People May Have Gone Off Him – Could He Stay At Newcastle?

Papiss Cisse has had a great season for Newcastle, and he’s been in top form for the Magpies this season, when he’s played.

papiss cisse scores aston villa

Papiss Cisse – after scoring winner on Saturday

Papiss is coming off that broken knee-cap and it took some time for him to return to the side after his operation last summer.

But he finally did that at home to Hull City on September 20th, when he came off the bench with Newcastle 2-0 down and 20 minutes to play.

Papiss got Newcastle a valuable point with two goals in the last 16 minutes of the game. 😀

The Senegal striker has kept on scoring this season and John Carver has given his some credit today:.

“He’s on 11 goals now, and we’ve got 11 games left. If he keeps scoring every 84th minute, yes we have got a 20-goal-a-season man!”  “He’s a typical striker where he had that exceptional season and everything he hit the net. The following season he found it tough.”

“He picked up this injury and then went to the African Nations. It’s been a bit stop-start.” “But he’s a pleasure to work with every day. He’s always smiling.” “He’s always enjoying what he does. He wants to get better and better, which is great.”

“He shows so much enthusiasm, it’s easy for me to work with him.” “We’ve got to get the service to him.”  “Because he’s had the African Nations and the problem with his knee, people might have gone off him, but we have never gone off him.”

“We’ve stayed with him. I wanted him to stay and the club kept him, which was great.”

There’s just no doubt that Papiss is a terrific striker,  and we suppose if clubs have gone off him then maybe he’ll still be at Newcastle come August?

In early February John Carver had thanked Lee Charnley for not selling Papiss Cisse in the January transfer window, after Cisse was reportedly tempted by a massive financial package to join Al Ahli in the United Arab Emirates.

Most people would be asking why Newcastle didn’t strengthen that squad last January,  rather than thanking the top Newcastle executive for not selling a player who has scored a third of our Premier League goals this season.

But hey – that’s just my opinion.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Our Toon

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:26 PM

Our Toon

March 4, 2015

Jeff

Did you ever find where BRAZIL that world famous CLUB team is on the map?

Our Toon

March 4, 2015

Lindisfarne

I also think 442 is asking for trouble tonight. Man utd will control the midfield and the ball it’s important to press them though rather then standoff like we did against Citeh.

Raylor at LB or anywhere on the pitch is a massive liability, those clamouring for his return will soon be blasting carver for playing him there!!

• Graeme

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:34 PM

If somebody had put in a “Massive” bid for Cisse then Cisse would no longer be here. We all know thats how it works.

Obviously there was NO bid for Cisse – cos he’s still here.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Our Toon – I don’t think the Howlett Heedbanger is interested in finding out where that decent club side Brazil come from.
    In view of recent events he is now more interested in going to Tanzania -although he probably thinks it’s down south somewhere.

• Our Toon

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Mr T

Was having a debate with him last month regarding the poor running of nufc etc and asked him for an example of mismanagement to the level we’ve had here….His response was 98 world cup final when Nike forced Brazil to play fat Ron. Ever since I’ve been searching for that club side named Brazil

• optimistic prime

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:55 PM

NUFC unimpressed by Remi Garde but impressed by Carver.

They’ll never get Koeman over the line, or any other half decent manager, Carver has it nailed down.

I’m depressed

• Our Toon

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:07 PM

OP

Called it back in Jan buddy….Some still believe though

• catchy in norway

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:19 PM

i thinks it’s time people start getting on his back again for not scoring with every chance he gets ,,

me personally , I think he is great striker , just we don’t enough service to him or any of our forwards

• Mister Tuff

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:20 PM

our toon – yes I read that also the mix up between Bournemouth and Brighton. To be fair I think he admitted geography was not his strong point. I now hope he ads football to his list.

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:27 PM

The people JC refer to as having ‘gone off ‘ Cisse are probably the ones who last season said he wash a flash in the pan, not all that good after all striker. Of course those with a modicum of observational skills would realise he was straining to make something out of the pitiful service from midfield. He seems to have learned how to make the best of a bad job, we’re still woeful in midfield but he’s scoring anyway.

Lilongwe, I appreciate what you’re saying about our midfield, I’ve been rhyming on about our disarray in the middle of the park costing us goals at either end of the pitch. Sissoko is good when he can get those searing runs in but it’s his touch that let’s all that down. it’s clumsy. Far too little good comes at the end of his run when he gets near the area. Anita is a bust. Gouffran has no pace or skill to be used on the wing or even am. Colback I maintain despite how the figures play out, the old fashioned what he actually looks like on the pitch approach tells you he is a utility mid with very little vision or creativity. We need better, much better.

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Our Toon, I think he means Brazil Rovers, I think they’re in the Evostik league south or something. Easy mistake to make.
    😉

• Mister Tuff

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:34 PM

We really do not have anybody with “good vision” in midfield -since Cabaye left. Colback is a workhorse, he does not make many mistakes but is not the type of player with a consistant creative output.
    Sissoko has great power and acceleration – he often runs into dead ends where he doesn’t get the bounce back – but sometimes he does it’s a 50/50 gamble sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.
    For tonight I just cannot see us getting a result 3 – 1 to Man U.

