We Shot Ourselves In The Foot

Jack Colback put in a solid performance yesterday, after having a rather quiet game (for him) at Hull City last week, and he scored his third goal of the season.

Jack Colback scores StoleTl

Jack Colback scoring after 74 minutes yesterday

The local lad from Killingworth had this to say after the 1-1 draw yesterday:

“We’ve got to manage the game better towards the end.” “We shot ourselves in the foot really in a game we probably didn’t deserve to win.”

“A draw would have been deserved for both sides but once you get in that position and look at the chances we have, you have to take the three points.”

“It’s two now in front of the Gallowgate End and it’s always a special moment.” “It came from Gabby when he came on. He was put on to stretch the game with the pace he’s got and it worked.”

“He put in Moussa and as soon as he laid it off I knew I was going to hit it.” “It’s nice to see it go in but sad that it’s not the winning goal. We have to see the game out but we didn’t manage it.”

“In fairness it was an unbelievable header at the end that only Crouch could score.”

Those are good words from Jack, and he’s right that if the game had been played out to a 0-0 draw without us going ahead with just 16 minutes to go, we would have felt a lot better about the point this morning.

We do have an excellent opportunity to put things right at Crystal Palace on Wednesday night, and then it’s a long 10 days before our next game at Manchester City a week on Saturday, so it would be good to get a (good) win on Wednesday night.

A defeat against Alan Pardew’s new club would be very hard to take – especially after what happened yesterday.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• scout

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:26 AM

just hope we beat palace on Wednesday. That would be great.

• Markaccus

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Colback had a poor game yesterday appart from the goal.

• optimistic prime

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:30 AM

We where poor from start to finish, slightly better when formation changed but disappointed in Carver for not changing sooner.
    Same problems from side who played Hull where obvious.

• davetoon

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Agree with a previous poster that Stoke passed much better than us. We struggle to make more than 2 or 3 forward passes without giving the ball away. Its so frustrating to watch.

• jimiley

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:47 AM

47K at the ground yesterday. Perhaps the dim wits are slowly, ever so slowly, realizing that the only way to change the regime is to stay away. I have heard more noise in a coffin. Where is the pleasure? If Carver can get a couple more wins, he is nailed on to keep the job. The new toady to replace Pards.

• Markaccus

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Way to unite fans, Jim! Call them dimwits! What a great bloke you are!

• firebug666

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Mark

I don’t think the fans could ever be united, There not dimwits, but we have to many differing opinions regarding Ashley, the Head Coach, the football.

Some of the divisions are just too wide to ever hope of a united fan base that would be capable or forcing changes.

• martoon

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:07 AM

jimiley @5 – The reason the crowd was lower was because it was Stoke, live on the Telly at 2.00pm on a Sunday. So it was only us ‘dimwits’ with ST’s who went whereas the casual ticket sales were down for the above reasons. A pity you don’t have the class of your user name!

• Markaccus

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Firebug

Yeah but i people coming on and baiting others just because they are in a bad mood doesn’t help matters. Why does he feell the need to drive a wedge between fans of the same club. Sad, really.

• Markaccus

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:20 AM

-i

• mindshaft

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:24 AM

really can’t see us beating Palace – we look even worse under Carber than we did under Pardew – I thought that was impossible but somehow Carver has managed it

• stuart no9

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:27 AM

firebug—– i’m afraid they are dimwits. How long ? justn haow many times have they to be told that staying away is the only reason ashley would sell . Ok people have already bought their tickets ( wouldnt bother me, i would just cut my losses) and would feel aggrievd to stay away – but its the only way, so these people who go and have to sit through that – is their problem , noooooo sympathy.

• hibbit

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:28 AM

SBR 50000 fans 50000 opinions

• BandB

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Martoon,

I do not think it is worth attempting to persuade those who wish to go to matches to see things my way.
    I stopped going because I came to the conclusion that finishing fifth, then setting a target of eighth and then 10th was not the spiel I’d received at my last renewal.
    Others do not see it that way.
    These are my principles, and as a fellow fan, you don’t have to empathise with my position. Which you don’t.
    The official mindset is “good riddance” isn’t it?
    So why do you make such a point of demanding fellows fans offer your position a respect that is not reciprocated?
    Or do you have to have it all?

• firebug666

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:36 AM

stuart no9

But every time a ST holder gives up his ticket there is always someone else ready to buy it up.

Families who just want a day out with the kids have replaced the main fan base, this is part of the reason the atmosphere at the ground has dropped off.

The singing section was disassembled, a lot of the hard core fans left in protest only to be replaced by the quiet families, and those that have less passion for the game and just want to watch a game of football.

