Controversy Grows At Newcastle

John Carver has talked about possibility of playing Jonas Gutierrez sometime in the final 12 games of the season, but from what he says it doesn’t seem certain that the Argentine International will necessarily play again for Newcastle.

jonas gutierrez short hair

Jonas Gutierrez – give him a game

This is what John Carver has said about the current situation:

“A little bit of it is in his hands,” “He can play, but you know when you’re ready to go at Premier League level. I am waiting for the right time, and it’s not right at the moment.”

“I can see that on the training ground. He has come back from a serious situation, and I’m not putting any pressure on him.” “I don’t know if he will play for Newcastle  again. I’d like to think so. It’s got to be right.”

“He’s got to get in the team, in his position. He has to compete to get on the left hand side,  and there is a lot of competition there, more than we’ve had for a long time.”

“Let’s see what happens as we get towards the end of the season.”

That last line suggests Jonas will not be considered for the first team squad of 18 any time soon.

Jonas has said this about his situation and he does mention his contract:

“I’m available. I know there is a situation with my contract and I don’t know if I’m going to get the opportunity to play again.”

“I’m ready and I want to, but I know other things have to happen to be back.” “What I can do is work hard and to be ready if the situation changes.’

Gutierrez has a clause in his contract saying that he gets a new deal if he plays so many games for the club,  and with Jonas having played 194 games for Newcastle with 11 goals and 26 assists, maybe 200 games is the magic number.

So maybe Jonas can play five times for the club again, but it’s very possible he will not play again and it seems that John Carver is again being given direction on what to do from those above him in the club – like Lee Charnley.

We don’t expect the club to trigger the new deal by playing him too many times, but we assume he can still play some games without triggering the new contract clause.

That’s what the Newcastle fans want to see and Jonas is a player who remains very popular, especially after his gallant fight against cancer.

What do you think?

Note: Robin Murray is an avid reader of the blog and in June he will be cycling from Leeds to Paris for the Breast Cancer Campaign Charity, and hopes to raise £350 for the charity.

We are always willing to help people like Robin who go out of their way to raise money for worthwhile charities. See if you can help Robin on his donations page.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• firebug666

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:39 AM

I think I read somewhere that Jonas still has 8 games before the year extension on his contract could be triggered.

Either way I don’t see him playing again, as he said himself, it’s up to the board.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:46 AM

If there is a situation with his contract, and Jonas wants to play again then there is a simple solution. Go to the board and revoke the clause. I can’t see him playing that much anyway, and if this solution offers him some football and he still leaves this summer then it works for all.

Was there ever a reason given for his recent attempted move to San Lorenzo falling through?

• cyprus

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:50 AM

Jonas Gutierrez – give him a game.

If there are triggers and such they can easily be scratched with mutual consent. The man knows it’s over at NUFC, give him the chance.

And, if someone jumps on the ‘footballing reasons’ (won’t tell which jerk said this) for not playing him, have a watch of some of the recent debacles.

• cyprus

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:51 AM

LG,
    Just read your comment, noticed you said it already.

• firebug666

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:53 AM

Lilongwe

Most likely a fitness issue, but then none of our team look fit.

Rangers Related:

Rangers Director resigns ahead of crucial meeting

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:55 AM

That reply from JC says to me.
    “I have one or two more pressing matters at the moment guys . Like PL survival and keepin’ me job like”

• bringbackemre

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:53 AM

People are talking completely put of there arses. He might be able to do a job he should be given a go, he was always a more useful player than gouffran who I cant see any value in. He had one bad season where he was played week in week out and was expected to be playing full back and left midfield with Pardews shit tactic. Play to his strenghts he can hold it up and he can dribble a bit his legs have gone but he still should have decent feet in tight aeras.

• bringbackemre

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:54 AM

weve become the most souless club in the premier league what are we really supporting these days. I like Carver but Ashley should be driven out

• Sav

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Isn’t Obertan and Ameobi fit and Aarons almost ready? Only if they’re prepared to drop Gouffran to play him.

• bringbackemre

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:10 PM

obertan should be played he needs confidence