Where Do Newcastle Go From Here – Getting By Isn’t Working

John Carver came out and did the usual interviews after the game, and  he apologized for what was one of the worst displays by a Newcastle team in a very long time, and vowed he would fix what’s wrong with the team by next week.

newcastle's decimated players

Newcastle players look lost – who was marking him then?

This is what John Carver said after the game:

“An apology to the fans first of all. No matter what you plan during the week, when you concede a penalty in the first minute then you are on a hiding to nothing.”

“To concede a penalty in the manner we did is really annoying and frustrating.” “I have seen better sides than us to come here and get a hiding.”

“Then all of a sudden we concede another. Within the first 10 minutes of any game you should try and stay in the game and play in their half. We didn’t do that.”

“My job now is do I sulk and start talking behind players’ backs? I hope not.”  “We will have a discussion on Monday and air our differences and then take that forward into the game against Aston Villa.”

Those who are running the club don’t seem to care too much about the squad being weakened in the January transfer window, and simply say that the goal is still to finish in the top ten.

That’s even with only five regular defenders fit – Krul, Janmaat, Coloccini, Williamson and Haidara – possibly only four after the injury to Janmaat today.

And Lee Charnley does absolutely nothing to help in that goal of a top ten finish.

So we’re not sure where Newcastle go from here, but we only just got by during the second half of last season, and that seems to be the goal this season.

That’s especially after what happened last month, and with the injuries we have picked up recently to Paul Dummett and Curtis Good – our squad is not in good shape and our best team was playing today and was hopeless.

Just stay in the Premier League and maybe we’ll bring in one or two players in the summer transfer window so we can  survive next season – that seems to be the limits of the ambitions of Mike Ashley and company.

It’s just not good enough for a club like Newcastle United.

Mike Ashley’s policies of running the club on a shoestring, where only money is important, is killing Newcastle United.

And it’s also not working.

Note: Robin Murray is an avid user of the blog and in June he will be cycling from Leeds to Paris for the Breast Cancer Campaign Charity, and hopes to raise £350 for the charity.

We are always willing to help people like Robin who go out of their way to raise money for worthwhile charities.  See if you can help Robin on his donations page.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• stuart no9

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:29 AM

stuart no9 // Feb 22, 2015 at 12:14 AM

we need to go down. it is that simple . that is the only way ash will realise the time is up. he’ll have made what he wanted and being in the fizzy just wont bring the riches he is accustomed .If people are going to keep turning up in their 1,0000s, then dropping down a league and playing the likes of charlton ,rotherham,brighton next year might just make them realise that as long as ashley is here and carver is in charge that is all we are good for . stay away if you value your club

• magscar

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:30 AM

Continuing on my Deja Vu point on last thread – getting that feeling again with Ed’s actual posts before anyone has posted.

• stan anderson

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:31 AM

Get the barstewards out of our club please someone please.

• jayphoto

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:36 AM

Thought Abeid looked ok when he came on! Always showing for the ball. Don’t know who wanted or recommended Anita but hes a poor player! Too lightweight by far for central midfield!
    Don’t know how Gouffran gets a game??
    Willo and Cisse aren’t footballers! Period. Cisse is a good one touch instinctive finisher but is possibly worse than even obafemi martins for teamwork, hold up play etc
    coloccini is either past it. Or no longer interested! I suspect both!
    Perez and Colback desperately need a rest! Victims of non existent squad rotation!
    Personally id’ start Abeid when fit! Obertan offers pace and width and Cabella is getting better! We actually have some decent players but woeful management and organisation

• magscar

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:41 AM

Stuart
    If I recall correctly from previous posts you are not a “young un” and have therefore been around for more than just the one relegation. If you have and therfore witnessed how long we have previously stayed in the Wilderness of Div 2 ( now SkyBet?) are you serious about your solution?

There are no assurances he would sell ( at price where he would make profit?) nor that we would only be out a season or not make a further fall.

At this stage he has only left himself one card to play if relegation does threaten and that is Carver being replaced.

