Newcastle Hero Now Likely To Play On Wednesday

It;s looking like there is every chance that John Carver will play Jonas Gutierrez in the first team for the first time since he made a 71st minute substitute at Cardiff City on October 5th of 2013 when we won that game 2-1 with two goals from Loic Remy.

Jonas Gutierrez at james park villa

A fit looking Jonas greeted by fans as he takes his seat on the bench

It appears that Carver’s plan was to introduce Jonas in the second half on Saturday against Aston Villa, but that plan was thwarted after an hour when Massadio Haidara came off injured and John put on Ryan Taylor – who played well in that game.

And that was Ryan’s first game since he came off after 27 minutes in the home game against QPR on 22nd November.

Jonas got a great reception when he went out to warm up in the first half on Saturday, and this is what he has said about the great reception:

“I really appreciated that. The fans were always so good with me – I think they enjoyed that I was here again,”

“I’m ready. I’m going to try to do my best when I have my opportunity. I’m going to fight for that.”

It;s a big game for us on Wednesday night, and maybe Jonas can lift the spirits of the players when and if he comes on against the Red Devils.

Since the next game after Wednesday is not until 14th March at Everton, it would be great to get another good result on Wednesday night.

Hopefully that will be with the help of the 31 year-old Argentine International, following his courageous fight with testicular cancer.

Can you imagine what would happen if he just happened to score the winner?

It would be big news around the world!

And don’t laugh – after what Jonas has achieved over the last 18 months he knows – anything is possible now.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• BandB

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Boy Done Good,

One of the huge things that has changed since the early eighties when I started going is that then the vast majority of the crowd was coming from the West End and East End.

When I stopped going, there wasn’t a single local accent anywhere around me.

In my office the season ticket holders were based in Newcastle for their jobs. Their first team was often not Newcastle, and if we played Oxford or Luton or whatever, they’d be in the away end.

They don’t go to scream their heads off. They go for a bit of interest. Like a round of golf. And there are thousands of them.

Never saw a prawn sandwich though.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Did I see this bit right in the game. Jonas started warming up during Alder and Sweeneys rememberance minute and the crowd were already applauding, obviously?

Then Jonas started clapping them back.

I’m sure they would have clapped anyway, I’m just not sure that’s what was really going down.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Knees up Mother John
    Knees up Mother John
    Knees up Knees up
    Don’t get a breeze up
    Knees up Mother Jo-oo-ohn.

Not a lot of atmosphere at the game, Shearer is correct that there is little quality to cheer and consequentially little enthusiasm to chant. Much like the cold breeze that drained my body of warmth, the spirit in the stadium had little sustenance despite the population of a small town looking on.

There is plenty of things to complain about and a lot to consider, but approaching the stadium and seeing the lads is a unique feeling that can be easily under estimated. Walking through the centre with every bar filled with supporters, the city is alive with black and white and an army of hopeful faces. Victory was the reward due in part to the weak opposition rather than expectation, the product of only one of the many on lookers desire and with little to convince of a sustained winning momentum.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Repost.

Jeff…They may not be possible at the same time, but we’re not talking about a small period of time here.

It is quite plausible, imo anyway, that the lad was rushed back and then injured. Since then, contract talks have stalled and therefore that may have had an impact on his return.

I’m not even saying it’s true, it’s an idea and it is possible.

As for Santon, yes, he was injured, they expected him back in November (as that link you posted states). Not sure what that proves. Since that date lapsed we’ve heard stories about how he was alread fit enough to play. Funnily enough, in early January Santon made noises about how we was happy and that he was due to talk to the club about his contact extention, as it only had 18 months left I believe.

BoyDoneGood…I may have missed something, but why is their no middle ground between going £50m in debt and having a £50m profit? Something nearer the break-even point? No one, well, at least not many, are asking the club to spend what they don’t have. Just to maximise our potential and spend what that generates on making us better. That’s really where it starts and stops.

• BandB

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Ibizatoon,

Nah!

They wouldn’t…………

• Ibizatoon

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:28 AM

BandB…You know what, you make a compelling case. I think you may be right.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:32 AM

biz
    A sideline cameo in the 18th minute, Gutti is far from being a certainty to play in the next match. Ryan looked the model professional and was the only one able to play the ball out feom the back, plus offer a threat on goal.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:34 AM

lindisfarne

yes we all get that. It’s more the pre-match banter with mates than the game that’s the appeal these days, so surely for a couple of matches couldn’t pals meet up and watch it in a pub?

