Shearer – Newcastle Where They Should Be – Nowhere

Alan Shearer has been interviewed on Sky Sports today, and it doesn’t surprise him one little bit that Newcastle are drifting in mid-table going nowhere,  and out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle for the 4th time in 5 years – and three of those losses have come to a lower league side.

Alan Shearer

Alan Shearer – Newcastle are exactly where they should be
Mid-table mediocrity

This is what Alan has said today to Sky Sports:

“I think it is a very difficult one.” “As a temporary manager I know that it is very difficult to get all of the players on board.” “John Carver is in a difficult position with Newcastle.”

“But their season is very much the same as I expected it to be at the beginning of the season.” “They’ve gone out of the cup competitions early and finished in and around mid-table.”

“That’s what Newcastle are I’m afraid nowadays.” “No I don’t want to return to management.” “I’m not mad!” “I loved my time at Newcastle and I have huge respect for the guys who are in the jobs as far as managers are concerned.”

“It’s tough, sometimes impossible.” “But they love it.” “That’s why they’re in there.” “I’ve got no desire to get back in there at the moment, I love what I’m doing.”

This is very much like last season as Newcastle seem to be drifting in the wind and going nowhere fast – without any seeming direction, determination, vision or ambition.

We keep hearing from Lee Charnley that top 10 this season is the goal, and it’s hard to know how he can say that and keep a straight face.

He brought in no players during January and didn’t spend one penny, in spite of  Newcastle being down to only two experienced center-backs with Steven Taylor out for the season.

We sold Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa to Roma for £5.5M and let Alan Pardew goto Crystal Palace for around £4M, and loaned out Davide Santon to Inter-Milan and sent five younger fringe players to Rangers.

So we weakened the squad for the rest of the season – and have an untested head coach in for the rest of the season – but hey – we pocketed £10M.

In Newcastle’s eyes these days that’s success. 🙁

But it’s still a top ten finish as the goal – even though Charnley and Ashley have done absolutely nothing to make that happen last month.

That’s not executive leadership from the top at Newcastle – that’s for sure.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Aston Villa?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Note: Will Leversuch is a a final year University of Greenwich student conducting some research into the marketing of Premier league Football Clubs.
As part of that work Will needs lots of questionnaires filled in – see if you can help him by filling out this questionnaire – thanks.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Haven’t we heard this interview on here before?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:01 PM

So…what has been the topic of today?

• lesh

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:06 PM

And Allardyce’s come out with much the same pitch.

Now they really are the type of comments that’d make top coaches champ at the bit in their enthusiasm to join us.

Yes, Ashley sure knows how to build a credible corporate image

• lesh

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Oh Jesper, have a guess.

No matter what Ed’s posts, the state of the Club and Carver’s ‘management’ have dominated the boards.

You’ve missed nowt new and would probably get more stimulation from your new arrival.

Such is life with Newcastle United.

• lesh

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Repost from previous

Mister Tuff

Two for one? Didn’t know Sports Direct did transplants!

Mmm, Now which op would be best for Ashley? A head transplant I think – there’s a chance, given the right donor, we may see a more humane Ashley.

But then, they could transplant the head off Grey’s Monument and that’d probably him a better person!

• lesh

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:17 PM

And speaking of top coaches forming a queue to join the Ashley revolution…..

• Thump

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:30 PM

@lesh: Do we have to replace the head? I mean, we could just leave it out in the bin.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:35 PM

lesh…that’s where I have been spending my time anyway 🙂

• Tsunki

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:04 PM

Jesper I’ve gan hjem.

• BoyDoneGood

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:11 PM

B&B

“…[Y]ou believe in Ashley, you said… because he was a businessman… [Y]ou… unfurl the word as if it were a synonym for ‘arch angel’.” Absolutely not – never implied in the least. Are you some kind of Dr Jekyll to Avg. C’s Mr Hyde? He thinks I worship Ashley, too. To me, “businessman” means someone who makes a profit (or he won’t be one for very long). Turning his advertising vehicle into a laughing stock would be bad business, so it’s not in his plan. Logic. I just used the word “businessman”, and you built awhole imaginary moral attitude around it.

“[M]any business people… tell half-truths to advantage themselves…” True – but I have never suggested otherwise! You could omit the word “business” there and it would be just as true, of course…

“You… firmly tutted-tutted the ‘over-spending’ of the Keegan and Robson eras… One person’s over-spending being another’s properly-funded operation.” I just used the word “overspending” and, once again, you built a whole imaginary moral attitude around it. You’re quite wrong. I think people can spend their spare money however they like. I didn’t buy any overpriced shares to nail on the netty door in the John Hall era, so why would I care? I’ve said before, I love watching those old games, the great 4-3’s against Liverpool – just wished Newcastle had scored the 4 – NUFC were the Entertainers, and I was entertained. No tut-tut at all. I leave the mmoralising to you. Football is a game. Mind you, I don’t like it when clubs go into – then out of – “administration”, because the taxpayer (me inmcluded) picks up a chiunk of the tab. Spending other people’s money is a no-no.

“[I]t was a period of hope, unity, entertainment and competitiveness. Ideas that seemed to leave your heart cold.
    The Beatles wrote very well about people who enjoy the puritannical rigours of scrimping and saving and the virtues of rationing out life’s joys.” There you go, pretending you can read minds again. Using the words “businessman” and “overspending” prove according some twisted reasoning that I am Mean Mr Mustard. You have no idea what I spend my money on.

“As I predicted, you swiftly moved your attack to the claim that Newcastle United had always been a nowt little club. You told one poster that if he wanted success he should support Chelsea or Barcelona.” Well, I am on record here as saying that Newcastle are 8-10th in the pecking order on many measures. That’s 9th out of 20 PL clubs, 9/72 professional league clubs, 9/5000+ English football clubs. Is that “nowt” in your definition.