Yes he might have gambled once too many times with our future but he will try and save not us but his investment. If he failed I don’t think he would immediately sell anyway. So Championship AND Ashley – just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse

• Marty-Toon

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:49 AM

12Marty-Toon // Feb 22, 2015 at 12:42 AM

The big question is why do the fans keep turning up in their droves to watch that trash?
    Had I been an owner of a season ticket I certainly couldn’t bear to turn up and watch this rubbish.
    People on here expecting money to be spent in the summer and hopeful that ASHLEY will invest in the squad.
    Seriously ?
    How long will it take for us to waken up?
    He’s not interested in how the team is playing or if they’re decent to watch,he’s only interested in staying in the league.
    I certainly won’t be spending money on a flight from Oslo to watch that tripe.
    I don’t believe things will change with him in charge at all.
    We’ve come close to having a very decent team and he just sold off our best players and we keep going back to the starting line.
    I for one of many have had enough.
    I hope those thousands of others that feel the same way can make it show that this is not acceptable at our club,they need to leave their seats empty.
    It may hurt the team having a half empty stadium but the place is hardly a fortress or a noisy theatre anymore so it’s time to act.

• magscar

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:59 AM

Jayphoto

Only 2 reasons why I can think Carver started with Anita – experience and perhaps Abeid not yet ready for 90mins? Although I think Anita is a tidy player and passes well I don’t think he is or will be cut out for CM ( or RB come to that) so will never become more than a squad player as now. Suspect if right offer came in he would be let go ( unless we get a Dutch coach in Summer !)
    With Colback out then Abeid must surely start next 2 games or will Carver opt for RTaylor?

Cisse is what he always was a goal scorer with right service who is limited in his all round play. Thought he worked hard today but typically blazed away late in 2cnd half with a chance he could have taken down and than shot or passed. He wasn’t the only one who made wrong judgement calls when in their half but I think he knows he stands or falls by his goal record. Needs to accept that they can’t all be like those 2 against Chelsea a couple of years ago.

Don’t think Perez was too bad just played out of position as usual but did some good covering.

Thing that hasn’t changed is our terrible free kicks and corners ( I know we have limited options given height in squad) to the extent that on virtually every corner we are vunerable to counter attack.

• stuart no9

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:01 AM

magscar — this is omo of how i believe we (as fans ) could at least start to gradually get this club back on its feet and at least give the likes of city a game, not sit back and watch a woeful display which is all too familiar these days. It may not happen over night, but if we dont go down Ashley will without doubt stay ans we will have exactly the same next season . As i said this is only my view on how to put the feel good factor back into the club . you obviously have your view on how to take the club forward ??

• lesh

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:07 AM

Could it be that Ashley might even begin to worry about his status in the business community?

He doesn’t make a choice complete mess of his investments but getting involved in football might just be his biggest rick if all.

Maybe he’s trying to plan an exit as we speak – before his reputation as an astute businessman is tarnished beyond repair?

Fingers crossed and be prepared to party when he decides to take his loan and move on.

• lesh

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:09 AM

++ He doesn’t usually make a complete mess of his investments but getting involved in football might just be his biggest rick if all.

• Thump

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:09 AM

Carver should have decked Aguero, then he could have said that we won 2-0.

• magscar

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:19 AM

Marty Toon

The fans who continue to go are not the problem as they can, as others have pointed out, be replaced by others on cheap tickets.

The reasons they go are many and complicated. I gave up my season ticket some years back – a personal choice not connected to Ashley but suffered poor football more recently under Gullit and Souness etc but still went. It was a 200 mile round trip (less than many) but I did it from a sense of duty to my club and home area to give support come what may as I had always done.

To those who can’t recognise or empathise with that feeling I can do no better than ( as mentioned some weeks ago) refer to an extract from above which perfectly encapsulates what it is to be a fan and the nonsense of it as it may appear to another viz.

“It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.”

“It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Bobby Robson.