We are not talking long termism, just a couple of half empty stadiums would send a message where everything else has failed.

To not want to do this for the greater good just seems selfish and people have no room to complain if they won’t do a thing about it and finally make a stand.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:40 AM

Playing Guti – not sure
    But got to play Taylor as he is the only person in the club who is able to take a decent free kick.
    Mind you was surprised at Sammi’s corners on Saturday – whipped some beauties over. If Ryan not playing maybe’s give Sammi a go with free kicks.
    Wouldn’t mine seeing us on Wednesday starting with Riviere, Perez and Cisse up front to have a real go at their defence – the movement of Perez and Riviere and the poaching of Cisse could cause them loads of problems. We are safe now so Carver give it a go.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:43 AM

My team would be
    Krul
    Janmaat, Colocinni, Williamson, Hiadara (Taylor)
    Sissoko, Abeid, Ameobi
    Riviere, Cisse, Perez

• BoyDoneGood

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:46 AM

B&B

I’m trying to make sense of your point. Has Mike Ashley singlehandedly driven away working class supporters and taxied in thousands of city slickers and hooray henrys? That is indeed a dastardly plot, but surely it can be put right when the Red Revolution Comes Along, when his wealth is residtributed to the masses, and he swings from the Tyne Bridge with a sign pinned to his chest: two legs bad, four legs good.

Well, sort of. I’m presuming the guy that punched the police horse was a chartered accountant with a plummy accent; and those guys they coommemmorate on 17 mins – commodity brokers?

What on earth has this fantasy got to do with whether “we” ineffectually spend £100M we haven’t got, or even more ineffectually spend £40M we have got, on players who may turn out to be millstones?

• Rotonda heights

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:46 AM

charlie

like the look of that team but doubt carver will be ” brave” enough

• geordie157

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Think Gutierrez will come off the bench on Weds. Is Cabella back in contention? Riviere should start again, if he can get a goal i think we’ll see his confidence go up a lot.

I’m starting to think Aarons won’t play for us again and we’ll lose him in the summer.

• BandB

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Boy Done Good,

Straw man argument.

Jeff will be on waving his order papers and snorting in a minute, followed by………

• bladeuser

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Lets take a moment here on football terms when he was playing jonas was being torn to shreds on this blog pardew dropped him he ended up at norwich he was nearly bought by an agentinian club and for whatever reason fell through now he get on the bench and possibly a game against man u puely on football terms this has to be a joke it just proves what a tiny middle of the road club we are with morons in charge and a caretaker manager who would kiss ashleys feet in the centre circle in front of one man and his dog controling 50 thousand sheep i am so glad i now fill my time on a sat with meaningfull stuff than watch rubbish in a morgue and when we appear on the tv watch but switch channels often to relieve the boredom

• BandB

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Boy Done Good,

I clearly referred to changes since the early eighties. I think that was a while before Ashley came.

I didn’t refer to Ashley, because Ashley wasn’t part of my point.

But the sight of you fighting the wrong fire (again) suits me.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:59 AM

BoyDoneGood,
    Why would it have to be spent ineffectually? Unless your point, has nothing to do with money, and is that nobody at the club is capable of making good and sensible footballing decisions.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Rotonda

I was not preaching but summing up my experience and although stiffled by the limited ability shown on the pitch, it was a pleasure. I tried to gauge opinion and assess the possibility for a demonstration, but I was with died in the wool season ticket holders, day trippers and kids. The lure of the 3 oclock lick off created a tunnel vision effect that prevented the consideration of social justice and especially as the eagerness of the mass was determined to claim their individual right to a seat, whatever the spectacle.

I do not know the numbers but the Anti march in the morning probably had more attending than those willing to show their displeasure towards NUFC.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Rotonda
    Why notCarver give it a go – I’m not to bothered if we get beat – we are safe BUT I would rather see us going for it put a bit of enjoyment back into St. James’ Park

• BoyDoneGood

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:12 AM

B&B

But why did you address it to me (it has nothing to do with my points)? And, Ashley or not, is the changing demographic a problem? And if so, what are you wanting to happen? And, again, why tell me? All my mates who went in the seventies, eighties, n… were Newcastle University graduates from Kent, Yorkshire, Ireland, Scotland, Jarrow… I suppose the Kommissars could organise some Larn-Yersel-Geordie re-education.