Here’s a footy finance primer. An owner gets what he pays for. In the PL the 7 most expensive squads occupied on Dec 31st places 1-7 in the table. The 7 least expensive occupied the bottom 7 places. The 6 mid-cost teams were therefore characterised by what posters on this blog love to sneer at as “midtable mediocrity”. Has anything changed in the last two months? West Brom have just crept into the midtable (14th) while Villa have nosedived to 19th. How much do the top 6 squads cost (fees – wages are proportionate)? £231-485M. After them come Southampton and Everton at 167 and 158 respectively. At 9th come Newcastle, 108, just ahead of Westham…

Pulis has not succeeded by playing beautiful football – W Brom scored as many league goals per match before he arrived. He just avoids losing too many games – comparable to Pardew. (Look back at Newcastle’s 5th place finish under Pardew. With a goal difference of plus FIVE for God’s sake!) I told one poster that if he was disappointed with THAT level of success he had better support a suiper-rich club. You twisted my words big style. (You even share Avg. C’s lack of comprehension skills.)

You pay through the nose for goalscorers – but a goal prevented has the same value (except in terms of entertainment) as a goal scored. Here endeth the lesson.

(Avg. C. – Of course I have made up all those “facts” and figures. Feel free to ignore them again.)

• AncientC

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:43 PM

Uh oh, Shearer has been critical of the way the club is run… time for Jeff to wet his pants.

Don’t you just love the ‘trolls’ that get upset so easily. heh.

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:44 PM

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Shearer had his chance
    He would have been better picking Ian Dury instead of Iain Dowie

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Tsunki…hvor er hjem henne?

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:52 PM

Jesper
    Henne is pregnant ?

• Toon Tang

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:56 PM

Oh how I hope Villa drop down the divisions like a sack of king Eddies thrown into Barrymore’s swimming pool.

• AncientC

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:00 PM

After the way Villa fans celebrated our relegation, I would like to think a bit of vengeance is on the cards.

I would take a draw instead of a win against Sunderland, if it equated to beating Villa and them going down.

• BandB

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:01 PM

BoyDoneGood,

As was the case yesterday, I feel I could have written that response for you this morning. Though in considerably fewer words. I may have also paid more attention to refuting the points I made, rather than tilting boldly at straw man versions of the same.
    I am babysitting tonight, but I’m sure we will have another chat soon.

Jeff From Benwell likes it.

Medal for you then!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:13 PM

Jeff…who’s Henne and is she pregnant?

…I was asking Tsunki where home was 😉

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:22 PM

Jesper
    lidt viden er farlig

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:23 PM

lidt viden er farligHa Ha Ha

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:24 PM

Hvad fanden skete der

• GeordieTwo

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:26 PM

We’ve got exciting times ahead mates. Just listen to this from Lee:
    “I know in my heart we can be a mediocre club. I just feel it in my bones. And Mike knows I won’t spend any money that would be needed to get us above 10th. We’re happy with Johnny C. as well. He knows what we want and how to get it. Top 15 will do us nicely.”
    Thanks Lee.

• GeordieTwo

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:31 PM

Here’s a little snippit from Johnny C. as well:
    “I’m just proud to be a Geordie. Does anyone remember that I worked with Sir Bobby? I love the Tyneside and I will do everything in my power to make us a mediocre side for Mike.”
    Beautiful Johnny C.

• GeordieTwo

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:32 PM

I’m planning another volley of dingoes for Mike very soon. Stay tuned lads.

• lesh

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:44 PM

Jesper

I see you’re keeping Jeff amused….. it doesn’t take much does it

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Carver also said
    My time at BMO Field was the weirdest in me whole puff

Hev ye evva had owt tee dee wiv them Kanuks

Weird as fook man

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:48 PM

BMO Field the centre of the footballing Universe

• GeordieTwo

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:50 PM

Tsunki, what have you been up to lately? We need some excitement on here.

• Jeff from Benwell

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:50 PM

Lesh
    hvis du havde en hjerne ville du være farligt

• GeordieTwo

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:50 PM

Don’t talk dirty like that Jeff. You’ll make Johnny C. want to go back to Toronto.

• lesh

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:54 PM

“Leading up to that second goal we had some good possession. “I don’t think it was the fact that we didn’t have any fight, I think we just lacked ability.”

Priceless!

• Belfast

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Tsunki has been fitting some kitchens, and then fitting some more.

• Tsunki

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:55 PM

hvor hjertet er?

No I don’t speak Danish. Apparently our northern expression which sounds exactly like ‘ Gan hjem’ means to go home. BandB reckons it’s pitmatic or as you correctly term it, pit yacker, but that’s just a less intelligible version of the mackem, if there could be such a thing. But bandb is wrong. Sorry BandB

• Tsunki

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:56 PM

Belfast you just missed my arboriculture lesson. You obviously aren’t paying attention these days.

• lesh

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:58 PM

Jeff

Hvis humor var lort du ville være forstoppet

Eeeh, the wonders of Google translate eh Jeff!

• Belfast

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:00 PM

I like Danish bacon

• BandB

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Tsunki,

Pitmatic is spoken in Northumberland as well as Durham, as a bit of Googling will tell you.
    It is not especially linked to …you know…there…!
    Only making conversation.

PS…I was in Toronto today…spooky.

• GeordieTwo

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:02 PM

I’m so excited at this point in the season. We’re right where Mike wants us to be. However we’re trending lower Mike. Does that concern you? Hello Mike? Put that budgie down for a minute and listen to us Mike.

• GeordieTwo

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Toronto was spooky BandB? In what way. It used to be called Toronto the Good because all the bars closed early. What are they up to now?