Newcastle Star Surprised With Premier League

25 year-old Daryl Janmaat has found it hard in the Premier League since we signed him on a six year deal in the summer from Feyenoord for around £5M, and that after he had a good World Cup for Holland in Brazil.

elia beats janmaat

Daryl Janmaat – Newcastle right back

Daryl was a direct replacement for Mathieu Debuchy, who we sold to Arsenal for £12M in the summer, but unluckily Mathieu has had an injury hit season in London.

Janmaat has played 28 times with one goal for Newcastle this season, and he has made 25 appearances in the Premier League, making him the only ever present in the league at Newcastle.

This is what Janmaat has told BBC Newcastle:

“One thing I have learned is that here, every game is difficult. Away games, I think, in every league are difficult but also the home games here. Every team has quality, and power, and strength.”

“One thing I have learned is that here, every game is difficult.” “Away games, I think, in every league are difficult but also the home games here.”

“Every team has quality, and power, and strength. It’s a tough league but that makes it nicer.” “But here, every win is harder and you celebrate every win. In the Eredivisie, some games it’s just normal.”

“If you play in one of the big clubs in Holland like Feyernood, Ajax or PSV, you have that week where you say that it’s OK, you will win,”

We need Daryl to keep himself fit through the rest of the season since we are short of back four players, having already lost three experienced defenders this season, for one reason or another.

We sold Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa last month to Roma and loaned out Davide Santon to Inter-Milan on the final day of the January transfer window.

And we had already lost Steven Taylor to an Achilles injury on January 1st for the rest of the season.

But Newcastle still brought in no replacements last month and now there’s worrying news today that Paul Dummett could be out for eight weeks. 🙁

As we said, we need Daryl to keep fit for the rest of the season.

Manchester City at the Etihad is next up on Saturday afternoon and we don’t expect to get anything out of that game.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Manchester City

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Wow, what an incredible outlook from a professional sportsman. Anyone read Roy Keane’s autobiography (first one) where he talks about players only stepping their game up for the big matches. This seems like a similar attitude. I think it goes something like “if they played like that every week, they wouldn’t be playing for sh1t like Norwich”.

Daryl, that attitude is potentially why you would struggle to cut it at the very top, and have ended up at sh1t like Newcastle.

• davetoon

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Tbf he was comparing the attitude of players between leagues.

• hibbit

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:50 AM

repost……… beardsley was one of the best players ever to wear a black and white shirt but he is not a good coach and can not get his message across great player poor coach

• davetoon

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:54 AM

I think Janmaat has been a great purchase at £5M. Of course he’s not Williamson class though…

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:54 AM

OFD,
    In my opinion, Beardsley was largely underrated for most of his career. The fact that he and Phil Neville have the same number of England caps is a joke.

Yeah, there is a huge market potential out there. If a top player comes along from China, and one will someday, he could be the most valuable player ever due to the amount of potential his merchandising revenues and marketing potential could bring a club.

Same goes for Indian players. The lad I mentioned is a very highly thought of central defender, played in David James’ team in the Super league recently. 21, 6 foot 2 and supposedly calm and composed on the ball, able to bring it out of defence. Difficult to judge how good, given the level of opposition. I haven’t seen him play, just seen his name increasingly mentioned by Asian football experts and analysts.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:56 AM

davetoon,
    Yeah, but a pro athlete should be going out to perform to their best every week. Complacency hinders development, and is a mindset that can be difficult to shake if it becomes habitual.

• one fine day

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Repost from previous
    Sing in the corner
    Best memory of pb was in his first stint at home to Brighton he nicked the ball of the defender edge of the d and spun and curled on into the top corner .was in line and watched it leave his foot and just knew it was going in.
    Under the scoreboard went mental.
    I was still limping to school for the rest of the week .
    Really think we didn’t always realise what a player we had sometimes he was like our messi.
    You’d love to think he can show cabella his little step over that actually beats a defender

• davetoon

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:59 AM

True, I would almost say complacency has been our trademark over the past decade beating a lot of sides ahead of us and losing to sides that go on to be relegated.

