Carver And Players Take Responsibility For The Debacle

John Carver and the Newcastle team will debrief on Monday, and go through what happened in the game on Saturday at the Etihad, and it will not be comfortable for a lot of the Newcastle players, when they see how they performed – it was little short of a disgrace.

newcastle's decimated players

Newcastle players in shock on Saturday – so were the fans

After the game on Saturday, this is what the Newcastle head coach John Carver said:

“It is frustrating, but you can  show the players and talk about what they will do only so much,” “I can’t actually get on the pitch and do anything about it.”

“I will take lots of responsibility for what’s happened, and the players also have to take it.” “Some of them have taken that responsibility in the changing room.”

We’ve heard some bravado talk from John Carver before, and what the fans want to see is action rather than words.

You don’t become a top coach by giving great interviews before games, saying you are not fearful of the opposition and what you are going to do in the game.

Those words before a game have to be turned into reality.

John has to realize that words are cheap, and what Newcastle fans want to see is a committed all-out performance against Aston Villa on Saturday at St. James’ Park.

And one of the jobs of the head coach is to prepare the side, get the players ready as individuals and as a team, and inspire them to perform at or near their best on the pitch.

That’s certainly not what we saw the last time out

Note: Robin Murray is an avid user of the blog and in June he will be cycling from Leeds to Paris for the Breast Cancer Campaign Charity, and hopes to raise £350 for the charity.

We are always willing to help people like Robin who go out of their way to raise money for worthwhile charities. See if you can help Robin on his donations page.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Thump

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:30 PM

Because we should be blaming City…?

Of bloody course they should take responsibility for it – it’s their fault!

• Tsunki

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Well that’s a relief because I’m sure it wasn’t my fault.

• Tsunki

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:33 PM

I think it was partly belfast to blame though. He’s usually at the centre of things when it all goes pear shaped.

• Belfast

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Oh it is your fault Skunki.

• Belfast

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:36 PM

This is getting bizarre now I’m becoming like the Candyman.

• stuart no9

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:37 PM

i just blame alan pardew , its easier

• Belfast

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:41 PM

Before you even mention my name I can tell you’re thinking about mentioning my name.

I’m basically Candyman with advanced powers

• Black and White with an army lol

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:45 PM

I blame the grass and the direction of the wind

• Belfast

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:47 PM

To be fair to Mike Basset at least he’s taking responsibility.

The other bloke once blamed the science

• irishtoon999

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:10 AM

I think this result against city should be the final straw for us the fans.. I have to travel overseas to games and I been to three this season, two with pardew and one without.. Each time usually when I come over iv someone new with me, and do U know what they say? They said I thought these fans wanted to get this owner out! Everytime U see him, his laughing and smiling.. It makes my blood boil! The point is in reality we all talk on forums like this but then we go and behave like good little fans and fill the fat mans pockets. The solution is boycott games, and I mean really boycott games and the merchandise.. I know loads of former toon fans who don’t bother going to games anymore but there is always tons of fans to replace them! We need to get this guy out simple, id rather follow a pound foolish club who R going after big players and taking risks to make us successful instead of following ma’s business.. Time to stop the talking, come on guys..

• banjax

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:32 AM

“Carver And Players Take Responsibility For The Debacle”,….this has to be the most obviously, stupid statement uttered by a Football Coach and his players. A pointless statement which shows the lack of a full explanation of what was going on in ‘so called professional footballers minds’ ( apart from sex, money and how to get out N U FC as soon as..) and a dis- respect for the supporters who follow the team through thick and mostly thin. Carver and the players could have started by turning in on Sunday for extra coaching and forensic analysis of why they just could’nt be bothered. As it is, it seems we have players who couldn’t give two monkeys about pride, graft and professionalism when playing for the club. Sick and tired of this club !

• lesh

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:38 AM

Pardew out!

• lesh

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:45 AM

Off topic but Ashley really does know how to keep his employees happy!

• brklyngeordie

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:52 AM

I will say it again this club is in dire need of the fan-base to do something drastic whether it be a no show to remainder of games this season or an organized walk-out during game or burning of sports direct apparel outside stadium something must be done we must show the football world what makes wearing the Black and White so special and that we do not stand for a small club mentality nor will accept one no matter who the owner is I WANT MY CLUB AND FANS WHO BLEED FOR THE CLUB BACK..ASHLEY OUT!!!!!