Yes it is a love affair not with any regime but the club it’s self and all of its’ fans before , now and to come – it’s soul will be here when he has gone unless we let him take it.

• BeeGuy

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:26 AM

How does one “get behind” what is put before the paying customer? JC ding the best he can with what he has been given. I’m sure if he were not a Geordie, he would walk. He is just trying to get the squad into next year.
    Maybe the fans need to give the rest of the year the “silent treatment”. Go to the games but sit on your hands and keep your mouth shut. Make the cathedral on the hill, as quiet as a real one. It would be unnerving for the media, at least.

• banjax

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:36 AM

We all know what is wrong with our football club – the trouble is that Mike Ashley does not because he runs NUFC without the correct business model and ‘junk shop’ financing. This may work in the retail trade with Sports Direct et al, but as he can see it does not work when applied to a football club. I have been saying for ages, everyone should stay away until he realises his customers have had enough of him dragging our pride in the mud and he either puts up the cash to get a quality MANAGER and a quality squad with ambitions to Match the supporters or F..KS OFF!!!!

• magscar

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:37 AM

Stuart

As I have referred to on many occasions I have been around during protests at previous regimes and managers all to no avail. My way of dealing with Ashley is simply to endure what I cannot change. I now put no money whatsoever into the club or SD but can’t help but support as I have done over other painful years. There have been very few highs in my time as a supporter and I am sick of it but until some one can come up with a strategy which is an actual starter that majority of fans can align with then there is no alternative. I just can’t see one so try to see some glimmer of hope.

I believe that this summer is THE PIVOTAL ONE. Not because it is the latest but as I have said before all pieces will be on the board fot the first time and it is Ashley’s move.

Not sure what it will be but it ought to be a good Head Coach ( and support staff) appointed that fans accept and with much more input into buying selling players and timing thereof . Also the transfer blueprint updated to reflect club’s ability to compete more in the market and for right players at right time.

Others already know the answer but I will leave it to him and then decide.

• magscar

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:40 AM

Bed calls – night all

• stuart no9

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:07 AM

magscar——your ideas on how ashley could change his strategy on how to run the club, would delight even the more hardcore anti ashley brigade.
    A new head coach to appease the loyal fans, and to allow him more input into buying players, a role that no doubt, a good head coach will have more idea than anyone else at the club as to who he wants to build a decent side.
    The transfer blueprint updated so we can compete with other clubs. It al;l sounds too wonderful and i suspect 50,000 people would agree with you , however , a dream is all that is .
    after nearly 8 years in charge i cant see ashley changing his opinion on how he feels about the club or its supporters. and for that reason , keep dreaming it wont happen . Anew owner is required . how do we get one ? i dont know . i have a theory , but you dont agree with it.

• surrey_toon

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:37 AM

We was abysmal today and it clear john is not the man for the job no matter how weak the the team is due to injuries.
    But I have a weird feeling that this summer will see a lot of change!!! I can see us splashing some serious cash to get some some good players in along with a new head coach who is used to the role, I think there will be a major change with most of the coaching staff making way for new different thinking types of coaches ………
    I have not given up on my club yet!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:43 AM

You just know the club statement in the summer will be something like well teams in other leagues know now that we have extra revenue and have put their prices up accordingly this means that the club think that we would have to overstretch and overpay for players who we do not feel bring value to the club so we have decided to wait till January to see if we need to strengthen…….

• MTOON

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:51 AM

As a first time blogger but long time reader of the blog can I just point out something. I am a supporter of the club as a season ticket holder and long term attendee at SJP, anyone who does not attend is a fan. For you fans to judge the people who go to SJP and travel away to games as you seem to do on this site are small minded. I have had some fantastic away days that you so called ‘FANS’ can only dream about at Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Frankfurt and Halmstads(you probabably don’t know where this is?) etc. the list is endless. I totally agree that the present situation is unacceptable but I have been on long and lonely trips to Cambridge, Oxford etc. and do not expect to be slagged off/abused for this loyalty. For me the match day experience is not just about the game but it is a day out which started with my father when I was 7 years old and continues now when 20+ of my mates meet and enjoy a day of drinking and story telling. This is what has kept us friends for 25 years! Think about that when you are talking about boycotts and the like…. NME…………

• toonincheek

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:00 AM

Even if we get a new Head Coach and support staff
    in the summer, and 5 new quality players, it will be
    a case of letting the new H C get things organised,
    let the new players settle in, get used to the PL, etc.