• cyprus

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:38 PM

Abeid must step it up tonight. If the defense is as solid as in the last game, we have a chance.

I like the sissoko-colback partnership. Been years since we had a comparable pair.

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:38 PM

Manure aren’t as loaded with skilled players as Citeh, but they’re a a tight unit who seem to be settling in to life at the top after their recent problems. I can’t see us winning, but maybe it’ll be only 1 or 2 -0. If we get a draw I think our season is safe, and so coincidentally will be JC.
    🙁

• cyprus

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Cabaye would eventually be on the bench. Flatters to deceive. Too often he lost the MF, then committed rash fouls.

• lesh

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:42 PM

Carver wouldn’t challenge Charnley and demand some players in January. But Carver would thank Charnley for not selling Cisse. What a spineless person he is – not fit for purpose!!

• cyprus

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Lesh,
    I get your point but it’s a bit unfair. The man was hardly in a job, he was in no position to challenge for anything really. It doesn’t mean he’s spineless. Neither would you nor I, in that situation.

• lesh

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Our Toon.

I think we were voices in the January wilderness and I still see Carver being given the HC job in June. The recruitment process was a typical Ashley charade.

I hope I’m wrong and see a credible coach appointed but that would suggest ambition on Ashley’s part.

So, Carver it’ll be!

• lesh

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Cyprus

Carver was appointed interim HC so in that context one would expect him to act the part and say his piece.

That’s what HCs and managers are for isn’t it? Or is his

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Or is his what?

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Sissoko and Colback partnership? Is it a partnership? I can’t figure out how that works I have to say.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Lesh…Why would he say anything? The sqaud depth is fine. Sure we have more than average injuries, but we shant make excuses. Ashley has provided squad depth and JC can handle it. It’s all good.

We’re aiming to get as many points as possible this season – how is that not ambitious?!?

• lesh

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Cyprus

Sorry for the disjointed post – my phone’s playing up.

By saying say his piece, demand, perhaps strongly recommend would have been more appropriate.

He shouldn’t have to thank Charnley for not doing something stupid, don’t you agree?

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Lesh – or is his what? Tell us!

• Ibizatoon

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Tsunki…Have some patience man. A kitchen isn’t fit in a day…or something along those lines.

• lesh

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Yes Ibiza, the squad depth and its quality completely slipped my mind!

Forgive the oversight.

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:57 PM

I suppose a victory this season would be if we got more points than crystal palace. Woop. Woop.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:57 PM

I have to eat crow about Cisse. I was one of the people who thought he would never recover his form. Yet here he is keeping us in the Prem almost by himself. His timing is back and now and then he even holds the ball up well. Well done Cisse. I couldn’t have been more wrong about you.

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Jc should thank charners for keeping him employed I suppose. But that’s doing something stupid.

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Kaaaw! Kaaaaaw!

🙂

• GeordieTwo

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Yes Ibiza mate! One day we shall become a fully mediocre side under JC and Lee and Mike! It’s so exciting! I can see a 12th place finish for us this season. And next season we may do even worse! As Senior Official Club Journo AND Official Blog Hobbit I’m planning a series of reports on this. Stay tuned.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Tsunki, I’m watching you mate. Harrumph! 😆

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:02 PM

I don’t know how JC finds the time for all his manuscripted soundbitery what with shaping the team up for a dignified defeat, washing the U-18’s kit and siliconing round the pan in the executive traps. He’s a workaholic that man. No job too small.

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Watching me like a hawk, or a Crow, G2?

😀

• GeordieTwo

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Ibiza mate, we all know you are just as concerned about the club as we are. We have the money in the club now to spend responsibly. The profit was at least 30M last season. Personally I would pay half of that to Mike’s loan and spend the other 15M on players, plus whatever else is safe to spend on players this summer. Get rid of Willo. Ask Jonas to retire. Get rid of Obertan. Move Gouffy on. Replace them all with better players. And that’s just for starters. Get a good head coach (if anyone wants a job with that title and lack of power). It’s got to be done Ibiza.

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:05 PM

G2 are you in Canada? It sounds like it from your accent. And your words are faded like they’ve come a long way.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Watching you from the shadows with a honey badger in a sack Tsunki. Be careful. Be very careful.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:06 PM

I’m where you least expect me to be Tsunki. That ominous growling sound you hear now and then? That’s me and the honey badger.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Remember Tsunki, honey badger don’t give a sh*t. Once I drop him down your pants you’ll have more than enough to be busy with.

• toon kk

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:10 PM

G2
    Your right Cisse is actually the only one keeping us up. We haven’t got another goal scorer in our squad. Remy kept us up last season.
    We should be in the championship really Mash is taking a hell of a gamble.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:12 PM

JC is also devising new ways to praise the owner, spit polishing Lee’s shoes, and practicing his Geordie Head Butt. It’s a lot to do Tsunki.