• magpie_in_ohio

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:04 AM

Blah, blah, blah….

That was an uninspired, inexcusable, lackluster, borderline pathetic effort. Much too proud a club to deliver that kind of “performance”. 5 – 0 is abhorrent.

• Bri

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:34 AM

Carver should walk to save face,the bloke is totally out of his depth and the crap he comes out with is cringe worthy.
    And to think he could be given the job at end of seasons makes me shudder.

• Bri

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:51 AM

Whether Carver stays or goes,either way the fans are gonna be disappointed because no chance of any manager worth his salt coming to this club next season.

• Santon03

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:44 AM

I already expected to lose this game, I don’t know about others maybe you guys expecting nothing less than a win.
    what I didn’t expect is 30 secs after kick off.
    tbh I was expecting 4-0 defeat.
    Haidara by far was the worst player on the pitch.
    Anita made his mistake with penalty, but he didn’t make more mistakes after that, unfortunately it was the most fatal mistake.
    I don’t mind Gouffran playing as long as a sub, but as a starter is too negative. He is the most defensive forward/ winger I have ever seen, he might as well converted into wb, also very rare to see him making crosses.

• Santon03

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:49 AM

Usually after humiliation we started 4-5 games winning streak, usually…
    If that’s going to happen, I would rather take humiliation away from home by teams like City rather than QPR, Sunderland, Villa, etc.

• Reyantoon

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:07 AM

Haven’t seen the game but when I see his team selection before the game,I wasn’t happy.He should have gone for 4-5-1,Goufran or obertan on the right, samy on the left and Perez as lone striker because this is an away game,playing against title challengers and have fully fit squad.I too haven’t expected to win but at least entertained and not get hammered like that, that’s demoralizing defeat,waking other clubs they can beat us easily and signal them we are pathetic.
    Overall,I don’t care anymore about our aim,like I said,I just be happy even if we finish 17th..

• Reyantoon

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:16 AM

I think our next head coach will be Garde.
    Earlier when asked about us,he said: I can’t say much today..
    this time he said: I respect JC….etc etc
    Whatever happens, I assure you that JC will not remain as head coach beyond this season!!

• MrToon

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:18 AM

There’s still a lot of talk about boycotting games to drive out Ashley. Although I think it would work, I don’t think it is realistic. I think we really need to attack his one true love which is sportsdirect. After all we really are just a billboard for the company, so we need to give it some bad publicity somehow.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:54 AM

MrT…so you want to attack the three SD stores in Newcastle? or make our problem a problem for the entire nation 😉

…as much as I think adding SD to the equation is a great idea I do think we need to start at the root of our problem which is our football club and the community you guys live in.

In many ways the problem is us (the fans). If we cannot unite and find a way forward then all this is ever gonna be is just another talk.

I seems to me as a fan base we are just too disconnected from one another.

• Sliema

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:01 AM

Jesper

How could we as a fan bas connect in your opinion?

I feel if we could we would be able to achieve more than most people imagine.

Perhaps for now we just keep protesting louder and louder over the next 13 games about Ashley and Carver too. It’s barely skimming the surface of what we would like to achieve like.

• MrToon

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:19 AM

I’m not talking about the sd stores. More about banners and signs maybe tshirts to take to st james and try to get tv coverage.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:35 AM

Sliema…I think we probably need to start admitting we are both part of the problem and the solution!

If we need to come to a solution we need to get organized and figure out who is actually willing to go the distance…

From my comfortable chair here in Denmark it’s more or less impossible to know who to turn to when we are this disorganized.

There are a handful of bloggers on here who is quite informed.

• Santon03

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:10 AM

Carver is temporary head coach until new season where more suitable better head coach is available.
    More options are available in summer, I wouldn’t be surprise if before last match of the season we will have new head coach and with summer transfer will have more available players.
    It’s more sensible move, nobody wants to be hired for just half season then be replaced again at the end of the season.
    If we are still with Carver when new season starts then you may protest all you want, it will be justified.