I’m almost writing off next season already.

• Mag52

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:19 AM

The match v Villa is crucial to Carver and the new regime.
    Whatever the criticism of AP, he would come back from a hammering, and there were certainly some hammerings, with a strong performance from the team in the next game.
    I wish I had confidence that JC will do that. If he can’t get their heads up, we’ll be heading for the championship folks.

• JDdubai

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:36 AM

@20

Soton have done pretty well with a new manager and players this season. If they are good enough and the coach is good enough then no reason why we cant start from game 1 next year…..hope its in the PL mind!

• swemag

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:51 AM

Sad sad. But then again, you could be a Villa or a QPR fan. There is always something that is worse.

• ash1001

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:47 AM

Theres a lot of talk re Carver and Geordie Pride, in my opinion he knew no one would come in when AP left, ans he was in with a chance of been Head Coach, so he hung around, think he could have went to Palace.
    So if he had Pride in been Head Coach he should and would have know that the squad was far from good enough – what did he do – EXACTLY NOTHING, just accepted his lot, so in my opinion its more about JC been able to say “I am/was Head Coach of NUFC”.
    JC thinks more of himself than the team and fans, if by some chance he had made a success of it, he would probably have wanted a double bay parking slot at the training ground.
    Sorry JC you are part of the problem. along with the other Ashley puppets, why not just come out and say the squad is far from good enough and show some real pride as the fans do week in week out.

• toonincheek

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:54 AM

JD – Yes, Soton have done well.
    But they are the exception rather than the norm.

• toonincheek

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:00 AM

Too many people on this blog blame JC for lying
    down and rolling over, being a lacky etc.

JCs job includes painting as positive a picture as
    he can.

I don’t doubt for a moment that he makes his feelings
    known in private.

You don’t get anywhere by criticizing MA, or the
    regime, in public.

As for JC, Beardsley and Stone walking in protest – I cannot see that that would help us short term (i.e. to the end of the season).

Charnley too has to follow MAs instructions, so it’s
    missing the point to blame him.
    We are even more lightweight in the management
    structure than we are on the field.

• Reyantoon

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:11 AM

I was pleased about one thing, haven’t watched the game.And when I heard we conceded in the first minute,I expected we will conceed more.And that is exactly what happened and we are lucky it ended with just 5-0.It’s not important to blame the players but Anita is poor tackler in big times.Last year against Sunderland at home,he made terrible tackle to conceed us penalty in early stage that eventually lead us to get hammered.yesterday,
    he made another one in the first minute and we get trashed.The guy is poor, lost his form and needs to go.
    I don’t care what has been said and what will be said,but like I said though, I will be happy if we finish 17th.
    Such a bad weekend!!

• lochinvar

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:23 AM

Can we apply to the FA for an a Emergency Loan Manager ?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:09 AM

Mag52…AP had the experience to come back from hammerings due to all the hammerings he got over the years!

…JC just don’t have that experience yet 😉

• chasing_rabbits

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:19 AM

For what i think was the first time ever, the missus sat and watched MOTD with me earlier, and bearing in mind she has absolutely no interest or knowledge in football what so ever (apart from when Pardew laid the nut on Meyler, she loved that for some reason!) she turned to me after the highlights finished and said “it must be depressing being a Newcastle fan!”

I then proceeded to give her a very short background educational speech in to the current situation at the club, to which she replied “sounds like you need a new owner really”

This pretty much sums it up for me if even she’s able to work it out from 5mins of highlights just how serious the problem is.

