John Carver Makes A Strange Claim About His Record

John Carver is making some strange claims about his recent record at Newcastle, after the boring 1-1 draw last night, and he says that since taking over as the head coach at Newcastle he is unbeaten in three games.

john carver in dugout

John Carver last night in the dugout

This is some of what John Carver said after the game at Palace last night:

“Again it is not a classic but every single point in the Premier League is crucial.” “As we saw at the weekend there are a lot of draws because there are fine lines and thin margins. I think tonight I’ll take a point.”

“There was a lot of hype about Alan and myself. We’re good friends – that’s where it ended.” “I was in control of Newcastle United and that’s all I was focused on.”

“I didn’t even know he was in the other dugout. I was focused on the game.” “It was a good night. ”

“I’ve now had three games since getting the head coach job and it’s three unbeaten. We could be sitting here with nine points but it’s five and I’ll take it.”

But John has had a full seven games in charge since he was appointed the caretaker manager after the Everton home game, and you cannot ignore the results of those first four games.

They were three defeats and one draw – and the draw was against Burnley when we went ahead three times and couldn’t hold out for the win.

And that’s basically what’s happened in the last two games, and certainly if we could have had two wins against Stoke and Crystal Palace that would have been so much better.

And if we had just one of the last two games we would have been in 9th place in the league – but it wasn’t to be.

We suppose it’s OK that we haven’t been beaten in three games, but these game have not been against the top teams – and those games are still to come.

That starts at Manchester City a week on Saturday, and they hammered Stoke 4-1 at the Britannia Stadium last night.

Unbeaten runs don’t mean much these days since the rules were changed eons ago to give three points for a win and not two, and wins are what count.

You can also technically go through a season unbeaten and end up with just 38 points.

John Carver has been coach in seven Newcastle games, and he has won one, drawn three and lost three.

And in the six games played in the league we have one win and three draws and 6 points – equivalent to a 38 points season.

That’s not a good record for somebody who is trying to impress and get the head coach job permanently.

And for the record Alan Pardew left exactly half way through the season with 26 points from 19 games, and that’s equivalent to a 52 points full season.

And Pardew also won two games in the Capital One Cup before we were knocked out at Tottenham.

Should John Carver Be The Head Coach At Newcastle?

Loading ... Loading ...

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Ron Knee

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Lilongwe
    Agreed. This surely means a lack of confidence, which is generally fatal.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:03 AM

Jail,
    Is that right? 38 points? Not exactly impressive, and potentially a relegation battle. Not this year though, I reckon 35 will see teams safe this year. Whether there are mitigating circumstances during his ‘caretaker’ role is debatable, but I have read in several places this morning him and other journos talking about him being unbeaten since getting the job.

Firebug,
    I am not going to worry about next year until we know what is going to happen this summer. I have a feeling JC is currently playing himself out of contention, so hopefully that means we will see someone else. Will be interesting to see who goes to QPR and Villa.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Lil,
    I think I worked it out correctly. 38/6 = 6.33 x 6 = 38.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Ron Knee,
    Yeah, confidence within this squad seems fragile, and has done for a long time now. Stems from having few leaders, few people who can rally their team mates, and cajole performances from them. The staff including Pardew couldn’t last season, so why the board think the same staff can this season is daft.

We need invention, fresh ideas and some impetus. Even if it is as much as a new member to the coaching staff, someone who can get in and amongst the players and lift the spirits. Watson, Stone, Carver, Beardsley, Woodman – who on earth out of that lot brings vibrancy to training, enjoyment and lifts the players? Nobody.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:12 AM

Jail,
    I wasn’t saying you hadn’t I just couldn’t be bothered to do the maths. Wasn’t querying your working mate. In my mind though it did feel like it should be slightly more for some reason.

I guess that is down to the way I read it elsewhere,” 2 defeats in 6″. If I’d read it as “1 win in 6” I think 38 might have sounded high! Whereas “3 draws in 6” would sound right for 38.

• LeedsMag

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:12 AM

No coincidence to me that our poor run coincides with Sissoko’s loss of form ? playing for a move like Cabaye .Interesting to see what he’s like on the run in

• Harley

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:12 AM

I honestly couldn’t care less if the manager is a Geordie or a Georgian. I just want a competent manager who can get the best out of this team. And carver has proved he isn’t that man.

