This Striker Can Still Come Good At Newcastle

From what we saw Of Manu Riviere on Saturday he looks a decent player but what he really needs is his first Premier League goals to give him that confidence every striker needs.

Emmanuel Riviere -3

Manu Riviere – can still come good

Manu likes playing with a partner up front and for the first time for a long time Carver played two strikers in a 4-4-2 formation.

Riviere turned 25 yesterday and he got the nod over 21 year-old Ayoze Perez who has had a great first season for us, and managed to hit the bar in the second half on Saturday after he had come on as a sub.

“I feel for him a little bit because he is waiting for that first league goal. He has been working extremely hard.”

“I thought it was an important time to get Perez out of it because he;s been one of our main strikers, he’s a young lad.”

“Ayoze is coming from a different culture. Riviere has worked hard, he has stayed with it, he has been great in training, so I thought it was time for an opportunity.”

“I got Papiss and Manu in the office and told them I was going to go with two strikers, and both their eyes lit up because they’ve both wanted someone to work with.”

“They both got a little bit of a lift from that. His physical stats from the amount of football he has had have been excellent.”

That’s good man management from John Carver.

And Manu has remained professional and positive this season after scoring 13 goals in 30 appearances for Monaco last season.

And of course it does take time for players to settle in England – just look at how difficult Angel Di Maria is finding it at the Red Devils.

Fab Coloccini and Kevin Nolan are two players who also found it difficult when they first arrived on Tyneside, but both went on to have good careers at the club and became the captain too.

We are certainly not writing off Emmanuel Riviere,  and maybe he can get a birthday goal tonight for Newcastle – that would be great for both club and player.

For the record, Manu has played 20 times for Newcastle with two goals scored in the Capital One Cup.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• John Tudor

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:20 AM

are you still being fooled all of the time?/?????

• Jeff from Benwell

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Riviere will come good I’m sure .
    A regular 15 goals a season player , with twice as many assists.

• Go toon gooooo

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Riviere is solid player.He keeps the ball securely,great and precise passes and he is wise player.In one word very useful player-hard worker.Carlos Tevez type of player.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Jeff,
    Regular 15 goal a season player? I take it that post is dripping with sarcasm?

• Lindisfarne

I would prefer:

Riviere–Cisse
    Sissoko
    Sammy–Abeid–R.Taylor
    Anita–Collo–Willo–Janmaat
    Krul

If Colback was not suspended I would play him at LB permanently, as he has quality but not sufficient for midfield.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Next season (?):

Riviere–Cisse–Cabella
    Sammy–Abeid–Sissoko
    Colback–Dummett–Lascelles–Janmaat
    Darlow

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Lindisfarne,
    Why hasn’t Colback got enough quality for midfield? He has been our most productive midfielder so far. 3 goals and 4 assists in the league, despite playing a far deeper role than Sissoko who has managed just 2 of each and is talked about as a £20million player!

Colback has more key passes per game, more tackles, more interceptions and less fouls than Sissoko as well.

I don’t think Colback is anything special, but then again none of the others are either. Abeid may do better, but he needs to show it consistently before it can be said for certain.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Cyprus (from yesterday)

I mentioned an unofficial banner produced by supporters as an alternative because any talk of demonstrations or non-attendance would simply not work in any significant numbers. Your response is typical in that it is divisive and it is for this reason that I was not suggesting what should be put on the banner, because there is no clear majority with a logical objective.

The club is renowned for its supporters but at the moment there is little to be proud of and cheer. A banner in the stadium is my updated suggestion, as it does not call on fans to remove their support, question their loyalty to the team and produces a symbol of our dissatisfaction. I agree with a lot of your points that you made but I am for ever waiting and waiting; and being told that the good of the club is important. But the evidence is quite clear that it is not at all sacrosanct.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

It is only based on a gut feeling and I am glad for your statistical evidence, I do not accuse him of making only backward passes, but he does give away a lot of free kicks through being caught to high up the pitch. Which leads me to question his positional sense but then again he is far to relied upon to do two roles in defense/attack.

I may suggest that playing at LB should not stop him from producing goals, assists, tackles, interceptions and being productive. As he has the quality to do a decent job on the field and unlike Haidara may be able to cross the ball and not hit the first defender.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:04 AM

#….backward passes…like others on the blog.

• John Tudor

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Thousands of empty Newcastle v Man Utd seats – Mike Ashley policy – See more at: http://www.themag.co.uk/2015/03/thousands-empty-newcastle-v-man-utd-seats-due-mike-ashley-policy/?#sthash.NLdkK5T4.dpuf
    greedy greedy man

• stan anderson

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Not impressed with Remi Garde,haha.
    More likely he told them to stick it up there Arse as far as they could get it.
    Not to worry we have Super Geordie John Carvup.#
    Shambolic club.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Just another suggestion that is open for debate; if Sammy could extend his range of passing from taking corners he could eventually play the Pirlo position. He is more defensively astute than Sissoko and has the legs for a far reaching tackle. If he was in the DM position with Sissoko and Abeid in front of him they would break up the play and the ball could come back for him to distribute.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Lindisfarne,
    I don’t disagree with much of that, but I don’t think any of the central midfielders that have played regularly are any different. Sissoko is just as guilty of giving away free kicks (Only Tiote has committed more fouls per game played than Sissoko), and he flatters to deceive going forward.

It is too early to say Abeid can provide the answer, although in time he could be our best midfielder. Until then, we haven’t anyone who can fill Colbacks role sufficiently well to be able to move him from midfield in my opinion.