Ashley’s plan in all it’s glory, for all the world to see. Rangers will be next.

They are not Dimwits, just people who want to see a football game.

• BandB

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Also, I wish you would honest about it Martoon.
    And not use the circular argument that you’ve paid for your season ticket so you have to go and you have to go because you’ve paid for your season ticket.
    Thousands have thrown in their season tickets. Each of them as good a fan as you. Clearly, there are choices.

Mark,

Respect cuts both ways. I’ve been called a fair-weather fan, a Mackem and of cause, a negger.
    If anyone wants to check the OED, the definition of that tedious word Negativity is not “the act of disagreeing with one’s opinions.”

• BandB

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:47 AM

firebug,

I want to see a football game too.
    Are you suggesting those who stay away on principle don’t want to watch their team?
    Wow!

• firebug666

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:51 AM

BandB

Not at all, I am suggesting that those that have given up their tickets in protest have been replaced by those who just want to watch a game of football, who will turn up without complaint, and sit through whatever is served up.

My comments are not meant to belittle fans in any way, just to show they way support at SJP has changed since Ashley arrived.

• martoon

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:51 AM

• stuart no9

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:52 AM

firebug —- but are they really seeing a football game. Fire bug , your talking 50,000 people – 50,000 would not be replaced if everybody stayed away , ok you might get some who would go for the cheap tickets , but 50,0000 ?????? never . Once these people ( who would not be NUFC fans- football fans maybe ) realised the shyte that was being served up there, would they go back ??? bearing in mind they couldnt give a flying F@@K about NUFC . They would soon realise there are more pleasureble things to do, like visiting the mother in law, goingto the dentist , or doing the weekly washing in the local laundarette, that to endure 90 painful minutes in the freezing cold wishing they had never bought thier F@@king tickets in the first place . Yes, they would soon stop – never to be seen again

• martoon

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:57 AM

BandB @16 – Not quite true – my argument is that if we have already paid for our season tickets then a boycott will make absolutely no difference to Ashley’s pocket. Yes the visual effect of a half empty ground will make an impact but do you honestly think MA would give a damn?

• stan anderson

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Sorry to say this but i hope Pardew beats us on Wed. as it may make people realise what we,ve got running the team now.
    I was as pleased as anyone when the inept Pardew moved on but i was hopeful of a move in the right direction and the club at least trying to bring in a better quality coach/manager.
    But no we make do with a Geordie fair enough,who is not as talented as the inept Pardew.
    Slimy slug just go,please.

• BandB

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:00 AM

martoon,

I’m all for a bit of fan fellowship.
    But as I said to Mark, the contempt and name-calling is not limited to one side of the argument.
    And while being called names doesn’t boil my own pee, I find being called names by people who then get very precious about being called names a trifle annoying.

• Go toon gooooo

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Jack Colback is not a bad player and nothing more than that.His role is not scoring goals.And Sissoko hasn’t brain for the upper half of the pitch.Haidara and Cabella are 2 of the 5 best players in the PL.John Carver is average manager.If fans want average results then he is OK.Perez is surely not Kun Aguero.Janmaat is far from good right back.Anita will be great right back.If Carver doesn’t bring back Sissoko as a DM his loses will be simply routine.

• catchy in norway

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:02 AM

I don’t know how many have seen the stats from the game yesterday ,

IMO we are getting worse as a team , charver can say what he likes but his team yesterday were domanaited by an average stoke team , his team selection was right out of the p45 school book,

passing was poor ,307 passes 76% complete, stoke had 432 with 75% complete

we only had 41 % possession at home ,

I feel sorry for Perez , p45 might as well still be here as he had nothing , had to make his own stuff,

other than colbacks goal, he was poor yet Anita was subbed ,

Williamson had a shocker , Walters won everything in the air or ground against him, as do most forwards

obertan is not a footballer , he doesn’t think like a footballer , he is just fast , but without the ball,

charvers gameplan is just play Cabbela ,

the game v palace is going to be poor

• firebug666

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:04 AM

stuart no9

Would you get 50,000 just stopping going?

It’s the trickle effect, a few stop going and they are replaced, then a few more stop and they are replaced. This is the way it is, without a leader who could united the fans and get them to sing from the same hymn book, you will never get a mass boycott.

There will also be a percentage who will always go because they believe that is the right thing to do. I choose not to go, that is my choice, other choose to go. We cannot stop them, it’s not our choice to make for them.

I agree that a lot that go now will be football supporters but not necessarily NUFC supporters. Those that do go to the match and then come on here regale us with tales of how quiet the ground is, the question is why?

Is it because the fans have given up on this season?
    Is it because there are not enough NUFC fans left in the ground to make the noise?

