Carver Talks About The Dark Days

Newcastle will play Stoke City at home today in a 2:05 pm kick-off game and a win is really what we need, and it reminds us of our 1-0 loss at Stoke last September, which was definitely the low point of the season.

alan  pardew last night stoke 1-0

Alan Pardew – after the 1-0 loss at Stoke

That was our sixth game of the season and we had not won and had only collected a meager three points and we were second bottom sandwiched between Burnley at the bottom and QPR at 3rd bottom.

No we are in 11 place on 30 points after 23 games and 10 points above Burnley and 11 points above QPR.

The loss at Stoke was the time when we thought Pardew was going to be fired, but it didn’t happen – even though the Sack Pardew crowd were at their most active in that game, and the chants and banners were in full cry.

Before the game Mike Ashley was quoted at his local pub as saying that Pardew was gone if we lost at Stoke, but the Newcastle owner had said he was only joking.

And then after a good draw at Stoke,  we got our first win at home to Leicester 1-0 almost two weeks later, and we also won the next five.

But Alan Pardew walked out on the club after the Everton game in late December, and not much resistance was put up by the club to his leaving.

John Carver remembers that game in the rain at Stoke on September 29th:

“It was a strange situation — I’ve never experienced that in my life. What happened at Southampton wasn’t anywhere as near as intimidating, as what it was at Stoke that night.”

“I had a real empty feeling inside and I wasn’t sure where we were going to go. But I did trust and believe in the manager because I knew how strong he was.”

“I knew he could deal with it and that gave me strength. I saw him not running away from the situation and that gave us the belief to see it through.”

“He didn’t walk away and we went on that terrific run from that point. It was one of the lowest points of the season, absolutely.”

Hopefully John Carver will have reminded the players of that game and the feeling after the defeat.

It would be terrific if we can get the win today, and then we face Crystal Palace on Wednesday night at Selhurst Park, and that’s a game we cannot lose.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• blew

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Carver Talks……..and talks, and talks.

• JDdubai

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:09 AM

No mention of Sir Bobby in this, cant be from JC surely?

• JAMSHA(CARVER SLAYER)

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:10 AM

boring… beta wait for the match than…read carvers nonsens

• JAMSHA(CARVER SLAYER)

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Rafa Benitez is interested in a return to the
    Premier League as Newcastle manager.

• Tsunki

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:14 AM

Yeah this is becoming a feature, and not necessarily a good one, Carver talks about anything and everything. What next jc? Your thoughts on tax evasion and the complicity of British dependencies? The origins of the Sea People on coastal Palestine? Baggage retrieval problems at East Midlands airport? And how all of these things are linked to Sir Bobby? Do go on. We’re all ears.

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:17 AM

blew
    Some find it interesting
    If you don’t
    Don’t read it
    Simples

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Same for you tsunki
    You whinge about Carver being a verbose pr*ck then do a passable impression of one yourself

• magscar

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Recent chats/scraps on here and the reaching of a land mark age ( well I am now an official OAP) have caused me to ponder my years as a a NUFC fan.
    An excellent starting point is the quote at the top of this blog headed “what is a Football Club” from SBR.
    Contained in it is actually “What is a fan” and many on here will recognise in themselves the last 2 para’s. I only say “many” as others have found their way here by less direct routes not having been born on Tyneside. Relatives being a common source but even others wih stranger connections like intermittent poster Sgt Hegarty who had his biblical Damascus moment out in that part of the world on his Gulf war tour of duty. Others have worked or studied in the city or liked the “entertainers” or an underdog from afar. There are many ways to have fallen under the spell of this club and none are more worthy than any other even if you haven’t had the benefit of standing /sitting in SJP.

AS a fan long exiled from Tyneside ( but with regular returns although not so many nowadays) I as many others will have done have had the great experience of defending my love against fans of other teams. Surprisingly having never worked and therefore debated my love in Liverpool, Chelsea or Manchester a lot of the chiding came from fans of those teams. In fact I have been responsible for indirectly inflicting pain on my son and grandsons by bringing them up in the faith. Then watching them suffer ridicule as they wear their toon shirts at their local village and school clubs amongst the glory hunters in the blues and reds ( lighter blues even in recent times) very character forming.

