John Carver Will Get The Support From Fans

John Carver is a good man, there’s no doubt about that, but as far as persuading his fellow Geordies that he is the right man to take the head coach position of Newcastle United in the summer, he’s a long shot at best – well at least as far as the fans are concerned.

john carver training

John Carver – Newcastle’s interim head coach

John is seen as being too close to Alan Pardew the former manager, who wasn’t exactly loved by Newcastle fans,  and the lead in to the game at Crystal Palace earlier this month, we had what seemed to be a love fest going on between Alan Pardew and John Carver.

And as far as the Newcastle fans were concerned that didn’t do John Carver any good.

Lee Charnley has urged the fans to get behind John and the players through the end of the season, and there’s nothing wrong with doing that for the sake of the team.

But it doesn’t say the fans think John Carver is the right man for the job long term – basically John was the only one available once Newcastle decided to let Alan pardew go for around £4M after the Everton game, and nobody was immediately available to come in until the summer.

John has talked about this issue before the game at Manchester City tomorrow:

“Let’s not think this is a massive issue, because it’s not,” “The reaction of the majority of people I’ve met on the street has been really positive towards me, but it’s a different vibe on social media.”

“If I was in the stands I’d be having a go about the same issues at times,”  “Our fans are very knowledgeable people. I genuinely mean that. I think we are fortunate in the north-east to have very knowledgeable fans here and at Sunderland.”

“They love the game. So when people start having a go I can half understand that. Let’s not make them out to be bad fans because they’re not – but criticism takes away from the importance of supporting the team.”

“There’s always going to be people out there who’ll have a go at you and you’ve got to deal with it,” “But the important thing is making sure there’s a relationship between me and the fans.”

“I think’s it’s important and I’m trying to create that. It’s important people understand I only want the best for this club.” “I got that minority reaction at Crystal Palace because I took off a forward for a defender.”

“But I had to do it.” “If I explain that to people they might start to understand it. I was trying to get a point from the game rather than lose all three. Every point we get is crucial.“

“It was quite funny. I asked one kid to write his side down in formation on a piece of paper. He had two defenders in a 2-6-2. I told him we would do that against Manchester City.”

“It gives someone a voice,”  “You might have a 15-year-old kid who has an opinion, puts it out on social media, it starts a discussion and, all of a sudden this lad, this Joe Bloggs, gets a bit of an ego.”

John’s job is also a lot harder now because of all the injures Newcastle have picked up over the last two weeks,  and we think the fans will support John through the end of the season.

Why not?

But it’s a completely different thing when the permanent Newcastle head coach is named in the summer, and we hope that will be an experienced and good coach,  who can get the very best out of a decent Newcastle squad.

Of course if John Carver wins 11 of the last 13 games then he could get the job – much like Glenn Roeder’s tremendous record as caretaker manager back in 2006 got him the job permanently.

But Newcastle should hire their new head coach based principally on the coach’s record.

John Carver needs to let the results he gets at Newcastle from now until May do the talking, and so far that hasn’t happened.

This is a poll we have run with one vote per reader.

Should John Carver Be The Head Coach At Newcastle?

Loading ... Loading ...

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:19 PM

firebug…I am tired as we speak 😉

Lesh…I am saving that name for Ibiza!

• toon kk

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:24 PM

Carver can’t work wonders with a team made up with mainly players who should be playing their football in lower leagues. Poor coach poor squad.

• Average_Contents

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:26 PM

1462 Knobends clearly exist. Deluded.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Ed…JC got the job already! I think you know that 😉 you just won’t admit it!

• lesh

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Oh Jesper.

What a thoughtful man you are. Ibiza will be delighted to hear of your kindness.

How about Alan Pardew Fuglsang – Junior capt’n awesome of the lemon crew?

Now there’s a name he’ll be proud of.

• jayphoto

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:55 PM

@lesh cheers for thr words on my images yesterday mate appreciated

• jayphoto

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:57 PM

On Carver, hes here till the end of the season no matter what! Personally i have huge doubts hes up to the job but im prepared to judge him on the last 6 games of the season! By then he’ll have more than enough time to weed the Pardew out and pit his stamp on the team! Those 6 games are against all types of placed side! Be s good indication.
    Still think mclaren is tied up and a done deal tho

• Blofal

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:06 AM

lol a 2-6-2!

————Janmaat – Colocinni
    ——————–Anita
    Obertan – Abeid —- Colback – Gouffran
    ——————-Sissoko
    ————-Cisse——-Perez

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:08 AM

lesh…I’ll settle for Junior 😉 lol

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:10 AM

Jay…I think JC is tied up and a done deal 😉

…I think you got the better job than all of us!

• stan anderson

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:15 AM

Sorry but J.C. is a loser and willing to sell himself to the slug.
    I am a true geordie who has watched my team for decades and i would not work for this crettan no matter what he paid me.
    J.C.is in a job he does not merit on his past achievements in football and is no more than a puppet for the slug.
    Not a true Geordie in my book

• Novocastrian66

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:16 AM

The only way JC won’t get the job on a permanent basis is if he has a car crash in the last 13 games. He will be our head coach next season. We will continue to drift. What I cannot get is; why do seemingly professional people who are financially secure, tolerate being associated to such an unambitious project?
    They cannot all be desperate. They must have some pride?

