feb 7, 2015 at 9:00 PM

    Comment #26

    Surely I have more experience , because in three and a half years , I scored a hundred appearances for England . I did not play from 9 months to an injury , but I came here to get involved and why this is my house : I grew up ” are the words of Davide Santon , again under Inter, presented at Appiano Gentile . ” Tanti describe me as a Milan fan – then explains the defender – but I’m here and support Inter . Balotelli ? Yes , we feel . Will react , respond on the field . “

    0

You must log in to post a comment.