Anyway my latest ramble has 2 interlinked points one a major one. That is – WE are the heart and soul of this club and despite the despondency of some remember that neither is for sale unless you let it be so. Consequently it follows that Ashley cannot rip out the heart and soul of this club no matter what else he does unless you let him defeat you. We are not to be bought and sold. Yes we get fed up and stop going/watching on TV, argue with each other and at times the seed of support has no choice for some but to lie dormant whilst they have a sabbatical before being inevitably drawn back in. I personally know some in the latter camp who stated there were never going again ( and meant it!) but did as their heart overode commonsense yet again and again.
    That leads me to my second point which I have touched on recently. The bane of most club’s fans’ lives is that only a few clubs can win anything in a season given the trophies available and the PL has become a closed shop with the cups being a little more open to all but not every season. For most the happiest part of the season is before a ball has been kicked when anything again seems possible before reality bites. Many of us feel denied of even that short spell of optimism by the current regime and I see why. Attractive football being the fall back attraction has not often been seen either.
    I am not sure when NUFC fans can truly wrap themselves in those fans’ aspirations again. Off blog different groupings have formed to no real effect. Some posters give a call to arms but it is an illusion (well intended and heartfelt as it is) to think any of us on here carry a voice that can be turned into widespread action in the real world. Someone please prove me wromg.
    But the very thing that brought us into being that fan (if you feel SBR’s defintion fits you) i.e
    “……and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love”

is what then condemns all fans to have to suffer when things are against them.

Ashley won’t be here forever and in the absence of any realistic plans to hasten his exit that same love means we have no choice but to wait for better times again. Yes he could when he goes leave a club stripped of assets ( not certain how likely that is as yet) but what he can’t do is leave one stripped of it’s fans unless we do that for him. That is my point to “WAIT” – as dormant and /or as angry as you like but don’t stop being a fan of your club.

For me even if the worst happens and he leaves our club in ashes I have to believe that we can and will rise from them because that is what we fans do.

• Ron Knee

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:31 AM

magscar
    You write: Supporting Newcastle is ‘very character forming’. Never a truer word!

• Tsunki

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Good ramble Magscar.

Jeffy like posting. Jeffy like being a WUM.

• magscar

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Tsunki

It could only wind you up if you let it

• Tsunki

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Jeff I think if you read my post again, I don’t mention verbose or that other naughty word but I see you added it to ascribe it to me. Touché Sir, Touché!

I was commenting that JC could do better than talking himself out of the job he’s trying to talk himself into. He’ll fall into a trap one day.

Of course, I could leave you with a quote –

Jeff from Benwell // Feb 8, 2015 at 9:17 AM

blew
    Some find it interesting
    If you don’t
    Don’t read it
    Simples

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Often wondered about your name and surmised you were an exile
    I postulated various theories to myself
    Mag Scar -Scarborough Ravenscar Scarsdale
    Mags Car – Carlisle Cardiff (heaven forfend) or further afield Cartegena
    Any way canny piece and happy (belatedly )birthday

• Tsunki

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Magscar – it boils down to the fact that, with a few exceptions, we are all here on this blog because of our club, despite the wide gulf of opinion.

• one fine day

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:45 AM

repost from yesterday ;

one fine day // Feb 8, 2015 at 1:19 AM
    expat,
    Agree the real problem is ashley.
    But I still believe Pardue was implicated heavily in the way things were done behind the scenes by ashley.

Problem is any coach who is strong enough to stand up to ashley and make demands simply wont be hired .end of.

A few on here seem to think we made a mistake letting him go ,not me ,only mistake I think was not telling him to go at end of the season in which case palace may not have been as interested and the chance to offload him would be gone and with it the 4 mill stuffed under fatty’s pillow.

Pardue is on a honeymoon period right now but true form will return next season once he puts his stamp on things.
    he is arguably having success with someone else’s team in the same way martinez last year looked like a genius when all he was doing was getting the best out of a lot of the work Moyes had put in developing some very good youngsters.

Pardue’s best season for us was sheer luck in a lot of ways and it wasn’t really “his ” team.
    He inherited most of it from Chris Hughton, who was treated as disgracefully as Shearer.
    Only the following season did we see his true style.

Unlike what Pardue will have us believe i’m sure he was told who was to be sold on every occasion ,the problem being he has such an ego he even thought even loosing players such as Ba would not be an issue such was his opinion of himself as a coach.
    The game away on wednesday night will a hard one to watch in lots of ways but I’d give my left one (in Jest) for three points ,even better if its cabella who does the damage.

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Tsunki
    Nice riposte

• magscar

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Tsunki

referring to all NUFC fans of course not just those on here and in fact it is true in a general sense for all fans except any glory hunters who think they are in love but it is just temporary infatuation.

Jeff

Good call – North Yorks so still leaves a few options

• Tsunki

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Font know what to think about today’s game. I suppose much depends on how Sparky wants to set up his stall. He can deaden the game in traditional stoke style or have a real charge at us from the off.

Whatever happens it’ll be interesting to see how the likes of Cabella, Anita, Sammy shape up to this type of team these days. I’m rooting for Carver to have a good run, after alls said and done. He may not be first choice, but he’s johnny on the spot. And if he got us into the top six end of season and looked good doing it, I might even not be worried about keeping him on. There, I said it.

• Tsunki

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Font. Really?