• sickandtired

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Hey, hang on Dr Ed.
    First of all, if the club backed JC then he and they may get far less stick. Not just useless comments appealing for support, but meaningful actions like signing players when they are desperately needed. Needed long before now as we all know.
    As for the quoted section – is he suggesting all posters have no more insight than a 15 year old? It’s comments like this that damage him. So far, despite his in depth involvement with this club and squad, he’s produced relegation form – so let’s stop the love fest. If he can do better, great, but it’s time he backed up the Catherine Cookson sentimentality with action and results.
    And, this club is not going to sign anyone else in his place based on their record. They’ll sign someone who will fit in with what they want and nothing more.

• stan anderson

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:27 AM

Will someone ask John if he would like to win the F.A.CUP as his bosses dont want that to get in the way of survival in the P.L.

• Lindisfarne

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:45 AM

The link between Carver and Pardew is not the reason why supporters are not convinced he has the ability to make NUFC progress, rather his lack of coaching accomplishment. He may have the potential to become an excellent choice, wiith a extended amount of time and a functioning squad of talented players. However at the moment he is yet another indication of the unwillingness of the board to spend the clubs money to gain success beyond PL survival.

• Sav

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:10 AM

Unfortunately for JC, anyone who is prepared to work under this regime, accepting our unacceptable recruiting, shortstacked squads, playing a weakened team in the cups and glad to settle for mediocrity is going to get stick. And if you stick your head above the parapet pretending everything in the garden is rosy when blatantly its not, you are going to deserve every bit of stick that comes your way, whether you are a Geordie or not. Had Pardew oi JC even the gumption to say they are disappointed we didn’t sign promised recruits they would get sympathy and backing but they are yes men.

• JAMSHA(CARVER SLAYER)

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:11 AM

balz i wont support any of the current puppets of ashely

Man city 1-1 Newcastle

toure 1st half , cisse 90min

• The overrated Frenchman

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:29 AM

Spot on Sav. Carver has done nothing to earn the respect of the fans. In fact just the opposite as you correctly observe. Simply being a Geordie is not enough to cut it with anybody.

• Lindisfarne

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:01 AM

Not my ideal formation but I have more and more of a reoccurring realisation that I have been Pardewed. As a consequence I am trying alternative formations as a mind cleanser:

Two forwards from Cisse, Riviere, Sammy, Gouffran
    Haidara – Anita – Abeid – Sissoko
    Colback – Collo – Willo – Janmatt
    Krul

Subs Perez, Cabella, Satka, U21 midfielder

• scout

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:35 AM

The 2-6-2 would be better than your 1 up front. He was probably taking the pixx out of you John.
    Anyway crack on theres buses to be parked at the Etihad.

• scout

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:37 AM

Reckon city are a cracking bet to put 4 or more past us today.

• cyprus

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:31 AM

Lock Sammy in. He’s already a good player, a good athlete and he has enormous potential. Although this may well change, up to now he has shown much more than Aarons on the pitch.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:38 AM

I am not convinced on Sammy to be honest!

…he can produce some really good stuff at times, the problem’s just I cannot remember the last time he did it…or the time before that!

• cyprus

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:53 AM

Jesper,
    Good morning. I noticed you don’t value him much. I don’t know, I see something there, I’d sign him.
    There’re plenty of players to move on.

• lesh

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:54 AM

Well, well…. This extract from a Northern Echo piece seals it for me – Carver stopped Cisse being sold!

‘…. Carver claims to have been determined to keep him at St James’ Park – backed by managing director Lee Charnley.

Carver said: “I wanted to keep hold of him and I was supported 100 per cent from Lee. It was a relief to be supported, to be honest, as it’s a good sign.”

What a man. Carver’s convinced Ashley to forego the proceeds from selling Cisse.

He’s got clout, he can stem Ashley’s lust for money, he’s a Geordie……. He’ll do for me!

• cyprus

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:56 AM

Lesh,
    Ashley isn’t mentioned in your quote.

• headtheball

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:03 AM

Old Geordie Folk Song

On yonder terrace stands the Toon Army
    Who they are I do not know
    I’ll ask if I can be the manager
    They must answer yes or no
    CHORUS
    No John! No John! No!
    HWTL

• scout

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:09 AM

Cant even believe the thought was there to sell cisse baldy has obviously been told to make as much money as possible. I FEEL LIKE CRYING THE THOUGHT OF IT.
    What a shower of shi_ we are now. How JC can associate himself with these morons is beyond me.

• scout

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:14 AM

I reckon well get hammered today 6-0.
    I shall watch half heartedly from a designated smoking area though a pub window dissatisfied and angry.

• lesh

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:37 AM

cyprus

There’s no need to mention Ashley. We all know he holds the purse strings!