Newcastle Tracking 6′ 2″ Nigerian Striker

There was news yesterday that Newcastle are interested in 25 year-old 6’2″ striker Odion Ighalo,  after his impressive spell this season with Watford, after he initially went on loan from Udinese for the season, but Watford decided to make the deal permanent last October.

Odion Ighalo

Odion Ighalo – 25 year-old Nigerian striker

Ighalo has been at a number of clubs and signed on at Udinese back in 2008, and since then been on loan at number of clubs, and only played 5 times for the Udinese first team.

But it’s this season that he has caught the eye at Watford,  and in 29 total appearances for Watford has 17 goals and 3 assists.

West Brom are also thought to be interested in the striker, as they will probably sell Saido Berahino to a bigger club for big bucks this summer.

The news was in the Sunday People yesterday – which of course also said that Southampton manager Ronald Koeman was high on Newcastle’s list of candidates for the head coach position.

But somehow we doubt that latter piece of news is true.

Newcastle must bring in at least one striker in the summer, and we are likely to be linked with quite a few of them until the end of August, but Ighalo has proved he can play in the tough Championship and score goals there.

He also has pace and is a physical type of player, which is what Newcastle will be looking for in the summer.

In his overall career at a number of clubs he has 48 goals and 10 assists in 161 total appearances.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• mindshaft

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Well if it’s from the same paper that said Koeman wants toon job it must be true – can’t unders why he would want to stay at a well financed club with ambition to challenge for top 4, come on Ronald, come to toon for easy mid table life

• welshgeordie9

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Never heard of him, next topic.

• Belfast

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:25 PM

I’ve seen him a few times for Watford.
    He looked ok nothing special.

• welshgeordie9

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:26 PM

3-0 win for us on Wednesday night, i can feel it in my water.

• Belfast

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Is your water contaminated with class a drugs?

• welshgeordie9

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:31 PM

I’m off my head anyway Belfast i don’t need to take any drugs.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:40 PM

More rumours about players we are not signing !!

More concerned about how we are not looking to keep some of our players Sammy deserves a deal and a run in the team and maybe Raylor on a pay as you play deal on a lesser wage I imagine he is good for the dressing room as well

Cisse is a worry we should be looking to keep him the guy has scored the goals that have got us points to keep us up this season without him we would be down already I honestly dont see the club getting a better striker for the money we are going to pay !His overall game has improved , better movement , holds the ball up and is hardly offside!

• JAMSHA(CARVER SLAYER)

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Yawwnnnnnn no more africans plzzz we already missd cisse, we cant loose more players while we suffer injurys every yr

• GeordieTwo

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:41 PM

I have a feeling we’re really going to spend big in the summer mates. Maybe as much as 5M pounds! No really, it’s going to be big. Another second division Spanish player and possibly a Dutch third division CB! It’s brilliant. Lee Charmless is right on top of it.

• MonkseatonMag

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Why do we need a striker when we already have Cisse, Rivierre, and Chucky (with Adam Campbell ready to come through)

Could it be that Cisse will be sold, Rivierre hasn’t made the grade, and as for Chucky where do we start?

I don’t think our chief scout is living up to his reputation.

• banjax

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Let’s see …. That must at least 20 strikers linked with Newcastle since December 2014 and at least another 35 for other positions in the team. Boring, boring.

• BandB

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:45 PM

There’s an England international winger who is desperate to sign for us.

• John Irving

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:47 PM

welsh
    I like the sound of 3-0. January 2012 we won 3-0 with Ba running Ferdi ragged. One of Pards best showings we bullied the. From the off.

• Belfast

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Who the nonce?

• Belfast

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Sorry suspected nonce.

• Belfast

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:49 PM

He could be innocent to be fair to him.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:50 PM

Belfast…I am afraid you might only like that one personality of his…

…he most be a bit unstable calling you that

• Mister Tuff

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:52 PM

TROLL/MULTIPLE ALERT.
    Klaxon and Hooter sounds.
    John Irving – another troll/multiple having a dig again. Just comes on to cause a ruck and wreck the blog.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:55 PM

Mike won’t change his stripes now. At least 35M pounds profit from last year. Mike feels like his got this footy malarkey sussed now. Spend little, say nothing, rake in the cash.

• optimistic prime

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:55 PM

Just because Jimmy Saville fixed it for Afam Johnson to play for Boro doesn’t make the lad a nonce, just naive 😉

• GeordieTwo

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:55 PM

John Irving are you going to cause trouble on here? Because I can send beermonkey over if I have to.

• Belfast

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:57 PM

I hear he just had a kid a few months ago to. This saga could destroy the kernts life.

• John Irving

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Geordie
    It’s not my turn.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:06 PM

GT…fong him 😉

• Belfast

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:09 PM

I’d invite you into the vip area Jesper, but it’s blog legends only lol

• BandB

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:12 PM

John Irving,

You said the other day that you were going to leave it with me.

I wish you would.

I am less convinced of the value of being flattered by sockpuppets than one or two others seem to be.

I mean. Praised by puppetry. Hosannah-ed by hosiery. Lauded by leggings.

Who needs it?

• John Irving

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:21 PM

BandB
    Your good value and not a slime ball. You have centre stage over and out.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:23 PM

Here it is lads. That next exciting interview you’ve all been waiting for:
    G2: Lee Charnley it’s a pleasure to talk to you. Can you tell us your thoughts about the club as it stands.
    Lee: Well I’m very excited G2. I strongly believe in this group of players. When I look out over the training ground I see nothing but purple. Purple, purple, purple. I’m convinced we’re within 5 years of challenging for 10th place. I’m convinced we’ll get at least one win in each cup almost every season. That’s what we’re building here.
    G2: horrified silence. Finally…..Ah I see Lee. Well thanks for that. I’ll pass this on to the supporters and get back to you.
    More horrified silence.

• BandB

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:25 PM

I wish you’d just be yourself, man.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Is John Irving bothering you BandB mate? I’ve already threatened to send beermonkey ’round but I could consider fonging him instead if you like?

• GeordieTwo

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:31 PM

129.7 M pounds revenue Mike. We’re watching closely. We need vast improvement of the squad. Get busy this summer Mike or expect trouble. As Shearer says people are not happy Mike. 👿

• John Irving

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Purple was Llambias.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Is that your comment John Irving? Is that it? Well I can see where this is going then. Hmmmm. Note to self: bring second fongbat on trip. One for Mike. One for John.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Big news here mates. Apparently Mike has discovered he can bring in a Filipino tea lady for next to nothing! Just imagine the savings! That money could go straight into Mike’s pocket. Get right on it Lee.