The conversation then took a very dramatic turn for the worse, when after a few mins of silence whilst we listened to Shearer give his view, she followed up with “can’t you just switch to Sunderland, aren’t they right next to each other?!”

• optimistic prime

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:21 AM

Where do NUFC go from here?

Championship would be my guess

• Bambams

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:25 AM

Well I did say yesterday if we are not careful a team will really give us a big hammering..It was only 5-0 and it could have easily been double that.
    It’s over with …..
    What I cannot understand is why no members of the press have not hounded either ash or Charney and put questions to them. Sky sports or Journal or Chronic. …Are they all frightened or something. Just stick a camera in front of them and see how they react to some straight questions.
    Everything we get from inside the club is checked for spin and sanitised. ….
    I still think there will be a bigger defeat coming. The players just all looked shellshocked and not interested.
    No front threat
    No creative midfield
    No commanding defence
    No experienced manager

Just hope three teams are worse off than we are….

• chasing_rabbits

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:34 AM

I really hope for all our sanity we don’t get relegated.

It’s different down there now to how it was when we last went down anyway. Its a tough league & much more competitive than it was, and automatic promotion is not guaranteed. Look at Wigan, Reading, Cardiff & Norwich for example. I really don’t see relegation as being the only route to getting rid of Ashley. What drives him is money, and the only way he will sell us on is if we are in the premiership, because we would be much more valuable. He won’t get the figure he wants if he sells us as a championship club. On the other hand, if we are in the premiership, he knows that a minimum investment should just about keep us there. Which means the big bucks keep rolling in from tv deals etc. (which are set to increase even further) So in other words, I can’t see him going anywhere, whether we’re relegated or not. I guess that’s just my view though, but it seems to make sense to me.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:37 AM

Maybe the press think the bigger story is why fans keep going to games?

…there is a paradox in the way the club is being run and the support it gets. Makes for some good headlines!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:41 AM

Relegation wouldn’t solve anything…we have been there before (and nothing changed)

• Lindisfarne

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:50 AM

JC promised from the start he would not complain about anything in exchange for his dream job. We also learn that his revolutionary methods include sharing the blame, which means that an already over stretched staff are at fault for the lack of performance.

The self pride JC has for the role is obviously greater than the pride he has for the club or being a local. If he was doused in brown ale it would really test his spirit.

• The overrated Frenchman

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:57 AM

Let’s just face it, the club is rotten to the core. The owner, chief executive, chief scout and head coach have no right to be involved with a Premier League team. They are not competent. The Academy is a joke. The support staff (physios etc.) are clearly sub-standard. 50,000 sheep fill the stadium for home games. They don’t have the guts to stay away. Turning up is the soft option and Ashley knows it. He doesn’t have to change anything. He doesn’t care. The money rolls in. It’s all just pathetic.

• The overrated Frenchman

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:12 AM

By the way, I’m producing a tee-shirt which reads “IN CARR WE TRUST TO FAIL OK”. I’ll let you know when it’s available.

• sickandtired

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Michael James Wallace Ashley – When he was told ‘there’s a club in the North and you ain’t part of it” that wasn’t referring to NUFC.
    It was Dave Whelan at JJB sports. Ashley went to war with him, saw JJB collapse and he took them over.
    After trying to sell this club twice, I think he has now simply gone to war with us and football as well.
    Well, fellow Geordies, do you have any fight left? Don’t stay away, stand up and be counted live on tv and take the fight back to Ashley. Negative press for him and for Sports Direct does him more damage than us slagging off JC.
    Sports Direct has shareholders, city investors, and they are benefiting from his parasitic involvement with our and other clubs as well as Ashleys immoral business decisions and practises like with USC.
    He’s facing hearings with the SFA and Parliament. Let’s keep the pressure and publicity fixed on him for the rest of the season, but certainly over the next month.
    Supporting this team is now only supporting him. It’s his team – he decides who is bought and sold and who is the ‘coach’.
    Fight back.