• BandB

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:09 AM

martoon@21,

I get the attendance argument.
    But I’m equally sure it has absolutely nothing to do with your decision.
    You can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs.
    And you don’t want to make an omelette.
    Be frank about it.

• Small World

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:12 AM

martoon // Feb 9, 2015 at 10:51 AM

“BandB @14 – I completely understand why some fans don’t go anymore and I respect them for sticking to their principles. However it also really boils my p*ss when they take the moral high ground and slag off fans who still attend games suggesting we are all mindless idiots who cannot form our own opinion. If you read any of my previous posts I am alway consistent with this view.”

– with you totally. Like you, I suspect – I was there long before Ashley and will be there long after he has gone and the actions of an owner are not going to put you off going to the game.

With respect to the usual argumentative wind up merchants on here – just remember the old maxim:-

Never argue with an idiot. They’ll only drag you down to their level then beat you on experience.

• John Tudor

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:14 AM

plain and simples F.O.Ashley and your plonkers

• stuart no9

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:16 AM

firebug — ofcourse your right, 50,000 would never stop going , but to be honest i thought more fans would have seen the light by now. i really thought we would be touching low forties by now , so to see high forties still attending is, for me, is dissapointing . I say for me because i want my ticket back in the milburn stand and i know as long as ashley is there , someone can keep it warm for me untill he goes – then i’ll have it back.

• John Tudor

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:18 AM

so speaks the biggest

• BandB

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Small World,

You are a very different type of poster to Martoon.
    One of those who cannot complete an argument with calling his opponent an idiot. Awarding yourself a knock-out in the process.
    Knock yourself out.
    I wonder if martoon is chuffed with that type of support?
    I hope and think he won’t be.

• firebug666

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:20 AM

stuart no9

Having give up you ticket mate, and after Ashley goes it may not be so easy to get it back. I hope you can like.

One thing is for certain with this club, and that is the only loyalty is from the fans.

• beermonkey

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:23 AM

until a group or groups come together with a plan ie this is what we want and this is how we are going to get it,
    then nothing will change

at the moment its a personal choice in how you protest

rangers are far more organised than we are yet there average attendance in 30 k per home game this season
    but then if they didn’t go they would have to fold so I spose they have different reasons to go

• stuart no9

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:31 AM

being called a dimwit is different from being called an idiot. my wife calls me a dimwit all the time but never an idiot. A dimwit could be seen as a term of endearement as opposed to being called an idiot.

• cyprus

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:31 AM

So now we are turning on ST holders?!

Although I watch every single game, I rarely go, so I could easily climb on a high horse.

In truth, I’m envious.

• martoon

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:35 AM

BandB – I’m not sure why you’ve suddenly trained your sights on me but if you are suggesting I call other posters names and then complain when they reciprocate I think you’ll find I never name call (or very rarely – perhaps in the heat of an argument).
    On the ST thing I’ve also been very consistent with my argument that as I pay by DD I have to decide by the end of this month whether to renew or not – I have to make a judgement call whether we will have a new head coach and even whether MA will still be the owner next season. Assuming I renew (which I probably will) I’ve always argued that I consider my ST money goes towards running the club and staff & player wages and NOT into MA’s pocket as shown in the accounts.
    I do not buy from NUFC shops or matchday food which has been shown does go directly to MASH holdings.

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:52 AM

The opportunity to make a group statement could have made a big visual impact on the walkout last season. You want group participation, there needs to be group action.

A few thousand walked out on the 60th/69th minute and it was a start, it could have been continued this year with more publicity, but as people have said, the odd one not showing up is just filled by another non-regular attendee. They’re probably quieter fans if they’re not used to going, not knowing the songs etc.

Even if people did stop going, Ashley would still rake in the TV money, although time went on, the players would want away from playing in an empty stadium, thus lowering the quality of player which we can attract and see us closer to relegation.

Still, action is better than no action.

• firebug666

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Laurent Robert 32

And if we were relegated, with poorer player because of an empty stadium we would be no longer the cash cow Ashley desires, and would most likely run at a loss without the TV money.

Not much TV exposure so his SD advertising covering every surface would be pretty pointless.

Would he go, you bet he would, not profit no Ashley.

Just saying, of cause we will never see an empty stadium.

• toon kk

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:06 PM

I used to really look forward to match day at SJP, the atmosphere was brilliant, the football was entertaining, now I don’t go anymore. Now its usually dross football and a silent SJP.
    I can’t make a decision for anyone else and wouldn’t want to. But people have got to decide what they want. Before the club dies, and it will if Mash doesn’t pull his finger out.