Janmaat has been one of our most consistent players though. Most of the rest go missing for one reason or another

• one fine day

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Lilongwe Geordie,
    The sub continent could be a huge uncapped source of talent even though they are cricket mad. This new premier league hopefully will bring a few to the fore.
    We could do worse that look at it .
    Starting to think while Africa has some sublime talent with a small squad we need more balance as we seem to be seriously weakened every time the Afcon takes place mid season not to mention how many come back jaded or crocked

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:07 AM

OFD,
    The Asia Cup also happens mid season though. Ran concurrently with the AFCON this year.

• 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:12 AM

lilongwe re kemen have watched him a few times and he is a creative attacking player, the only similarity with tiote is he plays with a bit of fight / nasty at times sent off once for u18s and reserves also. think satka should automatically be cover for the defence as he is quite a good defender and is the only reserve one who is not a sicknote and can also cover rightback imo

• one fine day

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Lilongwe
    Scratch that then.
    Watched a bit of it to . Abdulrahman was my pick of the tournament.
    Maybe we go after welsh and Scottish players . No need to worry about them going to those annoying tournaments 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:19 AM

OFD,
    Abdul Rahman was superb in the tournament. His passing is exquisite at times. I will be surprised if he doesn’t appear on the European scene sooner rather than later. It could be England now after the UAE rose 14 places in the FIFA rankings to within the allowed range for Prem clubs to sign.

Why stop at Scottish and Welsh? I heard there are a couple of tidy San Marino players, cheap as well!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:22 AM

1949,
    Yeah, I’ve seen Kemen play, nice bit of aggression to his game, maybe too much, but we could do with a bit more controlled aggression and that should come with experience and age.

I was more commenting on the fact that Ryder automatically put him down as a Tiote type player, despite Beardsley saying the opposite in the article. The similarities with Tiote, aggression and erm, skin colour.

• Tsunki

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Once he gets over his short term memory problem I think he will be ok in the Pl. He also needs to link up better when he gets up on the right wing. Also his short term memory problem is a worry.

• one fine day

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Lilongwe,
    His vision is pretty special .he seemed be splitting defence with every pass frightening to think of what a top striker can do with that kind of through ball .
    What I liked about him was no matter where he picked the ball up he was looking to get it forward even from his own corner flag.
    I’m not talking lumping it ala willo either ,like a fifty yard diagonal ball behind the last man .if messi had done it we’d still be seeing it everywhere.
    Heard city were watching him but I swear if he was ever daft enough to sign for us ,I’d be on the next flight home

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:37 AM

OFD,
    City wanted him after the Olympics where he did well. They were hindered by the Prem rules on which countries you can sign players from, and the likelihood he wouldn’t have got a work permit, even if exceptional circumstances were granted. Now he should qualify for both.

Like you say, if his through ball in the final had been done by Gerrard the English media wouldn’t shut up about it, with Messi it would have been global news.

He would be daft to go to City. He needs that stepping stone club which would allow him to adapt, and then would be more than willing to allow him to leave as long as someone offered the appropriate wedge. Now, who can I think of that use that system? (I don’t think he would come here)

• one fine day

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Lilongwe Geordie
    Well we can dream
    He’d look the part in black and white
    And it will take someone like him to raise the spirits of a fan base that seems to be on life support these days

• geordie157

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Is Aarons back at the weekend? Think if we have a go at city with pace we can hurt them. A draw however would be a great result.

If Aguero and Bony are fit, i’m worried that Wilo and Colo could be in for a very long day.

Tempted to say give Satka, its a risk but realistically its a game to get out the way and move on from.

• Pop n Wyn

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Surely if we can there needs to be a centre back drafted in on loan, Dummett out until April at least, proablyb see Janmatt drafted in to centre half and Ryan Taylor put in at right back or Anita at right back with Abeid trying to tie down the Tiote midfield spot.

We are winging it yet again, playing with the club’s future, this Lee Charnley character seems a bit of an arrogant so n so as well, “let’s support John he says” negativity will get us nowhere!! Bloody cheek, John Carver no doubt grafting his bollocks off but you and the man at the top are going to be putting him under immeasurable pressure imo, i hope you Mr Charnley get in front of the cameras if it starts going the shape of the pear again !

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:03 AM

The way to go is to take a leaf out of van Gaal’s book and go 3 at the back Janmaat Colo Haidara .
    I like 3 – 5 – 2
    Years ago Venables did it with England with Southgate or Ince sitting in front – we’ve got Abeid or the ginger pirlo
    Janmaat played in it when Holland beat Spain 5 -1 in Brazil
    Then if you nick a goal you go 3 – 6 – 1 double bank the midfield and kill the game
    We are going to the Etihad for points not to entertain

• geordie157

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Have to say Beardsley is one of my all time players, the way he used to breeze past players was great to watch.