• John Tudor

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:22 AM

carver now bigging up daryl to manure

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Lindisfarne,
    Interesting thought re Sammi. Not sure I fully agree. There would need to be a lot more work done than just improving his range of passing imo. I have to head off, but will carry this on another time.

• martoon

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:26 AM

John Tudor @13 – It’s b*gger all to do with Mike Ashley but more to do with it is being played on a cold Wednesday night and lot of people have work commitments, kids have school etc. plus it is live on BT sports.

• John Tudor

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:29 AM

you obviously have not read it correctly
    the hand is up

• Jeff from Benwell

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:30 AM

John Tudor
    The Mag team needs to make their minds up.
    Do they want an empty stadium or not ?
    Surely if there are lots of unsold tickets it is the perfect opportunity to boycott , but will they boycott when the opposition is Manure ?
    I think not
    The Mag and NUST = bunch of hypocrites

• John Tudor

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:32 AM

how do you know it will be cold? my kids finish school at 3-30! and lots do not have BT sports and furthermore you could pay at the gate

• John Tudor

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:33 AM

i know i wont return till the greedy gets gone

• Jeff from Benwell

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:33 AM

I hope everyone realises , that if NUFC win against Manure tonight then , JC will become virtually unsackable.

• WWSBRD

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Sammy in CDM would require him to do too much work where he would fail miserably imo. He cant last a match on the wing where he rests regularly in the middle he would need to work a lot harder which hes just not able to do for me, plus he would be crowded out far quicker and his inability to win headers…well actually that would just make him fit right in with our current set up in the middle

• WWSBRD

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Haha how do u know it’ll be a cold night? Its Newcastle mate

As for articles coming out of The MAG I honestly cant remember reading one that was worth my time, even if the stadium is half empty tonight (which it wont be) I doubt it’ll have much to do with Ashley more what martoon said for me

• Lindisfarne

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:44 AM

I just like the idea of having:
    ————Sissoko
    Sammy—————Abeid
    as a midfield line up, in which ever configuration. Their stature should scare the cr#p out of any other team and be difficult to get through with good attacking ability.

• martoon

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:46 AM

John Tudor @22 – Yes kids finish at 3.30 but they have school the next day and it will obviously be a late finish! A lot of people do have BT sports because it is still free with BT brodband – failing that a lot watch on a stream.
    You really are splitting hairs – the fact is the low attendance is because it is on a Wednesday night, if it was a weekend then the attendance would be as per normal. I’m not defending Ashley just saying can’t be blamed for this one!

• Lindisfarne

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:49 AM

It will be interesting to compare all the spectator figures for tonights matches with their regular attendance.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:02 PM

WWSBRD

Sammys lack of energy could be due to not playing at the same level for a whole season, I don’t know as I am no expert but would think it could be improved. I also think he resembles N’zonzi at Stoke who started out as a tall CF and moved back, Sammy certainly does not have the quality to make it any further forward and looks doubtful as a winger, although regularly helps in a defensive role. So I am thinking he should either go which would be a waste, or claim a starting position and make it his own.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Next season (?):

——-Aarons———–Perez
    ——————–SDJ
    ——–Sammy———–Sissoko
    ——————-Abeid
    Colback-Dummett-Lascelles-Janmaat
    ——————Darlow

• GeordieInSunderland

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Jeff in Benwell I agree and if we beat Sunderland he will get an eight year contract

• toon kk

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:11 PM

If Newcastle hadn’t done so well under the KK and SBR eras people wouldn’t be quite so pd off at the lack of ambition today, having said that people wouldn’t have been so proud of an club that has turned into a absolute joke.

we’re not a football club anymore we’re a business that happens to play football.
    One day people might realise that.

• GeordieInSunderland

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM

For the record Colback ahs been our best player this season with Janmatt.

Sissoko runs up blind alleys to ofteen

• WWSBRD

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Lindisfarne
    I dont think Sammy has ever had any stamina mate, he cant last a whole match I just dont think he could cope with a CM role. Though in all honesty I think he is a decent winger, often beats his man and has some decent crosses (just no one ever in the box for him to find) hes not world class but hes more than workable in our team. I will nail my flag to the cross and say I want him to get a new contract

Aarons gets raved about but Sammy has done far more to merit an extension imo

• toon kk

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:29 PM

How way lads our whole squad is poor with about half a dozen decent players in it, and it shows on the pitch and has for some time.

• dazzler

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:40 PM

I wish Carver would shut up. I am starting to dislike him on a Pardew-esque level now. I seriously hope there is no truth in the Garde rumours, he could be awful and still be better than Carver. At least the initial language barrier would prevent him from talking completely out his arse.

• Jeff from Benwell

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:54 PM

I can see the headline now
    “Manu scores a hattrick against Man U”

• toon kk

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Carver is just a arse licker, who is out of his depth.
    But our squad badly needs a revamp or any manager/ coach will struggle, I can’t see MA parting with his beloved cash so expect more dross next season and for many to come. We’re a business which also advertises SD.

• Tsunki

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Hmm I know we all love some statty goodness now and then but using them to prove that colback has been one of our best players shows the flaw in relying on deceptive figures. He’s gone whole games where his name has been barely mentioned he’s spent hours running around after shadows and being out of position. Poor discipline. Sideways play and non productive, low vision passing. He fills a gap is all, he has nothing to build on either. I’d rather play Jonas at least he has some skill and the vision to get the ball forward.