• BandB

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Boy Done Good,

If you weren’t such an out-and-out-Ashley tankie, I would develop my point, just for you.
    But I think there is probably too much noise going on inside your head to listen.
    My points had nothing to do with Ashley. So please stop ridiculously suggesting they did.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:20 AM

BDG

Ah elwis find this a class help when talkin wi’ the locals.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:26 AM

BoyDoneGood…I’m at a loss to understand what it is you’re suggesting here.

We can either over spend or save, doesn’t seem to be any allowance for smart investment.

How does a club move forward without buying players and how does a club buy players without running the risk of them being millstones?

I guess just buy cheap and hope for the best?

• catchy in norway

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:28 AM

lesh

to answer a question from yesterday,

I seriously dislike Charver, I don’t think he has any idea how football should be played,
    pardew could say the right thing at the right time , but could not keep track of what he had said , that’s what got him in trouble,

charver has no clue what to say, all he knows is pardew blew his own trumpet a lot, so he thinks that’s what he should do,

he can take credit for the win all he likes, but what he is taking credit for was a poorly set up team that was playing against a team that was better set up but had no confidence, and that team is all set to go down ,

colo, janmaat and cisse , deserve credit for the 3 points

im disgusted in hearing that charver didn’t know that Sammy can take corners, he has been the attacking coach for 4 years now, why didn’t he know,

the guy is a prize turkey at bes

• BoyDoneGood

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

It wouild be ineffectual because it’s not enough. Newcastle has the 9th most expensive squad. If we spent an extra £50M we’d have the 9th most expensive squad (and some of the £50M would have to be used for the extra wages, and anyway 30% of £130M is less than £40M…) The top 4 most expensive squads are Arsenal £343m, Man C £368M, Man U £374M and Chelsea £425M. We can’t buy into that league unless we spend over £230M plus the extra wages, say a quarter of a billion. I’ve pointed out before that you get what you pay for. The top 7 money clubs (including Liverpool £273M, Spurs £231M and So’ton £167M) occupy the top 7 places. That’s why spending a few million here or there is ineffectual. Longer term, there could be a push to break through, but not by frittering money away in dribs and drabs. One really interesting timebomb is Man C. If the published figures are right, most lower half PL squads have an average age of 28, most upper half 26, for obvious reasons, but City have an average age of 30. They are already operating under ffp penalties – fine and squad restriction – and when those talented geriatrics need to be moved on, they’ll sell at a massive depreciation. Remember Leeds. So the crème de la crème are not absolutely a permanent fixture, but spending every penny as it comes in – keeping enough back for wages and depreciation – will not do it.

• BoyDoneGood

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:56 AM

B&B

Just for me? What does it have TO DO with me? And why are you suddenly back to Ashley? I thought you said it wasn’t about Ashley? I don’t give two hoots whether it’s Ashley or some other rich man in charge. I suippose “tankie” implies some sort of allegiance, does it?

Ibizatoon

Yes – spend smart. That doesn’t mean rushing off to Poundland every time you earn a quid, or immediately putting all your winnings from the 2.30 on whatever looks to be the least bad option in the 2.45. My intuition is that we’ll see some attempt at smart spending and joined up thinking this summer – or perhaps a new owner. Most folk here disagree – well, only three months to wait. But WHATEVER Ashley’s gang do or don’t do, there’s still no logic in rushing off to Poundland.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Okay, so the master plan is to save up £200m+ in cash and then we explode on to the scene?

So you’re not expecting much to happen this summer then?

I have to say, I find your view to be simplistic in the extreme.

You use Southamptons squad value, which is approximately £50m more than ours. But £50m spent on our squad wont make enough of an impact?

Whilst a guideline, we both know squad value doesn’t equate to league position. It’s probably worth noting our wage bill is £16m higher than Southamptons

Man City can do what they like. Once again, no one is asking for us to spend stupid money, just money we generate, which the club said they would do.

If we try and stockpile money, we will find ourselves falling further and further away on the playing field, to the point where no bank balance can make up the ground.

