Alan Shearer Decimated By Newcastle Display

Gary Linekar has talked on his Twitter account about how the great Alan Shearer reacted to the trashing at Manchester City today when we gave away a penalty after 29 only seconds and were 3-0 down after 21 minutes and the Newcastle defense looked extremely porous in a game that ended up in a 5-0 thrashing.

alan shearer recent

Alan Shearer – not impressed with Newcastle performance

The performance and result makes a bit of a mockery of John Carver’s pre-game press briefing about not being afraid of City and all that stuff.

John certainly talks a good game but he has now got just 6 points from 7 league games and also lost at Leicester City in the FA Cup – so that’s relegation form.

Newcastle were hopeless today and they were simply an embarrassment and made City look like world-beaters – and our defending was simply pathetic.

And to think we had 10 days to prepare for this game. :(.

This was the first tweet Gary sent out early in the game:

“Less than 30 seconds gone, Man C penalty. Shearer screams “my f*****g God!”

And it was followed by this tweet after we had con ceded three goals in just over 20 minutes:

“3-0. Shearer no longer screaming. Just mumbling “f**k me”

Maybe John Carver just hasn’t got what it takes to be the number one man, and we think if we lose to Aston Villa next Saturday, the club could take some action and try to bring in a more experienced coach.

But this situation Newcastle are in has been caused by Lee Charnley and the upper management at the club,  and those who did nothing last month to strengthen the squad.

In fact we weakened it – and also put the untested John Carver in place of the departed Alan Pardew for the rest of the season.

And Daryl Janmaat is injured and Jack Colback will miss the next two games after picking up his 10th yellow card of the season.

Certainly if we keep playing like we did today then we could go into a slump similar to last year’s slump, and we could find it difficult to even get to 40 points.

We are already 4 points behind 10th placed Stoke City so being in the top ten may soon be a pipe dream, unless Newcastle can recover from the humiliation today.

It was awful.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Manchester City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Note: Robin Murray is an avid user of the blog and in June he will be cycling from Leeds to Paris for the Breast Cancer Campaign Charity, and hopes to raise £350 for the charity.

We are always willing to help people like Robin who go out of their way to raise money for worthwhile charities.  See if you can help Robin on his donations page.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Belfast

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:53 PM

Think we all done the same.

• BandB

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:57 PM

Tenth?

What happened to “we could still make the Champions’ League?”…John Carver: January 2015.

• magscar

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:02 AM

Repost
    Magscar // Feb 21, 2015 at 11:57 PM

Well what an irony. Carver and Watson work on back 4 and Williamson stops putting his hand in air urging ball to be kicked forward and tries to play football from the back. 29 secs in and we see a new Williamson! No hoofing but a ball inside on edge of area to a player apparently as surprised as I was that it hadn’t been booted up to City’s LB. Anita didn’t seem set for pass and made a hash of controlling it and …. soft penalty. I was also still getting over my surprise that Williamson had just out foxed Aguero so was well and truly shell shocked.

After such a sudden start any forlorn hopes of even keeping it respectable vanished.

Carver’s tactics of keeping it narrow with no natural width – all to contain Silva, Aquero and Nasri (?) was already redundant by 12th minute.

I suppose his thoughts of then gettting to half time at that score then looking to change to wingers after half time were also dashed by 3rd one. Containment was then order of the day and we were lucky it only got to 5.

Having said that we were outclassed by a far superior side with players more expensive than most of ours put together not even on their bench.

What I look for in these circumstances is effort and in my opinion we got that from all however misguided it was a lot of the time. Even our better players on the day Perez, Cisse and Sissoko were guilty ( not for the first time ) of poor judgement when we were pressing. I can’t understand why we give the ball away so much even without pressure e.g.through poor distribution from Krul, to under hit and stray passes when we do have some players with technical ability.

We lack consistent movement which doesn’t help. Both Perez and Cisse made early incisive runs only for player on ball to stall and not make pass. Perez late in second half made a great unselfish diagonal run from LB to RW to no avail as play was squandered. Is this simply a coaching problem? What training drills do they do?

I have never felt Carver was the man for the job (as apparently over 90% of online supporters think on various polls). He has been dealt a terrible hand but he knows/knew the score and if he didn’t realise it before as every match passes he must surely see he isn’t up to this job. I don’t see him resigning but he will be replaced if we do fall into relegation places. Not necessarily by someone fans would like but enough to protect the investment. On relegation Villa is looking like a must win game as some posted earlier as the sooner we get to 40 points ( 35 might be enough – inner optimism creeping out again) the better for us all.