Might a be a long time until we have another legend at the club. Especially given the fact that Ashley will sell our potential star players like Perez.

It’s always baffled me why Rob Lee has never been involved at the club or even with his old lot down at Charlton. Just not sure what Steve Stone brings to the coaching staff, i thought he’d help with crossing but we are awful at crossing and corner too.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Jeff,
    Janmaat could probably do the role, but he didn’t play there for Holland, he played on the wide right. Martins Indi, Vlaar, and Van Dijk played the central defensive roles.

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Lilo
    I am racking my brains to keep poor old iron mike out of the Etihad firing line

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Jeff,
    Haha, I think we take the hit on this one. I’d be keen to see one of the younger lads given a chance, but not making their first start at the Etihad against Aguero and Bony! The home match against shot shy Villa should allow them to be eased in.

If we did go with the 3 of Janmaat, Colo and Haidara who would you have offering defensive support on the left and right? Zabaleta/Sagna or Clichy/Kolarov will get forward and that will put pressure on us defensively out wide.

• nut meg

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:29 AM

LILO & OFD
    I’ve just looked up Abdulrahman as I’d never seen or heard of him before.He’s only 23 years old and his contract runs out this summer at AL-AIN FC. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any player who has total control over a ball like this young lad has.I’ve took a real shine to after watching a 21minute video on you tube,here’s the link if anyone’s interested.
    Thanks for mentioning him on here,has made my day.

• Sav

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM

If Williamson or Colo gets injured they should make Lee Charmelss tog out and run out in front of 50,000 so we can tell him exactly what we think about it.

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Lilo
    At one time I would have happily used Jonas and Raylor but time marches on.
    Obertan just ain’t got a clue, a waste of Cabella , Goofy a willing grafter, Sami glides past defenders like a dream but they do the same to him , Sissoko like Cabella would be a waste .
    Jeez I think I might find some jobs to do around the house on Saturday teatime.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Jeff,
    Yeah, if we were to play 3 at the back I’d like Haidara and Janmaat as the wing backs, but that would require having competent centre halves….

I’ve got my first fundraising tournament on Saturday morning for the new academy I am setting up over here, hopefully that will wipe me out, and I fall asleep early Saturday evening!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:42 AM

nut meg,
    A pleasure mate. He is a real talent on the ball.

• clinath@ed

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Just watched the first 5 mins of that video Nut meg, and I’m sold. BUT, will he track back and cover his full back,mmmm? (Lol btw)!
    I was pushing for 3 at the back last summer, to help break in a youngster or two, but having seen them try it in Australia pre season, I was a bit worried. Have we the coaches to make it work? Never mind the players.

• one fine day

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:46 AM

nut meg
    I had heard a bit about him but watched a few games of him here in the asian cup .
    The guy is class
    seems to play for fun too.
    I think the only reason he wasn’t given the player of the tournament was that they went out in the semis and so an aussie lad got it ,home soil like.
    HE is one of those players you watch and just smile, restores your faith in the beautiful game
    i watch a lot of those you tube clips to help lift the gloom after watching us these days

• one fine day

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:48 AM

clinath@ed
    lol pards would have slotted him in a right back

• one fine day

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:49 AM

sav @27
    awful awful vision in my head now cheers:)

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Omar is going to one of 3 clubs
    Arsenal
    Man City or
    the favourite to get him(I think they have a piece of him already)
    PSG

• one fine day

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM

jeff,
    Think french league will be more suited to him .
    as much as id love see him in the EPL .(hate to see him playing for arsenal or city)
    Anyway I will dream of the day some kid in the club shop is trying to get his full name spelt right on the back of a number 10 shirt

• mindshaft

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:34 PM

@Lilongwe – didn’t read Keanes first book but was given the 2nd one as a xmas present, he wrote that the Ipswich and Villa players basically didn’t try that hard and the attitude was that it’s Villa not a top 4 team so why should they bother to put too much effort in

• Greebol1892

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Janmaat is top notch. Best RB we’ve had in my 35 years supporting NUFC.