• Bambams

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:13 AM

I am all for showing some sort of protest but I remember the game where we were trying to get Pardew out….. There were not that many holding up the banners.
    I have said before if everyone boycotts sd stores…..He won’t like that.
    I honestly don’t know what to do in relation to removing ash

• lochinvar

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:15 AM

A few blogs ago it was reported that Carver had posted a note on the War room wall that said ” no one takes the blame, we all share responsibility ”
    Talk about ” preparing to fail ”
    How naive was that on Carvers part ( or is it to devolve himself of being part of the problem ) but either way wrong – do not include me in that fiasco against City or the fans who travelled.

• sparky55

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:20 AM

Carvers sister talks more sense

• firebug666

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:23 AM

Ashley own 100% of Newcastle, and for that reason you cannot get at him through Newcastle.

The only way to get at Ashley is through getting at his SD tat shops, This may not bother the fat man too much personally, but it it upsets enough shareholders they will get at Ashley.

With sustained pressure and enough bad publicity, SD tat could be forced into severing all ties with Newcastle United.

But the only way forward is for the fans to come together and unite, only then with organisation could we have the chance of actually exposing Ashley in full view of the world media for what he is.

• Santon03

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:28 AM

Carver is naive, perhaps. Nobody given this huge opportunity set trying to fail, moreover he is a Geordie. If Carver said in the interview that he took the blame and responsibility then it’s good, what do you expect him to say after that humiliation? blame the pitch? the ref? the players? the fans?
    He has given his best and will give his best to win, let’s hope it will work out for the rest of the season. He’s not the dream coach, but he has no intention to destroy the club.
    There more credible coaches/ managers who has failed even with better team and spent more money, look at AVB, Redknapp, Daglish.

• mindcompressor

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:33 AM

I think we should blame owner of MC for investing in club instead of selling every possible player. These Arabs don’t know anything about footbal, MA knows better.

• hibbit

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:35 AM

firebug sd share holders are the one’s to get at as there the only one’s with any power over ashley how to do that i dont know but sd is his weak spot

• hibbit

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:38 AM

we could bur share’s in sd

• hibbit

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:38 AM

buy

• firebug666

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:39 AM

Santon03

Carver is in over his head mate, but he asked for this, he wanted and still wants the job.

Yes he is right to take that blame, and the fans are right to blame him.

Most of what he has uttered in the press is cringeworthy, and embarrassing for the club and the fans.

As for that last sentence:

They are not managing Newcastle, what happens with them at other clubs is of little interest.

It’s our club we have to be interested in, Carver is an untested Head Coach who is failing; He is failing himself, the players and the fans.

You better believe he should take the blame, he got what he wanted, now he will have to take the good with the bad, or in his case that bad with the even worse.

• firebug666

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:46 AM

hibbit

There are ways to get at SD and their shareholders.

Protest outside of the tat shops, exposure of the sweatshops where women and children are locked in for twelve hours a day and paid less than a pound salary.

Hack the SD website, and bring it down, keeping it down until the Fat Man and his tat shop are gone.

Protests against SD inside and outside SJP.

The use of clothes, coats and scarves etc, to cover all the SD advertising in SJP on match days.

I have no doubt other fans would have other ideas too.

• sparky55

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:47 AM

better coaches are not a guarantee of success at newcastle because it’s a hard place to attract good players to and with the management of this club being what it is we’ll only ever now attract stepping stone players who have a shelf life of a couple of years at most.

No continuity in playing staff means no success. No budget means no success. No credible management means no success. No support from the owner means no success.

Only success is on the balance sheet front and with the sky deal being so massive he knows he can keep on going the way he is and only dip into his pockets in the January window if it looks like we’re going down.

We are screwed…no decent manager will ever come to newcastle now. We might attract a young stepping stone manager who might improve the way we play with the playing staff we have but no ambition from the owner equals no real improvement on where we finish in the league. He’ll never sell to a popular syndicate like shearers because deep down he’ll want the next buyer to fail and shearers too passionate about the club to let it fail.

He’ll sell when he feels like it to whoever he thinks will be least popular with the fans with the biggest chance of failing.

• one fine day

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Sparky 55,
    Only heard bits n pieces of this shearer syndicate
    Who is involved and what would be planned ? can you elaborate ?