Finally I don’t think it is anyway snide to have previously cautioned those who wanted Pardew out to be careful what the wish for ( just as I have done with those misguided or desperate enough to hope for relegation). After all Ashley’s record is littered with horrendous appointments so why did we expect any different to what we ended up with. The ones I miss hearing more from are those who thought “anyone ” would be better than Pardew. The only good reason to have gotten rid of Pardew would have been an upgrade which was never a foregone conclusion with Ashley. I remain hopeful that there is something of an improvement to come in the Summer especially as Carver continues to be so out of his depth that no amount of spin doctoring can turn it round come end of season,

Oh one other point – I recall that it was SackPardew.Com’s longer term aim to then get Ashley out presumably they are still working on the Carver out banners and leaflets so we will have to wait that little bit longer fr that campaign. So easily side tracked.

• firebug666

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:04 AM

I really don’t think that there is the unity and understanding in the squad that we are told exists. If that squad was playing for Carver today maybe it is an insight into what they think of him and his coaching.

Training days must be a real hoot, kick the ball about for an hour, have lunch with the kids, and off home to the missus.

We are unfit, inconsistent, disjointed, have no game plan, no team cohesion and cannot string two forward passes together, but hell what does any of that matter, we are all pulling together in the same direction, we have the unity and the love in the dressing room, who gives a fcuk about football?

• BandB

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:05 AM

And Ed,

Lee Charnley is responsible for nothing.
    And you know damn well he isn’t.

• BandB

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:12 AM

magscar,

Rotondo led the “anyone would be better than Ashley” movement.
    Along with Catchy.
    Both staunch Ashley men, it transpires.
    Not the targets you imply.
    I’d take it up with them.

• magscar

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:12 AM

BandB
    Isn’t there a law (forget just what) that you are promoted to the level at which you become incompetent. As a club we are excelling at moment.

• BandB

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:13 AM

Anyone would better than Pardew rather.
    No-one would be better Ashley, obviously.

• stuart no9

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:14 AM

we need to go down. it is that simple . that is the only way ash will realise the time is up. he’ll have made what he wanted and being in the fizzy just wont bring the riches he is accustomed .If people are going to keep turning up in their 1,0000s, then dropping down a league and playing the likes of charlton ,rotherham,brighton next year might just make them realise that as long as ashley is here and carver is in charge that is all we are good for . stay away if you value your club.

• BandB

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:15 AM

magscar

We should ask Lee.
    He might have known for years and years.

• magscar

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:25 AM

BandB

Not sure if you are correct about those but am not inclined in any event to get involved with circuitous debates. One of the reasons I have stayed of last week or so. No match just deja Vu. It is often possible to dip into Blog and think I’ve somehow latched on to an old thread as I feel sure I’d ead that before only to find that no it is indeed the latest. I think you called an intermission at one stage 🙂
    Used to have those at The Queens cinema when films were considered too long for peoples bladders or attention spans

Back to you original point I surprisingly found myself in agreement with Catchy on one of his earlier posts last night – wasn’t a penalty (or was very soft – would we have got it at other end!) and Goufran had been OK. Not seen MOTD so don’t know what they made of it. Will be a few days before I will bring myself to watch recording but I will as I always eventually do for some pathetic reason

• Marty-Toon

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:42 AM

The big question is why do the fans keep turning up in their droves to watch that trash?
    Had I been an owner of a season ticket I certainly couldn’t bear to turn up and watch this rubbish.
    People on here expecting money to be spent in the summer and hopeful that ASHLEY will invest in the squad.
    Seriously ?
    How long will it take for us to waken up?
    He’s not interested in how the team is playing or if they’re decent to watch,he’s only interested in staying in the league.
    I certainly won’t be spending money on a flight from Oslo to watch that tripe.
    I don’t believe things will change with him in charge at all.
    We’ve come close to having a very decent team and he just sold off our best players and we keep going back to the starting line.
    I for one of many have had enough.
    I hope those thousands of others that feel the same way can make it show that this is not acceptable at our club,they need to leave their seats empty.
    It may hurt the team having a half empty stadium but the place is hardly a fortress or a noisy theatre anymore so it’s time to act.

• magpiefifer

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:17 PM

What’s it to do with Charnley – he’s just another Ashley puppet!!!
    What’s really gets to me is that Shearer like all Toon fans is upset and embarrassed while Ashley will be totally unaffected as long as we stay in the Prem he will achieve his aim of loads more TV money for him to profit from.
    How I detest that man!!!!!!