• The next Mike Williamson

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:01 AM

bit of a llike for like swap with Gouffran

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:03 AM

BoyDoneGood,
    Your entire argument points to you having very little interest in competitive sport, and are merely view it as a hobby. If that is your angle, fair enough.

By ‘top 7 money clubs’ do you mean value of squad? How much they spent on transfers/wages? You say we are now 9th, that may be the case, I’d have to look it up. Only a couple of years ago we were 7th. So despite the club making a profit we are moving backwards. Why should we be happy to accept moving backwards under Ashley?

Would an increased investment in a couple of very good players have made a difference to the football, to our ability to compete on the pitch with other clubs? Of course it would. There is money there, and any person interested in bettering the football at Newcastle United would be willing to spend some, if not all to push the club forward.

You seem to be viewing it purely from a business view, rather than from an actual fan of the sports view. There is a calculated coldness to your (dis)interest in the fortunes on the playing side, which makes you part of the problem that sports face when this quantity of money is involved.

• BoyDoneGood

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Lilongwe

One step at a time – competitive sport is not a hobby? Elaborate please.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:11 AM

BoyDoneGood,
    If we spent the money well, there is no reason with a sensible investment of the money that the club generates we couldn’t see ourselves challenging in the top 7 and playing good football. To do that and have the club still operating at a profit is a far better scenario is it not, then the money being stashed for a rainy day.

You use the argument that this summer will see proper investment or a sale. Something that Pardew was keen to tell us 12months ago regarding the summer past. I wonder whether the summer of 2016 will see the same.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:13 AM

BDG,
    Sorry, professional would have been a better word choice than competitive.

• Pop n Wyn

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Medi Abeid, seemed to be getting rid of the ball like it was on fire, it was all sideways and back, surely now and again u attack the space in front of u, I was not impressed at all, for me he has more than that in his locker, also a note to Mr Obertan, have u any idea at any time what you are going to do when u get the ball, he has talent but such a headless chicken.

• geordie157

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Ibiza,

good comments there. I think the head coach appointment will give us some idea of how the summer will pan out.

If by some miracle we do go on to spend 50mill in the summer, what’s the betting they forget to get a centre back over the line.

• BandB

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Boy Done Good,

I addressed it to you because I knew it would blow the lid off your box and prompt you into a morning of posting your highly persuasive views.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Anyway, no electricity here today, so I will have to continue this another time as I need to conserve battery power.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:24 AM

BDG

I am not totally against what you are saying. After all pardew had 50M worth of players (Cabella, MYM, HBA, etc etc) who hardly started under him, just rotting away.

Pardew span a lot about ”constraints”, to basically cover the fact he was a poor mediocre coach who could not get the best out of ”technical” players at his disposal.

Pardew was always only ever going to be a mid table manager no matter how much he was supported, basically because his stactics belong to another time and place.

My gripe with Ashley was not so much money spent or otherwise, it was and is his endless succession of disastrous managerial and staff appointents, ie drinking buddies with no credible qualifications to hold the positions they did / do.

I would much rather throw a 15M contract to a top coach and his crew to develop some players, rather than buying players who will fail under Carver

• Ibizatoon

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Lil…No electricity is a great money saving practice. As a Newcastle fan, I salute you!

Geordie57…Thanks. As always, his next move will signal his intentions. I still don’t understand why anyone thinks it will be different this time, but seeing as we have little choice at this stage, I’m happy to play along 🙂

As for forgetting a CB, we mustn’t forget if we get in a CB, then Colo, Willo, Staylor or one of our youth players wont be able to play.

Hopefully this is the summer where Barcelona comes calling for Willo.

• BoyDoneGood

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:30 AM

B&B

What are smoking? It didn’t “blow the lid off my box” (but thanks for the WUM confession, BTW), it just totally mystified me. It had nothing to do with anything I’d written.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Rotonda…That’s the obvious one. If you want to develop youth and keep costs down, pay the right money for the right coaches.

Still, the next area of problem is the mistruths from the club. We’re told we’re going to buy players, then when we don’t, we’re told we can’t really afford to.

Which is it?

If they gave everyone a clear picture of what where we’re going and how we’re trying to achieve it, then we’d know where we stand. The only reason I can think they don’t want to do this is because it’s not about developing our team in to the best it can be, but the most profitable it can be.

If something is working for Ashley, why would he change it?