We are limping over the finish line and the only thing keeping me going is the thought of Ashley appointing a manager that will surprise us all and back him properly. Ridiculous I know !!

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Lil.
    I wasn’t suggesting you said I had just wasn’t sure I’d worked it out correctly myself .

• davetoon

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Can some of the 1232 people who voted yes for Carver post their reasons please

• Harley

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:16 AM

I was surprised cabella was so high on the poll. I thought he couldn’t get in to the game at all. Not for the want of trying though, but nothing seemed to come off for him.

That was definitely perez’s quietest game so far, he looked lost.

25m for sissokho?!!!! Yes please!!

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:18 AM

davetoon,
    Ask Santon 03 he seems in favour. I think some people want him just purely to agree with the regime.

• firebug666

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:18 AM

It’s sad to think that Carver once worked with the great Sir Bobby, but appears to have learned nothing.

We don’t know what goes on at training, or who comes up with our so called tactics, but judging by what we see on the pitch it cannot be very good.

None of our keepers know how to distribute the ball to our advantage.

Our passing in general is very poor, we have no fluidity going forward, our player are standing still waiting for the ball to come to them, we do not create any space, and our set plays are laughable.

Every team in the league knows exactly how we will set up and play.

• banjax

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:18 AM

It’s no good shooting the messenger. Any coach can only work with – what he’s got and whilst there some quality players at our club, the vast majority are not premier league quality. Other clubs are not stupid, they pay more more when they can for quality players and West Ham are an example of this. Since they were promoted, they have gradually bought quality to build up their squad and that investment is now starting to bear fruit. John Carver is doing the best he can with what he’s got and there is only the club owner to blame. If Mike Ashley doesn’t know what he needs to do in the Summer, then heaven help us !

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:20 AM

Harley,
    Agreed. It matters little to me if he is a Geordie or not. I just want a competent man who can develop players, devise tactical plans and deliver entertainment.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:21 AM

banjax,
    Surely it is apparent now that it is solely down to the owner, the reason Carver will get stick is because of the willingness he is showing to take what’s thrown at him in his desperation for the job. We want someone to move the club forward not Yosser Hughes.

• grem1983

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:23 AM

A few ppl on here aren’t understanding what he is saying, based on a full season under Carver we would finish on 38 points (1 point per game) not that we will get 38 points this season at current rate.

If Carver continues at the rate of a point per game average we will end up on 45 points

• davetoon

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:25 AM

No person has said they voted yes. Must be Carver voting himself 😉

• firebug666

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:29 AM

davetoon

Votes on the web get sabotaged by the makems mate, there will only be a small percentage of NUFC supporters voted yes.

• Thump

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:30 AM

“I was in control of Newcastle United and that’s all I was focused on.”

Huh. So that’s what he calls it.

• davetoon

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:30 AM

You must be right.

• sing in the corner

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:33 AM

On Ashley
    I can remember an argument with a mate down the pub years ago – he was loving the influx of glamorous foreign players into the Prem when SKY came in and the money arrived. Wanted to see the grounds improve, the pitches look green, watch top class football etc etc. My view was that SKY will kill football. Its happening, but not quite in the way I thought. The soul, atmosphere, working class letting off of steam have all gone.Of course it was far from a perfect match day experience! My main worry though is that even if Ashley sold up and left there are less and less dream owners now. This money is attracting a different animal into the game. The riches are there, the rewards for mediocrity plain to see. Get in the Prem, a vehicle for your business and a license to print money.

• toonarmydownsouth

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Harley
    Sadly his accent seems to be some peoples only justification in there claims “he’s doing a good job”

I’d love to know what that is based on, i really would
    The football, at best, is poor
    Our passing has regressed and is frankly Sunday league standard, we’ll perhaps string 2-3 moves together over 90 minutes, or like last night, none at all
    Our attackers look more isolated than ever, which i genuinely didn’t think was possible!
    Our defence is a shambles, yes options are limited but we seem even less organised than usual
    As for his substitutions a blind chimp could of told you that around the 55 minute mark something desperately needed to change and a sub had to be made
    His other bizarre claim last night is that he made a change and successful nullified Bolasie….did he f**k, to nullify him would of been to make the change BEFORE he set there goal up, which had been coming for some time

The bloke is inept, it’s that simple