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Magscar
    You never know who’s reading
    So I will limit myself to saying I have done the Lyke Wake Walk a few times when younger and fitter ,
    nudge nudge wink wink (taps side of nose like Eric Idle)

• Tsunki

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Ko at 2.05. Got to love Sky. Off now, much to do.

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Tsunki they should play Varela round in the 1st half and change to Gothic sans caption in the 2nd

• HarriboNo9

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:15 AM

** Jeff From Benwell **

Totally agree with you, it’s so irratating that people are constantly taking the piss out of carver! I am actually enjoying all these stories and hearing from things internally that we don’t normally get to hear. Sir Bobby is a legend who believes in Carver so that must mean something and I for one want carver to do well and stay on of so,
    If people don’t want to hear his interviews stop reading them ffs

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Harribo
    There were regular posters on here last week taking the p**s out of his accent
    He’s a Geordie managing the Toon ffs

• chasing_rabbits

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:36 AM

I’m not judging Carver just yet. Apart from the Leicester game where I don’t believe he was playing to win, he’s coming off the back of 2 defeats to 2 very good sides, and he’ll have kicked himself harder than he needed to over that. But we are in a strong position to take wins from the next two games so I’m still pretty optimistic. Then go into the week off on a high and get ready to be the next team to cause an upset at the Etihad!!

• manxpie

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Did something happen last night that killed the blog?

…I am beginning to suspect the night crawlers are no good for this blog…I remember the likes of Manx (sorry if you take offence) ruining it for everyone else. So ay night time you simply logged off.

Jesper wat you on about? Would you like to elaborate on that?

• manxpie

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Jesper you have sum ego like!

I mean you and Geordietwo’s takeover of threads talking complete bollocks for a hundred posts had nothing to do with it did it? no offence 🙂

• jimmysmith

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:46 AM

The Potters. At home. Good grief!

Comfortable two nil win to the lads.

Perez, Cabella and Sissoko the difference.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Manx…not much to tell! It just seemed the late night activities on the blog sort of put a damper on everything…

…you know like in the old days! Like I said no offense meant!

• wolfshead@toon

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:52 AM

jesper

did you still read the blog during your self imposed exile?

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:53 AM

These Scandiavians are clever
    Take Jesper for example
    As well as fluent Danish (naturally) and English
    He is also fluent in Gibberish

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Oh !
    No offense btw

• manxpie

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Very weird to bring my name into it jesper just because the blogs been dead

Maybe you should start something that people will reply too instead of digging me out and talkin shit then jesper no offence!

• magscar

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Jeff@20

Good on you – have talked about doing it ( usually in pub when it always seemed a great idea) but never pulled it off. Done some walks around Ravenscar Robin Hood’s Bay area and been to most places on the walk itself but at different times and by car 🙂

Think age well against me now for a 40 mile trek and without support but I am a veteran of 7 GNR and 3 Geordie runs but some years back now.

Hesitate to give too much away as I can seem to attract those who offer to chin others and definitely too old for those shenanigans.

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Watching goals on Sunday at the mo’
    Didn’t rate Defoe signing for the village of the damned but he’s starting to look a bit warm.
    Oh dear I can feel derby day blues coming on.

• toon kk

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:07 AM

The blog often becomes quiet because there’s very little to be positive about, when you have a owner with no ambition, a squad lacking in quality and fans with very little to get excited about its bound to have an effect.

• Slank

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Magscar @ 8

Lovely post from a fellow OAP fart who has also infected upon his sons the curse of following the Toon which is not too far aware from cruelty !

• AncientC

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Oh, looks like Carver has opened his mouth and words came out again… how evil.

Thanks for the years of service Carver, now you get to be a hate figure for your bother.

• magscar

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Toon kk

Conversely those are some of the reasons we get a lot of heat generated on here 🙂

• magpie6699

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:12 AM

magscar – from someone who is pretty close to you in age and has supported the “Magpies” for 50+ years, (I don’t remember them being called “The Toon” when I were a lad – sorry), I recognise a lot of truth in what you say.
    What really bugs me are the posters who come on here hurling insults at people who still go to the games despite Ashley, Pardew etc. – calling us sheep, idiots, or even worse (in relation to MA’s nether regions!).
    Many times in my life I have hated the regime (Westwood, McKeag anybody?) and/ or the manager (e.g. Gordon Lee) but that has not not prevented my foolish love for MY club and MY team. That is why I CHOOSE to go to the match, pay money that will end up in Mr Ashley’s coffers etc. etc. I do not disrespect those who have chosen not to go, nor does it mean I am an Ashley lover or whatever. I have seen a lot worse over the years in terms of league positions, style of play, carthorses on the pitch, than applies at the moment. Do I want more? Of course – a cup win would be nice. But I cannot imagine not supporting my team and going to see them, if I am able. OK, people?

1 2 3 5